Why is the media promoting transgenderism so heavily?

I usually stay out of threads like this.....but I have to ask......
Why is this even an issue?
What difference does it make if we are seeing transgender in the media? Seriously - how is this any different to any other minority group?
Your life isn't going to change in any major way just because transgender people become more understood/accepted.

Your family won't break down, your job won't disappear, your rights aren't infringed, your identity won't be stolen....

So what, exactly, is the problem?

My Economics teacher has literally said the same thing.

*backs away slowly*

:D

I usually stay out of threads like this.....but I have to ask......
Why is this even an issue?
What difference does it make if we are seeing transgender in the media? Seriously - how is this any different to any other minority group?
Your life isn't going to change in any major way just because transgender people become more understood/accepted.

Your family won't break down, your job won't disappear, your rights aren't infringed, your identity won't be stolen....

So what, exactly, is the problem?

Yes, why is it an issue? I want to know why. There are lots of things I want to understand even though they don't necessarily affect my life. Why is that a problem for you?

Yes, why is it an issue? I want to know why. There are lots of things I want to understand even though they don't necessarily affect my life. Why is that a problem for you?

You made the thread..... you tell me why.
Obviously something about this is causing you to question.

A question for the floor. A few months ago, Gavin McInnes published an article on Thought Catalog called "Transphobia is Perfectly Nat.ural"

After much complaint, the article was censored. Here is what you see if you go to the link:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/gavin-mcinnes/2014/08/transphobia-is-perfectly-natural/

For those who did not read the article, I did. It definitely was over the top, and very inflammatory. Intentionally so, in my opinion.

Do you agree that it should have been taken down?

Really? That must be why Men pretty much UNANIMOUSLY across the board hold all the physical prowess records for speed/strength....

Because no female competitor ever wanted it bad enough.:rolleyes: buushit.

"Scientific" conjecture aside until there is at least SOME evidence, real world kind that women can "Hulk Smash" just as hard as men.....I'm calling bullshit.

JUST ONE video of ANY woman going water boy and dominating the NFL......creaming 300 pounders across the field every Sunday. UFC girl beating GSP retarded in the octagon. Let's see ANY girls smashing their elite male counterparts.....where are the records??

Just ONE win for women over men in the "Hulk Smash!" department and I'll STFU, admit I was wrong about it and totally re-consider my stance on women physical prowess over men in the brute strength department.

Bot. No one wants you to stfu. Not even bad enough for the 3 seconds it would take to google something like that. It's more fun watching you be a sexist douchebag. I'm sure there are hundreds or thousands or whatever cases of women being stronger then men. Even just by sheer statistics.

But, back to what I was originally saying, and to help answer wq's question, representation is important because these are the people who bring to light the fundamental problems with the way our society treats gender. And that's an issue that extends beyond transgendered people into the realm of everyone in the society. We've already seen how defensive some people get about sports, but we've got this same gender standard permeating every level of society, from the toys children play with to the jobs adults hold. Transgendered spokespeople talk about these issues in ways that are generally reserved for feminists and MRAs, who have problems within the movement, and another voice is a welcome addition.

A question for the floor. A few months ago, Gavin McInnes published an article on Thought Catalog called "Transphobia is Perfectly Nat.ural"

After much complaint, the article was censored. Here is what you see if you go to the link:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/gavin-mcinnes/2014/08/transphobia-is-perfectly-natural/

For those who did not read the article, I did. It definitely was over the top, and very inflammatory. Intentionally so, in my opinion.

Damn it, I've explained this fucking article three times on this goddamn site. I do not want to do it again.

Read the thread. She clearly presents her ill sentiments. She is jealous of transgender support and advocacy distracting from the aid of poor people. It's not a bad feeling, but it's stated...albeit poorly. :rolleyes: But stated.

I wouldn't venture an opinion, having not read it or being familiar with the standards of that particular website.

If you look at my recent threads, almost all of them are questioning what I see going on in the US. I am questioning a LOT of things these days. There is a common theme but I am not ready to string it together because I haven't figured things out in my mind. That is the purpose of this thread and my other recent ones.

I wouldn't venture an opinion, having not read it or being familiar with the standards of that particular website.

I can tell you that this particular website has few standards. It is a typical click bait site. Anyone can submit an article.

About Thought Catalog

IDEALS

Thought Catalog contributors should strive to make their writing fun, smart, and creative, i.e., entertaining, journalistic, and literary.

The site should be clean and clutter-free.

We believe all thinking is relevant and strive for a value-neutral editorial policy governed by openness. The more worldviews and rhetorical styles on the site, the better. We want to tell all sides of the story and generate dialogue.

We’re about today. But our mission is also archival. We want to catalog the times for tomorrow.

We want to help shape culture by empowering you to share your ideas and stories with the world.

Here is a Forbes article on it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewnewton/2012/02/08/thought-catalog-and-the-new-age-of-confessional-media/

Last edited:

It's a comedy site specializing in satirical content that is meant to be offensive.

Huh. So apparently some consumers don't know that this is a comedy site and think that the authors are being serious, and as a result, 53 authors are asking that their work be removed because it's adversely affecting their career.

http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/im-requesting-work-removed-thought-catalog/

http://jezebel.com/why-53-writers-have-asked-thought-catalog-to-remove-the-1623468328

Last edited:
Read the thread. She clearly presents her ill sentiments. She is jealous of transgender support and advocacy distracting from the aid of poor people. It's not a bad feeling, but it's stated...albeit poorly. :rolleyes: But stated.

I didn't get the impression that she was expressing "ill sentiments". Her style is bold, and she sometimes seems more hostile than she intends.

I am sympathetic to her complaint that the media ignore the problems of the economically disadvantaged in order to focus on trendy causes. And let's face it, even though the number of transpeople is small, members of the media elite are still more likely to know one than to actually know a poor person.

But, at the same time, how many people have to belong to a particular group before we, as a society, decide to accept their full humanity?

It's a comedy site specializing in satirical content that is meant to be offensive.

If it were meant to be offensive, it would not have censored that article. :rolleyes:

It is meant to be click bait. Some clicks are out of hate and some are out of love.

Bot. No one wants you to stfu. Not even bad enough for the 3 seconds it would take to google something like that. It's more fun watching you be a sexist douchebag. I'm sure there are hundreds or thousands or whatever cases of women being stronger then men. Even just by sheer statistics.

Pointing out records = sexist douchebag now?

Show me the records/championships or title fights.......can't find any of them.

Worlds fastest runners...all male.

Worlds heaviest lifters...all male.

Worlds best full contact sports teams...all male.

Must be because no woman in the history of competition has ever wanted it bad enough right? :confused:

Last edited:
I can tell you that this particular website has few standards. It is a typical click bait site. Anyone can submit an article.

About Thought Catalog

IDEALS

Thought Catalog contributors should strive to make their writing fun, smart, and creative, i.e., entertaining, journalistic, and literary.

The site should be clean and clutter-free.

We believe all thinking is relevant and strive for a value-neutral editorial policy governed by openness. The more worldviews and rhetorical styles on the site, the better. We want to tell all sides of the story and generate dialogue.

We’re about today. But our mission is also archival. We want to catalog the times for tomorrow.

We want to help shape culture by empowering you to share your ideas and stories with the world.

Here is a Forbes article on it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewnewton/2012/02/08/thought-catalog-and-the-new-age-of-confessional-media/

Sounds to me like they violated their own stated principles.

I didn't get the impression that she was expressing "ill sentiments". Her style is bold, and she sometimes seems more hostile than she intends.

I am sympathetic to her complaint that the media ignore the problems of the economically disadvantaged in order to focus on trendy causes. And let's face it, even though the number of transpeople is small, members of the media elite are still more likely to know one than to actually know a poor person.

But, at the same time, how many people have to belong to a particular group before we, as a society, decide to accept their full humanity?

I acknowledged that and said myself it's not a bad thing to think. :confused: But there seems to be a tactless, underlying anger towards another group of people, which is just counterproductive to what she is arguing.

Show me the records/championships or title fights.......can't find any of them.

Worlds fastest runners...all male.

Worlds heaviest lifters...all male.

Worlds best full contact sports teams...all male.

Must be because no woman in the history of competition has ever wanted it bad enough right? :confused:

It has nothing to do with not wanting it badly enough. Maybe you should read the links I posted. Also, I'll just take your word for that, even tho it sounds like something that you would say at an anti-sufferigette meeting and not in 2014.

You are correct.
I write in a very straight forward style and in fact strive to have no tone at all.

Non political example of my writing style and attempt at lack of tone

That comes across as hostile to many people (which of course means I perhaps should edit myself if I want to be better understood); a few days ago Kitty sent me a PM to which I gave a straight forward answer which made her flip out.

You are correct.
I write in a very straight forward style and in fact strive to have no tone at all.

Non political example of my writing style and attempt at lack of tone

That comes across as hostile to many people (which of course means I perhaps should edit myself if I want to be better understood); a few days ago Kitty sent me a PM to which I gave a straight forward answer which made her flip out.

Hi. Nope; you were being snippy. Not that he asked what you and I briefly discussed. And believe me, skittles, I am the last person offended by harsh tone.

You may proceed.

It has nothing to do with not wanting it badly enough.

Then what? You said women are just as strong as men in the pure brute strength department....time to back it up or admit you were blowing hot air cupcake.

Maybe you should read the links I posted. Also, I'll just take your word for that, even tho it sounds like something that you would say at an anti-sufferigette meeting and not in 2014.

Records are records man it's not some sexist agenda that guys can dead lift/bench press several hundred lbs more than the worlds strongest women and run sprints/marathons several seconds/min faster than the worlds fastest women.

So show me evidence of women being on par with men in the brute strength department or get off your "YOUZ SO SEXIST FOR POINTING OUT REAL WORLD DIFFERENCES!!" high horse.

Not opinions, not sociological theory crafting or odd ball hypothesis driven by a political agenda.

I want FACTS...DATA...something supporting your assertion that women got just as much brute strength as men. That the only reason they don't compete is because it's in their head that they can't....not the fact that he's 2-3x her size with up to 6x the muscle mass...nope. It's a societal mind job at work there right?

That about sum it up??

Last edited:
Back