A rude englishman in the US

StrangeLife

Eater of beef
The Brits have a copy of the Steve Wilkos Show - i.e. a reality liedetector/DNA show where the host is rude to the guests - named the Jeremy Kyle Show, and apparently he has taped shows in the US too.

I just watched him saying something like...

"Grow a pair man. Are you completely off your trolley? The slag has you snookered arse over tit. She’s a dirty little liar."

... to an African-American couple who'd probably never set foot outside Bed-Sty NY. They were staring at each other with an expression like, "Huh?"

When it comes to proper English it seems that we don't have complete consensus across the channel. And it is kinda funny to watch a small skinny dude in a suit call a huge black ghetto-queen, complete with bad attitude and purple hair-hat, "a little lier."

:D

An interesting observation. Obviously my knowledge of Steve Wilkos is NIL, but I have watched several of the Jeremy Kyle, which show seems to have migrated to the 'States and now back as 'Jeremy Kyle, USA' or something.

His avowed attitude is based upon honesty in personal relationships and the resolution of problems therein. If he has to use DNA and similar stuff to prove to Person A that Person B is a liar (or whatever), he'll do it. He's backed up by experts and advisers of various sorts and occasionally, it is fun to watch. Fun that is, provided you are NOT the one in the hot seat taking the flack.

An interesting observation. Obviously my knowledge of Steve Wilkos is NIL, but I have watched several of the Jeremy Kyle, which show seems to have migrated to the 'States and now back as 'Jeremy Kyle, USA' or something.

His avowed attitude is based upon honesty in personal relationships and the resolution of problems therein. If he has to use DNA and similar stuff to prove to Person A that Person B is a liar (or whatever), he'll do it. He's backed up by experts and advisers of various sorts and occasionally, it is fun to watch. Fun that is, provided you are NOT the one in the hot seat taking the flack.

You can get a load of Steve here. He is more of a straight shooter, as in "You're a lying dirtbag!"

But maybe Jeremy Kyle is talking straight, as perceived by UK ears. It's only that to an American he sounds kinda... "indirect." It's not just the language itself but the delivery too. It's interesting to observe that it only takes a few centuries for two countries with similar linguistic roots to evolve distinctly different dialects. In a few hundred years we may not even speak the same language anymore...

You can get a load of Steve here. He is more of a straight shooter, as in "You're a lying dirtbag!"

But maybe Jeremy Kyle is talking straight, as perceived by UK ears. It's only that to an American he sounds kinda... "indirect." It's not just the language itself but the delivery too. It's interesting to observe that it only takes a few centuries for two countries with similar linguistic roots to evolve distinctly different dialects. In a few hundred years we may not even speak the same language any more...

"Indirect" is a good word. Most of us on this side of the Pond tend to be less direct (pointed?) probably because it sounds rude [to the point of insult?]
A straight-shot "You're a liar" has, therefore, more impact, I suspect.

I reckon that this is one reason why there's been so much confusion on Boards like this between "us" and "them." It's how we use the language; say, without much thought (certainly of the nuances of implications).
And it is one very good reason to train "diplomats" !
:)

If he uses an upper-class English accent, all will be forgiven and he instantly qualifies to do commercial voiceovers in the States.

If he uses an upper-class English accent, all will be forgiven and he instantly qualifies to do commercial voice-overs in the States.

Most amusing, Pilot, but I don't think his accent is "upper-class English" (I'd like that to be defined if possible); he has the occasional regional intonation, but that, as far as I can see it, is IT.

Somebody spends way too much time in front of a television.

Most amusing, Pilot, but I don't think his accent is "upper-class English" (I'd like that to be defined if possible); he has the occasional regional intonation, but that, as far as I can see it, is IT.

This guy, no. It was just an aside about how quickly Americans fall under the spell of a English (upper class) accent. It's almost laughable how it is used in the commercial world.

As to what an upper class English accent is, an American would say they know it when they heard it (but, of course, they'd be wrong. They'd include the likes of both Sean Connery and Michael Caine in it mix).

Last edited:
Most of the women I have talked to prefer the Australian accent. I think the "sexy brits" are on their way out.

So that's now Cowell, Morgan and Kyle that've left for the US. Excellent, now if a few more choice examples of human scum (politicians mostly) could similarly inflict themselves on the wider world I may be tempted back to my homeland.

No backsies America, they're yours now.

So that's now Cowell, Morgan and Kyle that've left for the US. Excellent, now if a few more choice examples of human scum (politicians mostly) could similarly inflict themselves on the wider world I may be tempted back to my homeland.

No backsies America, they're yours now.

Oh, You haven't heard? Cowell is coming back your way. His X-Factor show bombed in the States and has been canceled--and he's returning to the UK.

Most of the women I have talked to prefer the Australian accent. I think the "sexy brits" are on their way out.

The problem is, many so-called British accents and actors...aren't.

I can't remember the amount of times I've been watching a US programme when a 'British' character has been introduced and the accent, or attempt at it, has been at best, laughable, at worst, really unpleasant to listen to.
Sometimes these have been British actors who for some reason, have affected a different regional (usually RP-posh) accent to their own, and not done it terribly well. Or, in order to emphasise that their character is British, they've overdone it.

It's really painful to our ears, and it's probably not great for yours either.

The problem is, many so-called British accents and actors...aren't.

I can't remember the amount of times I've been watching a US programme when a 'British' character has been introduced and the accent, or attempt at it, has been at best, laughable, at worst, really unpleasant to listen to.
Sometimes these have been British actors who for some reason, have affected a different regional (usually RP-posh) accent to their own, and not done it terribly well. Or, in order to emphasise that their character is British, they've overdone it.

It's really painful to our ears, and it's probably not great for yours either.

Ditto to English actors doing an American accent with the assumption that all they have to do is talk in a flat monotone.

I'm waiting to find the women that find an RI accent laced with street vernacular sexy. Then I'm heading to Hollywood.

Hell if people could endure 3 hours of over the top phony Boston accent in The Departed they can handle me.

Oh, You haven't heard? Cowell is coming back your way. His X-Factor show bombed in the States and has been canceled--and he's returning to the UK.

NOOO! Can't he try someplace else first? North Korea, or Mars?

That's the risk you're running when attempting to export waste products to the US. Sometimes we send it back. ;)

Can we send them American Idol?

I can't believe that crap is still running with even the original producer no longer there.

Anyone who believes the people actually have a say in who wins should be buying up prime swamp real estate in Florida.:rolleyes:

I swear between AI and then when the voice starts its 5 nights a week.

Can we send them American Idol?

I can't believe that crap is still running with even the original producer no longer there.

Anyone who believes the people actually have a say in who wins should be buying up prime swamp real estate in Florida.:rolleyes:

I swear between AI and then when the voice starts its 5 nights a week.

We sent it to you in the first place, as Pop Idol.

The Voice is currently on here. We have Wil-i-am (sp?), Kylie Minogue, Tom Jones and some rock bloke so it's not too annoying.

We sent it to you in the first place, as Pop Idol.

The Voice is currently on here. We have Wil-i-am (sp?), Kylie Minogue, Tom Jones and some rock bloke so it's not too annoying.

Kylie Minogue could never be annoying. She is under rated when it comes to hot women.

The Brits have a copy of the Steve Wilkos Show - i.e. a reality liedetector/DNA show where the host is rude to the guests - named the Jeremy Kyle Show, and apparently he has taped shows in the US too.
:D

Sorry, but Steve Wilkos is a copy of Kyle:-
The Steve Wilkos Show is a syndicated American tabloid talk show hosted by Steve Wilkos. The show debuted on September 10, 2007. (Wiki)
The Jeremy Kyle Show is a British daytime television confessional, problem-solving show presented by Jeremy Kyle. It has been broadcast on ITV since 4 July 2005

NOOO! Can't he try someplace else first? North Korea, or Mars?
Put the guy on that planned first mission to Mars, say I.

Kylie Minogue could never be annoying. She is under rated when it comes to hot women.
Oh, how true.
Strange, but there are those who say she can sing quite well, too. . .

Sorry, but Steve Wilkos is a copy of Kyle..

He is way too cool to copy anybody. If Chuck Norris and Mister Clean ever had a child together, it would be Steve.

No - Jeremy must have messed with history somehow... ;)

JSR_Dec07_06_WILKOS.jpg

In the mean time Jeremy keeps teaching me more UK-english....

"At loggerheads" apparently means "in each others face" and "sling your hook" is how people tell somebody to GTFO in Britain.

Kewl :)

Back