How to carry your Colt 1911 semi-auto pistol

I shot second-best in a 1st Infantry Division (US Army) M1911A1 competition. I am not afraid of the weapon. But I am very afraid of untrained civilians carrying, and I now see no need to carry. Skipping the political arguments, I have several objections:

* Armed persons are more likely to incautiously place themselves in hazardous situations. Carrying gives one a sense of empowerment and competence. Better to avoid trouble than to confront it. Better to talk your way out of trouble than try to shoot your way out.

* I *did* carriy as a civilian, and I too-often felt that since I had the tool, I might be impelled to use it needlessly. It's related to the "if you have only a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" syndrome. When I carried, the weapon was always atop my awareness. I constantly scanned others, wondering if they were also armed, and planning for whatever move might be necessary. Yes, constant paranoia.

* No matter my color or gender, if a nervous cop or armed "bad hombre" even *thinks* I'm carrying, I'm more likely to be shot. I'd rather avoid that, hey?

I hope those feeling a need to carry will carefully examine their options.

Hypoxia, your whole post is one of the best responses I have read on this fabled penis extension subject.

Personally I think whole "look at my willy, it is bigger than yours" bullshit gun thing would be better tucked away - actually off Literotica completely.

Does it put food on the table for your children?
Does it make you a more loving partner?
Does it make you more employable?
Does it make you smarter?

So unless someone has been trained in the military and or police they are first likely to piss themselves before becoming super vigilante and then be so fucking nervous they shoot innocent people - before getting shot themselves. There will be no providing of food on the table then...

There are enough fucked up ex servicemen and jittery police who are not gun responsible, despite all their training, so how a person on perpetual adult training wheels think their "right to carry" is a gift to family and society is beyond me.

Hey - if they ever do take their hand from their cock and actually have a child then what are the odds a pre-five year old doesn't pick up the gun?

Gun accidents kill at least 1 kid every other day
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/10/14/ap-usa-today-gun-accidents-children/91906700/

CHILDREN KILLED OR INJURED IN 2017
http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/child-injured-killed

Accidental Gun Deaths Involving Children Are A Major Problem In The US
http://www.ibtimes.com/accidental-gun-deaths-involving-children-are-major-problem-us-2250568

That list could go on and on and on

At the end of the day - what truly makes a man?

Awesome rational response.

As an aside, as an avid hunter I spend a fair bit of time between seasons shooting rifles at the range. I'm talking 25 to 200 metre distances.

I'm not a handgun guy at all. But from what I see of even experienced pistol shooters, they are piss-poor shots, even at 15 metres shooting groups that look like shotgun spreads.

I can't imagine what a frightened inexperienced handgun owner would shoot like if they ever felt like they had too. Sure, just showing the gun and going"bang' might deter a perp, but it might kill somebody's kid across the street or in the parking lot too.

I shot second-best in a 1st Infantry Division (US Army) M1911A1 competition. I am not afraid of the weapon. But I am very afraid of untrained civilians carrying, and I now see no need to carry. Skipping the political arguments, I have several objections:

* Armed persons are more likely to incautiously place themselves in hazardous situations. Carrying gives one a sense of empowerment and competence. Better to avoid trouble than to confront it. Better to talk your way out of trouble than try to shoot your way out.

* I *did* carriy as a civilian, and I too-often felt that since I had the tool, I might be impelled to use it needlessly. It's related to the "if you have only a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" syndrome. When I carried, the weapon was always atop my awareness. I constantly scanned others, wondering if they were also armed, and planning for whatever move might be necessary. Yes, constant paranoia.

* No matter my color or gender, if a nervous cop or armed "bad hombre" even *thinks* I'm carrying, I'm more likely to be shot. I'd rather avoid that, hey?

I have to LOL at a few of the crazy responses. To answer the op's question. Your Grandfather's 1911 is probably a little big for a carry. Best keep it at home in a lock box, unloaded of course. Get yourself a Glock in 9 m/m or in .45 acp. If you choose to carry in a holster then I'd carry it this way. Mag inserted, empty chamber . Or the other way to carry is mag inserted, round in the chamber. Good luck with whatever you decide Bud.

Last edited:
I have to LOL at a few of the crazy responses. To answer the op's question. Your Grandfather's 1911 is probably a little big for a carry. Best keep it at home in a lock box, unloaded of course. Get yourself a Glock in 9 m/m or in .45 acp. If you choose to carry in a holster then I'd carry it this way. Mag inserted, empty chamber, and hammer down. Or the other way to carry is mag inserted, round in the chamber, hammer back. Keep in mind a Glock doesn't have an external safety though. Good luck with whatever you decide Bud.

WOW!! Sorry, this response is too good to leave alone...
Agreed a 5" Full Size 1911 is 'generally' too big for concealed carry but doable.
Crazy to keep locked in a safe 'unloaded' in 'My' opinion, but that's a personal opionion.

The bizarre comment was to get a Glock and carry it with a round in the chamber and 'hammer' cocked...
Glock is a 'striker' fired pistol and does not have a hammer...
Glock partially cocks the striker when you rack the slide and load the chamber, final cocking of the striker is accomplished with the pull of the trigger - Glocks 'safety' is a small lever that on the face of the trigger and depressed in the trigger pull action.
Glock is a very reliable pistol but with a loss of accuracy and potential case bulging problems - the reason the glock is so reliable is that they have designed in a loose / sloppy chamber tolerance; I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just the inherent design - case bulging is mainly associated with the .40SW round.

Many gun choices are personal decisions - However, NEVER carry a 'hammer' style gun in Condition 1 WITHOUT an external safety that is engaged.
I personally am not a Glock fan - mainly personal reasons and obviously people are different and no such thing as one size fits all - My anti Glock reasons:
1. I do not like the grip angle.
2. I prefer a hammer fired gun where I can carry Condition 1.
(primary carry for me is a CZ Rami & CZ40B that are C-1 and also a KelTec P3AT which is a Condition 2 striker fired pistol)
3. Ironically the Glock IMO is similar to what Hickok45 tried t describe - the standard Glock trigger pull is ~ 5.5 lbs and many aftermarket connectors are available for a 3.5lb pull - this IMO is akin to carrying a 1911 style pistol Cocked and 'unlocked'...

Sorry, bit of a gun geek here... Please do not call a mag (magazine) a 'clip' or I'll really have to go turn in all my guns... :rolleyes:

Actually a Glock does not have an external hammer and no means to de-cock. So yes you are correct in that.

WOW!! Sorry, this response is too good to leave alone...
Agreed a 5" Full Size 1911 is 'generally' too big for concealed carry but doable.
Crazy to keep locked in a safe 'unloaded' in 'My' opinion, but that's a personal opionion.

The bizarre comment was to get a Glock and carry it with a round in the chamber and 'hammer' cocked...
Glock is a 'striker' fired pistol and does not have a hammer...
Glock partially cocks the striker when you rack the slide and load the chamber, final cocking of the striker is accomplished with the pull of the trigger - Glocks 'safety' is a small lever that on the face of the trigger and depressed in the trigger pull action.
Glock is a very reliable pistol but with a loss of accuracy and potential case bulging problems - the reason the glock is so reliable is that they have designed in a loose / sloppy chamber tolerance; I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just the inherent design - case bulging is mainly associated with the .40SW round.

Many gun choices are personal decisions - However, NEVER carry a 'hammer' style gun in Condition 1 WITHOUT an external safety that is engaged.
I personally am not a Glock fan - mainly personal reasons and obviously people are different and no such thing as one size fits all - My anti Glock reasons:
1. I do not like the grip angle.
2. I prefer a hammer fired gun where I can carry Condition 1.
(primary carry for me is a CZ Rami & CZ40B that are C-1 and also a KelTec P3AT which is a Condition 2 striker fired pistol)
3. Ironically the Glock IMO is similar to what Hickok45 tried t describe - the standard Glock trigger pull is ~ 5.5 lbs and many aftermarket connectors are available for a 3.5lb pull - this IMO is akin to carrying a 1911 style pistol Cocked and 'unlocked'...

Sorry, bit of a gun geek here... Please do not call a mag (magazine) a 'clip' or I'll really have to go turn in all my guns... :rolleyes:

No apologies for being a gun geek, everyone is welcome here...right? Lol, I guess some are more welcome than others, but as I'm a gun geek too I couldn't care less.

I'm going to guess that since the op got his .45 from his grandfather, it would be a series 70, without the firing pin safety that the series 80 includes, so maybe better to leave that one out of carry rotation, since he doesn't express a preference for the 70 trigger.

There are some very nice triggers to be had out there on striker fired pistols, as I am sure you know, with more safety features than the public realizes. While Glocks do indeed have their trigger safeties, and firing pin and drop safeties, I just cannot get used to how their trigger feels, so give them a pass. Ruger's striker pistols have incredibly nice triggers, and their compact and micro offerings bear consideration if you are looking for something in those markets, though it looks like you've got it covered with the Rami and P3AT. What's the recoil like with the Rami? I hear the P3AT can be quite snappy, would you say it is more than the LCPII?

I won't call a mag a clip, what are your thoughts about 'the shoulder thing that goes up'? :D

OP, the 1911 is kind of big to carry. I'd leave it at home or in a lock box on the closet shelf. For a carry gun I would get a Glock if you want a semi-auto or possibly a .357 for a revolver. As far as how to carry your 1911 in a holster if you insist I can't really tell you how since it is yours. My understanding is that the 1911 is designed to be carried "cocked and locked". I'd ask a firearms instructor a deputy in the county what they would advice.

full sized? I am way too small to carry a gun with a 4" or 5" barrel.

You would be surprised what a quality holster can do. Combine that and learn to dress around the weapon and there isn't a whole lot that can't be carried.

I don't have a holster for my full sized. Only for my smaller compact pistols. I wished Florida passed the open carry bill but they never will. They are afraid that open carry will scare away the tourists..

I don't have a holster for my full sized. Only for my smaller compact pistols. I wished Florida passed the open carry bill but they never will. They are afraid that open carry will scare away the tourists..

Florida...so I'm guessing wearing something over a tshirt isn't too comfortable? Otherwise a nice high-rise holster works, or the classic shoulder rigs.

But yeah, high humidity so you're not wearing layers, full-size would be quite a challenge. I remember reading on one of the forums someone in a tropic state found a workable solution, I'll try to find it.

Yup, open carry would probably do that...so a win win for you, yes? :)

Like a great deal of people I am just to short and small to conceal anything like a .45 Cal. whatever.

While I have several Holsters for various pistols my "Social Holster" is handmade by me. Ultra thin, the clip and the leather square while minimum is half the holster when wadded up. It is made to go behind the back and clip to the belt. Works great with .380 or 9mm that has a seven round clip. Fall. Winter or Spring is no problem at all, Summer with a light weight long shirt works. Perspiration in warm weather is factor to consider.

It is said that the brain is the most dangerous weapon and that is true, especially when not used properly or used carelessly.

The current CCW bill has the word BRIEF in it where if you briefly display your holstered firearm you can be arrested. There is a bill in the senate now that replaces the word brief with temporary so if the wind blows your jacket open you will not be arrested.

Only in FL where the wind blows open your jacket or you raise your hand and your shirt rides up and displays your holstered firearm can you be arrested. Its so ridiculous.

This is why the right holster is so important down here. If you are wearing a regular shirt you can get it baggy enough to hide your holster but what if you are wearing only a T-Shirt?

I'm guessing all the nay-sayers in this thread have not been the victim of a violent crime before.

But back on point, your 1911 isn't any more dangerous to carry loaded and cocked than a Glock. Probably safer, actually, since it has a physical thumb safety, which the Glock does not.

That said, the best safety is between your ears. Invest in a training course. The NRA basic pistol class is probably a good place to start.

Last edited:

I'm an NRA instructor. I would never recommend any firearm use without at least a safety course and a concealed carry course as well. The 1911 is a great firearm and one of my favorites but having experience carrying one I'd say that there are better choices.

A small frame revolver is the simplest to start with. Mechanically simple and generally highly reliable. They are safe to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber because of the use of a transfer plate. The most important part is to,spend some time thinking about the circumstances in which you would use it. It is for defense only and in most states you have to have no way to retreat and be in fear for your life

Like to hang mine off my gstring, cold steel on flesh, oh, yes pleeeease

I'm an NRA instructor. I would never recommend any firearm use without at least a safety course and a concealed carry course as well. The 1911 is a great firearm and one of my favorites but having experience carrying one I'd say that there are better choices.

Amen to your comment about a safety and concealed carry course. I'd add regular practice to the recommendation.

OP--if you inherited the gun, have you had it checked out by a gunsmith? If it sat unused or uncared for, it could need repair or conditioning. I wouldn't want to be the one to fire it for the first time if I wasn't sure of how it was stored.

As a lady, I am carrying in a belly band with a holster to protect the trigger and weapon. (there are soooo many carry options! I'm considering a thigh holster for under my summer dresses) I carry with one in the chamber but safety on (personally, a manual safety is non negotiable for my carry weapon).

OP--if you inherited the gun, have you had it checked out by a gunsmith? If it sat unused or uncared for, it could need repair or conditioning. I wouldn't want to be the one to fire it for the first time if I wasn't sure of how it was stored.

Yeah, good idea.

My hubby collects 1911s and he just said if it is a 1911A1 (WWII vintage), you are okay to use modern ammo but if it is a true 1911 (like WWI vintage), don't use modern ammo because the metals they used back then were softer and it won't hold up to the pressure of modern ammo.

Sometimes carry it in my waistband but I much prefer the surprise draw from my gstring; boom💥

Cross Eye Dominance

Best stance / instructions on how to shoot better when you are cross eyed dominance. What that means is if you are right handed but you stronger eye is your left eye. You now have to change your stance or tilt your head or something different...

Anyone else ?

I would guess the best stance is a Weaver stance. Not sure about the dominate eye thing.
To answer the original poster's initial question. I would leave your Grandfather's 1911 in drawer or locked box at home. If you find a carry gun you like there are different options. You could carry it with the magazine inserted, empty chamber, and the hammer down I suppose. No clue if that is the best way. I'm sure someone else can answer better than I.

Back