Summer Fun with a Mature BBW

Day 2 of C25K complete! WooHoo!

So peeps who are around my age and run...if you have arthritis, how do you deal with it and keep running? I have a modestly decent fitness level from working out on the elliptical trainer on and off for the last 6 months, but I really want to run...without pain or soreness. Begging for some good advice!

So peeps who are around my age and run...if you have arthritis, how do you deal with it and keep running? I have a modestly decent fitness level from working out on the elliptical trainer on and off for the last 6 months, but I really want to run...without pain or soreness. Begging for some good advice!

I wish I could run.......I really want to...

I hated the elipitical....it bothered my hips and knees. I went back to the treadmill and walk jog.

I hated the elipitical....it bothered my hips and knees. I went back to the treadmill and walk jog.

I like the elliptical, but the treadmill hurts me knees and shins something fierce. But I get bored being inside, too, so it's hard for me to stay motivated. I love the early morning most!

Hey Sugar!

Firstly i agree it is difficult to be motivated but at the same time running in the nature helps..

A few suggestions as you asked for - have lots of fluids during the day which helps the circulation in your system and keeps you hydrated for the long distance running..

Also select your choice of music/ songs which you like to hear and that gets you charged up to put your mind in a positive space..

Lastly other forms of exercise like yoga or free hand does help you increase the stamina so could be of use as well :)

Hope this helps

Cheers

You're going to have to listen to your body. If there is pain you need to slow down and walk for 30 seconds to two minutes. During my marathons I walk every two miles for 30 seconds to 1 minute or if I'm getting tired every mile. Pain and fatigue will cause other injuries because you will take an unnatural stride to compensate. You might also look into "zero drop" or "barefoot" running shoes. Recent studies show those runners with big thick soles are worse on your knees and hips because they encourage harder heel strikes on the ground than you would otherwise be able to tolerate. There is a bunch of brands/varieties out there now, some that come to mind are Nike free, Merrill road gloves, Vibram 5 fingers.

Hey Sugar!

Firstly i agree it is difficult to be motivated but at the same time running in the nature helps..

A few suggestions as you asked for - have lots of fluids during the day which helps the circulation in your system and keeps you hydrated for the long distance running..

Also select your choice of music/ songs which you like to hear and that gets you charged up to put your mind in a positive space..

Lastly other forms of exercise like yoga or free hand does help you increase the stamina so could be of use as well :)

Hope this helps

Cheers

I have to make myself like yoga. I am easily distracted and I have to force myself to focus. Any particular at home yoga programs? I prefer something free that i can pull up on the internet.

Oh Good Morning..

Wish I had some frozen yogurt....:heart:

Any particular flavor?:heart:

You're going to have to listen to your body. If there is pain you need to slow down and walk for 30 seconds to two minutes. During my marathons I walk every two miles for 30 seconds to 1 minute or if I'm getting tired every mile. Pain and fatigue will cause other injuries because you will take an unnatural stride to compensate. You might also look into "zero drop" or "barefoot" running shoes. Recent studies show those runners with big thick soles are worse on your knees and hips because they encourage harder heel strikes on the ground than you would otherwise be able to tolerate. There is a bunch of brands/varieties out there now, some that come to mind are Nike free, Merrill road gloves, Vibram 5 fingers.

I've heard a lot of controversy about those shoes, that the claims made about them were false and unsupported. I have bad arthritis in my knees from Lyme disease, but I don't and won't let it stop me. Good suggestion though to get better shoes, I just have to wait until I can afford them.

So far, I find that once I hit the 3rd interval I am feeling pretty good.

No special flavor, I'm sure you can dip your finger in there and give it some flavor and sweetness...

Sugar, hope you are having a great summer so far (just started a few days ago!)

I use Rodney Ye (sp?) AM Yoga For Beginners. I have it on dvd but I'm sure it could be found online somewhere. It's only 15 minutes, and moves pretty fluidly so you won't have time to be distracted. Afterwards I always feel great.

I don't run long distance, just around the neighborhood. Two things that helped me run without pain is 1) finding my correct pace, and 2) buying the right sneakers.

It's raining out today so no running for me. I better stay inside and flirt with some lovely women on Lit. :)

Get really fitted for shoes. Most of us can't just buy shoes out of a sporting good store. Find a good running shoe store and have them fit you. It might be costly to start, but much better in the long run. If you have old running shoes bring them to show them how they wore on you. Fitting will take into account any gait you have and how your foot falls and the shoe wears. As to running then take it slow. Build it up in slow increments. There's nothing worse than really "going" for it and then the next couple of days you can't do anything because your knees hurt. As someone said music is part of it. You can focus on the music when you get tired and be energized by it. I use an elliptical during the winter as well and prefer it over a treadmill. Some ellipticals aren't "ellipticals". I travel quite often and find some in hotels are difficult as they don't revolve but rather kind of move up hill and back. I tend to stay away from those.
All the best on this!

Sugar, hope you are having a great summer so far (just started a few days ago!)

I use Rodney Ye (sp?) AM Yoga For Beginners. I have it on dvd but I'm sure it could be found online somewhere. It's only 15 minutes, and moves pretty fluidly so you won't have time to be distracted. Afterwards I always feel great.

I don't run long distance, just around the neighborhood. Two things that helped me run without pain is 1) finding my correct pace, and 2) buying the right sneakers.

It's raining out today so no running for me. I better stay inside and flirt with some lovely women on Lit. :)

Thank you for the suggestion. I have seen his dvd's. I will check and see if he has anything on YouTube that I can use on the Xbox if I can wrestle it away from the hubby. I really want to strength train as well, without weights for now if possible.

Get really fitted for shoes. Most of us can't just buy shoes out of a sporting good store. Find a good running shoe store and have them fit you. It might be costly to start, but much better in the long run. If you have old running shoes bring them to show them how they wore on you. Fitting will take into account any gait you have and how your foot falls and the shoe wears. As to running then take it slow. Build it up in slow increments. There's nothing worse than really "going" for it and then the next couple of days you can't do anything because your knees hurt. As someone said music is part of it. You can focus on the music when you get tired and be energized by it. I use an elliptical during the winter as well and prefer it over a treadmill. Some ellipticals aren't "ellipticals". I travel quite often and find some in hotels are difficult as they don't revolve but rather kind of move up hill and back. I tend to stay away from those.
All the best on this!

You'd make an excellent trainer. Can I hire you?:kiss:

I have my music set up. There is a great store in town that I can get specialized shoes, but it will have to wait because I just had an expensive month.:eek:

I would stay away from Vibram Five Fingers.. the jury is still out on those for running. Your feet and legs have been condition with shoes with heels for so long... running without the support may hurt you in the long run..

I HATE those.

Me too! I need a champagne budget!

I would stay away from Vibram Five Fingers.. the jury is still out on those for running. Your feet and legs have been condition with shoes with heels for so long... running without the support may hurt you in the long run..

I have a pair of Filas that I like, but they might be slightly too big for me.

As for the Five finger shoes, I believe they were made to take back their statements on how good they are for you, but I do know some people really love them. I have a high arch and I need some foot support.

The zero drop shoes are something I am going to look into for sure. They sound like something I would benefit from.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have seen his dvd's. I will check and see if he has anything on YouTube that I can use on the Xbox if I can wrestle it away from the hubby. I really want to strength train as well, without weights for now if possible.

You'd make an excellent trainer. Can I hire you?:kiss:

I have my music set up. There is a great store in town that I can get specialized shoes, but it will have to wait because I just had an expensive month.:eek:

I'm a very "hands on" trainer!;)

The zero drop shoes are something I am going to look into for sure. They sound like something I would benefit from.

They will change your stride. They will reduce knee/hip impact which sounds like you might benefit from. Because they change your stride you must ease into them, don't go run full speed/full distance your first time out, you will pull/strain calves ankles and the tiny muscles in your toes/feet. I use road gloves exclusively, have for years, I'll never go back to those giant puffy heels, I love the zero drops. You also have to watch your step in them as they are very thin, protrusions up from the ground like a solitary rock sitting on pavement hurts, but flat gravel surfaces are fine.

I'm a very "hands on" trainer!;)

I could use some hands on these sore calves of mine.;)

They will change your stride. They will reduce knee/hip impact which sounds like you might benefit from. Because they change your stride you must ease into them, don't go run full speed/full distance your first time out, you will pull/strain calves ankles and the tiny muscles in your toes/feet. I use road gloves exclusively, have for years, I'll never go back to those giant puffy heels, I love the zero drops. You also have to watch your step in them as they are very thin, protrusions up from the ground like a solitary rock sitting on pavement hurts, but flat gravel surfaces are fine.

How would they work for some trail running?

I could use some hands on these sore calves of mine.;)

How would they work for some trail running?

I know Merrill makes a trail version of the road glove, it has a metal plate under the arch I (I think) to protect your foot. I've never ran in them but I've done a bit of trail running in my road gloves and they work fine, like I said before, you just need to avoid stomping on tall, narrow protrusions like solitary rocks or a knobby tree branch. I run on gravel all the time and they are fine, it's that one tall point that will absorb all your impact/weight that you have to watch for. In a weird way I like the awareness that I'm forced to use when I run in them, I feel very focused and alert. I don't even run with music anymore. Music is a tool most people use to dull monotony/pain during exercise or to find some sort of needed motivation. My advice is to run with your ears open, your mind on your stride and breathing, and your eyes scanning the ground about 5 feet in front of you. That's how I do it and it's like meditation. At least give it a try. I hope your miles are happy!

Back