"Pest Control: Eradication of the Human Race"

KyleReevis

Really Experienced
Joined
Jan 19, 2017
Posts
190
This is not ready. I have a meeting. Will finish later.









"Pest Control:

Eradicating the Human Race"


TO JOIN
See the OOC Thread

The Rise of Human Civilization had in great part been the consequence of advancing technology. For thousands of years, Humans had been inventing new ways to better and extend their lives, from the early advent of agriculture that created food security and led to great leaps in population; to the more recent medical discoveries that kept that increasing number of people alive far longer than Mother Nature had ever intended.

For the past century, though, dire warnings had been raised about how so many of most recent technologies were leading to the Fall of Human Civilization, particularly those that were exacerbating the natural heating of the planet or were polluting the water, soil, and air upon which an ever increasingly fragile society depended.

It was ironic, then, that that Fall would come not at the hands of Earth's currently dominant species but at the hands of its future dominant species.

They would come to be called the Xenots, though no one today remembered -- let alone cared -- from where the name came. Despite billions of dollars spent on technologies to detect objects approaching Earth, the 3,100 meter long Xenot Mother Ship was already slowing to settle into a high orbit above the planet and dispatching Attack Ships -- each the size of the Pentagon building -- before it was detected.

The initial attack came in three phases:

First, the Attack Ships swarmed around the globe, destroying the even larger swarm of artificial satellites that provided a multitude of services to the people, companies, and governments below. The planet went dark in a sense, with hundreds of millions of connected devices becoming little more paper weights. Communication with the International Space Station was lost, and the fate of her multinational occupants was unknown. The Hubble Telescope and other such orbiting platforms were also destroyed. Despite there being tens of thousands of satellites in orbit of Earth -- operational and not -- it took the Attack Ships just 65 hours to turn nearly every one of them into an expanding cloud of debris.

The second phase was the destruction of Earth's offensive and defensive capabilities. The Attack Ships turned their lasers -- now with sometimes dramatically increased power levels -- toward the land's surface and the ocean's depth. ICBMs were destroyed in their silos or on their mobile trailers, the explosions of their rocket fuel spewing forth their radioactive payloads and irradiating great swaths of the US, Russia, China, and two dozen other countries, both declared and only suspected nuclear powers. Aircraft carriers, submarines, air bases, massed troop formations, ammunition and fuel depots, and anything else that appeared even remotely militaristic in nature were destroyed as well. During this phase, bridges, hydroelectric dams, solar power arrays, nuclear plants, and other great feats of Human infrastructure were laid waste as well.

Despite all this destruction, the third phase would be the most lethal to life on Earth. Ironically and unbeknownst to the Human's below, while the third phase would be the last to become known it had actually occurred simultaneously with the first phase. As the Attack Ships circulated about the planet taking out satellites, they'd also been dropping bomb-like containers above the planet's cities, beginning with the largest before moving to progressively smaller ones. The containers broke open above these cities, releasing a flu-like organism that infected and spread with ease between mammal species, human and otherwise. In less than a dozen days, millions of people, dogs, cats, horses, cattle, sheep, even rats and mice were dropping dead from an unstoppable fever that burned up their fragile brains.


The Trenton brothers were in Colorado at the time of the ship's discovery, well within the orbit of Earth's moon. Daniel was the younger sibling by 12 years. He was a Captain with four years in the service and his first command assignment, training new security personnel assigned to guard ballistic missile silo facilities for the United States Strategic Command (US STRATCOM). He was intelligent, thoughtful, and very dedicated to the concept of doing right by those to whom he answered.

Carl was a Sergeant again for the third time after yet more disciplinary problems incurred during his 18 years of service. Despite the Army's policy against siblings serving in the same unit, he'd landed a position as his younger brother's weapons training chief. Carl had always been the pragmatic and self-preservationist type, and as they watched the drama unfold live and non-stop on the television, internet, and closed circuit military feed, Carl had repeated warned his younger brother that they needed to get away from the base, away from the town that served it, and away from the nearby missile silos that were the reason for both.

"We need to get the fuck out of Dodge," Carl again told his younger brother. Reminding Daniel that the first target of any attacker is their enemy's own military forces, he asked yet again, "Remember Pearl Harbor?"

Carl knew that if these aliens were, in fact, going to attack Earth, one of their first targets would be the nuclear tipped missiles spread out across the landscape of Colorado all around him and his brother. And sure enough, on the 7th day, the attack came. For days, and heading out on orbit paths that, at times, took them each of the declared nuclear States. over the at times over the spreading out their own individual flight paths over
But the higher ranking brother had insisted they stay put until and unless ordered to do otherwise. Carl

, and behind his brother's back he'd been quietly prepping a Humvee and a transport truck in a secured building, readying them for a quick exit.


Basic Starting Point:

An alien race has arrived at Earth with the intent of making themselves to home, but before they can do that they need to eliminate the currently dominant species: humans.



Small Group Role Play:

This will be a small group role play: 3-5 writers with 3-15 on again, off again characters.



Making Joining Late Easy:

Many writers will not join a group role play that is already in progress because they feel that they have already missed too much of the story. To combat this, I will keep and update a page that lists the primary occurrences in each posted reply. This way, a prospective writer -- and even an already involved writer -- can easily find important facts and events.

This is a lot of effort on my part, but I am willing to do it to assist writers in joining at a later date.



Darkness and Death:

This is going to be a dark, brutal, and tragic tale of the eradication of the human race. People will die. Which means that characters will die. Now, it is not my intent to kill off the characters for whom you have invested a great deal of time and effort to create. So long as you -- I mean they, the characters -- don't do something stupid and reckless, they will go on to have fruitful lives. Well, fruitful is a stretch, but they will be alive!

However, there's gonna be death, so it is my suggestion that each writer create one or two long term, primary characters, either together in the same location or in separate locations and situations; and create one or more short term, expendable characters to provide sacrificial lambs for the slaughter. :eek: You will find it more dramatically satisfying if you can partake of the carnage, don't you think?



My Characters:

I will write the aliens, of course. I will also write human characters whose primary purpose is to provide exposition; and some secondary human characters as needed to interact with your characters and/or offer more lambs.



Writers for whom I am looking:

Proof reading for spelling, grammar, and punctuation is a must. Mistakes are made. Hell, look close enough and you'll probably find some in this post. But I check for errors before I post, and I beg you to do the same.

I do not have a firm rule on posting frequency and length, other than this:

  • If you are going to be a major part of the story and have important interactions with the other characters/writers, you need to be committed to posting almost every day, more often than not more than once a day, otherwise the story crawls, then dies.
  • If you wish to have some flexibility in posting, you can by not being a central character. There's nothing saying your character can't interact in a less vital part, perhaps only with one or more of the host's own characters, thereby not slowing down one of the other writers.
  • Common sense, common courtesy.
  • I would clarify this more, but I have to go to work. Later.



Sex!

There will be opportunities for sexual interaction, but this is primarily a non-sexual story about the end of human civilization and what the survivors do to survive.

Because it is not a sexual role play, I would appreciate it if you either end your sex scenes in less than a handful of posts, write them fade-to-black, or write them in a separate thread and link that thread to the main thread in the appropriate position in the time line. (I can explain this further to anyone interested in knowing more.)
 
Back
Top