Getting story visibility

Contrary_Mary

Experienced
I am new here and have written three stories.
While I understand that one needs to write a great story in order for others to want to read it, I am wondering if there are other ways to get my stories seen by more readers.
I would like more feedback and believe I would possibly gain that from more readers.

There's a "New Story Advertisement" thread at the top of this section where you can talk about your specific stories and provide a link to them. Also, if you ask for feedback in this "Story Feedback" section, you'll get more exposure. You might not like the exposure you get, though, as you'll get critiques of the story.

There's a "New Story Advertisement" thread at the top of this section where you can talk about your specific stories and provide a link to them. Also, if you ask for feedback in this "Story Feedback" section, you'll get more exposure. You might not like the exposure you get, though, as you'll get critiques of the story.

Thank you :)
You are right about possibly not liking the exposure. I think I am prepared for that. Hopefully.

While I understand that one needs to write a great story in order for others to want to read it, I am wondering if there are other ways to get my stories seen by more readers.
I would like more feedback and believe I would possibly gain that from more readers.

The best way to get more people to read your stories is to publish more stories. People who like the new stories will read other stories you wrote -- some may read your entire catalogue.

The site uses several sidebars on the story pages to promote other stories, but I don't think there's a way to manipulate those. Getting a story into the top lists also delivers more views.

Give a lot of thought to the tags you use on the story. Popular tags, along with a good title and short description, can get more views. You can edit the tags if you think they could be improved.

People may have a smaller tendency to vote or comment when reading previously published stories then they do with new stories.

Take a look at my profile.

Arrows-Down-icon.png

The best way to get more people to read your stories is to publish more stories. People who like the new stories will read other stories you wrote -- some may read your entire catalogue.

The site uses several sidebars on the story pages to promote other stories, but I don't think there's a way to manipulate those. Getting a story into the top lists also delivers more views.

Give a lot of thought to the tags you use on the story. Popular tags, along with a good title and short description, can get more views. You can edit the tags if you think they could be improved.

People may have a smaller tendency to vote or comment when reading previously published stories then they do with new stories.

Good to know. Thank you.

You are right about possibly not liking the exposure. I think I am prepared for that. Hopefully.

As long as you have a thick skin you’ll survive story feedback. It helps if you can write a good story.

As long as you have a thick skin you’ll survive story feedback. It helps if you can write a good story.

I have learned here there is debate over long story vs short stories. Mine are all short and one still needs an ending.
But I like them. They have a purpose in my life. Even the one with no ending pleases me. But not the commenter on it lol.
I believe that some comments will be meant to help and others will be more opinion based. If that makes sense. Since the comments are all basically opinion.

I believe that some comments will be meant to help and others will be more opinion based. If that makes sense. Since the comments are all basically opinion.

The comments you get when you go to the Story Feedback forum (this forum) usually come from other authors. It tends to be rational, technical, and critical, and (since you asked for input) it's sometimes harsh. It doesn't have much at all in common with the feedback you get from the readers at large. If you want rational, technical and critical comment then post links to your stories here. If you want the kind of feedback you might get from readers, then you may be disappointed.

The best way to get exposure on this site is to post a stand-alone story to Incest / Taboo. The categories you've posted to get a much smaller number of views. For more details, see here.

I feel that I benefitted from putting my first two stories up for feedback. Some of it was caustic and I didn’t like it but, on the whole, it was helpful and one of the reasons why my writing is now much better.

I see that your four stories so far have been in four different categories. We have a similarity because, as a reader, my mind wanders over several categories. I therefore feel comfortable writing in more than one category. But it’s up to the individual. Just because someone writes in one category doesn’t mean they have a closed mind to other types of story.

Last edited:
I read the one about Shelly. Didn't quite appeal to me only because I'm not into women, and I like a lot more sex and less love in what I read. Other than that, it wasn't bad. I did note the wrong use of a word, "hear" instead of "here" and a few changing of tenses but I am guilty of doing those things myself. I'm sure it will appeal to readers with different inclinations than mine.

I haven't written anything new in a while. But the link in my sig line does get new readers!

Some additional ideas.

When you get a comment answer it. Even answer it more than once as if you thought of something else. That doubles the number of comments showing up in the comment feed for that category. Comments draw more readers and more readers make more comments.

Ask for comment and voting at the bottom of your story. My current one:

Authors notes: this is a Valentines contest entry and your voting and comments would be greatly appreciated. It's the only payment we get. :D

I'm even less experienced than you, having only had one story published (and that's published under a different author's name, since I only co-wrote it) but I was told entering the story into a contest was a good way to get more exposure.

PS: If anyone’s still interested, my story can be seen here...

https://www.literotica.com/s/a-dangerous-game-6

The comments you get when you go to the Story Feedback forum (this forum) usually come from other authors. It tends to be rational, technical, and critical, and (since you asked for input) it's sometimes harsh. It doesn't have much at all in common with the feedback you get from the readers at large. If you want rational, technical and critical comment then post links to your stories here. If you want the kind of feedback you might get from readers, then you may be disappointed.

I would like feedback to help me do better and of course feedback that feels good. But I do want to be a better writer.

The best way to get exposure on this site is to post a stand-alone story to Incest / Taboo. The categories you've posted to get a much smaller number of views. For more details, see here.

I’m curious as to why incest/taboo. That makes sense that some categories a smaller number of views. Would I be tricking the reader? Some of my stories are more graphic than others. Maybe the Drag Queen one would be considered taboo?

I feel that I benefitted from putting my first two stories up for feedback. Some of it was caustic and I didn’t like it but, on the whole, it was helpful and one of the reasons why my writing is now much better.

I see that your four stories so far have been in four different categories. We have a similarity because, as a reader, my mind wanders over several categories. I therefore feel comfortable writing in more than one category. But it’s up to the individual. Just because someone writes in one category doesn’t mean they have a closed mind to other types of story.

I will have to put them up. I tend to write from where I am at. My own desires or experiences. I know it won’t always be that way, or I think it won’t. But I enjoy many things.

I read the one about Shelly. Didn't quite appeal to me only because I'm not into women, and I like a lot more sex and less love in what I read. Other than that, it wasn't bad. I did note the wrong use of a word, "hear" instead of "here" and a few changing of tenses but I am guilty of doing those things myself. I'm sure it will appeal to readers with different inclinations than mine.

I haven't written anything new in a while. But the link in my sig line does get new readers!

My story about Shelly was very personal and it was definitely more love than my others. Thank you for reading it. I am sad I missed the errors. I felt like I read over it so many times. And the changing tenses. I really worked on that one. Staying on now and not past.
I appreciate your words.

Some additional ideas.

When you get a comment answer it. Even answer it more than once as if you thought of something else. That doubles the number of comments showing up in the comment feed for that category. Comments draw more readers and more readers make more comments.

Ask for comment and voting at the bottom of your story. My current one:

Authors notes: this is a Valentines contest entry and your voting and comments would be greatly appreciated. It's the only payment we get. :D

I thought about this. Thank you for confirming it would be a good idea. I wasn’t sure.
Comment on anonymous also?

I'm even less experienced than you, having only had one story published (and that's published under a different author's name, since I only co-wrote it) but I was told entering the story into a contest was a good way to get more exposure.

PS: If anyone’s still interested, my story can be seen here...

https://www.literotica.com/s/a-dangerous-game-6

Contests? Very cool. I will look for them :) thank you

I’m curious as to why incest/taboo. That makes sense that some categories a smaller number of views. Would I be tricking the reader? Some of my stories are more graphic than others. Maybe the Drag Queen one would be considered taboo?

Incest/Taboo has the single largest and most rabid base of readers across the whole site, that's why. :)

The suggestion isn't so much that you should post stuff to that category if it doesn't fit the bill, but rather that if you want the largest number of eyes looking at your work, writing a story that involves that particular kink is about the best way to do it. Don't write to the category solely to get a bunch of attention (unless that's all you're interested in), just be aware some categories draw more interest than others, and around here, I/T dominates. I have two stories in the category, and I can verify, they get more views, comments, and feedback than anything else despite lesbian incest being generally less popular than heterosexual pairings like mom/son and dad/daughter.

A story about drag queens should be posted to Cross-Dressing, not I/T. If the taboo you're writing about doesn't fall into the realm of "people who share a significant portion of common DNA", you'll get flamed and 1-bombed for putting it there. Even stories about step-siblings, step-parents, or relations more distant than immediate family (uncle/niece, first cousins, and the like) won't get as much attention as a run-of-the-mill Mom/Son stroke piece. :)

I hope that helps! Welcome to the chaos. :kiss:

I thought about this. Thank you for confirming it would be a good idea. I wasn’t sure.
Comment on anonymous also?

Absolutely. Comment on anything you can. Just because they're anons doesn't mean they don't have an opinion. Comment even when they're mean. ;) Be the bigger person. People will notice.

Incest/Taboo has the single largest and most rabid base of readers across the whole site, that's why. :)

Sorry but when you use the word RABID... Loving Wives Category has that trophy. Now if you said AVID ;)

However as far as writing goes I would be careful at writing just because of the audience. You have to have the passion for what you're producing and readers will pick up on your lack of enthusiasm for the subject pretty quick. They'll pan the story.

I just viewed you story catalogue and one thing I noticed is that your "story descriptions" could be more informative. For example; Finding truthFinding truth and healing pleasure. The category is First Time. I haven't read it yet and I have no idea of what it might be...it doesn't tell me; Oh wow! I love ??? stories, I need to read this.

Opening it up, I see Shelly. And since jada59 already commented I now know it's probably has a lesbian theme.

So, something like; Finding TruthTwo women find healing and pleasure would tell me to give it closer look.

The description is probably more powerful than the title to attract initial interest...it's the hook.

Also, and again I'm basing this on jada59's comment, it might have done better in the Lesbian category if that's the primary erotic mover. I'll go take a quick read.

Back