Movie Quotes

Slim Pickens as the rail road forman: "You niggers know camp town ladies?"
Clevon Little as the Sheriff: "No. Can't say as we do. How do it go."
Slim Pickens dancing around: "Camp town ladies sing this song.... do da... do da..."

Blazing Saddles
 
One of my favorite scenes from any movie...

Forget Paris.....

Their friend's telling the story.
"Then she hit a bump and the bird flew up and stuck to the side of her head."
"You're a liar!"
*laughing* "Told you."

Debra Winger walking into the vet's office with the pidgeon stuck to her head
Shocked receptionist..."Your pet's name?"
Winger..."Get me Dr. Pilcher or I'll kill you!"

Billy Crystal talking to her later
"You just had one of those, 'I had a pidgeon stuck to the side of my head' days, honey."
 
Tom Collins said:
I've been wondering if I should read the book/story, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick <---*snicker* I'd change my name, eh? I wonder if the story would make more sense. In the directer's cut that I have the back says that the dream Ford's character has about a unicorn suggests that he might be a Replicant...I can't figure how in hell they see that, so it seems that the book might explain some things, there by making the movie better.

Ridley Scott, this is one of my favorites. I've read the book (a short novel or long short story, depending on how you categorize it) and it doesn't really explain anything.

I always assumed Deckard was a replicant, I thought that was the whole point of the movie. One interesting thing about the differences between the two versions is the voiceover they added. After some disasterous test screenings, the studio demanded that Scott insert Harrison Ford's narrative so that "people would know what the fuck is going on."

Scott and Ford both disagreed with the studio but did it anyway, Ford doing the narration in such a dry emotionless monotone that they were sure the studio would reject it.

Of course, the studio loved it. They also tacked on a sappy Hollywood ending (using outtakes from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, released in 1980).

The director's cut ending is a lot more ambiguous. It's also much darker and leaves a lot of things unanswered. It certainly hints that Deckard, the perfect android hunter, is himself an android.
 
Last edited:
Joe Dallesandro's character in Andy Warhol's Dracula

"He wants virgins? Then what does he want with you two hooah's"
 
From "Bulletproff Monk"

Monk With No Name: "An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of...Cocoa Puffs."

E23. :nana:
 
Aurora Black said:
Mayor Barkley: Entering without a search warrant, destroying property, arson, sexual assault with a concrete dildo... what the hell's got into you, Frank?


Actually, she said: "What were you doing there in the first place?"
 
"It's dark. We're wearing sunglasses. We have half a pack of cigarettes. Hit it." Elwood Blues Blues Brothers
 
- Well look at this. Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?

- Big Damn Heroes, Sir.

- Ain't we just.
 
Jenny_Jackson said:
Blazing Saddles

Bart: "What's your pleasure, Jim?"
Jim: "Oh, I dunno...play chess...screw..."
Bart: *Thinks a moment* "Let's play chess."
 
Jenny_Jackson said:
"It's dark. We're wearing sunglasses. We have half a pack of cigarettes. Hit it." Elwood Blues Blues Brothers


Close.

Elwood: "It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago, we have half a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing suglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

*car speeds off*

Great movie, by the way.
 
"You could be walking around lucky and not even know it"

"Do you come here... often?"

"That is a shocking incident of bumping"

"Well, you know what they say. Nothing ventured, nothing ventured"

"He pissed it all away!"

-Let it Ride-
 
Dantes: "What if I win and I don't want to be a smuggler?"

Vampa:"Then we slit your throat and we're a bit short-handed."

Dantes:"I find that smuggling is the life for me and would be delighted to kill your friend the maggot."

Vampa:"Oh..by the way, Jacopo is the best knife fighter I've ever seen."

Dantes:"Perhaps you should get out more."

The Count of Monte Cristo
 
From Arthur

"I don't like anything that puts a man on his knees." About sums it up for me. :D
 
History of the World: Part 1

"Hump or dink?"


"I was sitting in a temple, I was minding my own business, I was listening to a lovely Hebrew mass. when along came all these soldiers and they threw me in a dungeon and they shoved a red-hot poker up my ass. Is that considerate? Now is that right? and not a tube of Preperation H in sight !"
 
It is important to note that suddenly, and against all probabiliy, a Sperm Whale had been called into existance, several miles above the surface of an alien planet. Since this isn't a naturally tenable position for a whale, this innocent creatre had very little time to come to terms with its identitity. This is what it thought, as it fell; The Whale: Ahhh! Woooh! What's happening? Who am I? Why am I here? What's my purpose in life? What do I mean by who am I? Okay okay calm down calm down get a grip now. Ooh, this is an interesting sensation. What is it? Its a sort of tingling in my... well I suppose I better start finding names for things. Lets call it a... tail! Yeah! Tail! And hey, whats this roaring sound, wooshing past what I'm suddenly gonna call my head? Wind! Is that a good name? It'll do. Yeah, this is really exciting. I'm dizzy with anticipation! Or is it the wind? There's an awful lot of that now isn't it? And whats this thing coming toward me very fast? So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like 'Ow', 'Ownge', 'Round', 'Ground'! Thats it! Ground! Ha! I wonder if it'll be friends with me? Hello Ground! [Dies] The Book: Curiously the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias, as it fell, was, 'Oh no, not again.'

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)
 
Jenny_Jackson said:
"We're dead meat" Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome

That kid had a couple of good "dead meat" lines in that scene.

"Alright everybody, drop your guns or you're all dead meat!"

*sees badguys behind them*

"Oh, I think we're all dead meat!"

"Dad! Dad! Get in the plane! We're dead meat dad! We're dead meat!"

*good guys catch up to kid*

"I warned you Dad!"
 
Patton: What are you doing down there, solldier?

Soldier: I'm getting some sleep, sir.

Patton: Well you get right back down there. You're the only person in this army who knows what he's doing.
 
"There are many ways to conquer. You captured Honoria without lifting a sword, and she may be the key to your next conquest. To conquest, however achieved."

"Well, tell her that! First, she plots against me with a butler, then she offers half of my empire to a barbarian!"

"It's shameful how much this city fawns over athletes. Some of them make more money than I do."

"She's lucky that she wasn't executed."

"She'll probably wish that she were. She's been given to Pulcheria."

"I almost pity her."

"Me too."

"There's only one possible reason that you'd let me out of prison."

"Why is that?"

"If I had to guess, I'd say that the Huns are the move, and you and the rest of Rome are petrified."

"So many people are so boringly virtuous these days. The 'will of God' this and the 'will of God' that. I only know of one other person who really take destiny seriously. Flavius Aetius."

"You'd never dare such a threat without the Huns at your back."

"Now you know what it is to have your child stolen from you."

"The fault lies with his master for giving the order, not him for carrying it out."

"My daughter married to a barbarian? She'd be the laughingstock of Rome."

"I doubt it, but at least there would be a Rome to do the laughing."

"A few more like him, and Rome could conquer the world all over again."

from Attila
 
Edge23 said:
From "Bulletproff Monk"

Monk With No Name: "An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of...Cocoa Puffs."

creamsicle.jpg
 
From As Good As It Gets one of the most quotable relatively recent movies:

Melvin Udall: I've got this, what - ailment? My doctor, a shrink that I used to go to all the time, he says that in fifty or sixty percent of the cases, a pill really helps. I *hate* pills, very dangerous thing, pills. Hate. I'm using the word "hate" here, about pills. Hate. My compliment is, that night when you came over and told me that you would never... well, you were there, you know what you said. Well, my compliment to you is, the next morning, I started taking the pills.
Carol Connelly: I don't quite get how that's a compliment for me.
Melvin Udall: You make me want to be a better man.​

Simon Bishop: Melvin, do you know where you're lucky? You know who you want.

Frank Sachs: If there's a mental health organization that raises money for people like you, be sure to let me know.

Melvin Udall: Well, it's not right to go into details, I got nervous. I screwed up, I said the wrong thing... Where if I hadn't, I could be in bed right now with a woman who, if you make her laugh, you got a life. Instead I'm here with you (gestures to the bartender) No offense, but a moron pushing the last legal drug.

Receptionist: How do you write women so well?
Melvin Udall: I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability.

Melvin Udall: Where do they teach you to talk like this? In some Panama City "Sailor wanna hump-hump" bar, or is it getaway day and your last shot at his whiskey? Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.​
 
From True Romance, 1993, Tony Scott. James Gandolfini as a Mafia hitman in the motel room with Patricia Arquette:

Virgil: Now the first time you kill somebody, that's the hardest. I don't give a shit if you're fuckin' Wyatt Earp or Jack the Ripper. Remember that guy in Texas? The guy up in that fuckin' tower that killed all them people? I'll bet you green money that first little black dot he took a bead on, that was the bitch of the bunch. First one is tough, no fuckin' foolin'. The second one... the second one ain't no fuckin' Mardis Gras either, but it's better than the first one 'cause you still feel the same thing, y'know... except it's more diluted, y'know it's... it's better. I threw up on the first one, you believe that? Then the third one... the third one is easy, you level right off. It's no problem. Now... shit... now I do it just to watch their fuckin' expression change.

And if you've never seen the Christopher Walken/Dennis Hopper exchange in the same movie ... dynamite ... well, here ya go.
 
"Writers use lies to tell the truth."

- V for Vendetta.

"It's not about anger - it's about peace. It's not about power - it's about grace. It's not about knowing your enemy - it's about knowing yourself."

- Bulletproof Monk.
 
Jareth: How you've turned my world, you precious thing. You starve and near exhaust me. Everything I've done, I've done for you. I move the stars for no one. You've run so long, you've run so far. Your eyes can be so cruel, just as I can be so cruel. Though I do believe in you. Yes, I do. Live without your sunlight. Love without your heartbeat. I-I can't live within you...

Sarah: Give me the child.

Jareth: Sarah, beware. I have been generous up until now, but I can be cruel.

Sarah: Generous? What have you done that's generous?

Jareth: Everything! Everything that you wanted I have done. You asked that the child be taken, I took him. You cowered before me. I was frightening. I have reordered time. I have turned the world upside-down...and I have done it all for you. I am exhausted from living up to your expectations of me. Isn't that generous?

Sarah: Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered…I have fought my way to the castle beyond the Goblin City. For my will is as strong as yours...and my king—

Jareth: Stop! Wait. Look Sarah. Look what I am offering you. Your dreams.

Sarah: and my kingdom as great—

Jareth: I ask for so little. Just let me rule you…and you can have everything that you want.

Sarah: *mumbling to self* Kingdom as great? Damn! I can never remember that line.

Jareth: Just fear me, love me, do as I say…and I will be your slave.

Sarah: My kingdom as great—my kingdom as great—*look of sudden realization* You have no power over me.


~ Labyrinth


I have to say that I’ve always hated Sarah. She’s a spoiled bitch even to the end. You think that she’s grown through her experiences, and matured, but she hasn’t really. She’s the same self-centered brat that she was at the start of the movie. The proof of this comes when Jareth expresses all the things he’s done in a futile attempt to please her; she completely ignores him, as if he’s saying nothing at all. Her only focus is on her goal, getting what she wants, and nothing else in all the world has any relevance.

At the beginning of the movie, she hates Toby (her baby brother) and her stepmother and, seemingly, everyone else in the world. At the end, she loves Toby, and has forgiven all the imagined slights from her stepmother and father. I believe that’s only because she’s found a new villain to despise, namely Jareth.

I feel for Jareth. He loves this girl. Who knows why, but does anyone ever really know why he or she loves someone? Regardless of reasons, he loves her, and he gets nothing but insults, demands and derision from her. I know that Jareth is not a “nice” or “good” person, but we’re talking about someone who would do just about anything for the person they love, and in return is treated like shit.

Be honest. If this character wasn’t prejudged by his position, being the Goblin King, and was just some schmuck off the street telling you how he did everything ever asked of him, and the love of his life did nothing but dump on him, you’d think she was a complete bitch who should be publicly shot, and you’d feel sorry for the poor bastard. Of course, he’s not, and you hate him because he’s wearing the black hate, while Sarah’s supposedly wearing the white hat.

It’s so sad. At the end, he seems to realize that she’s no good for him. He says, “I can’t live within you.”, and you understand that he’s come to understand the true extent of her self-involment. If someone isn’t completely wrapped up in her desires then she has no use for them and he understands this finallya dn knows that he can’t live that way.

Earlier in the film, she cries, “That’s not fair!” Something that we hear from her repeatedly through the movie, and she only admits that things aren’t always fair when it’s not her own wants on the line. He rejoins, “You say that so often. I wonder what your basis for comparison is.”

However, even through all this, he still can’t seem to accept it. He tries one last time to make her understand how desperately he loves her. In their final scene together, she speaks the last line delivered, “You have no power over me.” We’re meant to think that this is a revelation on her part, and it is, but it’s not a good one, though we aren’t supposed to think so. What she’s actually realized is that she holds all the cards in their relationship. He has no power over her because it’s truly she who’s held the power without realizing it. That is always the way of a one-way relationship. If one person loves unreservedly, and the other not at all, then the one who has no heart holds the key to the kingdom. She says, “My will is as strong as yours and my kingdom as great”, and this is true because his will, his kingdom and all his power is hers for the asking.

Personally? I love this movie, but see it much differently than most, I think. I see it as a tragic story of unrequited love that ends in the true black hat living happily ever after, and the grey hat living an eternity of lonely isolation, restricted to looking in on the joy he might have had, but never will. All due to his having the misfortune of falling in love with someone so shallow, and self-centered, that she can’t see past the end of her own nose; someone incapable of recognizing the opportunity to guide another person of questionable character from the shadows and into the light.
 
Back
Top