The Official Weather Thread

It's warm again. 70s to 80s. There is a slight breeze, though.
 
Well, the snow didn't last long.

But it was -37 C (-34 F) in the northern part of the country today.
 
We're at the day's high now, of 20F. More importantly, I have to go out to the shed and retrieve my snowblower to remove the first accumulation of snow, which fell last night. It's going to be a crowded garage for a while, as I'm still trying to repair my lawn mower and hadn't gotten around to putting our bikes away yet.
 
Let's just say that it's not the best day here for doing work outdoors that requires bare hands for fine finger control. It would have been so much more convenient if she'd broken her car mirror in July. High in the teens and a wind-chill factor of 0F.
 
I am getting very "over it."
Snot freezing on contact cold. Inhuman. Hibernating. Windchill warnings. Feels like -35, hey folks don't forget yer hats!
 
I am getting very "over it."
Snot freezing on contact cold. Inhuman. Hibernating. Windchill warnings. Feels like -35, hey folks don't forget yer hats!

Sounds more like hey folks don't forget to turn into polar bears.
 
Seela has REAL -34, I have fake -34 which is really -7. My mind boggles, as I double layer everything.
 
It's 60! >.< My hands and feet are very cold. Time for more clothing.

How does anyone live in snowy places??

*waddles away shivering wrapped up in a blanket*
 
Seela has REAL -34, I have fake -34 which is really -7. My mind boggles, as I double layer everything.

Fortunately I didn't have the -34F (-37C) weather. I had a balmy 24F (-4C) that day. The crazy cold weather was in the north and east. I live in the south -- that means I live roughly on the same latitude as Anchorage. The sea hasn't frozen over yet, so the water's keeping the temperature a bit higher than it probably would be otherwise.

It was a stormy night and is still a stormy morning. Electicity's been cut off at times, trams aren't running, traffic's jamming. It's stupidly warm, too. Not the greatest winter weather.
 
Last edited:
You've never REALLY enjoyed spring like you have after a winter like these - the ones where you inhale and the inside of your nose freezes. After six months of that - the first week of 50 degrees has you frolicking in a flimsy dress and so horny you'll fuck a tree. I like snow and winter down to about 20 degrees. The rest I endure because the rest of the year kicks so much ass.
 
After being way too cold for quite some time, it's warmed up here in the last few days. It's 75 at the moment. But because the weather gods are fickle, there will be storms--possibly tornado-inducing ones--tomorrow, and then it's going to get cold as fuck again. :rolleyes:
 
It's currently 60 degrees (15C) outside. The Arctic front will be swooping in later tonight, and it will snow (but not stick, I'm sure). The high tomorrow is supposed to be 23 (-5C), and the low is supposed to be 8 (-13).

This is going to suck SO bad.
 
Last edited:
Winter like it is at it worst today.
We didn't see anything worth calling daylight, it rained constantly and it was really cold and windy.
 
We reached the daily high of -11 a few minutes ago. As SW said, it's cold as fuck. I'm not at all looking forward to taking down the outside Christmas tree this afternoon, but the last day for pickup by the city is tomorrow. Will also have to clear the driveway for the eighth or ninth time in the last five days.
 
Amarillo, 16F, snow on the ground.
It was around 0 last night though, but my folks back up in CO report negatives, and at one point opened their door to find another door (of snow).

Though, when I was in Dallas for the Holidays (the... 27th-29th) it was snowing and cold (holiday in the park was... so not fun.)
 
You guys are making me envy you. It's been at least 40 ºC (104F) here all week, and it feels so much hotter than that during the day.
 
Why Did I Do This????

Why oh why did I decide coming to PA in early January would be an okay idea????

Okay, it's my turn as caregiver for my mom, but still....Arrived Sat. night. Yesterday was freezing rain all day and into the night. Today started at 40F and is dropping rapidly into the low 30s, to plunge to just about 0 overnight. And it's windy. The high tomorrow is supposed to be 12! I know it's much colder in some places, but when I left Phoenix on Saturday it was a lovely 72. <whine>

One tragicomic moment yesterday was watching a flock of seagulls that regularly congregate in our nearest supermarket parking lot this time of year. Cornell ornithologists have tracked them in years past...they fly up from the Delaware Bay for their winter vacation. There were about 25 out in the lost yesterday, fluffed up and braving the icy rain in their usual spot. An hour later (for forgotten items) they had disappeared. I have to wonder where they went? They were back again, this morning. I have an urge to buy a loaf of bread to feed them.

ETA: It's 8 pm and the temp is now 17F with 17 mph winds = 2F wind chill.
 
Last edited:
You guys are making me envy you. It's been at least 40 ºC (104F) here all week, and it feels so much hotter than that during the day.

I'll happily trade with you. It's currently 16 degrees (-8C). It is not supposed to get this fucking cold here.

No, seriously, this has already been the coldest winter in recent memory. I'm pretty sure the last time it got this cold was when I was in the 3rd grade, and the fucking American Southeast got a foot or more of snow.

Have I mentioned that it's not supposed to get that cold here? Because it's not. :mad:

And also, it's even more brutal because IT WAS 60 DEGREES (15C) YESTERDAY!!!!!

/angry Bunny
 
The weather has been strange here. Was in the 70s today and has steadily dropped. It'll be in the 30s tonight. That's what we call cold down here. It's the first time this winter people have pulled out sheets for their plants. Yes, that's right, we tuck our plants in when it's cold. (ーー; )
 
Well, it's staying around freezing in Amarillo, which is nice.
Though, and I forgot to mention this earlier, my furnace seems to be... how should I put this.... not fucking working.
So my apartment is heated by little white fan heaters from walmart.
That's totally safe. *Bangs cane against heater*
I must admit that I use the term heated very loosely.
The only room that is actually warm is the bedroom.
The rest of the apt is 60 or lower.

Oh, I should take the time to mention that my fucking furnace works GREAT, like, totally works amazingly, when it's 50 or 60 outside.
Like, that makes me SO happy.

Though, what can I expect.
Ever since I moved down to Texas some sort of temperature control has been broken. In my old apartment the AC was broken all summer.
Yeah, Texas summer, no AC. It's a hell of a lot harder to cool a room down than it is to warm one up.

(All temperatures done in F.)
 
It was 42 degrees outside when I went out (5C). Normally, this is way, way, way too cold for me, but the air is so strangely dry--15% humidity, which never happens--that it was comfortable out there in just a sweater.

What is up with this?
 
It's been pretty brisk here lately so tonight I'm responding by watching a warm-weather movie from the summer of 1975. Jaws.
 
Back
Top