I'm going to a shrink & I need advice

This is a little too late, but find out what patient rights you have by law, even if you never intend to make a point about them. They're there to protect you, and sometimes the experts can get a bit over-zealous.

This is a little too late, but find out what patient rights you have by law, even if you never intend to make a point about them. They're there to protect you, and sometimes the experts can get a bit over-zealous.

Thanks, but I think the most I could sue her for in a malpractice suit is being too nosy :D. If it weren't for the shrink/nutjob relationship, I think we could be good friends, obviously that will never happen.

Thanks, but I think the most I could sue her for in a malpractice suit is being too nosy :D. If it weren't for the shrink/nutjob relationship, I think we could be good friends, obviously that will never happen.

It's great to hear that this is working for you.

Here is an epilogue to my shrink adventure. As Sir likes to say "the shit went sideways" with her. She became overly nosy about graphic details of our physical relationship. Sir came with me to a session to address this and she absolutely swooned over him, but she did improve for a while after that. The final straw came when she suggested that Sir and I go out to dinner with her and her husband. It became too creepy, so I bowed out gracefully and we parted on fairly good terms, she was very insistent that I keep seeing her until the very end.

In a way, I feel vindicated that my dislike for shrinks going in was partially correct, but that is only half of the story. Under her care, I made tremendous strides and I am a much different person today than I was at the beginning. I have accepted who and what I am and my behavior is now more "normal", where before I could be manic at times. Knowing what I know now, I would still do it again.

Thanks for listening and your support.

That's seriously creepy! Very wise bowing-out there.

Our marriage counselor is like the polar opposite. She's on maternity leave right now, and wouldn't even allow me to knit a baby set or anything, due to her ethics about personal relationships with patients. She's such a sweetie, I was really disappointed. :eek:

That's seriously creepy! Very wise bowing-out there.

Our marriage counselor is like the polar opposite. She's on maternity leave right now, and wouldn't even allow me to knit a baby set or anything, due to her ethics about personal relationships with patients. She's such a sweetie, I was really disappointed. :eek:

To me, it's best to keep a dr/patient relationship on a strictly professional level.

I'm very thankful that I had reached most of my milestones and goals before it went sour. The good news is that I am healthy enough to work on my remaining issues with Sir and myself. If I feel like I am backsliding, I will try an find another shrink, something I dread.

Back