Does anyone here believe in Astrology and Numerology?

I just characterize you as Aries and no Pisces. That's not much.

I don't know Pisces who are hot to show their ass to everyone. Pisces always tend to be more introverted, mystical, dreaming, sentimental, decent. Aries are more dominant, impulsive, direct, egoistic.....and kind of naive (a trick to make her dominance bearable...;) )

So...now you know how you are :p

I think you have captured some of my character, but certainly not completely and not as accurate as I'd have expected (if there were actual basis in fact to astrology!)
Lucky guess, would be my take :cool:

I had a friend who got sucked up into the Wicca cult. Before long she was casting spells and talking about vampirism. It ruined the friendship. I couldn't relate to her anymore and I couldn't resist pointing out how colossally stupid her and her new friends were. I can give an intellectual pass to people who believe in mainstream religions. Their beliefs are perhaps just as irrational, but they have been brainwashed since they were little and have developed a strong emotional attachment to their faith. But people who believe in new age crap annoy the shit out of me!

I think you have captured some of my character, but certainly not completely and not as accurate as I'd have expected (if there were actual basis in fact to astrology!)
Lucky guess, would be my take :cool:

I only know your sun sign, not the whole horoscope (I miss the year)...

I had a friend who got sucked up into the Wicca cult. Before long she was casting spells and talking about vampirism. It ruined the friendship. I couldn't relate to her anymore and I couldn't resist pointing out how colossally stupid her and her new friends were. I can give an intellectual pass to people who believe in mainstream religions. Their beliefs are perhaps just as irrational, but they have been brainwashed since they were little and have developed a strong emotional attachment to their faith. But people who believe in new age crap annoy the shit out of me!

Heh.
I'm particularly fond of people who think carrying a certain stone will make you 'feel better'.
It's a lump of rock, ffs.
:rolleyes:

Heh.
I'm particularly fond of people who think carrying a certain stone will make you 'feel better'.
It's a lump of rock, ffs.
:rolleyes:

My father used to keep a small box of little polished stones on his desk. He called them "shoe rocks." He said they were the universal cure. For every problem, he recommended putting a rock in your shoe and working all day. No matter what else was wrong, when you took the rock out of your shoe, you felt better.

I have a few friends who are completely into them, and every morning I wake up to 5 or 6 emails detailing my 'portents' for the day.
Personally, I think it's all hogwash and hocus, but I tolerate them sending me this stuff because we're friends (although I delete without reading any!)
But I'm a curious sort - so I want to know if anyone here actually believes this stuff? Do you follow what it says? Plan your day because of what you read?

Oh... and if you do,.why? What makes you believe it's real?

Nah. We Leos are much too skeptical for all that nonsense.

I check mine for all my important stock tips. Anything less would be irresponsible.

You most likely meant this as a joke but I know people who actually do it and the kind of money involved is ridiculous. And what's even more ridiculous is that I haven't seen any person lose money after following those tips.

I only know your sun sign, not the whole horoscope (I miss the year)...

Proper astrologers ask for DOB, time of birth (the more accurate the time, the more accurate the reading), and place of birth (longitude, latitude) to make a horoscope.

I know more about this stuff than I'd like to because I have friends and family members who believe in this stuff.

I find your viewpoint particularly disturbing. As a southerner I was raised right in the Bible Belt and let me assure you the Southern Baptist influence was strong. I do have a brain and a very inquisitive mind and decided to ask more questions. The religions you are referring to as New Age actually predate what we consider to be modern day Judaism/Christianity/Islam/Hindu. You consider astrology to be ridiculous, yet it is an ancient scientific practice. perhaps you should be a little more open minded and do some research before making blanket statements.
I do read Tarot cards, I do consult with psychics, I do read my horoscope and have had my natal chart completed. Am I crazy? No, I'm an open minded , intelligent woman who knows there is more in this world than can be explained.

Not while Saturn's in the 7th house.
A user ID with only 4 characters will bring you greater luck and spunk on this board.

Nobody is to send me spunk. I will get mad. :D

I don't think believing in crystals for healing properties is really weird.
It's not my cup of tea but they may feel better because of the power
of positive thinking.

I had my Tarot cards read once for $10. She said I was going on a long
trip over water. Possibly in a boat. I was mean and burst out laughing.
I only travel by plane or car as I get very seasick.

I find your viewpoint particularly disturbing. As a southerner I was raised right in the Bible Belt and let me assure you the Southern Baptist influence was strong. I do have a brain and a very inquisitive mind and decided to ask more questions. The religions you are referring to as New Age actually predate what we consider to be modern day Judaism/Christianity/Islam/Hindu. You consider astrology to be ridiculous, yet it is an ancient scientific practice. perhaps you should be a little more open minded and do some research before making blanket statements.
I do read Tarot cards, I do consult with psychics, I do read my horoscope and have had my natal chart completed. Am I crazy? No, I'm an open minded , intelligent woman who knows there is more in this world than can be explained.

There are indeed things in this world for which we do not have wholly satisfactory explanations. The phenomenon of consciousness comes to mind. But IMO, it is better to wait for a good answer, or to accept that the mystery may never be solved, than to settle for a hocus pocus explanation.

From Wikipedia: Astrology has been rejected by the scientific community as having no validity or explanatory power for describing the universe (a pseudoscience). Among other issues, there is no proposed mechanism of action by which the positions and motions of stars and planets could affect people and events on Earth that does not contradict well understood basic aspects of biology and physics.[5]:249[6] Scientific testing of astrology has found no evidence to support any of the premises or purported effects outlined in astrological traditions. Where astrology has made falsifiable predictions, it has been proven wrong.

Entropy is, for some people, terrifying. In order to deny it's existance, they dream up patterns and popluate them with confirmation bias.

Those who lack the imagination to dream up their own patterns buy patterns from chalatans. Which is why we have Astrology and Numerology.

The same can be said for death. Which is why we have Religion.

America has something that kicks astrology's ass: Democrats.

Back