Protection, at a price ... (Closed for DM & DeathsKnight)

Her smile met his as she saw Ben leaning against the car waiting for her.

"Looking good there Sammie, maybe I will have to stay around to protect you from marauding bandits that want to kidnap you for a shotgun wedding."

Again the familar 'Sammie', but she couldn't help but laugh.

"I think if there's any risk of any kind of kidnap, then you're the man to have around ... "

She told him smoothly as she got into the passenger seat and waited for Ben to get in and drive off. Like the day before they headed out towards town, but so much had happened since, both in regards to those threatening her family and between her and Benjamin.

"So one day you will be able to throw an over amorous boyfriend to the floor, hope I'm not closing the door in some hopeful's face."

She glanced across at him, uncertain whether he was trying to flirt, to recapture what had been interrupted last night or if this was Benjamin when he was less stressed by imminent attacks.

"Well I can throw you ..."

She responded.

"... but I could never describe you as ' over amorous'."

She watched him drive and wondered if he would ever pick up on the fact she was interested in him.

" ... and if I were interested in someone usually he'd know."
 
Benjamin Krauze

He made a show of rubbing his back as he drove,

"Ah yes I can remember that you did just that. Hands off for me then."

He chuckled, turned into one of the roads and glanced at her,

"You seem upset at times when it comes up that the case is now coming to an end...or is that just my imagination?"
 
"Ah yes I can remember that you did just that. Hands off for me then."

Samantha laughed, but noted that he intended to maintain a 'hands off' approach. She bit back a sigh and watched the surroundings speed by.

"You seem upset at times when it comes up that the case is now coming to an end...or is that just my imagination?"

It was a leading question and she considered how to answer for long moments.

"Why would I be upset to finally get my freedom back?"

She responded finally.

" ...as for imagination, I guess we could both be accused at having over-active imaginations at times ... "

She shrugged, letting him off the hook for the previous evening.
The interrupted kiss meant nothing, it seemed.
Doubtless Benjamin already had plans for his future, but she was not going to ask him about that.

"What time are we eating?"

She asked instead.

"I hope you haven't arranged for any surprise guests today..."
 
Benjamin Krauze

He nodded, seemed like she didn't actually seem upset, maybe the kiss was just nothing, just an impulsive move.

"Well we are almost there, so it should not take too long,"

he gave her a grin,

"No surprises today, I've learned my lesson well."

As he spoke he slowed down and pulled into the parking space,

"And here we are."

He gave her a smile then got out, checking the surroundings and then opened her door for her,

"And the princess steps out of her chariot, gracing the commoners with her lovely smile and warm presence."

He said this in a low voice so that only she could hear him, he flashed her a smile and then offered his arm, walking into the restaurant with her.
 

"Well we are almost there, so it should not take toolong.
No surprises today, I've learned my lesson well."


True to his word, they soon pulled into the parking space.

As he spoke he slowed down and pulled into the parking space,
Although as far as Melissa knew all potential dangers had been dealt with, but Benjamin seemed vigilant; force of habit Samantha concluded.

"And the princess steps out of her chariot, gracing the commoners with her lovely smile and warm presence."

She heard him murmur as she slid out of the car. She wasn't sure what he meant by it, but decided just to enjoy his company for what might be the last time and took his arm to walk into the restaurant.

They were greeted warmly and allocated a table. Samantha looking round before considering the menu.

"So ... aside from this being a fun outing ... why are we here?"

She asked him.

"As you said, the 'case' is now coming to an end, so I should be able to go where I want without having to be escorted everywhere shouldn't I?"
 
Benjamin Krauze

"This is just a fun outing, a meal and that is it. I did say that you need to get out more and although I really know that you want to be able to move around freely, it's not over yet. They may still make an attempt on you, although after what they tried last night, I think they are starting to run out of options."

He looked away and quietly continued,

"We are also here, because I like being with you and you seem to like the partial freedom."

For a moment he didn't say anything,

"Just a bit of normality you know?"
 
"This is just a fun outing, a meal and that is it. I did say that you need to get out more and although I really know that you want to be able to move around freely, it's not over yet. They may still make an attempt on you, although after what they tried last night, I think they are starting to run out of options."

Samantha nodded; so there was still cause for concern. She bit back a sigh.
Just when she began to feel safer, she realised that her assumptions had been premature. Much as she didn't want to lose Benjamin's company, she was sick of living under constant threat ...

"We are also here, because I like being with you and you seem to like the partial freedom."

She tried to read his expression, wondering how much he liked her, but dropped her eyes to study the menu instead as he continued.

"Just a bit of normality you know?"

She put the menu down and shook her head.

"No ... I don't know actually.
It's been so long, I think I've forgotten what being normal is like. "


:rose:
 
Benjamin Krauze

He smiled,

"Yes it has, yet...you know how to capture it, that much I've seen in the short time we've been together."

He shifted his gaze back to her's, his eyes capturing and holding her eyes,

"You even showed me what it is to just be normal for a bit."

He didn't say much further, his eyes holding her's, not allowing them to escape his attention, the spell only broken by the waiter showing up at their table. Benjamin gave her the best smile he had and turned his gaze to the waiter,

"I'll take coffee, the biggest and strongest you have."
 
"Yes it has, yet...you know how to capture it, that much I've seen in the short time we've been together."

Samantha made a neutral response.

" ...perhaps ... "

But was surprised by his suddenly intense look.

"You even showed me what it is to just be normal for a bit."

It was true that the life he led was far from normal and at times they had been able to share on a deeper level than they probably had with any other ... but then he always withdrew ....

"I'll take coffee, the biggest and strongest you have."

Following his lead she ordered simply, " capuccino" ... waiting until the waiter had left before she commented.

"There's no reason why you shouldn't have a normal life, Benjamin.
You would have whatever you wanted, financially, romantically, or whatever...
Your problem is that you don't look for opportunities ... or ... spot them when they're staring you in the face ... "


It was more than she'd intended to say, so she shrugged and kept her gaze from his, choosing instead to study her surroundings ...
 
Benjamin Krauze

He looked at her, a smile playing over the corners of his mouth, he reached out and picked up the Menu, opening it he replied,

"My life can never be normal cheri, but it is strange that you find it not that strange."

He looked up from the Menu,

"And maybe I withdraw when I am uncertain,"

a small grin,

"Or I withdraw due to unforeseen circumstances...like last night."

He returned his gaze to the Menu,

"One of the best memories I have."
 
"My life can never be normal cheri, but it is strange that you find it not that strange."

She considered his words.

"And maybe I withdraw when I am uncertain,
Or I withdraw due to unforeseen circumstances...like last night.
One of the best memories I have."


Watching him as he spoke, then found refuge behind his menu, she found him intriguing and exasperating at the same time.

"Your life is far from normal, Ben ..."

She responded softly.

"And though I'll never be a fan of weapons and killing having gone through all this for almost a year in total now, I can at least understand what your life is like and why you need to be so absorbed in a job. A matter of life or death..."

She told him simply.

"As for being uncertain ... "

She blushed faintly.

" ... I don't go around kissing men casually ... and you're the first body guard I've ever been ... interested in ... much less kissed ... "

His eyes had raised to hers as she continued.

" ... and you're not the only one to be uncertain ... the ... dynamics ... between us have been complex at best ... but ... I really like you Ben ... "

She told him simply.

" .... but I have no idea how you feel about me ... or if you've even considered me as more than a walking kevlar vest you have to protect ... ?"

She sighed heavily.

" ... do you even ... like ... me ... or think you could do ... more than just like me, Ben?"

She asked finally trying to make sure there was no ambiguity in her question.
 
Benjamin Krauze

He smiled,

"A walking kevlar vest...that is a new way of describing it and yes I do see you as more than just the woman that I have to protect."

Before he could go any further their coffees arrived, he looked at the waiter,

"I'll have the scrambled egg breakfast."

He looked back at Samantha, little devils dancing in his eyes and a naughty smile on his lips,

"Please don't order just a muffin."
 

"A walking kevlar vest...that is a new way of describing it and yes I do see you as more than just the woman that I have to protect."


Samantha bit back a sigh of expasperation as the waiter arrived to take their order.

"I'll have the scrambled egg breakfast.
Please don't order just a muffin."


She looked at him and rolled her eyes.

" .... continental platter with maple pancakes ... "

She ordered with a smug look.

He could watch her tuck into pastries and toast AND the pancakes that were her favourite.

"Oh ... and a pot of filter coffee also ... "

She instructed and met his eyes defiantly as the waiter left.

"So ... more than a woman you have to protect... then WHAT exactly?"

She asked unwilling to let the matter drop.
 
Benjamin Krauze

He smiled,

"Vielleicht sind sie die frau, die im stande sein wird, mit mir zu leben und mich zu verstehen, und was ich tue."

He poured sugar into his coffee, stirred it and took a sip, the sweet heat was really soothing. Like back in the forest when he spent hours in the cold, pouring rain, mud soaking in every where. The only thing that saved him then was sweet, warm coffee and people had laughed when he took it along, said the bulk would be bothersome. He still got his kill, he looked back at Samantha.
 
"Vielleicht sind sie die frau, die im stande sein wird, mit mir zu leben und mich zu verstehen, und was ich tue."

She watched as he sipped his coffee the only words given to her in response being in German.

Samantha shrugged.

" ... ok ... fine ... "

She had layed herself on the line and told him how she felt.
He wasn't willing to do the same.

"... excuse me ... "

She murmured and moved away from him, heading into the restaurant in search of the washrooms ...
 
Benjamin Krauze

He watched her leave and followed her as she entered the wash rooms, he slowly sipped on his coffee. Maybe she did not understand German, he will have to ask her when she returns, seems like some parts of her file was a bit mistaken.
 
Back
Top