A New King (closed for jascent88)

PlayfulLittle1

UnfortunateAttentionWhore
Joined
Mar 14, 2012
Posts
17,184
The war had gone on for four weeks; neither side won or lost any ground. The only thing that changed was the number of dead on either side. The two Kings had elected to have the outcome decided by single combat. The younger King had eagerly agreed to the proposal, he knew his speed and strength would help him best the experience brought by his opponent.

The morning came and the appointed hour was set, King Peter stood in his silver polished armor, it sparkled in the light that filtered through the openings in the cloudy sky. His short brown hair waved in the light breeze, a smile on his face. He wasn't afraid of death, he had grown up with it, he had ascended the throne at the age of thirteen after his father had died of an illness. Since then other relatives, older relatives thought they would be better suited to sitting on the throne that the young boy. The first assassination attempt came a few months after he had taken the crown. He was out riding and a hidden archer had attempted to hit him, the shot struck him in the shoulder, and knocked him out of the saddle. The horse drug him most of the way back to the stable; he recovered quickly from his injuries and used everything at his disposal to find the culprit and exact his revenge.

Peter stood tall as his opponent rode towards him, he held his helmet in the crook of his arm, his sword was slung at his side. He took a deep breath of the afternoon air, it wasn't too hot and it smelled like rain was coming.

The pleasantries were dispensed and the two locked in battle, the elder King gave Peter all he could handle, he was very skilled and cunning in the art of sword fighting. Peter was no slouch with the blade either and let the older man wear himself out attacking the younger man. When the moment was right Peter smashed his forearm into his opponent’s helmet, stunning the man, Peter placed a kick to the man's hip spinning him and sending him to the ground. The killing blow came swiftly, placed at the base of the neck, the part that the helmet had left exposed.

Peter looked up at the surrounding armies; he had won control over both of them. His word was now law in this newly conquered land. He had the generals and captains of the defeated army brought to him, he had them disperse and sent the men back to their farms.

His men rode with him; they crested a hill and got their first sight of the capital. The body of the dead king was on a cart that was being pulled behind Peter. The rest of the column followed, the clopping of horse hoofs and the clank of armor preceded their arrival to the city.

Peter stopped at the gate "Open this gate in the name of your King" he ordered, this was all part of the ritual.

"We have no King, he is dead" came the reply.

Peter nodded "Yes now accept his body, mourn, and bury your dead" he said as he nodded to cart driver to take the body up to the gate. "In three days you will have a new king" he said, his voice booming against the city walls.

Peter turned and looked to one of his generals "Make camp" he ordered.

They spent a chilly night as the wind howled through the camp; it brought with it the mourning cries of the inhabitants of the city. Rumor had started the spread that Peter would take the princess as his wife to solidify his hold on this land.

Peter walked the land early the next morning, the fog was thick and the air was crisp as he walked through the wet grass. Knowing that this was his land now gave him satisfaction; he had succeeded on the conquest he had sought. He looked up at the walls of the city, that was his city; he would soon sit on its throne. He reached out to touch the wall and winced, his forearm was still badly bruised from the fight.
 
Wrenna paced the floor of her chambers, lost in thought and grief. The old man had not figured largely into her life these last twenty-one years, but he was still her father and still her king. That in itself made him deserving of the heartache she felt so keenly upon his death.

He had been, in fact, the only parent she'd known. Her mother had been lost, along with a baby brother, during childbirth when Wrenna was herself no more than a baby. And with the old king busied in affairs of the kingdom, warring and defending, insinuating himself in every intrigue there was to be found in the neighboring realms, she had been very much left to the care of her attendants. It was not a bad life, and indeed had left her with an independent streak that she knew now would serve her well.

Wrenna went to the window, looking down over the courtyard and the city below, the smoke from the fires of young King Peter's encampment visible over the walls, a stinging reminder of the events of yesterday, and of what was sure to come.

A messenger had been received shortly after the battle. The victorious king demanded to see her today, surely to require her allegiance as was customary. Her heart hardened in her chest, trying to steel herself for this audience. She must meet him, and she must pledge to him, both for herself and for the people who served her father, but nothing said she had to be courtly or civil. And she had no intention of giving any more than she had to.

One of the attendants she had earlier dismissed knocked on the heavy wooden door, pulling her from her dark thoughts. "He is on his way through the city, Highness."

Wrenna turned, her eyes hard, the green in them turned most a stormy grey reflecting the smoke and sky. "When he arrives, show him in to my father's throne room. I shall greet him from his seat, and nowhere else. We may have been defeated, but we are not broken."

Wrenna took a long deep breath, steadying herself for what must come, and made her way to the great stone hall. She took her seat, for the first time since playing here as a child, in throne that had belonged to her father. She felt small and weak, dwarfed by the ornate seat, but sat tall and as commandingly as she could. Waiting for this new king to enter...
 
Last edited:
Peter had rested well the next night and woke up refreshed; the prospect of taking ownership of his new kingdom gave him a boost of energy that was able to overcome the aches that he still felt from the battle. His hips were especially sore, he had received several blows in that region to try and knock him off balance. He limped a little bit as his joints loosened up, his arms were still badly bruised and he had sustained more damage to his ribs than he had previously thought. He raised his arm and lifted his tunic to check the wrapping that had been placed around him to help secure it.

He exited from his bed chamber in the tent and called for one of his attendants to fetch the healer so he could look at his wounds and address anything that needed to be done, he also sent word to his generals to have a column of men prepared into their dress uniforms and armor. Once the orders had been given he sat down and had a light breakfast as the morning intelligence report was given to him.

The spies from within the city passed word along of the happenings in the city, giving him an idea of what sort of situation that they would be walking into this morning. From the reports there was going to be little to no resistance from the main part of the population, the royal families were already trying to curry favor with him and fighting to be the most favored family. A few of them had even offered their daughters as concubine for the new King. Peter had denied all of these requests, he smiled, it would be much more beneficial to have them fighting each other at this point in time.

After breakfast the healer came in and redressed his wounds, taking care to make sure that all of the bandages were hidden from view. Peter dressed, he chose simple hunting clothes for his entrance into the city, his pants were a brown leather and his tunic a bright blue with his family crest woven in silver thread on his chest. He took a brow cloak with him and went to meet his men, they were already assembled.

Peter took his spot at the front of the line; he led the glittering column of armor through the city and up to the castle. As they proceeded through the city they were greeted by large silent crowds that had gathered to see their new ruler. Peter did not make eye contact with any of them; he kept his steely gaze on his target, the palace.

They worked their way through the streets with no resistance; it wasn't till they reached the castle that any one spoke to them. An attendant from the castle called out “Hail King Peter” in a loud booming voice.

Peter raised his hand to acknowledge the greeting “I will see the princess” he said his voice strong and commanding.

“She is waiting for your arrival”

Peter smiled. Good, he thought as he dismounted his horse and nodded for his generals to follow him. They walked through the castle following the attendant as he led them to the main chamber. The guards at the door asked them for their weapons, the generals looked at Peter for his approval. He nodded and they unsheathed their swords and placed them on the ground.

Once they were disarmed they were granted entrance to the audience chamber, Peter strode in, his head high and his shoulders back as he faced the princess. He stood the rein front of her looking up at her, his face a mask as he kept all emotion from it. He stayed quiet as he waited for her to speak, he smiled to himself as she said nothing, she was going to give him the opening gambit in this game, good.

“General Veers” He said turning to one of his men “I was not informed that there had been a coronation” he said venomously as he glared at one of his subordinates.

“I was given no such information” the man replied back not meeting Peter's gaze.

Peter turned back to the princess “Well if there was no coronation” he said as he started to slowly ascend the steps to the main platform “then I can only find it very presumptuous for you to be sitting in that seat” he said his dark eyes locking with Princess Wrenna's, she was a very beautiful woman, and the gown that she wore showed off her figure, they had been smart to dress her like that.

“No matter” Peter said with waive of his hand “we will proceed accordingly” he said as he turned his back to her. She had been well trained, he thought, he could not get a reading on her emotions, yet.

“I want all of the previous flags and standards removed and taken down” he said nodding to the tapestries on the walls. “They are to be replaced by my coat of arms” he said as he pointed for one of the attendants.

“Now we will discuss the transition” he said as he turned back to the princess, “I will be meeting with your administrators and officials and seeing which ones I can keep and which ones I will have to replace” he said starting to recall his lessons of state craft, the foremost one is that it is better to be feared than loved, that came to his mind. “Once that is complete then we will set the date for my coronation and the wedding” he said as he made his way back over to her. He crossed behind her as his fingers ran across the stone throne feeling the coldness of the material. “Once that is complete then we will be taking a tour of the county for the people to meet their new king” he said.

He stood behind the queen's throne, he placed his foot on the back of it and with one hard shove he sent it clattering down the stairs the stone cracked and splintered as it fell apart. He walked over to her and bent his head low, his lips only inches from her ear “Now get out of my chair” he said his barely above a growl.
 
The sound of the splintering throne of her mother, which had sat unoccupied in the hall since the queen's death nearly 20 years ago, echoed in Wrenna's brain even as Peter's growl cut through the fog.

Fury like none she'd ever felt threatened to tear her apart from the inside. Has arrogant face bare inches from hers, it was all she could do not to lash out and slap him, to ball her hands into fists and hit him for the damage and hurt he'd caused to countless thousands of her countrymen since waging this war with her father.

But to destroy the Sparrow Throne as Wrenna sat there looking on... all of her training, the lessons etched into her being through repetition about the behavior befitting a princess, even in such times of strife. None of this was available to her at this moment.

She narrowed her eyes, hissing at him "How dare you, that was my mother's throne. Do you think you can just come in here and destroy Sparrow Throne and still win the hearts of my people? My mother was beloved more than any king ever has been or will be!"

She spat each worth with as much venom as she had in her.

"And, your Majesty...." her voice now dripped with scorn, "The seat where I sit will never, NEVER belong to you, even if you force me from it with your bare hands and sit your arrogant ass in it for the next hundred years."

Wrenna's attendants and advisers looked on, their faces a mixture of stunned panic, fear, and admiration, none dared intervene.

She had never been an easy child to deal with, always too spirited, but when she felt someone was hurt or wronged she was at her most dangerous, and it was well known within the walls of the castle. When she was 14 she'd beaten a visiting prince her own age after she caught him abusing one of her maids. It was kept quiet, a few within the castle knew, but it had earned her the respect of many within the walls. It was however a trait her tutors worked hard to force out of her, as such physicality and anger was ill-befitting a princess.

This temper now showed itself in its full measure. Wrenna was not done by any means, and as she spoke she became bolder and more forceful.

"Yes, you have won your victory by killing my father, and because of that you now rule his kingdom. But by the conventions and traditions we both know and follow this is still my home, these are still my attendants and advisers, and I am still a princess to my people. So unless you plan on alienating and offending the tens of thousands who have followed my family, I suggest you take only what you are owed.

"You may have your banners and standards and you make take whatever preening spoiled whore-daughter the other rulers have tempted you with and marry her and bed her in this very room for all I care. But you will treat me and my house with respect or you will take your army and be gone."

By this time, Wrenna could see that she had gone too far, but she was too angry to care. Her cheeks were flushed and her chest rose and fell noticeably in the tight gown she had been coaxed into wearing. Though her face was still close to Peter's her voice had risen to a near shout by the end of the tirade. Even she was unsure of what his reaction would be, though she tried to appear as stern as she could.

She found him impossible to read, and for a moment she was afraid he would strike her.
 
Peter leaned close to her, she had spirit, he had to give her that much. He smiled as he stared into her face for a long moment before he stood up and turned around. He clasped his hands behind his back as he paced back and forth in front of her a time or two. He turned and tapped his finger to his lips "Perhaps if I had known what an insolent daughter the King had I would have let him come back home and train his daughter in how to act properly" he said as he smiled at her. He could see the anger in her face, the flush in her cheeks, he was provoking just the reactions that he was going for.

He moved closer to her "The seat you now sit in is mine" he said quietly his voice only a hiss "this kingdom is mine and if your highness cares as much about the safety of her people she had better start showing her new ruler the proper respect". His face was still a mask of calm but there was a glint of anger in his eyes as he spoke "my men are camped at the entrance to this city, to help keep order, or to throw it into chaos at my command" he said as he stood up.

"The choice is yours on how your people are to be treated" he said with a waive of his hand as he started back down the steps. "General Veers, have more men brought into the city, it appears that they might be needed" he finished and watched as the other man saluted and headed out of the room.

He walked back up to her and stood over her "Your advisers and attendants will be replaced by those who are loyal to me. Things are going to change very dramatically around here for you, princess"

He leaned down and spoke so that only she could hear him "I have turned down all of the other whore-daughters that have been offered to me. I actually will enjoy teaching you how to please me" he said "we will be wed in two days".

Peter stood up and drew back his shoulders "The coronation and wedding will occur in two days time" he announced as he started to walk back down the steps. "I will have my banners sent up here from my camp this afternoon" he said motioning for his men to follow.
 
As the King spoke, Wrenna remained motionless, and unable to speak. Her shock at his multitude of proclamations and assurances was the only thing keeping her from flying at him in a crazed rage.

Finally the steward, who’d been watching from his place at the outskirts of the
room behind the dais, strode slowly forward and rested his hand on Wrenna’s shoulder. It was a move that calmed her, warned her, but more than that, it restrained her.

Wrenna glanced up at the old man as Peter’s words rolled over her, eyes wide as she absorbed bits and pieces of what the figure before them was saying. The steward’s eyes locked on hers. Be still, they warned, and for the sake of your people, think before you speak again. Garren had long been the only person who could convince her to hold her tongue.

Whispers of this neighboring king's power and ruthlessness were common since his ascension, and in the last four weeks the tales of him had spread and grown to mythic proportions. Men and women alike spoke of him with fear and awe. There was no mistaking the deadly threat in his words for mere show. He would do what he said.

By the time Peter turned and made his way towards the door, Wrenna knew that it would be dangerous to let her tirade be the last words from her at this, their first meeting. She was reckless, but as her breath slowed under the pressure of Garren’s hand, some pieces of what must now be done fell into place.

It was as difficult a thing as she’d ever done. “King Peter…”The words were louder than they should have been, but his strides hardly slowed. Her eyes closed and her teeth clenched as she called out, trying desperately to soften her voice to a more pleasing register, “Your Majesty, please….” She cursed inwardly at the break in her voice.

The king stopped, his guards halted at his heels and he turned to face her, slowly. His brows raised and his faced arranged in a maddening mask of dispassionate indulgence. He did not speak, but rather waited for Wrenna to continue.

She cleared her throat. “Your Majesty… these people…. Please, the people in this city have done nothing to earn your wrath but to pay homage to their king. Do not let my…” Wrenna glanced at Garren who gave a slight nod, prodding her to go on. “Do not let my haste and my…. grief... color your actions towards my people. They are peaceful and will be loyal if you give them reason to be. “

She shook as she finished, the effort of trying to demur for this man would have broken her under less dire circumstances. A reassuring squeeze at her shoulder rewarded her efforts. Wrenna could not bring herself to address the issue of an impending marriage, her head was still spinning.

A smirk flickered across the king’s face, and Wrenna stiffened again. Wordlessly he turned and walked out of the hall without further acknowledging her plea.

As soon as the huge ornate doors shut behind him, the princess tore herself from the grip of the steward and fled into the castle halls, trying to escape the scene that had just unfolded and to escape the avalanche of questions and uncertainty now looming. Tears stung her eyes and she sought refuge from the somber and piteous expressions she encountered in every passage.

Finally she found herself back in her own quarters. She closed the door, and leaned against it, sliding to the floor shaking and still trying to fight back her tears. In all of her years of tutoring, learning the intricacies of governing and warring and all, she’d never considered the position into which she was now forced.

She knew where her priorities must lie, and that was with the people, not her pride.

She buried her head in her arms, sobbing violently for several minutes before collecting herself. Breathing deeply, she rested her head in her hands, and tried to think more clearly. Those tears, she knew, would need to be the last shed for the loss of what she had. She could only now try to prepare for the future.

She rose, opened her door, and strode out to gather the house. If there were to be dismissals, they would come from her, she thought firmly.
 
Peter was sitting with his advisors in one of his meeting tents. They were going on about issues that need to be addressed within the city, sewage, waste removal and crowd control. All things that Peter knew he had to deal with, but things none the less that bored him, almost beyond belief. He listened to the advisors drone about the benefits of doing things a certain way to reduce the amount of maintenance that would be needed for the system. Peter yawned as he propped himself up on an elbow to listen. He drifted off to replaying the scene in the throne room, how Princess Wrenna had acted and how he had dealt with her. He hoped that they had settled things, but he knew that it would not stay that way; he had seen too much fire in her eyes to know that she was going to be beaten back so easily.

He waited till they had finished some of their more pertinent discussions and then called a stop to the meetings for them to have a meal. Peter retired to his own tent so that he could eat in peace. He needed some time to himself to decide how he wanted to deal with the princess; he knew he needed her to help keep the people in line. If they knew he had power over her they would not be so quick to oppose his rule, and he knew he could use her love of the people against her. He smiled as he took a sip of his wine; marriage was not something he had given much thought to. He always knew it would be a political one. He had been trained well to know how to deal with matter of state craft, not something he relished, but something that he must do none the less.

He had seen the way that the Steward had helped to control Wrenna; he could see that that man had a significant amount of pull with the princess. He wondered just how far he would be able to provoke her without her council.

He clapped his hands and called for one of his attendants "Fetch me the princess, tell her I wish for her to come to my tent for a meeting" he said as he smiled.
 
An hour later, Wrenna arrived at Peter's tent.

She had released most of the staff of the castle, sending them home to farms and cottages with words of thanks, and promises to bring them back when she could. Most of her father's advisers had already begun making arrangements to find other employment. The nature of their positions made them obsolete in a conquered kingdom, and they had no illusions of staying on.

One of the few exceptions was of course Garren, who now accompanied Wrenna. She had tried to tell him to go, to be with his children, told him she had no place to give him in Peter's court, but he stayed. She had to admit she was beyond grateful for this. He was as solid as a mountain, and the only source of calm she had at the moment.

She ducked low as a guard pushed the tent flap open for her, and entered the tent. Wrenna stood blinking for a moment, letting her eyes adjust to the dimmer light of the interior. She scanned the room, the large table at the center littered with papers and books and maps other accouterments of conquest. Weapons and armor were laid off to one side, newly polished, obviously used, but well attended to. Finally she made out Peter's shape, standing off to one side. He simply watched her, silently, and waited for her to speak.

Wrenna was suddenly unsure of herself. She had to admit that when he was not speaking he presented an attractive picture. He was obviously a man who fought his own battles, his shoulders were broad and his arms strong. His eyes, when not cruelly mocking her, were clear and at the moment, perhaps even a little thoughtful, though she was sure that he was simply calculating how best to anger her again.

She glanced back at Garren. He'd had some strong words for her about how she should handle this new meeting, and it should be nothing like the first.

"My King," she began, lowering her head and curtsying. "I was told that you wished to see me?" She held the deep curtsy, waiting for him to acknowledge her before rising.
 
Peter waited a long moment before recognizing her "Yes Princess Wrenna" he said as he waived his hand for her to take a seat at the table where he was located. He leaned back in his chair and gave her a small smile "Would you like anything" he said as he stood up. He called for one of the servants and ordered them to bring in some additional wine and food.

He had been going over some of the more administratively things that would be needed to take over and run the kingdom; he had charts of the city laid out on the table. "I hear that you have dismissed most of your staff" he said with a smile as he returned to his seat. "I am glad to see that you are making the proper preparations for the transition to my staff taking over" he said as folded up a few papers and set them aside.

"Now as for why I called you here" he said as he straightened up and looked at her "I have set things in motion for the wedding to be held tonight" he said as he watched her face. "It will be a small ceremony with only a few attendants, I am having my administrators prepare everything" he said confidently.

He stood up and started to walk closer to her, he stopped next to her and leaned down "Then your kingdom and everything in it belongs to me" he said "including you" he finished.

"That is all" he said with a wave of his hand.
 
Wrenna sat silently for a moment, her mind processing, calculating. It was not until Garren touched her arm, attempting to signal that they had been dismissed, that she spoke, measured and deliberate.

"I seem to recall that you had said we would be married in two days, Majesty, and it has only been one. Do you always change your mind so frequently?" Wrenna watched him, determined to ignore his dismissal. He could make her do many things as her king, but she would take as much delight as she could in making things difficult for him.

She smiled inwardly. If Peter requested and then ended an audience this quickly, perhaps his attention would wander and she would have her kingdom after all. He was bent on conquest, it seemed, and with any luck at all, this would not be the last of his campaigns. She supposed it was too much to hope that he get killed in his next battle, but at the very least, he would be off commanding armies rather than at her side.

No, the less time he spent here, the better. She hoped that he would allow her to remain here rather than force her to return with him to his homeland. She could do no worse than to try to sway his hand...

"Garren," she turned her head slightly, "If you would be so good as to wait for me please. Our new king has called for a meal, and as his future bride and queen, I cannot be so rude as to refuse his invitation." There was a mischief in her eyes that Garren spotted. His jaw flinched, and he wanted to object, but knew that look, and knew that arguing in front of this man would not end well for either of them.

"As you wish, Princess," he replied gruffly. "Call to me if you need anything, I shall be right outside." He bowed low, and muttered, too low for anyone but Wrenna to hear, "Behave yourself girl, I have no doubt he'll throw you out with the dogs if you push him." He straightened and walked out of the tent.

Wrenna reddened slightly, glad for the dimness. She turned to the food and wine the servants set before her, and began to eat, taking very slow and dainty bites, watching Peter as he ignored her. She wondered how long he would allow her to remain before speaking again. She was determined to find out.
 
Peter could see her out the periphery of his vision, watching him as he continued to look at a few of the papers in front of him. He could see her slowly eating, he couldn't help but grin to himself. She really enjoyed testing him to see what he was would do "Yes I do change my mind" he said as he looked over a list "when I find hat the outcome will suit me better" he finished.

He looked up at her and nodded "I'm sure that someone of your position is capable of understanding that" he said. As he looked up at her, he called in an attendant "Please send in General Veers" he commanded. He looked across the table at Wrenna and smiled, he was going to enjoy seeing how she would react to this.

He waited for his general to enter the room before he stop again "General I have a list here of 100 addresses" he said as he held up a piece of paper. "I want them burned to the ground" he said with a smile as looked across the table at Wrenna.
 
"NO!"

Any thought of game play or strategizing immediately vanished. Wrenna stood abruptly, her seat overturned, her eyes wide angry, but more than that, fearful. "My Lord, My KING!" She hurried around the table tearing the paper from Peters hand and grasping his sleeve.

She spoke lowly and urgently, aware that her near shout was likely to have been heard outside. Indeed Garren was already slipping in through the door, standing silently in the background. "Majesty you can't! I beg you! These people have not fought you, have not denied you. I have done as you asked, I've come when you summoned and still you would tear apart families and homes of my people!

Why would you do this? What is it that you want from us?" Tears of frustration threatened to fall, and her voice was tinged with panic. A tendril of red hair had worked itself free from her circlet and fell across her face, it made her look even younger and smaller.

Garren's jaw tightened and it was all he could do not to fall in behind her. He'd rarely seen Wrenna at a disadvantage, never so helpless, and his heart went out to her. She was as a daughter to him. But he knew moving in would be a mistake. Beside that, General Veers was almost as renowned as King Peter for his ferocity and strength, and if he saw Garren as a threat... well, the steward would be no good to anyone dead.
 
Peter watched as she came and snatched the paper out of his hands, he fought hard to keep his emotion in check at this action. She had crossed a line, and he had pushed her to it, good, he knew that he had something that he could use to control her. He let her finish her request, he could see the frantic look in her eyes as she spoke, the tone of her voice raised as she got more angry at the situation. Peter let her finish before he reached out and grabbed her wrist in his large hand "You forget your place" he said coldly as he pulled her hand down to her side. "Your actions are doing nothing to help your people" he said with a grin as his hand moved to hers and began to pry her fingers away from the piece of paper. "In fact they are making things worse" he said as he began to think about how many more houses would have be turned to ash for her insolence.

Peter saw Garren skulking in the shadows "Garren" he called his voice booming around the room "I would have thought that it would have been your job to train the Princess in how to act properly" he said as he nodded to the chair "is this how you all act in your kingdom" he said as his gaze shifted back to Wrenna "if it is then there is much training that will need to occur for the princess" he said with a smile.

His dark brown eyes held hers as he watched her face "I feel that I am up to that task" he said with a chuckle as he pulled the paper away from her. He walked back to the table and set the paper down on the table "So what do you have to offer me Princess" he asked as he tapped the list with his finger.
 
Her heart pounded in her chest. She had greatly underestimated his ruthlessness, it seemed. She had dismissed the stories and rumors whispered by footmen and chambermaids as the fear mongering that always accompanies men of war. She rubbed her abused wrist as Peter spoke, each word felt as if it pushed a great steak deeper into her. She was not sure if it was truely possible to die of failure, but if it was, she thought, she was near to it now.There was only one thing she could do, that had any chance of saving any of her people.

Her eyes met Garren's from across the room. He knew as well as she did. He turned and walked out. He could be no more help here, and she knew he would do his best to help shield her people, or hide them if she failed. She'd half expected the general to follow him, and as grateful she was that Garren would have more time to make preparations unhindered, she was less than glad to have more witnesses for her next words.

She moved slowly, trying to measure her words, considering each one carefully. In his demonstrated mood, she could no longer afford to be hasty if she was going to be of any help to her kingdom.

She sank to her knees at Peter's feet, head bowed. "My Lord," she began, her voice soft and almost trembling, "My Lord I will give you whatever little it is that I have to offer. All that is mine has become yours: My kingdom, my lands, my home, my servants, my very freedom is yours. Tell me what more it is that you want and I assure you, it is already yours. Just please allow me a way to help me spare my people."

Her voice broke as she finished her plea. She knew what it was she was offering, but it could not be helped. It would be his anyway, they were to be married after all and she was not entirely naive to what that entailed.

"My Lord, I beg you, it is all I can do. If you would have your queen live longer than a week into our marriage, please allow me to secure their safety."

The look of disdain on his face was terrifying. She was disgusted at seeming so weak, but any show of strength or fire on her part were met with threats and violence. Wrenna was totally lost and heartbroken, trembling on the dusty floor as she waited for his response, any response.
 
Last edited:
Peter smiled as he watched her sinking to her knees, he knew he had won this round of their sparing. Her offer a little more than he had anticipated at this juncture of things, offering herself for her people was a very bold move. He knew he was going to marry her, but to have her offer it this way made it all the more interesting to him.

He paused for a moment as he looked down at her, her dress muddy from the dirt floor of his tent as she looked up at him, her eyes glossy with fear and trepidation of what he would do next. Peter looked down at her, her red hair picking up the flickers of the candle light in the tent. He reached down and touched her head with his hand "Your offer is accepted" he said coldly as he walked back to the table. He picked up the blank piece of paper and walked back over and dropped it in front of her.

"All that you have is mine, everything" he said as he reached down and patted her on the head "even your body belongs to me" he said. "Nothing that you have or are will be denied me" he said making sure that she understood what he was accepting. He watched as she nodded her head, not looking at him.

"Very well then, under those terms I accept" he said as he clapped his hands. He walked back to the table and sat down in his chair. "Tonight I intend to explore my new castle" he said as he leaned back in his chair, very pleased with how this had went. "I will send my attendants with my things, as my queen I expect to make sure that everything is in place for my arrival and that a suitable banquet has been prepared to celebrate the occasion". He watched her, head still bowed as she refused to look at him "Go and prepare for my arrival" he ordered.

Peter nodded and the flaps to the tent were held open.
 
"No, NO! Bring them into the adjoining chamber. That is fine." Wrenna sighed, for the hundredth time that afternoon. Since having dismissed the bulk of the castle's resident staff, she was having to rely on only a few familiar bodies and what seemed like an entire army of new staff, who'd been sent to ready the castle for the new ruler. At least it occupied her mind and kept her busy

The moments when she found herself alone, her mind wandered back to the dimly lit tent, and her stomach lurched again. She was sure that the look on her face when the blank paper, the "list", had been dropped in front of her, half crumpled from her desperate hands, had been everything King Peter was hoping from her. She had been naive and impulsive, tricked as easily as a child.

She shook her head angrily, trying again to clear her mind of the image and to focus on the tasks at hand. The banquet planning was well underway; indeed the cooks were some of the staff that had been kept on. They were wonderful and sensible people and they had been anticipating the order for a feast. They had been preparing already since early morning.

It would not be a grand affair, thought Wrenna, as this was a small kingdom with few of any sort of noble rank, but what there were would be present, and many had already arrived. Men had been filing into the camp outside the city all morning to pay tribute to the new King. She was glad for this, as it kept Peter busy and eliminated the possibility of any unplanned visits.

Beyond the banquet there was still much to do. The new king’s belongings were being moved into her father’s chambers, and much of what had been there was being removed. She watched wistfully as pieces of furniture and tapestries, trophies and such, things that had been in the same places since she was a child, were walked away into supply rooms and halls.

She was helping Peter’s steward take inventory of the castle as well, though she would have preferred to let Garren do this. The new man was rather cold and brusk, and didn’t seem to appreciate having to get the aid he needed from a mere woman, regardless of her status. Garren however, had disappeared, muttering simply that he had things to attend to outside the city.

The only thing Wrenna was putting off was moving her own things to the queen's chamber. It was a bright room joining that of her father's. He had never considered taking a new queen after Wrenna's mother died, and so the room had been unoccupied, but it had been well kept. Wrenna thought she would probably do little but have her gowns moved in. All else could remain. Including, and especially, the portrait of her mother that hung on the wall.

Wrenna remembered that she used to hide in those rooms as a child when she'd done something particularly rash. She would spend hours looking at the portrait, and it had always been comforting to her. The artist somehow managed to capture an expression that was both kind and perhaps, in some lights, a little playful. Almost as if the eyes, a soft but bright green, were yet alive. Wrenna had been told she resembled her mother quite closely, but had no real memories of her own to compare.

Yes, she sighed, the move would need to be done, and today, but she reasoned she had time. Besides, she was in no rush to consider anything having to do with her impending wedding or marriage. She was thankful that at least this was something Peter was having his own people take care of.
 
Peter enjoyed the rest of the afternoon to himself as he had some time to relax he had made a list of things he wanted moved to the castle and had given them to his steward. He knew his orders would be carried out, and he knew that Wrenna would be busy with preparing things for his arrival this evening. He smiled, it was good to know that she was doing what he had asked of her, perhaps this was a good sign that he was going to be able to control her. Even if it wasn't he would enjoy pushing her to the point where he would have control over her.

He waited till the sun began to set behind the mountains before he dressed and gathered his men. They rode to the castle, the small group of horses hooves echoing off of the stone as they rode. Peter took them at a slow pace so that they could be seen going to the castle. They wound their way along the path till they reached the gates. They found them open and a small contingent of guards waiting for them. They saluted their soon to be ruler and moved aside as his procession entered through the gates. They were greeted by his steward and a small group of attendants.

Peter dismounted his horse as he was greeted "Hail King Peter", Peter raised his and to acknowledge the gretting.

"The Princess has prepared your castle" Peter's steward Barstone said.

Peter nodded, we shall see, he thought as asked "What does she have prepared first".

Barstone said "She would like for you to attend dinner first and then she will show you the castle" he said.

Peter smiled, he was going to enjoy this. The walked through the halls that had been decorated with his standards and banners. "Very good" Peter commented. They continued on through the halls till they got to the feast hall. The hall had been decorated for the occasion, Peters flag had been hung in the hall, the tables had been set and all of the candles were lit to illuminate the room. A small band of minstrels was playing in one corner as he entered the room. They stopped and watched him as he slowly entered the room with his hands behind his back. He looked around and nodded his approval as everyone seemed to relax.

Wrenna came over to greet him herself "King Peter" she said as she kept her voice calm "I hope you find everything to your liking" she said as she indicated to his seat at the head of the table.

Peter nodded "I hope that it is too" he said as he walked past her to take his seat at the table. He walked over to his seat as his men took their seats around him. General Veers taking the seat on Peter's right, once they were seated Barstone came over with the wine and started to fill their glasses.

Peter picked up his cup and took a drink as he started to relax a little, he reached out and took a hunk of bread that was in front of him and started to eat.
 
As Peter began to eat, Wrenna motioned for the servants to begin service. They circulated with jugs of wine and platters and skewers of meats. The men around Peter laughed and ate and Wrenna was pleased. She cared little about this banquet for the new king, but she enjoyed displaying the fruits of her land. He may not care for her, but Peter would have to appreciate the kingdom he now ruled.

By the time Wrenna was done directing the service, the musicians and the attendants, the men were nearly done with the meal. Little or no attention was now paid to the food, but the wine still flowed freely. Wrenna took a seat quietly, hoping to catch any bits of conversation she could.

With her back to the hearth, the fire caught the red lights in her hair, framing her head in an amber halo. She'd been coaxed by an attendant into a deep plum colored gown, which contrasted with her milky white skin. Her hair was tightly plaited as usual in a long red braid that fell down her back. Soft whispy locks escaped around the simple silver circlet. A golden pendant hung from a chain about her neck in the shape of a small sparrow. It glinted in the firelit hall.

She ate slowly, frowning slightly in concentration as she picked at the fruit and cheese on her plate. She was so absorbed in the conversation of the men at the table, listening to them talk of nobles and battles and conquests long past, that she nearly missed Peter's gaze. He'd been mostly quiet, leaving most of the drinking and boasting to his men. Wrenna started when she noticed him, nearly tipping the goblet in front of her, and lowered her eyes. She'd never before been so unsettled by anyone and it made her angry. She thought of the blank paper again, and how easily she'd been manipulated.

She had the distinct feeling, as she flushed under his unreadable stare, that he wasn't yet done. Her stomach twisted tightly as her mind raced ahead to what this evening would still hold.
 
Last edited:
Peter enjoyed the evening, spending time with his men seeing some of the fruits of their labor. He did keep an eye on Wrenna, seeing how she handled having his men in their hall. His gaze often strayed to her, she was a very beautiful girl, the outfit she had chosen was very flattering for her figure. He could see the curves that she had, her hair shimmered in the candle light of the room. They finished eating the prepared meal, it was very good, after a year of having to deal with the food at the camp it was nice to be able to sit down in a hall and enjoy a well prepared meal. He enjoyed the food as did most of his men. He enjoyed the wine too, but not as much as most of his men. The night was still young and he wanted to enjoy the rest of the evening.

After they had finished and were reclining telling stories Peter stood up and started to walk around the room. He stopped next to Wrenna's chair and leaned down. "Follow me" he said as he straightened up and headed towards one of the windows of the hall, he leaned his frame against the edge as he looked out into the night landscape. Several of the houses still had their lamps lit, giving the city a quiet homey look to it. He folded his arms as a soft breeze blew in to the window, the night air was cool but not cold.

"I would like a tour of the castle" Peter said as he felt her step up next to him. He turned to look at her and watched as she nodded. He waived his arm as he motioned that he would follow her. He walked behind her, his eyes drifting down her figure as he watched her hips sway. He smiled to himself, he was going to enjoy this. He followed her as she led him back out to the main courtyard and started the tour.

She took him through the lower levels first, showing him the servants quarters, the work areas and the stables. Then they moved to the middle levels where there was administration and some guest quarters. They made their way through some large meeting rooms and a library. Then they headed up stairs to the royal quarters, they went through all of the smaller rooms before they went into her room. Peter walked in past her as he started to circle the room looking at the things she had chosen to decorate it with.

"So I see you have not moved your things into the Queen's quarters" He said as he clasped his hands behind his back. "I think that is prudent until you officially take that title" he said as he nodded to her.

"Now show me the King's chambers" he said as he watched her.
 
Something inside Wrenna twisted each time King Peter voiced approval. A sort of righteous indignance reared up like an unbroken mare. She resented any implication that she had done any of this for him. He knew better, it was he who'd wrung these promises from her with his deception after all. She did nothing for him. However she was wary of testing him any further after the events of the last two days, and so she made every attempt to keep her outward expressions as cool and neutral as she could.

"Back this way, my Lord, and I will show you where your attendants have arranged your things." Wrenna walked out into the main hall. She knew she could have used the door that connected the two apartments, but, she reasoned, why bring attention to that detail if one doesn't have to. The king's chambers were spacious enough it might be some time before he noted that particular detail.

They walked into the large apartment, and Wrenna stood to one side, watching him pace and circle and examine everything much the same as he'd done in every other space. It was as if he was taking measure of each detail, and trying to commit it to memory. Something about the care he took made her uneasy. He walked slowly, his footsteps cushioned by plush rugs in rich colors. His fingers brushed over the fabrics of the tapestries on the wall, the draperies at the wide windows lining the outer wall. She watched him go up the two low wide steps at the end of the room, and walked around the large bed. He said not a word.

Wrenna cleared her throat, desperate to fill the silence. "All of your personal items have been brought in, and nearly everything of my father's has been... accounted for and removed," Wrenna could not help sounding a little petulant at this. "If you need anything more, I'm certain your steward can arrange to have it for you in short order. Is there other part of the castle you wish to see before we return to your guests?"
 
Last edited:
Peter let her words hang in the air for a very long, very awkward moment "It is not so much another part of the castle that I wish to see" he said as he focused his gaze on her. A soft smile spread on his face as he turned to her and started to move slowly towards her. "I have seen much of what is now mine" he said as he started to circle her. His movements steady and slow like a lion stalking its prey.

He reached out and let his fingers touch her shoulder, then slide around her neck as he moved around her "I wish to see what you have to offer me Wrenna" he said his voice taking on a teasing tone as he smiled at her. He gave her a predatory grin, flashing lots of white teeth at her. "You have been so gracious in showing me everything else" he said as he stood behind her, his hand traveled down her dress to the small of her back, his hand stopped just above her ass as he slid his hand around to her hip.

His other hand moved to her other hip as he started to turn her to face him "I'm sure that you will not deny me this small request" he said as he stepped back from her and moved a chair so he could sit and watch her.
 
Wrenna was so stunned, at first she thought she must have heard him incorrectly. As the words echoed through her ears though, she knew she had not.

"M-m-my Lord. Surely you can't.. I mean... the ceremony. And your guests!" Her eyes searched his face and she saw no change. Her whole body grew hot. She felt a rage welling up within her. If he thought he was going to force her to submit to him before their marriage... She clenched her fists.

"I am the daughter of a king! I will do no such thing, never, not for you or any man. We may not be as sophisticated as your precious homeland, but we still have some honor. You are not yet my husband!" she spat.

The speed with which he rose from the seat and moved to her startled her, and made her flinch as he moved close. She'd been near to him before, but he'd never seemed as imposing and dangerous as he did at this moment.

She steeled herself, foolishly, and repeated, "Never!"
 
Peter was take a back by her defiance, he took a second to process her words before he acted. His movements were swift, he came out of his chair and was on here in an instant. His hand wrapped around her hair and yanked her head back forcing her to look up at ceiling. His other hand went to her throat his fingers wrapping around them "You should have learned to hold your tongue by now" he said as he towered over her.

"I would have thought you knew that I was not a man to be tested" He said as he started to pull her over to the desk. His hand moved from her throat to her waist as he pulled and lifted her up and carried her over. He pushed the items off of the desk and dropped her down. He spun her so her back was to him and pushed her forward. He used his knee to pin her to the desk as he reached for a knife in his belt. "but I am happy to give you a reminder" he said as he moved the blade close to her back, he slid it under the laces of her dress and began to slice them apart, her dress coming open in the back as he moved up.

He stopped as he cut the last part of the dress leaving the back open. He put the knife back in its sheath and reached down and yanked, pulling the dress away from her back. With a hard yank he pulled the sides apart leaving her in her undergarments. He moved his hands to her hair as he pulled her head back "Now how much more do you have to say" he taunted her.
 
Wrenna twisted and fought him, growling and cursing at him as if possessed. She knew her cries echoed through the halls, but that none would dare come to her aide.

When his fingers curled into her plaited hair and forced her head back, she groaned. He had her pinned still to the desk, his weight and the angle at which he held her head caused her breath to grow ragged and thin. She glared at him with all the fury she had. A brief thought flickered through her mind to grab for his knife, but in a castle full of Peter's men and servants, she knew she would not last long in the aftermath.

His question echoed against the stone walls. She had a hundred things to say, and he knew it, but she could not give voice to any of them. She gave another token struggle, and his fist curled tighter and he leaned down further, making it nearly impossible for her to breathe.

She could not contain the whimper that escaped as a thin vein of fear pierced her anger.

The longer he held her, the more aware she became of her position, of her vanishing control. The thin snow-white fabric of her foundations were tangled around her, the neck pulled even lower in her struggles. She could feel the smooth wood of the desk top beneath her against her breast, the cool air of the evening against the backs of her legs.

She gasped for one more deep breath and closed her eyes. Her few remaining options raced through her mind. She could plead with him for her last shred of honor. She could remain silent and hope his anger faded.She could fight until the last and end a martyr...

She bit her tongue, and held her breath.
 
His fingertips wrapped around her hair as he slowly started to release his grip on her, he had made his point, she held her tongue not wanting to test just how far he would go with her right now. He bent his head low pressing his lips to her earlobe as he softly whispered into her hear "You will have to speak up I can't hear you" he said as moved closer to her.

He pressed himself into the backs of her legs as he forced her forward a little more. "You will learn in time that it will be much easier for you to comply with my wishes" he said as his free hand moved to her side, he softly caressed her bare flesh. His fingertips sliding back and forth across her skin slowly as he left them linger on her ribs. He smiled as he felt her body stiffen up as his hand moved up towards her exposed breasts. He had not seen them yet, and was very anxious to, but he wanted to draw this out more.

His hand stopped just under her breasts, he could feel the bottoms of them against his hand as he slid his hand around to the middle of her abdomen. He grinned as he started to slowly move his hand back down her body. He moved slowly across her stomach and stopped as he let his fingers trace around her belly button.

He moved his hand around her again to the small of her back, he pressed his hand into her forcing her to arch her back more. His lips pressed to her ear again "In time you may even come to enjoy my touch" he said as his hand moved down her back and to her ass, he slowly pressed his fingertips into her ass.

He raised his hand and brought it down with loud crack her her exposed ass cheek.
 
Back
Top