GM closing 5 plants

Vette has been asked a few times what he means by "government mandated car" and has yet to say so I gotta figure it's some kind of Vette conspiracy thing like the moon landing, Obamas birth certificate and Trump isn't crooked.
I wasn't really meaning right about the "government mandated" part, since I've never received a notice from any government that I was required to buy a car. Although I suppose the piss poor public transit in the US could be looked at as a government mandate to buy cars.

I was talking about him being right about prices going up, except for the fact that they aren't.

Don't worry.... cheetolini has eeeeeverything under control.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gm-layoffs-run-counter-past-trump-claims-company/story?id=59422414

On Monday, President Trump told reporters he’s relayed his displeasure with the news of the company's reorganization directly to CEO Mary Barra and warned that GM had better get a car into production that will sell.

“I was very tough. I spoke with her when I heard they were closing and I said, you know, this country has done a lot for General Motors. You better get back in there soon. That's Ohio. And you better get back in there soon. We have a lot of pressure on them,” Trump said, citing low sales of the Chevy Cruze as a problem for the company.

“Not happy about it. Their car is not selling well, so they'll put something else. I have no doubt that in a not-too-distant future, they'll put something else. They better put something else in,” Trump said.

Thank God he took care of all those poor rich people that couldn't afford cars..:rolleyes:

Every day, as I drive or walk around this area looking at the automobiles I am stunned, horrified and depressed by the fact that 98% of 'em are foreign— they're ALL Japanese or German or Korean nameplates.

Congratulations America ! You dumb fucks have either given away or destroyed your automobile industry.

I wasn't really meaning right about the "government mandated" part, since I've never received a notice from any government that I was required to buy a car. Although I suppose the piss poor public transit in the US could be looked at as a government mandate to buy cars.

I was talking about him being right about prices going up, except for the fact that they aren't.

Hey, let's give vette some credit here. Sure he may have been wrong about the prices or that they are somehow government mandated, but he did make a post about cars.

So one part was right. And THAT is progress for him.

Seems to me that GM guaranteed Obama that they would keep operating all plants for a minimum of 10 years if they got bailed out....that was 2009...guess what peepoles..its 2019:D:D

I also gt a kick out of the Union(s) promising to take all actions possible to keep the plants open. What are they going to do, strike? Maybe they can find a judge in the 9th district that will rule that GM keeps the plants open.

Why is it that Toyota and other foreign manufacturers can build cars in the US at a competitive price while the domestics can't? That seems to be the root of the problem and until that question is answered the trend will continue.

The plant in Oshawa that is closing builds Impala's and Cadilac STR's and it seems there is no longer a market for them. Everybody is buying pickups and SUV's.
Remember last year when Ford said it was not going to build sedans anymore and stick with trucks and SUV's....writing on the wall.

I also gt a kick out of the Union(s) promising to take all actions possible to keep the plants open. What are they going to do, strike? Maybe they can find a judge in the 9th district that will rule that GM keeps the plants open.

Why is it that Toyota and other foreign manufacturers can build cars in the US at a competitive price while the domestics can't? That seems to be the root of the problem and until that question is answered the trend will continue.

The problem isn't the building, it's the selling.

Domestics don't sell as well as imports because imports are perceived as being better, which on some levels they are.

Domestics don't sell as well as imports because imports are perceived as being better, which on some levels they are.

Perceived by who?

Its the type, not the quality.

Also, UBER and others are part of the situation.
People are packed into cities and don't need cars anymore. They are doing public transit and UBER and sales are down.

GM said it is moving towards self driving and electric.
Give them time to develop a plan.

And don't take a job at a car plant cause you know damned well its gonna close some day

That is indeed part of the problem but there is also profitability and that speaks to overhead. In the late 80's I was going through the GM BOC plant in Lansing. The plant manager told me that the fully burdened labor and materials cost for the new Buicks going out the door was some $4,600 (+/-) per unit depending on options. The sticker price on that car was in the $27,000 range. Every dollar over the $4,600 was overhead right down to the salesman's commission.

The perception that the foreign autos are of higher quality is not without merit. Quality starts with the engineering design and carries through to plant operations. Also in the late 80's GM could not ship an Oshawa built pickup to dealers that had trucks built at any other plant. The Oshawa paint jobs were far superior to the others. It turned out that Oshawa used a different spray pattern for their robots than the other plants. What was GM's solution to the problem? They ordered Oshawa to start using the same program as the other plants. Why? On average the Oshawa pattern used $3.00 more in paint. Now, saving $3.00/unit when your building 50,000 units a year is a big savings but the sacrifice was quality. How much is a reputation for quality worth?

That is indeed part of the problem but there is also profitability and that speaks to overhead. In the late 80's I was going through the GM BOC plant in Lansing. The plant manager told me that the fully burdened labor and materials cost for the new Buicks going out the door was some $4,600 (+/-) per unit depending on options. The sticker price on that car was in the $27,000 range. Every dollar over the $4,600 was overhead right down to the salesman's commission.

That makes no sense. Unless you consider profit, overhead.

Product costs $4,600 to make and you sell it for $27,000 - so you have $22,400 in overhead:confused:

Product costs $4,600 to make and you sell it for $27,000 - so you have $22,400 in overhead:confused:

This is why Ishtard and Ken's tomato seed business went belly-up.

That 22K was profit AND overhead. Untangling one from the other is the province of forensic accountants and that's not me...........or you. Further the sticker price does not reflect what GM sold that unit to the dealer for.

Except for the fact that the cost in real dollars for the average car is trending downward, you'd be right.

MSRP on the most popular vehicle in America the bare bones Ford F150 is right at $32,000, higher end models up to $64,000. If costs are coming downward it's because of reduced demand and resistance to high prices, as I pointed out. Fuel economy models like the government promoted Chevy Volt are on their way out. Fuel efficiency standards proposed by Obama and cancelled by Trump would have added another $3000 to the costs of new cars and trucks.

That 22K was profit AND overhead. Untangling one from the other is the province of forensic accountants and that's not me...........or you. Further the sticker price does not reflect what GM sold that unit to the dealer for.

I suppose you're correct; if you think a forensic accountant is the only one that can read a balance sheet.

MSRP on the most popular vehicle in America the bare bones Ford F150 is right at $32,000, higher end models up to $64,000. If costs are coming downward it's because of reduced demand and resistance to high prices, as I pointed out. Fuel economy models like the government promoted Chevy Volt are on their way out. Fuel efficiency standards proposed by Obama and cancelled by Trump would have added another $3000 to the costs of new cars and trucks.

How much you figure this adds?

Image result for general motors ceo salary
General Motors Chairman and CEO Mary Barra had total compensation in 2017 of $21.96 million. The figure represents a decline from her 2016 compensation of $22.58 million.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gm-layoffs-run-counter-past-trump-claims-company/story?id=59422414

On Monday, President Trump told reporters he’s relayed his displeasure with the news of the company's reorganization directly to CEO Mary Barra and warned that GM had better get a car into production that will sell.

“I was very tough. I spoke with her when I heard they were closing and I said, you know, this country has done a lot for General Motors. You better get back in there soon. That's Ohio. And you better get back in there soon. We have a lot of pressure on them,” Trump said, citing low sales of the Chevy Cruze as a problem for the company.

“Not happy about it. Their car is not selling well, so they'll put something else. I have no doubt that in a not-too-distant future, they'll put something else. They better put something else in,” Trump said.

Thank God he took care of all those poor rich people that couldn't afford cars..:rolleyes:

Why is he making demands without any specific threats to back them up?!

The plant in Oshawa that is closing builds Impala's and Cadilac STR's and it seems there is no longer a market for them. Everybody is buying pickups and SUV's.
Remember last year when Ford said it was not going to build sedans anymore and stick with trucks and SUV's....writing on the wall.

Yeah, when you're selling typewriters and the buyers are demanding laptops, it's not a marketing problem.

Why is he making demands without any specific threats to back them up?!

Because the people that are his base will applaud him for his "tough talk", "action", "truthfullness", "He's one of us!", "Obama", "Hilary!" blah blah blah

The popularity of the F-150 has more to do with penis envy than functionality, style or utility. Grow the fuck up.

The age of the privately owned vehicle is rapidly coming to an end for a bevy of factors and at least one auto manufacturer has already publicly acknowledged it.

Furthermore if cars need to cost 3k more fine, 10k more is even better because there are already too many people driving around and that will weed them out.

I suppose you're correct; if you think a forensic accountant is the only one that can read a balance sheet.

If you think the balance sheet made public reflects reality.

The 1988 GM financials are available on-line. Knock yourself out.

The popularity of the F-150 has more to do with penis envy than functionality, style or utility. Grow the fuck up.

The age of the privately owned vehicle is rapidly coming to an end for a bevy of factors and at least one auto manufacturer has already publicly acknowledged it.

Furthermore if cars need to cost 3k more fine, 10k more is even better because there are already too many people driving around and that will weed them out.

Hey...we like our F150's...and I actually haul stuff with mine.

Now, why do you think owning a personal vehicle should be a rich mans game.

Works fine in cities but for people that live in less inhabited areas we need a personal vehicle...I'm gonna need a real good solar charger by the looks of it

Trump has no clue and has given no help to car manufacturers.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/26/politics/tim-ryan-trump-gm-did-not-lift-one-finger-cnntv/index.html

REP. TIM RYAN (D), OHIO: Well, it's insulting to the almost 2,000 workers in our factory locally, and almost 15,000 workers in Michigan and Ohio, not to mention the four to five time spin-off so you're talking 50,000, 60,000 people, and the President says everything is fine, he's got the magic wand. It's insulting, Erin, and I tell you what, he did not lift one finger to -- Sherrod Brown called him, we sent the President's letter -- President letters to try to get him engaged in helping us figure out what the future of this facility is.

He was sworn into office. Weeks later, we lost the third shift at our plant. He got rid of the fuel efficiency standards. I warned him not to do that, it would hurt the small car industry. Two weeks later, we lost the second shift, and now the plant is idle.

…The side show that we have with the Trump administration is facing a reality check today in Detroit and Youngstown, Ohio.

The hard -- being a president is hard work. It takes a vision, it takes a plan, it takes getting the government to do public/private partnerships to work closely with business in order to grow the economy. It's not about sending out tweets. It's not about giving speeches at rallies.

It's about rolling up your sleeves and doing the hard work and the President has no industrial policy for the United States, he has no manufacturing policy for the United States, he's a one-trick pony where he said, if you cut taxes for the wealthy, that investment will trickle down the places like Lordstown, Ohio.

And you know what, we've been trying that 30 years. And the plant used to be 16,000 workers, now it's down to zero. The supply chain is wiped out. We've got to get away from this supply side economics, we've got to start reinvesting back into the workers and the white collar workers as well, and the President doesn't have a plan to do that.

Back