Metalheads & Writers

I think the Peppers/Pipers thing was a deliberate joke, they linked to this article about the confusion between the two. Deutsche vs. Duetsche, that's just sloppy.

And, yeah, I'm not a big fan of crowds, or mud, or most of the other stuff that comes with that kind of concert.

Oh well, ASP are crowdfunding a new DVD and it should make the base goal in the next couple of days, so I'm happy.

I’m not a fan of big crowds or mud either, but something inside me longs to have been born in a time when I could have experienced that aspect in relation to the Woodstock era in music and been a part of it. I may love “metal” in general, but my roots have always returned to the 60’s& 70’s era in Rock n Roll based entirely on the raw, unbridled approach to music with a message. Sadly, those days are long gone, soon to be lost within time and possibly forgotten. Still, I ask myself why I hold on to something I never was a part of at all. I may never have that answer other than the jealous fact my parents got the privilege of being part of it🌹Kant👠👠👠

Neither one of my ex wives would go for me blasting Obituary in the bedroom during sex. The closest I ever got was Sundown’s song “Star” and Led Zepplin’s “Stairway to Heaven” maybe Pink Floyd’s song “Run like Hell”.

Oh, I dug Celestial Season - Decameron out tonight and Withering Surface - Walking on phantom ice🌹
https://youtu.be/Wu9AGKQRoE0
💋Kant

One of my old high school buddies used to bang this one chick to old cannibal corpse "hammer crushed skulls)

Dropping in to see if anyone has heard anything new and interesting I can check out. 🌹Kant 👠👠👠

I'm getting here late, so you've maybe already given feedback or clues as to what you are into...
I wrestled a bear once
It dies today (caitiff choir)
Vision of Disorder
Norma Jean (considered Christian, but interesting musically)

I'm getting here late, so you've maybe already given feedback or clues as to what you are into...
I wrestled a bear once
It dies today (caitiff choir)
Vision of Disorder
Norma Jean (considered Christian, but interesting musically)

I listen to anything from Waylon Jennings to Pink Floyd to The Doors to AC/ DC to Motley Crue to Alice In Chains to Slayer to Samael to Tiamat to Thyrfing to Entwine to Cemetary to KMFDM to Obituary to Psyclon Nine and tons of other music, anything with a strong, heavy beat with a unique vocal style or relatable lyrics. 🌹Kant

anything with a strong, heavy beat with a unique vocal style or relatable lyrics. 🌹Kant

Try a couple of Big Band tunes, 'Sing, Sing, Sing' and 'Anvil Chorus' and imagine them being done by a hard rock, heavy metal band.

Okay, so I’m digging this thread outta the archives. I went and watched the movie “Bohemian Rhapsody” with my kids over their Christmas break. It’s not historically accurate, but I’m content.
Now, my daughter, she fell in love with Queen; my son (8), well, he likes something a bit heavier like me. So I found this for him to listen to:

https://youtu.be/ya5hb2F8gOM

I can’t stop listening to it either🌹Kant👠👠👠

Scaramoush, scaramoush, can you do the fandango

Adlibbed off the top of my head, maybe not accurate ....

I played various anonymous death-metal stuff when I worked. People did not dare interrupt me.

Yeah, I know. It’s more techno.

I'd say Prog, or orchestral.

I'm still amazed at the number of hard rock and prog rock writers and composers that were first classical trained. Rick Wakeman and Pete Townshend for two, Keith Emerson studied it for a bit, then went that way on his own. I can't tell if Freddie really had any formal training in that area.

I can't tell if Freddie really had any formal training in that area.
The Wikipedia entry sez he took piano lessons from age 7 but was primarily a graphic arts student. More than a few rock stars had graphic-arts training. BTW Mercury's family were Indian Parsis (Zoroastrians) who moved to Zanzibar where he was born but then fled back to India where he grew up.

I'd say Prog, or orchestral.

I'm still amazed at the number of hard rock and prog rock writers and composers that were first classical trained. Rick Wakeman and Pete Townshend for two, Keith Emerson studied it for a bit, then went that way on his own. I can't tell if Freddie really had any formal training in that area.

Queen was definitly experimental, but being experimental gets you noticed quicker than following a crowd or a trend. That doesn’t apply on Lit... hahaha🌹Kant💋

I played various anonymous death-metal stuff when I worked. People did not dare interrupt me.

Nothing says leave me alone or don’t bother me quite as effective as blasting Death Metal
🌹Kant👠👠👠

For me, it doesn't even come close to Freddie. It goes along with Sound of Silence by 'Disturbed', Fast Car by 'Jonas Blue' and lots of House-music that take good songs and give them a bad aftertaste. Those originals were too good, and the covers don't add anything that lift them up any further; they only make them suitable for a certain style.

THIS, on the other hand... In my (not so humble) opinion, this band really added something new to the song.

Freddie can’t be replaced in my eyes; however, I never felt the take on “We will rock you” by J2 left me with a bad after taste. I don’t expect a cover to mimic the original and prefer it doesn’t. I’ve only ran across a few covers that blow the originals away. But, then again, I’m partial to Waylon Jennings voice anyway.

Here’s another good example where a cover stands toe to toe with the original(but it’s not “metal”)

https://youtu.be/qF9dCWmq3pM

Hey Kantarii, (and all other friends of distorted entertainment who might read this)

first off, a Happy New Year.

You've told me you're a fan of such greats as Amorphis and Tiamat. If you haven't by now, you ought to check out Swallow The Sun. They started all the way back in 2000 as a great, but rather generic Death/Doom band. Their one major distinuishing feature was the massive amount of melancholy dripping from their songs. Not as life-threateningly bleak as My Dying Bride, but getting there. Over the years, they fine-tuned their style, adding folk, black metal and even some classic rock to their sound. The vocals ditched the growls for the most part and there are some wonderful, warm singing voices at play now. Their previous album, "Songs From The North" was a three-disc affair. One was a typical STS record, one was a pure goth-rock thing, more Nick Cave or Grave Pleasures than their usual style and the last piece of the puzzle was a massive, dark slab of Death/Doom. Utterly forlorn, super heavy and straight from the crypt. Took a lot of patience to get through on the sheer volume of songs, but it was a trip like few others.

Anyway, they're about to put out a new record, and again they play with their ingredients. A bit Amorphis, a bit of "Wildhoney" Tiamat, a bit of Katatonia. At least in this one song.

Swallow The Sun - Firelights
https://youtu.be/Wul2yeGo3Wk

Hey Kantarii, (and all other friends of distorted entertainment who might read this)

first off, a Happy New Year.

You've told me you're a fan of such greats as Amorphis and Tiamat. If you haven't by now, you ought to check out Swallow The Sun. They started all the way back in 2000 as a great, but rather generic Death/Doom band. Their one major distinuishing feature was the massive amount of melancholy dripping from their songs. Not as life-threateningly bleak as My Dying Bride, but getting there. Over the years, they fine-tuned their style, adding folk, black metal and even some classic rock to their sound. The vocals ditched the growls for the most part and there are some wonderful, warm singing voices at play now. Their previous album, "Songs From The North" was a three-disc affair. One was a typical STS record, one was a pure goth-rock thing, more Nick Cave or Grave Pleasures than their usual style and the last piece of the puzzle was a massive, dark slab of Death/Doom. Utterly forlorn, super heavy and straight from the crypt. Took a lot of patience to get through on the sheer volume of songs, but it was a trip like few others.

Anyway, they're about to put out a new record, and again they play with their ingredients. A bit Amorphis, a bit of "Wildhoney" Tiamat, a bit of Katatonia. At least in this one song.

Swallow The Sun - Firelights
https://youtu.be/Wul2yeGo3Wk

Long time, no see🌹Happy NEW YEAR to you as well. I’ll check the song out after I get off work.
Kant👠👠👠

Beside standard Death Metal is what I call Death Wood music. Wire-up a pile of firewood with piezoelectrics (like old record-player cartridges) and photocell-driven oscillators. Plug that into a loud sound system. Light the fire. Note the varying tones as flames flicker, and the death screams of the piezos embedded in charring lumber and branches.

Sit back and be inspired. It always worked for me.

I'm always here, but quiet most of the time.

And while I'm here, let me offer up another of my recent discoveries.

Rivers Of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name
https://youtu.be/LBAXZto7uVc

I have little tolerance for extreme tech metal, where songs mainly consist of jazzy scales, psychotic time signatures and hysterical screams. Most math metal, djent or Meshuggah, or Cannibal Corpse is too exhausting for me. As a former drummer, I can appreciate the technicalities, but it's just no fun for me to listen to those guys cum all over their instruments. That okay for a frame of reference?

There are a handful of tech bands I can stomach, like Nile, Veil Of Maya or Tesseract. A friend of mine suggested I try Rivers of Nihil.

Lo and behold, another utterly insane band. Aggressively technical one moment, soothingly spherical the next, but the mood swings come well-paced, without stressing me out. It's less a total cerebral workout than a trip guided by some pretty excentric tour guides. I have yet to hear the full album, but it's in the mail (alongside the new King Diamond live box - SO EXCITED!!!)

Swallow the sun is pretty good if they have me digging through my Cd collection looking for Tiamat🌹
I might have to surf the net tonight looking for more stuff by then😎

I'm not sure I would call this metal in the sense of what summy'all listen too, but I don't completely hate it:

Way Too Long by Bent Knee

I'm not sure I would call this metal in the sense of what summy'all listen too, but I don't completely hate it:

Way Too Long by Bent Knee

I’ll look them up on YouTube when I get home 🌹Kant

Back