Welsh language tips

NaokoSmith

Honourable Slut
Anyone on here speak Welsh? In a moment of madness I created two Welsh-speaking werewolf characters. I can do a bit of dialogue for them but would love it if anyone were willing to take a peek and let me know if I've made any major clangers. It's only a few lines and nice clean stuff. Just don't want the full force of Cymraeg rage on my head for making werewolves speak Welsh badly!
The things I ask for! :D
Diolch!
:rose::heart::rose:

:nana:
(Banana dawnsio! )

Anyone on here speak Welsh? In a moment of madness I created two Welsh-speaking werewolf characters. I can do a bit of dialogue for them but would love it if anyone were willing to take a peek and let me know if I've made any major clangers. It's only a few lines and nice clean stuff. Just don't want the full force of Cymraeg rage on my head for making werewolves speak Welsh badly!
The things I ask for! :D
Diolch!
:rose::heart::rose:

(Banana dawnsio! )

Thought of Latin ?
Google translate ?

Thought of Latin ?
Google translate ?

Well, Domus Anguli Puensis has already been written so I thought I would leave the Latin for now.
I did use Google and online translators! but I thought if someone can just make sure I've got it quite right, that would be great. I'm not holding out high hopes here ROFL. I can do it reasonably well and if I really wanted to, I could hassle one of my Welsh-speaking friends to whom I've admitted that I don't always write for obscure academic journals.
Off to put some lunch in the pippity-ping now!

xxx
(no daffodil so have to put a :rose:)

I cannot help you with translation, unfortunately, but I am very interested in reading the finished product when it is ready.

We used to have a Welch lady here in the AH but I have not seen her in ages.

Well, Domus Anguli Puensis has already been written so I thought I would leave the Latin for now.
I did use Google and online translators! but I thought if someone can just make sure I've got it quite right, that would be great. I'm not holding out high hopes here ROFL. I can do it reasonably well and if I really wanted to, I could hassle one of my Welsh-speaking friends to whom I've admitted that I don't always write for obscure academic journals.
Off to put some lunch in the pippity-ping now!

xxx
(no daffodil so have to put a :rose:)

Let me have the words in a PM. I have a friend in South Wales.

Let me have the words in a PM. I have a friend in South Wales.

LOL Handley, I am also your friend in South Wales!

I'll ask around my pals. I put a request up on my 'other' Facebook profile but nobody picked it up. Terrified about what I might be trying to say in Welsh probably! I never think what I do is that shocking but recently I asked my daughter's friend's mum for some advice, thinking that as a burlesque artist who teaches pole dancing she'd be :cool: and her jaw nearly broke in 3 places as it hit the floor! :D.

(BTW she is the MILF of all MILFs. She had her boobs done and claimed the money as a tax deductible expense! And they are definitely worth whatever she paid for them.)

VonRuden, thanks for the expression of interest! The first two chapters are in the system awaiting uploading. They'll be a bit slow because I put them up in document format but any day now hopefully.

TX :kiss:, especially for riding to my rescue on the fake Safe Sex thread. That was weird even for here! It was just like you to be so kind :heart:

(banana dawnsio!)

The Welsh are about as relevant as Pygmies yet not so tall. I've always thought that it was a cruel joke for Charles to be tagged as Prince of Wales.

If you still need this translating I might be able to help.

My girlfriend speaks Welsh so I can get her to look over it tonight if that would be any help?

The Welsh are about as relevant as Pygmies yet not so tall. I've always thought that it was a cruel joke for Charles to be tagged as Prince of Wales.

Well it was a cruel joke on the Welsh when Edward I promised them a prince of their own who wouldn't be English speaking and produced his baby son. Ever since, the first born son of the royal family has pranced about the country now and then to entertain us (although it seems obvious to me that the current incumbent of the title is actually an England rugby supporter).

Wales has the dubious distinction of being the first British colony and the national politics remain 'interestingly' postcolonial. :rolleyes:

If you still need this translating I might be able to help.

My girlfriend speaks Welsh so I can get her to look over it tonight if that would be any help?

Oh fab! These are the lines:

Max raised his blue eyes to her and gave a curious smile.
“Byddwch yn siarad Cymraeg,” he said. “Gallwch fod yn ffrindiau da gyda Bryony. Yn union fel fi a Col.”
(You speak Welsh. You can be good friends with Bryony. Like I am with Col.)
“Fuccio!” Red said fiercely.

Sorry about the fuccio! That's the only naughty word in there. (I think it's meaning is obvious.)

:heart:

Well it was a cruel joke on the Welsh when Edward I promised them a prince of their own who wouldn't be English speaking and produced his baby son. Ever since, the first born son of the royal family has pranced about the country now and then to entertain us (although it seems obvious to me that the current incumbent of the title is actually an England rugby supporter).

Wales has the dubious distinction of being the first British colony and the national politics remain 'interestingly' postcolonial. :rolleyes:

A local history site links one of my ancestors to 'Whales' tho his name and antecedents came from Rouen France. They refuse to change it. One of my ancestors may have been Welsh, he was Rhys Ap Hooe. Sounds like Thai cuisine. In America the Rhys became RICE, and thats how his spawn are known. There were like 5 with the same name.

A local history site links one of my ancestors to 'Whales' tho his name and antecedents came from Rouen France. They refuse to change it. One of my ancestors may have been Welsh, he was Rhys Ap Hooe. Sounds like Thai cuisine. In America the Rhys became RICE, and thats how his spawn are known. There were like 5 with the same name.

Rhys is still used here in Wales as a name. You probably know already if you've been researching this, 'ap' means 'son of'. So your forebear was Rhys, the son of Hooe.

:rose: (sorry, still no daffodils! Bastard colonial English rose only flower available! Really need thistles, shamrocks and daffodils on here :D.)

Rhys is still used here in Wales as a name. You probably know already if you've been researching this, 'ap' means 'son of'. So your forebear was Rhys, the son of Hooe.

:rose: (sorry, still no daffodils! Bastard colonial English rose only flower available! Really need thistles, shamrocks and daffodils on here :D.)

Ah! Then HOOE must translate as BITCH. Rhys son of bitch. But a related name, HOO, seems to be French.

When Og was very young in North Wales, my next door neighbour had his eightieth birthday.

As with all his family's birthdays, the assembled family would chant, in unison, his ancestral line. He was known as "Tommy Thrice" because his full name was Thomas Thomas Thomas (followed by Ap-Thomas etc...).

They usually chanted his ancestral line in Welsh, but for the benefit of us Saxons, they repeated it in English.

As far as I remember it went something like this:

Thomas, the son of Thomas the Milk, the son of Thomas who married Cerys from Caernavon, the son of Thomas who had a cart, the son of Thomas the cattle drover, and right back to an ancient ancestor who descended from Mount Snowdown after Noah's flood...

Last edited:
I have some answers for you...

Apparently it should be...

"Rydych chi yn siarad Cymraeg" as "Byddwch yn siarad Cymraeg," means "You will speak Welsh".

Also "Fwcio" is more appropriate than "Fuccio!"

I hope that helps you out.

If you have any other lines just let me know.

Thanks.

I have some answers for you...

Apparently it should be...

"Rydych chi yn siarad Cymraeg" as "Byddwch yn siarad Cymraeg," means "You will speak Welsh".

Also "Fwcio" is more appropriate than "Fuccio!"

I hope that helps you out.

If you have any other lines just let me know.

Thanks.

Thank you so much for that! Next time I'll PM you if that's OK.
:heart:

LOL Handley, I am also your friend in South Wales!

(BTW she is the MILF of all MILFs. She had her boobs done and claimed the money as a tax deductible expense! And they are definitely worth whatever she paid for them.)

Dear Dr Taff,
I'd completely forgotten you're in Wales. Damn silly of me

[You can have your 'nana, but I am keeping my Dragon !]

Dear Dr Taff,
I'd completely forgotten you're in Wales. Damn silly of me

[You can have your 'nana, but I am keeping my Dragon !]

I like dragons of course, living here among so many of them.

Just for your delectation, this is a clip about the snowy conditions in Wales, being promoted by Torfaen Council. It's for anyone who likes gritters and Elvis and is annoyed by people rushing out to buy bread and milk as soon as the first snowflake falls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6UerjFCLdI

:D

Rydw i gallu siarad Cymraeg yn rhygl, felly os wyt ti eisiau postio'r geiriau i mi trwy PM fyddai'n hapus i edrych arno nhw amdanoch chi.

So yeah, I speak Welsh fluently and I can have a quick look over anything is you send it tome via PM.

Rydw i gallu siarad Cymraeg yn rhygl, felly os wyt ti eisiau postio'r geiriau i mi trwy PM fyddai'n hapus i edrych arno nhw amdanoch chi.

So yeah, I speak Welsh fluently and I can have a quick look over anything is you send it tome via PM.

Oh fab! Thank you.

:rose:

Back