A Different Kind of Adventure - IC Thread

Danny heard all that Cara said, and nodded, sitting down and eating his food. He was starving! He shaved down the bread and fruit, and he especially loved the meat. In his new body, meat was like the greatest food in existence. He ate to nuts fill, all within five minutes, and sat down, bloated with food. He sat in the bed he had awoken in, and noticed a mace next to him. Picking it up, it felt comfortable in his hands, but he didn't have a clue how to use it. He turned his attention back to Cara when she began speaking, and heard the history of their purpose. He hied, knowing that this was probably against all of what he had been raised to believe, but he new he was one. He walked to Cara, and kneeled on one knee. "And I, oh Goddess Cara, am also a believer for you and your cause my the extra belief I I've you be helpful in obtaining your goal." he proclaimed.
 
That was clever, very clever. People more willingly followed a being - man, woman, or monster - who showed them mercy and care. Oh, they'd follow a terrifying being, but most would never be happy about it, and jump at the first chance to change sides to someone who wouldn't torture or kill them on a whim.

Anna swallowed another gulp of water, feeling her body take in the moisture eagerly. "That seems like a good plan. Where are we now - physically, as well as metaphysically? And what is our next move?"
 
Cara was happy to see that they were willing to fight alongside her. Once upon a time, she had given a man the chance at life and to help her, only to have him fight for the Overlord. A decision that always weighed heavily on her mind. She was more selective now.

"We are in Rattleborn, our safe haven, it lies to the far west of this country and is protected by the Etheri Forest. Currently we are protected by a large garrison of soldiers, and the city guard. We are a good weeks ride from the Capital, and several days ride from the nearest captured city or town. I have several patrols due back within the next few hours with reports of the enemies movements, and two detachments of my army currently in battle to the east. For now we are safe, but only three days ago we were under attack, their forces were decimated. But it shows how impulsive the Overlord has become."

The flap of the tent opened, and a messenger walked in, bowed and whispered into Cara's ear. Then, as quickly as he had arrived he left, casting a glance over each of the Champions as he went.

Standing up, Cara moved to the door of the tent and opened it up. Outside, five individuals stood, each dressed in armour of various kinds and looked well suited for battle. They were her trainers and battle masters, the best she had.

"Later, once your strength has returned, these talented teachers will instruct you in the art of combat and war. For some you will learn healing, and for many you will learn for the first time what it is like to use magic."

The men, and woman, outside bowed down at the sight of the Champions, even if they did look rather vulnerable sitting in bandages inside the tent.
 
Dane shifted, looking down at his weapons. He was eager to start, and only had slight bruising and swelling. He was able to move around just fine, but never could abide by being idle.

"My lady, may I start? I've never been able to abide being idle, no matter why. We don't have to learn the art of war while everyone else is recovering. It might be a good idea to teach me things that I know in my world, but need to update here, like different types of plants and game, or wild animals that are dangerous. I can wait until everyone is ready to begin fully training, but I do need something to do until then," he said slowly, after moving to where only Cara could hear. He bowed to her before taking a few steps back and waiting for her reply.
 
Sherman Nord

"Why wait?"

He got up and motioned at the others,

"They seem eager to go, why not just get started?"

He picked up the huge warhammer next to his own bedding,

"And of course get proper weapons, I am not a carpenter."
 
Dane shook his head then looked down at his weapons. He did need to get his blades worked on, after seeing the nicks along them. He also needed more arrows, and a stronger bow.

"I just realized something. What traits do we bring to our bodies? It seems like the bow I had when I "inherited" this body is too light in the pull. Do we bring some of our own talents from our world, or do we just bring our souls to fill the void in the body?" he asked
 
Heading outside into the sunlight, even if it was partially blocked by smoke and haze, Cara was happy to set her Champions on the path to learning their full abilities as soon as possible. Once everyone was gathered in front of the tent, she answered Dane's question.

"I've simply brought your soul and consciousness over. If it was just a soul, you probably wouldn't remember what had happened, or who you were before. Amnesia is a common side effect of times I have failed to fully bring over someone's past consciousness."

The first of the trainers stepped forward. He was a rugged man in his late thirties and looked as though he had lived a long life of hard work. His hands were calloused and he had a brown beard that went down past his collarbone.

"Brom, our blacksmith will see to all of your equipment, and if you require he will see to training you to keep them in good condition whilst you are away from Rattleborn."

A man of thinner build but of good muscle definition stepped forward, he wore leather armor and dark green and brown shirt and pants. His feet were housed in leather moccasins, and his calves wrapped up to his knees in linen strips.

"This is Gregor, he's a fine archer. Anyone who uses a bow, or requires tracking or hunting practice will spend the next week with him, training in the lower woods within the outer wall."

The next trainer was a woman, she wore plate armor and carried a shield and hammer. Her golden hair was currently untied, where as it usually sat on her back in a long braid.

"Isolda, is a paladin, she will help you, Anna with learning to use the shield as a weapon, and to show you your true abilities on a battlefield. She is a horse master as well, and will introduce you to your mount. You will also work with Brenwyn."

Another woman stepped forward, she was smaller, and her long pitch black hair went all the way down her back, settling on her hips. She wore similar robes to Cara, and had many holy symbols as well.

"Brenwyn is my best healer, and will soon take over treating the sick and wounded when we depart in a fortnight. She will teach everyone basic healing, but for those who are magically gifted in healing, you will learn in depth how to save your fellow Champions when they get hurt."

The last man was probably ugly looking to most humans, and the Orc found it funny to see the looks on peoples faces when he first spoke. Unlike most Orc's, he had been rescued from a tribal war when he was just a child.

"Gargoth, will teach you to fight with sword, axe, hammer, mace, spear, whatever you desire to use. He has a quick temper, but is a good teacher."

With that, she asked that each of the new Champions chose who they wished to work with first.
 
Danny heard Cara introduce all of the trainers, and huffed, releasing some small flames from his snout. Who was to teach me how to breath fire well? he thought. He waited until Cara got to him, and replied with both an answer and a question. "Oh Goddess, I have two things to say. First, who will help me with my fire breathing? And second, I think I should best be with Brom first, I appear to be mainly a weapons type here, and I don't know the first thing about preserving weapons." he answered her. He hoped shebha an answer for his question, he didn't want to be constantly blowing flames every time he exhaled.
 
Sherman Nord

"While Brom is available I will talk with him first, one does need better weaponry."

He placed the hammer over his shoulder, unaware of the fact that it was a pose his predesessor often took.

"An axe and a sword, should work just perfect, but since I have no idea how to use said weapons in battle I will definately go with Gargoth so that he can drill the use of them into this thick skull of mine."
 
Dane smiled and walked to Gregor. He knew this would be the best area to start, since it was one of his most natural areas. He loved to bow hunt as a young boy, and had quickly gotten good with a longbow. He was competent in his swordsmanship due to the fencing his grandparents made him attend, and his outdoor skills were second to none thanks to his father, as were his weapons upkeeping abilities. He hoped he wasn't magically inclined as he walked over to Gregor, smiling as he pulled a bow from a rack and tested it.

"Lets get down to business," he said as he followed Gregor to the practice area.
 
((Okay, we'll do a quick little time warp for training purposes.))

Cara approached Danny and placed her hand on his shoulder, always aware of the possibility of him blowing flames again. Unfortunately there were no people around who could train him to manage that, but it was something his body would learn quickly. She suspected within a week that he would have manged to control it, and even find how to wield its power.

"Patience, you will soon have control over it, and without need for someone else to teach you."

Clapping her hands once for everyone's attention, she announced that training would start.

"We'll begin training immediately then, afterwards you'll join everyone in the Great Hall for dinner, before getting shown your rooms. They are your homes, feel free to do with them as you wish. Investigate the merchants, and look around the city, I'll make sure you each have someone available as a guide and helper."

Soon, she would head off with Lila to begin her medical training, and to also teach her about her goddess, and the belief system surrounding the good and evil types of drow.

----

Time skip
- you will all have trained for two weeks, in this time, thanks to your bodies 'memory' you have learned what would have taken you six months. Each of you has risen in skill where you can hold your own against your trainers. Holding the bow, or sword, or axe etc is second nature, you walk in plate or leather as if you were born in it, and for Danny, you can breathe fire at will, and have control over it.

If you have checked out the town, people now recognize you, and not the past inhabitors of the bodies, and refer to you by name. It seems the people love you.

----


With the sun high in the sky, and clouds nowhere to be seen, it is the most beautiful day that Rattleborn has seen in some time. Even the snow has stopped falling, and the trees are beginning to green up again. The strength you each give to the people, and to the goddess really seems to have brought on a feeling for lightness and happiness. However, you can also see that on the horizon, it is still dark with smoke and dread.

Sitting along the large dinner table within the Great Hall, you have been called together, this is the first time that the Goddess has shown her face again in several days. Her hair has turned silver, with a crystal like sparkle to it, and her face although youthful before looks vibrant. She seems happy to be sitting with you all, and the plates of food are brought out.
 
Last edited:
Sherman Nord

In his time in the city he had spent a bit too much time with the survivors of his body's people. He drummed his tankard on the table, basically something reserved for the lords, kings and of course gods.

"Hail our goddess Cara! I stand ready to serve you...but first I want to finish this wild boar."

He laughed and grabbed a tankard which stood empty, he filled it with the flask the servitors usually poured for Cara and then placed it down at her place at the table, he took his seat, carving up the roasted meat and eating with the abandon of a man who does not know if he will ever have another meal. The only thing that changed about him was that he wore a light leather armor, covered with a bear's skin that he had killed himself and of course had eaten. His mind have been trained to wield axe, broadsword, shortsword and dagger with brute force and skill. Even the orc, Gargoth, was at times hard pressed to keep his hide intact, what saved him was experience and Sherman felt that he needed a proper fight to hone his mind to be the perfect warmachine. There had been reports of raiding parties and he was chafing at the bits to get at them like a proper linebacker should take out the opposition.
 
Dane shook his head at his companion's antics. It was second nature now, seeing Sherman waist deep in meat. The big man did need it to keep going though. He was one of the most active of the party.

Dane quietly slipped outside, wandering through the forest surrounding the town, getting away from the noise. He had become rather friendly with the animals, as well as the rangers in the army, and was frequently spotted outside of the camp. He was comfortable if someone attacked, but never strayed too far.

After finding somewhere to sit down, he started to meditate, watching the stars change slowly in the night sky. He liked his companions, but nature and shadows was where he was most at home. Maybe it was from the life he had lived as Dane, or maybe the instinctual nature of his body from the underdark, but he didn't like being in buildings. He settled back against the tree, letting his senses attune to his surroundings.
 
Danny saw Sherman eat the entire boar, and he grinned. So far, Sherman and he had been the biggest eaters. But he wasn't hungry tonight. As part of his training, Gargoth had made him fight with wild animals, and the ones he killed he could eat. He had killed a lion just before, and his stomach was full. He, like Sherman, had been trained to fight. His body didn't have much else skills, and he wanted to perfect his already present skills before moving on. Now that he could control his fire, he could breath at will, which was a pleasure. Before, no one wanted to be within a foot of him for fear of being burned. But now, that had changed. He slowly stood up, bowed to Cara, and slaked out of the hall, just like Dane had just done. He went to Brom's workshop, gabbed a mace sharpener, and sharpened his mace. H knew it didn't need this, but it had developed as a habit for Danny.
 
((Off to battle we go!))

After the feast, everyone retired to their evening duties, and as far as everyone was concerned they would sleep until morning. However, unbeknown to Rattleborn yet, a nearby city was under siege. A raven, delivering a message asking for aid, arrived not long after midnight.

Cara was sleeping in her chambers, her strength had been slowly growing for days now as people watched the Champions gain more skills and shadow their former hosts, but she was still weaker than she let on. Only a few people saw her like this, and they were devoutly silent on the topic when asked about her health. Walking around the city, one would hardly recognize that she still suffered mortal wounds, they were not cuts or broken bones, but fatigue.

The sound of bells ringing before the sun had even rising would wake all those in the garrison. It was alerting everyone to prepare for battle. The Champions would soon find their helpers preparing gear and horses, and helping them don their armor.

Soon, in the torchlight of the courtyard, three hundred soldiers stood ready, mounted on strong horses. Cara sat atop her white mare, she wore light chainmail armor with her cloth robes underneath. Her horse pawed at the ground picking up on her unease, and she waiting for her Champions to mount up and join her.

"Soldiers of Rattleborn, you have served me well these past years, and I am proud to give you my blessings and protection. This morning, we ride for Riverdale. I know many of you have families there, or friends stationed in their battlements. It is with sadness that I announce that the Dark Lord has the city under siege. Only hours ago a carrier bird brought word that their armies had engaged the foul filth on their doorstep, holding them back for the time being.

But the enemies numbers grow by the day, and I intent to arrive with reinforcements. We go up against overwhelming numbers, but for every one of us, we will slay tenfold of them. For we have true spirit, and are blessed on this day.

Follow me into battle, and your land will remember you as heroes!"


With that, she turned her horse towards the gates and trotted on.

Riverdale was two days ride away, and indicated that the enemy was becoming more brazen. Perhaps he had seen the influence of the Champions on the environment around Rattleborn, and deemed that attacking with haste was the only course of action.

"My Champions, remain by my side, I will be in need of your protection, as much as you will be in need of my guidance."
 
(Sorry guys ive been away but back now! hope you all don't mind.)

Elise sat down on the ground and looked up at the canopy above her. It had been a good six months since they had all been here but for some reason she had been lead away from the others for training.
Sighing she lay back closing her eyes. The training was hard. she chuckled as she felt the now familiar wet nose snuggling into her, "Boka!" she rubbed his head affectionately.

Elise had woken up earlier then the others, she remembered gazing down at their new sleeping bodies. It didn't kick in that they had changed till she had noticed her own body and the tattoo which now stretched down her left arm.

Cara had been kind she briefly remembered the woman from when they crashed but her head had been thundering, her muscles wincing in pain she didnt register it all.

Closing her eyes she stopped herself, what did her mentor tell her, "Need to let go of the past." she smiled once more when Boka made himself a home next to her, she was glad she had someone close to her even though he wasn't human he made the training easier.

It was then that she heard the ringing sitting up she looked through the forest, she could tell this was it! the small little electric shock ran through her veins, "Boka seems Cara wants us back."

She smiled rubbing his head before running back to the camp...hopefully the others were ok and had adapted more quickly, she thought as she raced Boka.
 
Sherman Nord

He was ready as he could be, all training has ended for now, now it was match time, the real thing. He hefted his war axe and a detachment of barbarian elite followed suit, the battle cry came from 300 throats:

"For Cara! For freedom! OOOOOORAH!!!"

Sherman grinned, he was rather proud of being able to have gotten that into their brains, the made up a fast, aggressive and very destructive force, they carried almost any kind of weapon, as long as it could kill and deliver destructive impact with about 350 pounds of force behind it, they wielded it. He slammed a fist on his chest and then turned his horse to fall in beside Cara.

"We are as ready as we can be."

He watched the goddess and something just felt a bit wrong, but he believed in her as much as he believed in the steel he carried to deliver death to anybody who opposed his goddess.
 
Running through the dense forest Elise couldnt help but smile as Boka over took her once more, it had become a normal game between the two of them.
Cutting a corner she grasped her spear tighter the feeling of its weight a now familiar sensation as was having Boka next to her.
Running she could hear the camp up ahead, looking to either side of her she smiled when she saw the old tree sticking out, 'There Boka.' she whispered before following the big panther as he jumped up the branches.
Creeping along she tied the spear to her back and crouched down as they both peered over the camp, Cara seemed to have pulled together a lot of men.
Squinting a little Elise smiled when she saw the outline of the others, they had grown strong and confident she could tell.
Settling down she turned to an impatient Boka, "Calm, we will be able to join them soon." patting his head she turned and watched the proceedings on the ground.
 
Danny heard the ringing as the camp gathered together, and put away the mace sharpener, and put his mace in his sling. He walked through the crowd, and saw Cara was in the center, giving an announcement. Danny heard Sherman cheer for Cara, and got the crowd going. He walked up to the goddess, and stood by her side, not joining in on the cheering. He was not as joyous as the others. Tis would be his first battle, and he was not eager to kill anything, regardless of if they deserved it. And he didn't want to witness any death. But he knew he would have to suck it up. This was what he had agreed to.
 
Dane was already moving about outside of the camp. He could hear the cheers echoing through the forest. He shook his head, then went back to tracking the latest war party he had found. He knew that Sherman and Danny would be fine, and he liked working alone for the most part. He also left enough clues for them to know where he was, as well as small pieces of information to let the other champions know what they would be facing before they ran into trouble.

He figured it was better for them to be prepared than anything else at this time, since all of them still had yet to be in an actual battle.
 
The procession left the castle at a decent paced walk. Cara looked upon Sherman and smiled, he had done well with his Barbarian Elites, the remnants of a tribe almost wiped out by the Dark Lords minions. Now they had a banner and leader, and a cause to fight for, she knew they would prove valuable on the field of battle. This would be just another battle for her, having fought hundreds in the past to various degrees. But she felt better, calmer to know that her Champions were slowly coming to her.

She had given them a lot of thinking space over the past two weeks, wanting them to make their own minds up. But time was something that was running out.

Somewhere off in the forests she suspected Elise would be watching them. Nobody within miles would be able to ignore the roar of the Barbarian Elites. Especially someone who was keenly in tune with the forest and all of its natural sounds.

Looking down at Danny, who was too large to ride any sort of horse, he kept up pace well. Behind them a large group of cavalry, and along each side walked a column of soldiers on foot.

"You are worried, Danny, I can tell. Do you want to speak about the upcoming battle?" she leaned down and gave him a quick tap on the shoulder. His armor solid and well protecting.

She hoped that Dave had done as she had asked, and scouted out up ahead. He was excellent at staying hidden, and proved to be a great scout and soldier.
 
As the crowd began moving, Cara along with it, Danny kept up with it. He was a bit upset at first that he couldn't have his own horse, but then he realized he didn't need one. He was still amazed at ho fit his body was. It wasn't as strong as Sherman's, that was sure, but it was still greater than an average mans. His strength was above average, but not so much his speed, or his stealth. He turned this over in his mind, but then he noticed the Goddess was speaking to him. He didn't hear too much of it, just "I can tell" and "the upcoming battle". He realized what she was talking about, and he nodded. "You are right, I am a bit worried. It's just,I never thought I would ever kill some one, evil or no. Back on Earth, I was very regions. I was raised to believe that killing was wrong, except in war. But even in war, I still feel that killing is wrong. I just am confused. And besides, this will be my first time witnessing death, besides the car accident. It is gonna be tough." he told her, still keeping up with the crowd. It felt good to let it off his chest, but he felt that Cara would consider him weak or faint hearted, and he didn't want that.
 
Patting Boka on the head once more, Elise smiled herself as she picked her friends out from the others. Sherman was standing he definitely was one of the largest warriors there, looking over the rest her eyes were drawn to Cara and Danny, it must have been Danny.

Sitting comfortably, her leg dangling carelessly from the branch in which she sat upon, Elise stiffened as the sudden feeling hit her, it was dread, pure dread.
Standing up, Boka immediately grunting. shushing him she looked around, gazing up she noticed the swaying of the leaves, something was here.

Jumping down she looked to Cara and the others, whistling she hoped at least Cara would pick it up. Taking one last look Elise began to run with Boka by her side. Noticing the nature around her shuddering she continued on with speed.
 
Sherman Nord

A faint whistle caught his attention, he saw movement in the trees and knew that it was where the whistle came from. Would they really attack so close to Cara's home?

"Prepare!"

It was all warning needed, his warriors went alert instantly, anything attacking now would meet threehundred and one ready barbarians. He stayed in the saddle since it did give him even more height to his already huge frame, the horse of course had to be huge to carry him in the first place and that gave him even more height. The march kept going, but all around shields were shifted into position, swords, maces and axes loosened, arrows fitted to bow strings and spears clutched a bit tighter.
 
Back
Top