Help me understand older English

Be gentle, it's my first time (voice recording). I got a friend to do a reading too, so you can choose whichever you like better :)

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0D2bLrzrHwk
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1s88UyIqAk2

Both quite lovely. Thank you so much for giving in to our hounding. :rose:

The liminal space we all wish to inhabit is that beach, or cliff, between sea and land and air, where desire and love slip into one another's skin.

This extract sings of that magical place we may as well call Paradise.

All these wonderful accents, and then there is my 'flat even for a yank' lack-cent. Thank you gentlemen. *sigh*
 
Whatever happened to those kewl old Win31-era Swedish Text-to-Speech voices? For surreality, injest DMT and enjoy-stuffer a reading of HOWL. Loud. With cats.
 
Saucy. Your voice is not even close to what i imagined it would be.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I sound a lot sweeter than I actually am.

You sound exactly how I thought you would. You swearing may be one of my favorite things. :rose:
 
And where the hell is Ogg on an old English thread?

The following is from Francis Bacon's "Of Truth":

What is truth; said jesting Pilate; and would not stay for an answer. Certainly there be, that delight in giddiness; and count it a bondage, to fix a belief; affecting free-will in thinking, as well as in acting.

Perhaps the writer used the older version of grammar and punctuation marks? It makes my understanding very difficult because there are so many parts that are missing. I now try to translate it into modern English that I use so that you can see my understanding is right or not.

"Mr. Pilate, half-jokingly asked, "what is truth?", which seemed to be no answer available. But yes, there is an answer, when you are drunk and do not know what you are talking about. And to make others believe you, you need to remember what you have said. But that (the lie or the thing you say) will have some influence on your free thinking and acting."

P.S. I think the title of the essay should be "On Truth" rather than "Of Truth".

Where was Og? On holiday without internet access except via restricted sites.

What is truth; said jesting Pilate; and would not stay for an answer.

Bacon assumes that the readers know the King James version of the Bible intimately. The reference to Pilate is to the Roman judge before whom Jesus was brought. Pilate found that Jesus had committed no legal offence but the crowd refused to accept that verdict threatening a riot. Pilate turned Jesus over to the Jewish authorities despite knowing that Jesus was innocent. So:

What is truth? in Pilate's words mean that truth is what the mob say it is. The crucificion of Jesus was a political expedient.

Certainly there be, that delight in giddiness; There are people that are light minded and economical with the truth...

and count it a bondage, to fix a belief; and consider it a restraint to be certain about a fact - i.e. fake news is better than the truth.

affecting free-will in thinking, as well as in acting. preferring to think for themselves, to ignore facts that they don't like, and to act as if their version of the truth is better than the reality...

For his time, Bacon expressed himself very clearly and concisely. However he assumed that his readers would be well educated and familiar with not just the Bible but also the Latin and Greek classics. His writing has allusions that a classically trained scholar or priest would instantly recognise even from an obscure reference. It is that knowledge that modern readers can find difficult when reading Bacon.

Even modern writers can assume their readers know more than they do. An American author could make references to events during the Civil War, or to prohibition for example, that non-US readers might not know. The same is true of authors writing in any country. What an educated person is expected to know varies by country, by generation, and by educational trends.

As a high school student I was expected to know, or at least be aware of, English literature and literary criticism from Chaucer to the 1950s; the Latin and Greek classics in translations; French and German classics such as Moliere and Goethe; and basics of logic and rhetoric. Modern high school students would have a different set of expectations.
 
Ogg,

I imagine the Lustrous One would have enthusiastically rubbed a couple out to your post, had you said all that via voice-a-roo.


Perhaps consider an edit. If not for yourself, think of your fellow posters.


PS - you’d probably get her toes curling at every ‘Bacon’, ‘cause bacon. ;)
 
I think i would just let you read the pose outloud as i go down on you...


That almost sounds as hawt and lazy as hamfisting it while Siri recites my iPhone Contacts list.


Uuuunnnnnnnghhhaaaaa!
 
The offer wasnt for you. But you can make an offer too


The Magnanimous Offer

I think i would just let you read the pose outloud as i go down on you...

Em and his Siri, the offer wasnt for you. But you can make an offer too

As for my offer... why throw an Ace, when I think a deuce’ll do.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top