Marijuana Majority: Americans Now Back Legalization

marijuana-leaf-shutterstock-80x80.jpg

Mexico issues first permit to grow and use marijuana

Mexican health authorities issued Friday the first permit allowing four individuals to grow and use their own marijuana for recreational purposes, following a landmark Supreme Court ruling.

While the permit opens a crack in Mexico’s prohibitionist policies, the government health watchdog Cofepris stressed that the authorization is limited to those four people only.

The group, part of the Mexican Society for Responsible and Tolerant Personal Use (SMART), is pushing for full legalization of marijuana, arguing that it will help reduce the country’s relentless drug violence.

Their legal victory has set a potential precedent for others to seek similar permits while forcing President Enrique Pena Nieto and Congress to debate whether to change the country’s marijuana laws.

For now, Cofepris underlined in a statement that under the current laws marijuana “is still an illegal substance” and its cultivation and sale remain forbidden.

:confused:
 
JackLuis, I heard about this on the new last night. It is a tiny step forward and I guess that is better than no step at all. Thanks for posting the info, as always.
 
There is an app for weed!

Found this today. An app to direct you to your friendly weed merchant.

Now gone are the days when you had to search thru seedy bars to find a dealer.

Weed Maps is like the Google Earth for hemp!

It probably works better in Washington, Colorado and progressive states.

Or Weedy is another.

Some dealers deliver! Sure beats Amazon.
 
Merry Christmas to all, who celebrate it. And a Happy Holidays to those that don't. Let's hope next year is a better year for Lady Mary Jane.
 
US legalization driving Mexican farmers out of the marijuana business

Small-scale Mexican marijuana farmers say the loosening of marijuana laws across the U.S. has increased competition from growers north of the border and could put them out of business. The Mexicans used to get $100 per kilogram for their illegal crops, but that price has crashed to $30 per kilogram in the last four years, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday.

"I've always liked this business, producing marijuana," one 50-year-old farmer from the northwestern state of Sinaloa told the LA Times. This season’s crop will be his last, he said.

The price declines have prompted a notable decline in marijuana production in Mexico, along with a drop in illegal trafficking to the U.S., according to officials on both sides. Just six years ago, Mexico provided two-thirds of the marijuana consumed annually in the U.S., according to the Rand Corp. think tank’s drug policy research center.
 
JackLuis, that is what the farmers, who live in Mexico, are going through. The cartels, on the other side, have moved their operations into State and Private forests, using illegal water sources and tons of non-organic fertilizers. The police helicopters root out a lot of it, but plenty survives to harvest and is then sold inside the States.
 
California cities and counties race to pass marijuana-growing bans

When the California Legislature passed the state's first comprehensive medical marijuana regulations in September, pot advocates hoped the move heralded a new era of trust in their often-tumultuous relationship with wary local officials and police.

So far, it hasn't turned out that way.

Facing what appears to be a rapidly closing window for action, dozens of cities and counties from across California are racing to enact new bans on marijuana-growing. Some apply only to commercial cultivation, both indoor and outdoor, but many would also prohibit personal pot gardens that have been legal — or at least overlooked — for 19 years.

"Any other industry that created four months of seasonal labor and hundreds of thousands of jobs ... we would be giving tax breaks to those businesses," said Robert Jacob, a medical marijuana dispensary owner and member of the Sebastopol City Council who has been fighting pot-growing bans proposed in Sonoma County.

At issue is a paragraph in the 70-page framework approved in the closing hours of the legislative session that would give the state alone authority to license growers in jurisdictions that do not have laws on the books by March 1 specifically authorizing or outlawing cultivation.

Watch out Governor Moonbeam may just open the gates of Hades or Heaven? What's a local authoritarian to do! :eek:
 
Back
Top