My Kingdom for an Accessible Euphemism

Wow.

It’s been an eye-opener, reading through this thread. My general response is that I post on Lit so that I don’t have to use euphemisms. To me, euphemisms for genitals belong in harlequin romances, and whenever I come across them in a Lit story, it immediately loses my interest unless they’re used ironically.

When I think about sex for real, I never use terms like “flower” or “his sex.” So, since I write in first-person, i just go ahead and use the words I use in my head when describing such things. I alternate among cunt, pussy, vag, vagina, slash, slit, hole, penis, dick, and cock, with uses of things like head, shaft, lips, labia, etc when I’m referring to those particular parts.

I don’t proofread much, but I do generally check to ensure I’m not overusing any one of those.

The eye-opener about this thread has been my realization that so many posters here worry about euphemism so much.

Wow.

It’s been an eye-opener, reading through this thread. My general response is that I post on Lit so that I don’t have to use euphemisms. To me, euphemisms for genitals belong in harlequin romances, and whenever I come across them in a Lit story, it immediately loses my interest unless they’re used ironically.

When I think about sex for real, I never use terms like “flower” or “his sex.” So, since I write in first-person, i just go ahead and use the words I use in my head when describing such things. I alternate among cunt, pussy, vag, vagina, slash, slit, hole, penis, dick, and cock, with uses of things like head, shaft, lips, labia, etc when I’m referring to those particular parts.

I don’t proofread much, but I do generally check to ensure I’m not overusing any one of those.

The eye-opener about this thread has been my realization that so many posters here worry about euphemism so much.

The thing is, most of those *are* euphemisms.

I once used the term 'feminine center' and thought it worked in that context.

I can understand that. I wouldn't use it too often though. I think it's difficult to find a good euphemism some times. They can quickly destroy a carefully built ambience very quickly when used inappropriately. Funny thing is so often they're not needed. It isn't like the cheap romance novels, it is a lot more than that, building sensuality, ambience, anticipation, detail, emotion, ... what really good writers do for me.

For some reason, readers don't seem to be too fond of calling a cock a sausage. :D

Sounds like you have avatar display switched off in your user settings. (User CP -> Edit Options -> Show Avatars)

Do I upload an avatar in the same way? I know I haven't posted enough to do so yet but it seems strange that I don't even *see* the option.

Do I upload an avatar in the same way? I know I haven't posted enough to do so yet but it seems strange that I don't even *see* the option.
The option will appear automagically when you've posted enough, not before. C'mon, get into some stupid er I mean fun games here. Misquote others. Add to word chains. Play telephone. You'll quickly meet your quota. Then we'll see the real you, hey?

Back