Two writers writing a story ?

Jasmine27

Virgin
Hey there ! So basically, I wanted to know how does it work for two authors collaborating to write one story. How are both authors credited ? Will it have to be published by one and then the other is simply mentioned ?

Thanks for the help !

My coauthor, Sabb, and I have a separate account here for our coauthored works, Shabbu. The author profile for the account notes the two authors included.

JasonClearwater and I did it by running the whole story under my name, and a shorter intro section under his name, with a link to the whole story. Similarly, the whole story had a link back to Jason's story list. We coordinated our submissions so Laurel could see what we were doing, and put in the cross links.

That way we both tapped into our own fan bases and each got the cross-traffic (we usually write in quite different categories). It worked OK.

We asked Laurel if there was a way the one story could be accessed through both names, but other than the solution we arrived at, the answer was no. We thought about Pilot's approach, but neither of us have anything like Pilot's volume here, and a joint name would have simply disappeared.

Thanks for the reply. I might consider this. But what about the Chain stories category ? How does it work ?

I think the separate, combined account is an option when that account is going to have some volume of stories itself. Sabb and I have 18 entries so far in that account.

I'm curious, for those who've done this, what you got out of it. I haven't tried it, but I would think it would be hard for two authors to reconcile their different ideas for a story, not to mention stylistic differences.

When I think of two authors writing a story I think of chain or tandem stories, and that always brings to mind this Internet classic (not an erotic story): http://www.nhne.com/storiesquotes/0010.html

With Sabb and me, it was our stylistic similarities that brought us together. Sabb was the reason I came to Literotica--he asked me to. We would probably write more together except where we diverge is that I write quickly and he's so busy that he doesn't. I'm best in sticking with one work to the end before going to the next, but he delays the return of his pieces and I've gone off on something else and then have to get back into the mood of our combined effort. But we seem to have the same instincts on where to take a story. We do not heavily outline before writing. Our method is to bandy about setting and general plot and then each take a character in a relationship and go back and forth on chapters, each time giving that character's take on what just happened and then advancing the plot a bit farther. In the end, though, I do the polishing and reconciling. He does the publishing.

What we've gotten out of it is quite a bit of satisfaction and good reviews in the marketplace. The review of the latest one posted to Literotica, although several years old and published in a couple of versions is posted to the "New Stories" forum of the "Story Feedback" board (Shabbu's "Velvet Interrogation"--the cover used for the last couple of weeks as my avatar, although that changes tonight with the posting of a new work on Lit.). We are particularly happy when a reviewer doesn't seem to realize that it's a collaboration rather than by one author. Then we know we've melded well--because we can tell the difference. I write more sex than Sabb does.

Last edited:
With Sabb and me, it was our stylistic similarities that brought us together. Sabb was the reason I came to Literotica--he asked me to. We would probably write more together except where we diverge is that I write quickly and he's so busy that he doesn't. I'm best in sticking with one work to the end before going to the next, but he delays the return of his pieces and I've gone off on something else and then have to get back into the mood of our combined effort. But we seem to have the same instincts on where to take a story. We do not heavily outline before writing. Our method is to bandy about setting and general plot and then each take a character in a relationship and go back and forth on chapters, each time giving that character's take on what just happened and then advancing the plot a bit farther. In the end, though, I do the polishing and reconciling. He does the publishing.

What we've gotten out of it is quite a bit of satisfaction and good reviews in the marketplace. The review of the latest one posted to Literotica, although several years old and published in a couple of versions is posted to the "New Stories" forum of the "Story Feedback" board (Shabbu's "Velvet Interrogation"--the cover used for the last couple of weeks as my avatar, although that changes tonight with the posting of a new work on Lit.). We are particularly happy when a reviewer doesn't seem to realize that it's a collaboration rather than by one author. Then we know we've melded well--because we can tell the difference. I write more sex than Sabb does.

Interesting. Thanks for that reply.

I'm curious, for those who've done this, what you got out of it. I haven't tried it, but I would think it would be hard for two authors to reconcile their different ideas for a story, not to mention stylistic differences.

Jason and I did it mainly because someone else said, "you two bounce off each other so well, why don't you..."

So we did - no pre-determined plot, we just threw two established characters together, and wrote turn and turn about. We each took off from what the other wrote, and the story took shape as we went along (no handover notes, no guidance - read the previous section, write the next).

In terms of stylistic difference, I guess the best testament we received was from the someone who suggested we do it, who said, "if I didn't know your characters so well, I couldn't tell who wrote what" - we each became sympatico with the other.

What we got out of it?- A significant stretch for both of us as writers, as we were both in unfamiliar territory in terms of our usual content; and the sheer fascination of writing "off" someone else.

https://www.literotica.com/s/the-floating-world-pt-04-1

We started a second collaboration, which has just gone up - it's a lot closer to home for both of us in terms of autobiographical elements, and Jason found he couldn't keep writing:

https://www.literotica.com/s/english-summer-tales-pt-01

When Athalia and I, who edit for each other, started writing erotica, there were a few stories where we collaborated in the sense that she and I would re-write parts of each other's stories. She could write female characters better than I could, and she once asked me to add a chapter in one of her stories that dealt primarily with a male character. (None of these stories appeared on Lit.) But we agreed not to ask for co-credit or acknowledgement. We haven't contributed significantly to each other's stories for many years now, so the topic is moot.

When I think of two authors writing a story I think of chain or tandem stories, and that always brings to mind this Internet classic (not an erotic story): http://www.nhne.com/storiesquotes/0010.html

Here's my take on it. It is difficult to write with someone unless you are truly alongside them or speaking on the phone and writing while conversing.

However, if a story has two main characters, you could easily have each author primarily responsible for the voice of one character. Stylistic differences wouldn't be as big a concern since the characters themselves have different personalities.

Then, both authors also act as editors for the other's work. This helps to tie together the two styles.

I have not co-authored on Lit (I have co-written plays elsewhere), but another Lit author and I have edited each other's work, and we both like the outcome of the stories with each other's feedback and suggestions. ;)

When most of our coauthored pieces were written, Sabb and I were almost exactly on the other side of the world from each other--he on the East Coast of Australia and me on the East Coast of the United States. He's since moved to Europe.

In addition, even as a professional editor, I didn't want to work with the author face-to-face. So much is lost in spoken interaction on publishing issues that is pinned down in e-mails, where what was actually conveyed is there and preserved for all to see. So much tertiary garbage intrudes as well. It may take a bit longer to come together by e-mail than face-to-face contact, but it will be a more solid together.

I wrote a mainstream-published book (which became a Writer's Digest Web site) on publishing a dozen years ago with a woman on the other side of the United States from me. We've never met face-to-face and it worked out just fine.

When most of our coauthored pieces were written, Sabb and I were almost exactly on the other side of the world from each other--he on the East Coast of Australia and me on the East Coast of the United States. He's since moved to Europe.

In addition, even as a professional editor, I didn't want to work with the author face-to-face. So much is lost in spoken interaction on publishing issues that is pinned down in e-mails, where what was actually conveyed is there and preserved for all to see. So much tertiary garbage intrudes as well. It may take a bit longer to come together by e-mail than face-to-face contact, but it will be a more solid together.

I wrote a mainstream-published book (which became a Writer's Digest Web site) on publishing a dozen years ago with a woman on the other side of the United States from me. We've never met face-to-face and it worked out just fine.

I see your point. I know all too well, from working on other projects, how much time can be wasted when you are sitting right with someone. lol I didn't have that in mind when I responded.

So, for my own curiosity, when you have worked with a co-author, do you each write sections and then piece it together? Nt having the experience working with a co-author, I am having trouble imagining how it works. Like, if you write a section, do you then send it to your co-author for their feedback and suggestions, and then change some things? And then do they write some and send it to you for the same? (not being smart-assed at all. I am genuinely curious how the process has worked for you. :D)

I see your point. I know all too well, from working on other projects, how much time can be wasted when you are sitting right with someone. lol I didn't have that in mind when I responded.

So, for my own curiosity, when you have worked with a co-author, do you each write sections and then piece it together? Nt having the experience working with a co-author, I am having trouble imagining how it works. Like, if you write a section, do you then send it to your co-author for their feedback and suggestions, and then change some things? And then do they write some and send it to you for the same? (not being smart-assed at all. I am genuinely curious how the process has worked for you. :D)

When I was cowriting the book on publishing, we took charge of separate discussions, made an outline on the order of discussion, and then worked on our separate discussions. I reviewed it for continuity. We are both editors, so we each did an edit of the whole thing--and then the publisher had an editor for it too.

For the erotica I write with Sabb, we alternate writing chapters, using the method you recommended earlier--each taking a character (or two) and passing it back and forth over the Internet as it builds. Then I review the whole thing and take care of consistency, coherence, and tying up all the threads. We don't do a lot of discussion analyzing the plot or what each other has written. We were close to the same perspectives before we did any cowriting. He's a publisher. He'd read my stuff and pitched me to publish for me.

Even in coauthoring, it can't be entirely equal. One of the authors must be recognized as having the authority to polish it.

Out of curiosity, has anyone co-authored where one person provided the plot and the other person wrote the story? I'd be interested in trying that, but have no idea of how well it would work and if other authors would be interested in doing such a thing.

If you read our first collaboration - links in Post 9 above - you'd probably spot the author changes pretty clearly (they are separated by *** in the text, and the style segues are smooth but obvious, I think).

We did exactly as you say above - and found that we would also make minor tweaks to our own character's actions and words to be consistent with the character's back story (established earlier in non-collaborative stories). No discussion, we'd just make the change, maybe highlight it, maybe not. After a while, it became quite selfless as writers, as if the characters themselves were making themselves heard through both of us.

We've never met face-to-face, never spoken on the phone, any 'discussion' was by way of the words edited and the newly written section. The handover email was, "here ya go." We each took the action where we wanted it to go, and the other responded to it. Because of that, elements of role-play possibly crept in - the Adam and Jesse story surprised us both, I think, because it is very intimate, and probably very revealing. What is character, what is author? Dr Freud might have some thoughts on that. You might have to be brave and fearless to collaborate on erotica, if you don't know where your partner will take you. As a hetero male, me writing GM with a bi collaborator was, ummm... interesting ;).

Indeed, on the second piece (English Summer Tales), Jason found he couldn't continue, his Lucy character and her circumstances became too close for him, and he had to stop.

As another writer, it might be an interesting exercise for you to read that one, and see if you can identify who wrote which section, and where I took over the writing completely.

When Athalia and I, who edit for each other, started writing erotica, there were a few stories where we collaborated in the sense that she and I would re-write parts of each other's stories. She could write female characters better than I could, and she once asked me to add a chapter in one of her stories that dealt primarily with a male character. (None of these stories appeared on Lit.) But we agreed not to ask for co-credit or acknowledgement. We haven't contributed significantly to each other's stories for many years now, so the topic is moot.

I wondered why my ears were burning ...

Jehoram is being modest. H we-wrote a LOT of my dialogue at first, until I got it into my skull to let the characters talk instead of doing their talking for them. And I do remember some story of his where I added a chapter because it was the only one in the series that was told from a female POV. But I don't remember when he added a chapter to one of mine. It could have happened, though.

Thanks for the reply. I might consider this. But what about the Chain stories category ? How does it work ?

Chain Stories are usually written to compete in the survivor contest.

In the now distant past the Authors' Hangout collaborated on at least two chain stories.

The first one was The Literotica Olympics. The coordinator accepted offers to day a particular sport and assigned a Day to it. There was an Opening Ceremony and a Closing Ceremony as chapters. Most of the parts used the names of then Authors' Hangout regulars as competitors - including me. I wrote a very different idea for Rowing:

https://www.literotica.com/s/the-literotica-olympics-day-17

The second one was The Worst Chain Story Ever. The intention was to parody all the bad writing that can be seen on Literotica and elsewhere. I volunteered to write the first part. The result deterred some potential writers from adding their part.

https://www.literotica.com/s/the-worst-chain-story-ever-ch-01

The starting idea of The Worst was like most chain stories. You start with some characters, write an episode and leave the ending or continuation to the next author who does the same until some pre-decided person has to write a sensible conclusion. Of course, being The Worst, that wasn't going to happen. The Worst starts, hiccups its way through a number of chapters with some never written and some deleted, and never really ends.

Last edited:
Back