Writing as the opposite sex

As for the first part, I think women are more likely to check out other women in a competitive way than stare at themselves in the mirror. I don't. But I WILL notice hot women I'm in some certain situations with and think Damn what does she have? Her body is nicer, etc. I do that rather than staring at myself naked and wonder how I measure up to supermodels

As for the rest of this ramble, perhaps I'm misunderstanding but the wtf? Wha?

You're saying lesbians are better are scoping out bars and working a scene and knowing how to get what they want than gay men or hetero men?

"...they far outclass men for knowing how to get it, and where to get it, and what all the subtle signs are by as far as you can throw a stone backed by a howling gale. Gay males are clumsy oafs pretty much just like hetero males mostly are too."

First of all, are we talking about a lesbian bar, a lesbian situation? Then yeah, a lesbian is going to be better at it than gay or hetero men. Wow, stop the presses.

Are lesbians better at picking up women than straight men at picking up straight women? Who knows. Apples and oranges.

Are you saying gay men are clumsy with picking EACH OTHER up in bars? More clumsy than women picking each other up?

I don't think so, I think in general gay men are more into the "just sex" and cruising aspect than lesbians in bar situations. They pretty much excel at it traditionally.

Gay men don't pick up women, they pick up each other.

It sounds to me like bitter personal resentment. You making a generalization based upon personal feelings of inadequacy.

Lesbians "getting laid a lot." I think that's your own resentment that you're not. That to me is a pretty male way of thinking about sex that I'm not convinced most female-identified (as opposed to male identified) lesbians share, at least not the ones I know. Sounds like you went to a bar and felt like a stupid dolt and have made generalizations based on that.



This is what I why think too... Although I agree with Bramblethorn about his other points re overuse of some things, the bit about women not standing in the mirror admiring their breasts, hmn, well, okay not ADMIRING, but definitely looking at and definitely thinking about comparisons.

I guess the takeway from this to the OP ought to be along the lines of, 'don't have the female character appear to look at, and think about her own body the way a guy would ogle it!' And even then, I'm not sure they wouldn't SOMETIMES... They might sometimes.

But okay that now makes sense.

As far as my own generalization goes, I did mean about the technical aspects of sex acts, not the psychology behind various sexual or gender mindsets.

As far as the psychology goes, I stand by what I said, namely that in my own experience these things seem reliably the case. Could there be the odd few exceptions? Possibly.

Do I simply know what stands out as opposed to what IS out there and relatively hidden?

That is a gratuitous and slightly tendentious comment in the event the person making the comment doesn't know a whole lot about 'me...' Here's an example: a long-time girlfriend of mine goes to a club, just to hang out for a few hours and drink some French 75 cocktails. I'll be in there too but I'll be an hour later getting there. In the meantime she has been sitting in one place, and you can't even tell she's scanned the whole joint. She has had one, at most two drinks. When I turn up, after another thirty minutes she walks over to this woman who is in a group, and the two of them just plain walk out together and I go back home after about another hour knowing what I'll find there when I get back there. So I buy a couple of large pizzas on the way and make sure I've got some chocolate for me because I'll barely be getting a look at the pizzas.

Next morning I quietly ask when the new kid on the block is in the shower, trying not to show I'm too dumb, 'okay what the fuck happened - how did you pick up so quickly and how did you know she would and how come so quickly?'

And she just tosses off the answer 'aw you know; you're an expert at this.'

And I grunt. But inside I'm going 'no I'm fucking not too!!'

And THEN she says: 'and hands off - she's purely interested in women only.'

There's some cold pizza left, not much but a few pieces anyway.

I mull over this and it takes me years - has taken me YEARS to get it. Now I get it.

Are there any dumb lesbians out there? Could be. Just not any that are getting laid a lot though. So of those that ARE getting laid a lot, they far outclass men for knowing how to get it, and where to get it, and what all the subtle signs are by as far as you can throw a stone backed by a howling gale. Gay males are clumsy oafs pretty much just like hetero males mostly are too.

Which basically also means, at least it does for me, that the well-experienced in practice, lesbians, know more and are better in action than those that are only lesbians in their minds or in their desires, mostly unfulfilled.

And so the OP wants to know from THESE sorts, the experienced ones, what stuff goes on... (I mean 'ought to want to know,' of course).
 
I've known a few writers who write well in the other sex successfully in my humble opinion.

I think that I'm generally successful at it, but I cheat. I have a female editor, and she calls me out on stuff that doesn't ring true for her. It has helped me a lot. I do the same for her writing, but she doesn't seem to need it as much. I think women have spent a lot more time analyzing men and getting inside their heads than vice versa.
 
Lesbian porn is mostly made for men and the actresses are all bisexual. I've heard it said that real lesbians find lesbian porn unrealistic. Especially tribbing.

So you could worry about realism, or you can just go for whatever makes for a cock-stroking good time. Overthinking it is usually the worst thing you can do.
 
Resentful and too far gone.

Ah now I know why I don't get Bruce Jenner!

I'm resentful and too far gone.

It's remarkable to me that people read into stuff whatever seems to be going on in their own minds.

Actually, what I was saying was that I admire the women I know who are quite astute at picking up other women. Should I be resentful of them or of this? I don't see why I should... Beats me how people get this notion from what I said.

I think the last really clever homosexual male I have observed - if at some distance of time and space - was Noel Coward. After him, the great nothing.

Apart from Pilot, to whom I give some credit for actually being able to write.

Does some of his stuff turn me on, yep. Sorry about that.

I don't expect him to be less disputatious any time soon though. It would remove key elements of interest from his character.

Lesbians and bisexual women are wa-a-a-y smarter than most males I know. This, of course, is a sentiment also shared by Plato and Socrates when Plato makes his famous comments about Sappho, and so I am indeed far gone from the drippy shallowness of today's 'deep philosophical thinkers.' The end.
 
I think that I'm generally successful at it, but I cheat. I have a female editor, and she calls me out on stuff that doesn't ring true for her. It has helped me a lot.

Always glad to help, dear!

I do the same for her writing, but she doesn't seem to need it as much. I think women have spent a lot more time analyzing men and getting inside their heads than vice versa.

I believe you've commented on that before. I sort of agree, in the sense that women need to do this as a "survival skill" more than men do. I suppose that's true of any class of people who have less power than another class ... slaves knew their masters better than masters knew their slaves, low-level office workers spend more time trying to figure out what their bosses want than the other way around. Whether it's something that women are naturally better at than men are, I couldn't say.
 
Back
Top