THE AFFAIRS OF KAITAIN: A Role-Play of Dune

While not officially summoned Joab still made some effort with his attire, and selected an outfit more into with his new Molyvian masters. He selected garments that would be worn by a member of the warrior class of her planet. Fine attire by working class standards, but would hardly go noticed in court. He never wanted people to think anything more of him then he was a common soldier. That was the key though. Deception in all things.


He leisurely made his way through the offices wondering what changes he'd need to implement, as well as a change in his quarters. When he looked on lady Josephine he gave polite greetings to a woman of her stature and complemented her attire. One had to wonder what she looked like when an all the titles and layers of formalities were stripped away.
 
Planning Stage



Joab appeared at the door of what Josephine had already come to consider her office. She could have a larger one, but appreciated the comfortable size and relative obscurity of this one within this busy wing of the embassy. The Vice-Chamberlain who used it until now could move to a bigger office.

“Good morning, General,” she greeted her warmaster with the ancient title, reminding him he served a Great House with deep traditions. “Have you seen Pathir? I would like to review our plans for the morning before we go to Court.”


 
He nodded politely with heir of respect even if he didn't go through all the courtly ritual. She was a good woman and honored to be in her service. He shook his head and replied back, "I haven't seen him as of yet, but believe he will arrive shortly. I know he has a variety of things to discuss with you about affairs of state. We're just in the beginning. We have yet to make war on your house's enemies."
 
Pathir enters the Countess' off ice mere moments after Joab.

"My apologies for not being here before you, Countess." he says with a bow, "I hope you have not waited long."

He turns to Joab, "Good morning, Warmaster."

"I have here three long-wave radio transmitters. Keep one for yourself. The others are for group leaders of any troops you wish to covertly operate here in Corrinth."

He unfolds a map of the city on the Countess' desk and indicates a city intersection.

"Within 100 standard metres of this point, you can receive or transmit to and from a shigawire recorder equipped radio. It will operate as a 'dead letter' box for contacting covert operatives."

Pathir actually indicates a spot 75 metres from the spice traders home and reduces the range to 100 metres. Operational security does not require even the Warmaster to know the true location of the radio transmitter/receiver.

"Transmissions are encoded and compressed to be sent in micro-bursts of transmission. Without access to the central receiver/transmitter interception of transmissions should be almost impossible. I would suggest you arrange contact schedules with any operatives you wish to use. For operational security, neither the Countess or myself need know the schedule."

"By tomorrow I should have safe houses arranged and storage facilities to secrete men and equipment."

Pathir decides that the two thugs under his control are now a liability as outside the three in the room, they know the locations of the safe houses and storage units. He had hoped to get more use out of them, they are not unskilled in criminal activities. But operational security requires their expedient demise. He does not inform the Countess or Joab of his decision. A small detail he need not trouble them with. There are lots more like them here on Kaitain. Discreet and dispensible.

"Countess," he says turning to her, "Might I suggest your vice-chamberlain be sent ahead to inform the Imperial Court bureaucracy of your imminent arrival there." "It would not be fitting for you to be seen coolong your heels for too long awaiting an appointment."

"I suspect the Emperor will have an open spot on his busy schedule considering the turmoil and importance of the head of a House Major being assassinated in an undeclared attack."
 
Knowing What You Don’t Know



“Might I suggest your vice-chamberlain be sent ahead to inform the Imperial Court bureaucracy of your imminent arrival there,” Pathir suggested. “It would not be fitting for you to be seen cooling your heels for too long awaiting an appointment. I suspect the Emperor will have an open spot on his busy schedule considering the turmoil and importance of the head of a House Major being assassinated in an undeclared attack.”

“Good point,” Josephine replied. This advice reminded her of her dangerous inexperience in ways of the Court and its practical statecraft. She pressed a button on her desk and gave the suggested orders to the Vice-Chamberlain. Then she looked up at her two advisors. “What we really need now is information... political and military intelligence. Until we know who’s behind this plot against my House, we remain grievously vulnerable in trying to defend it.”

 
Scheherazade's narrowed eyes and tight smile betrayed her suspicious perplexity as she studied the enigmatic expression on Harmon's face.

"I'm afraid I'm not following you entirely," she admitted. "Is there something you want from me such that I might later 'call in' a 'favor' or some 'recompense'?"
 
Harmon studied her for several seconds before answering. "I was hoping that you could find out for me just how these men treated their concubines. It is one thing to show all and sundry a public face, but everyone knows that once one is behind closed doors, often the true personality comes out."

Smiling he spread his hands. "of course everyone has the little foibles and that is not what I am after, nor do I want any state or family secrets. All I wish to know is will my friends Daughter by safe with the man he chooses. I do believe you know the information I am looking for Princess," he said bowing low.
 
"Are you suggesting these men have had... um... intimate encounters with my father's concubines?" Scheherazade asked in evident surprise. "Such would be high treason, leading to the woman's death and at least disgrace for the man, and perhaps some fate far more serious if he lacked sufficient status in the Landsraad. I'm not sure where you hear your rumors, but you had best check your sources."

Her eyes narrowed, then widened in shock. Her whisper emerged as a low hiss. "Indeed, don't you realize even spreading such tales is treason?!"

 
Harmon's own eye's widened in shock as he heard her words.

"My dear Princess, do you think I would spread rumors about our Emperors own concubines." He held his hands up in shock and shook them in denial. "That is the furthest thing from the truth. There are other concubines housed here are there not? Other nobles have rented rooms here, and indeed the concubines themselves who have been, how shall I say this politely, been relegated to secondary status, have rooms here," he began with a small blush. "These are the women whom I am talking about, the ones who are allowed to have small dalliances with their supporters permission, and the ones who are attached to other nobles."

He studied her wondering if she was trying to test him, but he did not back down. One did not in the game or you could soon find yourself waking up dead. "I only want to give you a couple of names and have it confirmed that these men are indeed trustworthy Princess. If you are unable to help me, then I will just have to get the information another way. I had thought this the must discreet way of course but other means will be found. I thought with your standing and obvious regal bearing, that you would be one of the ladies all the others looked up to and tried to emulate," he began using flattery to begin to soften her up. "Obviously they would come to you if any problems arose, and of course a woman such as yourself would obviously never leave herself open to not knowing what was going on," he said hinting that she might have her own network of spies. Sighing he shook his head and looked disappointed. "However I see I might have overestimated one as young as you."

Standing up he bowed low to her and turned to leave. "I thank you for seeing me any way Princess but as you seem unable to help me, I will bid you farewell."
 
Last edited:
Back
Top