What is crossing your mind right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Media are licensed to cover whatever will get their rating ups. Until people collectively come together and STOP WATCHING it will never stop.

I have personally experienced this type of invasive coverage at the hands of local newpapers who plastered pictures of my mother's body pinned underneath the car that killed her.

Front page.

With a cloth thrown over her head.
Headline : PROMINENT PHYSICIAN'S WIFE KILLED IN WRECK

I was six years old. So "shock" media is not a new thing..

Many of these morons (media) don't have a clue about what they are doing, how they are doing it, and how it will affect someone who sees it. They do not care that a child may see it or that some children who do see it do not have the loving guidance of a caring adult to sit down and try to explain it. All they see is the raw coverage of violence, and they are left with those images.

WIth regards specifically to the coverage of yesterday's events, although I am deeply saddened, I am no longer shocked at human depravity. That these victims were CHILDREN, and the media puts it out there for shock value, really hits a new low. As long as there are people who are willing to watch. They will continue to cover.

What you say is absolutely right.
However, media coverage is still needed - it's news after all - and legal and legitimate.
What we don't need - and you say this - is the sensationalist way in which it is covered.
By the media instead striving to cover news responsibly and with some level of respect for the victims and their families, we SHOULD be reminded of the level of human depravity that is occurring apparently regularly. I'll stop short of consideration of these incidents as 'moral panics', which unfortunately the media seem to incite among the general population.
We should never allow ourselves to be complacent.
We also need to understand that it is often less the individual's problem but society's.

this . . . .

tumblr_mf1z5r9cms1qb85cqo1_500.jpg

That I need to finish my cleaning so I can head to the airport...but I don't want to! :)

However, media coverage is still needed - it's news after all - and legal and legitimate.
What we don't need - and you say this - is the sensationalist way in which it is covered.
By the media instead striving to cover news responsibly and with some level of respect for the victims and their families, we SHOULD be reminded of the level of human depravity that is occurring apparently regularly. I'll stop short of consideration of these incidents as 'moral panics', which unfortunately the media seem to incite among the general population.
We also need to understand that it is often less the individual's problem but society's.

I'm not saying media coverage isn't needed :), I'm merely stating, and I believe you concur, that a level of sensitivity is in order with regards to certain events.
I'll go on to emphasize that the media in and of themselves are not all "evil shock mongers", but I do believe journalism seeks out sensationalism and puts an unnecessary spotlight on the soliloquy of the deranged. If we, as a nation, as a society, ever have a hope of changing, we must open the curtain on all the good that happens, and give it a standing ovation. I think more good exists in this world than we allow ourselves to see.

Sometimes men as so pigheaded.

Me: it's placed to high

Hubby: it's not

Me : it's too high

Hubby: I know what I'm doing its not to high

10 min later:

Hubby: damn thing is too high

I have so many cookies to bake and I have not even started. I need to plan.

What I'm feeling after readng the name of kids and teachers who were murdered yesterday.

How am I going to get out of going on a small trip that I've already agreed to....think...think....

I'm not saying media coverage isn't needed :), I'm merely stating, and I believe you concur, that a level of sensitivity is in order with regards to certain events.
I'll go on to emphasize that the media in and of themselves are not all "evil shock mongers", but I do believe journalism seeks out sensationalism and puts an unnecessary spotlight on the soliloquy of the deranged. If we, as a nation, as a society, ever have a hope of changing, we must open the curtain on all the good that happens, and give it a standing ovation. I think more good exists in this world than we allow ourselves to see.

You both may find this interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back