New Poetry Recommendations

July 8, 2008

There are seven new poems posted today. I read em all and I have to say nary a one caught my interest such that I'd want to recommend it. Feel free to read and disagree with me and post your findings here. :)

Not that you get off scott free today. Oh noooo! This is a perfect opportunity to read the poetry of our own vampiredust. He just won the Most Influential Poet award here at Lit and with good reason. If you spend some time on his submissions page, you'll see what a good choice he is for that award. And don't miss his poems at Kenyon Review Online: both are excellent.

There. Go forth and be poetic.

:rose:
 
Wednesday's Review

.
.


Looks like 14 New Poems up today, but only one really caught my eye.


Willow Rain offers up a Feast for your dining pleasure today. It seems more like an erotic dessert (despite the misspelling as desert). Give it a taste.


That's about it for today. You may wish to sample the other fare and see if any appeals to your palate. Go ahead and read, vote, comment ~ it's the least you can do. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

.
.
 
Thursday

I'm only home briefly and will have to let the poem reviews wait until later. But before I go, I did have a chance to read one poem: Caned by Jamison
I just love it! I know that's a lame review but go read it, comment here if you'd like, and we'll talk more about it later. :)
 
Good morning. this Friday, July 10th brings just 3 new poems. Denise Noe shares a poem with good content, but I couldn't write glowingly about it for one simple reason. Go read it and see if you agree.

I'll second Eve's recommendation to read Jamison's poem from yesterday. Suddenly, I know why discipline can be so appealing.

Have a good weekend.
 
Not many poems this Sunday.

One that saves the day: Mesopotamia by Victoria_Lucas is sensual in unexpected ways. Check it out.
 
Wednesday's Review

.
.


Here we go with today's single pick out of the eleven New Poems up so far.


Victoria_Lucas leads the way with The Mephitic City of Anon. After reading this I went to Dictionary.com and found that mephitic just happens to be the word of the day today:

mephitic \muh-FIT-ik\, adjective:
1. Offensive to the smell; as, mephitic odors.
2. Poisonous; noxious.

and for further enlightenment:

Mephitic is the adjective form of mephitis, "a foul-smelling or noxious exhalation from the earth; a stench from any source," from the Latin.

You can now guess from the title where this poem's going. Anonymous inspires again.

That's it for me today. Go on ahead and read, vote, comment ~ it's the least you can do. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

.
.
 
Thursday

It's Thursday. Read the
editors.gif
poem and call it a day. ;)
Swatches by sassynyc
 
Friday: 23 New Poems

This one's for champs :rose:


Poor champs missed out today, I'm sorry, she really did. I was happy to find I had several poems waiting for me and the best out of the lot by far were normal jean's. I'm lucky that I got one of her frog poems, Vacancy Upon the Hill. I've always loved the poem-vignettes. The internal conversation between the poet the frog world has been fascinating. I have one little pick, and that's the word "newbie" Picasso Frog; I think the slang doesn't quite fit here. I like no rain underwater. The image in this one, good title by the way, NJ. I thought it was rich, the words and texture, and mental shadow and light play, the ending made me feel unexpectedly sad. Last two submissions I'd like to mention by NJ are Tectonic Logic and ode to a squirrel's passing. Eve's comments on 'squirrel's' are what I think too on this one, which is my favorite of those that NJ posted today. This poem has something important to say and it isn't pounding a reader's nose into the message. Nicely said and a profound way to deliver it.

That's my favorites today. Check out the New Poems page to find yours and mention them here.
 
This one's for champs :rose:


Poor champs missed out today, I'm sorry, she really did. I was happy to find I had several poems waiting for me and the best out of the lot by far were normal jean's. I'm lucky that I got one of her frog poems, Vacancy Upon the Hill. I've always loved the poem-vignettes. The internal conversation between the poet the frog world has been fascinating. I have one little pick, and that's the word "newbie" Picasso Frog; I think the slang doesn't quite fit here. I like no rain underwater. The image in this one, good title by the way, NJ. I thought it was rich, the words and texture, and mental shadow and light play, the ending made me feel unexpectedly sad. Last two submissions I'd like to mention by NJ are Tectonic Logic and ode to a squirrel's passing. Eve's comments on 'squirrel's' are what I think too on this one, which is my favorite of those that NJ posted today. This poem has something important to say and it isn't pounding a reader's nose into the message. Nicely said and a profound way to deliver it.

That's my favorites today. Check out the New Poems page to find yours and mention them here.
I didn't like the newbie word either but I like the line that follows it:
Picasso Frog was a newbie
barely out of his tadpole suit

I love tadpole suit. And I love NJ and glad she gave us some good reading for today!
 
26 new poems today. 20 of those by two authors.

Nothing really took my breath away, but one made me smile.

Although of varied quality, and many of them more flash fiction than poetry, ramonathompson's alphabet game of erotica character portraits is at least a neat accomplishment. (Not to mention a good place to browse for ideas if you're stuck in your smut-writing :) ) Of today's batch of names, Uma is pretty cool.
 
Monday

My suggested reading for the day is Vagrancy by Victoria_Lucas
Very good piece of erotica!
 
Last edited:
26 new poems today. 20 of those by two authors.

Nothing really took my breath away, but one made me smile.

Although of varied quality, and many of them more flash fiction than poetry, ramonathompson's alphabet game of erotica character portraits is at least a neat accomplishment. (Not to mention a good place to browse for ideas if you're stuck in your smut-writing :) ) Of today's batch of names, Uma is pretty cool.


*smile*

Thanks for reading. Glad you liked them.
 
July 22, 2008

There are 18 new poems posted today.

godesq is a new member (or name) who has begun posting poems very recently. He (I think "he") has two poems up today, one of which--Long Distance Lover--I found very interesting (and also very short).

lapis lazuli by the poetic ElmerGlew is full of interesting images that linger and trail away, from one to the next, and manages to create an unlikely tension about desire that is both predatory and passive. There's also a middle-aged moon. Don't miss this one.

Jamison has Daylight Envy, a poem that guides the reader through lovely, precise images of that period in latish afternoon when the Sun is at its strongest. And it leaves us with a particularly riveting image of that same Sun, reduced and coveting our human ability to enjoy sunny afternoons. Sometimes when I think of the many poets I've read here, I think no one has learned so well as Mr. J, who just gets better and better and better.

And take the time to read Flippant David's Coriander Key, a sensory feast of a poem that evokes tropical heat and spices and notes that curious condition that we all possess on warm, beachy vacations: conchification. Great word, great poem.

That's it for me. I've only mentioned my favorites, so if I've missed a poem you really like please recommend it here in this thread. And don't forget to vote (where applicable) and, most important, comment!

:rose:
 
Wednesday's Review

.
.


Wednesday already?! I've been so immersed in life of late, the time's just flown. Thankfully it's a light load today, only seven New Poems, so it won't tax my fried mind any more than it already is.


KOLKORE has a couple poems up today, but the one that caught my eye is An Uneasy Armistice. It's warm and a bit humid here today, so it seems that I could easily connect to this poem — and it is so tempting to just go stand out in the rain on these kind of days.


LadynStFreknBed has the only other poem up today to catch my eye in Shower Heat. Nicely sensuous, rhyming, and wet. Maybe I want someone to join me in the shower and gently scrub my back. I like being easily distracted.

That's it for today. Maybe tomorrow I'll get back on the Archive Review thread. But for today, there's not so many that you can't give 'em all a quick read, vote, comment ~ it's the least you can do. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

Have fun today and don't be good.

.
.
 
Haberdashery is certainly worth a read. It's almost a bit too much in some spots but it's still good stuff!

excerpt:
French seam,
obscene
oddment,
remnant, notion,
selvedge, salvaged,
rent

god damn haberdashery
and plaid





~
 
Friday, July 25

There are only a few new poems posted today. It's a quick and easy way to wake up. Love poems and a villanelle challenge response greet you, right along with these that caught my fancy.

The poet rotsak tumbles into my awareness with (I'm betting he's a he) his poem Victoria's Secret. The poem is full of humour and of course metaphorical sexual innuendo. I read all of this poet's posted pieces and enjoyed all 3. Visit and see if you get the same from his every day matter-of-factness exhibited in his poems.

Hiding by yessirshesaid is a short vignette that says a mouthful in very few words. I mentioned in my comment that she could trim it even further to really pack a powerful punch. Don't let mine be the only voice weighing in, check it out.

If you read a poem off the new poems list that you'd like to share with us, please add your review here with a link to the poem. This thread is to invite reader's to visit some quality work and many people use it as a shortcut to discovering the day's poetry and poets. With such wide variance in subject and style as there are in poetry, the more differing tastes and attitudes there are in people reviewing the better it is for us all. Your help in filtering through Literotica's HUGE archive of poems is always appreciated, so go ahead, become a reviewer today!

Have a great weekend everyone.
 
Saturday, 26 July

I almost posted earlier, but the newly posted poems disappeared from the list while I was writing the review; they appear to have returned and have not brought any friends, so it seems that there are but two new poems this morning. In any case, reading through them is quite quick as one is brief and neither is lengthy. The paucity of entries would perhaps render my review a bit unnecessary: and therefore, if it be not edifying, at least it is short.
 
Today's new poems list was one of the longer Sundays in a while. 27 all in all if I counted right.

And the day belongs to RustyMcNail, a new aquaintance who shows some solid promise. He navigates between styles and flirts outrageously with genres, all with convincing ease. Could use an edit now and then, but nothing major. I'll definitely keep an eye out for more.

Eight poems by the fella, five of which tickled my fancy:

Passages is an excellent piece of solemn, straightforward realism.

Bride of the Chattahoochee is well crafted old skool porn horror. In verse.

Morte is a villanelle with nice trocee based rhythm and a delightfully gothic theme.

Child of Madness is yet another well executed form poem. A triolet in iambs this time.

My favourite though, is My Soul Resides. Playful, clever and pretty smooth in execution.

And lastly, I can't leave without mentioning another of Rusty's poems. Life on the Pipeline. Not because it's all that good, but because it made me think of gool old Uncle Pervey. :cool:
 
Back
Top