The Cool Science Stuff Thread

The evidence of polygamy is in our genes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../25/the-evidence-of-polygamy-is-in-our-genes/

"In the genetic history of our species, the mamas outnumber the papas. A new study in Investigative Genetics reports that females have made a bigger contribution than men.

By studying the DNA of 623 males from 51 populations, the researchers found more genetic diversity in the DNA inherited from mothers than they did in the DNA inherited from fathers.

At first glance, these results could be taken to mean that there used to be more women than men. But if you know anything about history, it makes more sense to blame reproductive habits: In many cultures, more women reproduced than men.

Polygamy -- the practice of one man marrying multiple women -- was historically pretty common (and probably much more common than the opposite group marriage arrangement, polyandry).

If most men have multiple wives, and the richest can support a whole bunch, that's going to leave some men without reproductive partners. So even though an individual male might have had more offspring than most individual women, the gender as a whole was making fewer contributions to the gene pool.

Even in cultures where polygamy wasn't the norm, the researchers told Live Science, women were historically more likely to migrate to new homes when they married. Men stayed put, so their genes stayed within their local population. Meanwhile, maternally-inherited DNA moved all across the globe."

See, it's in our genes. Not the marrying part. The multiple women part.
 
Archaeologists discover 'Dracula's Dungeon' in Turkish castle

Archaeologists have discovered what they believe is the dungeon that held Vlad the Impaler — the inspiration for Bram Stoker's character Dracula.

The team found dungeons, tunnels, and a military shelter in Turkey's Tokat Castle, where Vlad the Impaler was reportedly held in the beginning of the 15th century. The archaeologists discovered two dungeons during the castle's restoration work, which began in 2009. The restoration work led to the discovery of secrets tunnel between the castle, a military shelter, and the Pervane Baths.

The archaeologists believe Vlad the Impaler — a.k.a. Wallachian Prince Vlad III — was held in the dungeons by the Ottoman Turks in 1442. Tokate was conquered by the Seljuk Turks in the 12th century, and it became a part of the Ottoman empire in 1392. Tokat Castle, a ruined citadel, is in the hills above the city.
 
Archaeologists discover 'Dracula's Dungeon' in Turkish castle

Archaeologists have discovered what they believe is the dungeon that held Vlad the Impaler — the inspiration for Bram Stoker's character Dracula.

The team found dungeons, tunnels, and a military shelter in Turkey's Tokat Castle, where Vlad the Impaler was reportedly held in the beginning of the 15th century. The archaeologists discovered two dungeons during the castle's restoration work, which began in 2009. The restoration work led to the discovery of secrets tunnel between the castle, a military shelter, and the Pervane Baths.

The archaeologists believe Vlad the Impaler — a.k.a. Wallachian Prince Vlad III — was held in the dungeons by the Ottoman Turks in 1442. Tokate was conquered by the Seljuk Turks in the 12th century, and it became a part of the Ottoman empire in 1392. Tokat Castle, a ruined citadel, is in the hills above the city.

That's SO cool. I'd love to wander through a castle and stumble upon secret tunnels. Very awesome!
 
K

The nerve is very sensitive, interesting a sharp pain accompanied...

TGIF
 
The nerve is very sensitive, interesting a sharp pain accompanied...

TGIF

Are you the new Byron?



Archaeologists discover one of the earliest-known images of Jesus — and he's beardless


Archaeologists have uncovered one of the earliest-known images of Jesus in the town of Cástulo in Andalusia, Spain. The image, engraved on a glass plate known as a paten, shows a beardless, short-haired Jesus.

The archaeologists estimate the 8.6-inch paten is from the fourth century C.E., and they suspect it was used to hold Eucharistic bread. The image shows Jesus in a philosopher's toga, along with two other — also beardless — male figures, whom researchers suspect are Peter and Paul, two of Jesus' apostles. All three of the men are depicted with halos. "The scene takes place in the celestial orb, framed between two palm trees, which in Christian iconography represent immortality, the afterlife, and heaven, among other things," the archaeologists said in a statement.

The paten is the earliest depiction that has been found in Spain, Discovery News reports, and it is "in an excellent state of preservation," with 81 percent of its original contents restored. The paten is now on display at the Archaeological Museum of Linares.



BzNI5q9CUAA_Wu0.jpg
 
#wecanlandonacomet....but we can't feed the people on our own planet.
 
Last edited:
Some scientists think we'll find signs of aliens within our lifetimes. Here's how.

b02c59054776807d4de1186e83fb6880


Finding extraterrestrial life is the essence of science fiction. But it's not so far-fetched to predict that we might find evidence of life on a distant planet within a generation.

"With new telescopes coming online within the next five or ten years, we'll really have a chance to figure out whether we're alone in the universe," says Lisa Kaltenegger, an astronomer and director of Cornell's new Institute for Pale Blue Dots, which will search for habitable planets. "For the first time in human history, we might have the capability to do this."
 
Coolest Archaeological Discoveries of 2014

Thanks to the careful work of archaeologists, we learned more in the past year about Stonehenge's hidden monuments, Richard III's gruesome death and King Tut's mummified erection. From the discovery of an ancient tomb in Greece to the first evidence of Neanderthal art, here are 10 of Live Science's favorite archaeology stories of 2014.
 
Back
Top