My Zombie Shelter (open to everyone)

Since she hadn't eaten in more days than she cared to count, she nodded in agreement, reminding herself she needed their help for those she left behind. Thinking about them tears came to her eyes but she had to be strong. She had to get him to trust her, otherwise they would all be dead, and she... what they would do to her didn't bear thinking about.

As he moved off to put the food down, she called after him "If you see anyone on a motorcycle shoot! Don't wait! kill them as soon as you see them or we're both dead."

She counted 300 Mississippis and then slowly rode the horse over to the garage he had told her about. Dismounting, she tied it to a tree branch. before Picking up a large rock she walked up to the can. Pulling the knife out she put the point on the can. Holding the knife in place she struck the knife handle with it driving half the blade into the can.

Repeating this several more times, she gulped the fluid down savoring the taste. ONce all the liquid was gone she used her fingers to scoop out the mushroom slices and eats them faster than she drank the juice. Her stomach growled in protest at getting so little food after so long without any.

Feeling slightly better, she tossed the can into a trash can. Laughing at herself she mutters "old habits die hard" as she frees the horse and mounting him again she heads back towards the farm.

I was standing with one foot in each front seat of my truck, torso and arms outside the truck through the opened sunroof. My sunglasses were flipped back on top of my head and I was watching her though the scope. My anger had not abated. The rifle was snug against my right shoulder, I could hit her on the first try.

I probably wouldn't have found her but she called out as I was cruising by with the windows down listening for hoof beats. I had just pulled into a subdivision when the sound reached my ears. I parked the truck between two houses, I was about 100 yards away and as far as I knew no one had spotted me despite my precarious position.

One breath, a pause.

She stood up and threw the can away she had eaten out of. She remounted Romeo and turned him up the street. Soon she would be out of my field of vision. I had a choice to make, take the shot I had now or stalk her and hope to get a better one.

She never saw it coming. The dart hit her right in between the shoulder blades, i'd been aiming a little more left of center but at least this way it would be harder for her to reach around and pull out. Either way the ace would do it's job.

Cursing herself for trusting the asshole, as she felt a dart strike her in the back. She flashed back ta the first days of the outbreak. Afraid history was about to repeat itself she kicked the horse into a gallop and held on tight hoping it would get her away from the people who kept trying to take her prisoner.

Her eye lids got heavy as she tried to fight the losing battle. All too soon her grip loosened and she fell off the horse who continued to run as she crashed to the ground unconcious.

"Damn it," I hissed as she spurred the horse on. Every time his feet hit the pavement I felt like wincing, she would make him lame at this rate, ignorant little twit.

I dropped back into the drivers seat, tossed the rifle in back and put the truck in gear.

As soon as she hit the ground Romeo stopped running and quickly settled to grazing in the front yard of an abandoned home. Most horses wouldn't continue running unless you asked them to or they were scared of something. Romeo had nothing to be afraid of, he knew my voice and the sound of the truck.

I pulled her limp body across my shoulder and laid her down in the back seat...again. This scene was a little too familiar for my liking. Now I had to figure out how the hell to get Romeo and the truck back to the clinic. Damnit. Either way I couldn't stay out in the open for long. I was armed with my knife, the Glock in my thigh holster, and whatever ammo I had stashed in the glovebox for the rifle. I sighed and my hands went to my hips.

"Come here big guy, what did she do to you hm," I spoke quietly, reassuring him. He seemed fine, she hadn't ridden him more than maybe 3 or 4 miles. I heard sounds, the walkers would be drawn to the noise. I had decisions to make. His head came up, I rubbed the tiny white star under his fetlock affectionately.

"Good boy," I crooned as he lowered his head and went back to the grass.

I hadn't made it more than fifty yards, trying to remain as quiet yet quick as possible when all hell broke loose. Honestly I should have expected it. Things had been going along way too smoothly for them to continue.

I stopped dead in my tracks as I heard the galloping of hooves on pavement, and the roar of engine coming in my direction. I took a knee next to one of the houses closer to the entrance of the development, and tried to get eyes on the person or persons that had taken pursuit of Lady Godiva.I saw a pick up that looked kind of familiar and shortly a redhead that looked even more familiar, the doc.

For an instant I was relieved. I looked around seeing if I could see Mike or Max, but then thought that he might have taken up overwatch as the doc approached the horse thief. Still, the absence of seeing Mike or hearing Max, made me a bit uneasy and if I had learned anything it was to take nothing for granted.

I slung my rifle over my back and grabbed the pistol. A quick check of the chamber and I started making my way toward the doc. I was coming from her six, but was careful to keep someplace that I could take cover between her and I. When I was within twenty yards, I stepped out to the street and pointed the pistol directly at her head.

"What's up...doc?" I said with as much of an attitude as I could muster. "Hands in the air, turn around real slow."

I turned slowly, hands held out away from my body with a loose rein between my thumb and forefinger so Romeo didn't go anywhere.

"This is the second time you've pointed a gun at me in the last 24 hours, didn't you learn your lesson last time?" The question dripped sarcasm. Oh I was pissed, "help me or get out of my way."

We both knew how dangerous it was to be in the middle of the street like this. It was only a matter of time before the undead took notice. The more time he wasted having an argument was time we should be using to get moving.

"Oh my memory is just fine sugarpants. The only difference between then and now is that fact that I have a pistol pointed at your dome, instead of a rifle. In any case, this time, just like LAST time, your gonna lay that hog leg down or I'm gonna give you another hole to do with whatever you do with the holes you already have. Are we clear?...Doc?"

I moved my finger to the trigger, and adjusted my stance slightly to emphasize the fact that I wasn't fucking around. It seemed like the women folk around this joint liked to have a bit of an attitude at the same time they were asking for help.

"Where are Mike and Max?"

Sugar what? How Mike managed to get himself hooked up to this jackwagon was beyond me. His only redeeming quality was that he was good with a gun as far as I could see.

"They're around somewhere. I'm sure we will run into them soon enough. I know you don't trust me but you're just going to have to take my word for it. We really need to get going, do you mind driving?"

I gestured to the truck.

"I guess if you think i'm pulling one over on you then you can kill me but Mike would probably be pretty pissed if you did," I added after thinking for a second.

I really hated the idea of this...dude....behind the wheel of my truck but I really didn't have any other option at this point. I needed to get Romeo back home under my roof and what's her face back to the OR. This time I was going to have to be sure to secure the door a little better.

"We can keep standing here and deal with an onslaught of the undead that have surely heard the commotion or we can hightail it, your choice now."

As bad as I hated to admit it, she had a point. I swept my eyes around quickly and then lowered the Kimber. I had three choices in front of me, and two of them sucked ass. I could stay here, and keep moving with the horse thief. This was the least appealing of my options seeing how it was fairly obvious that she was certifiable and I would have to watch my six 24/7 while she was around. I could get in the truck, and follow Mike's mouthpiece back to her place and hopefully meet up with him and Max. The last option was to just say fuck it all, and head off on my own.

I liked the last two, if for no other reason then they had the least chance of me dying. If I headed off on my own, I could make my way back to the compound, secure the entrance, and hold up there for while. There was water and provisions there, as well as a nice big wall surrounding the place that could afford a guy a peaceful night's sleep; that alone could be worth it.

Still, I wanted to see Mike and Max, and talk things over with them. Mike and I were very different men, but I valued his insights and looked at him as my best friend, if not a brother. I was pretty sure I could handle the redhead. The most dangerous thing about her seemed to be her mouth.

"Aight Doc, I'll follow you. You so much as break into a canter though..." I said waving the pistol in my hand to draw her attention. "Savvy?"

She had pretty much hauled ass before I had a chance to gear up. I totally understood her need. I'd do the same for Max, no doubt about it.

I stood for a moment just wondering what I should do. Then I remembered something. I got Max out of the kennel and got myself geared up. Before I left, a taped a note to her stable door.

GONE TO CHECK OUT A MILITARY CONVOY NEAR THE 4 WAY ROAD INTERSECTION. MILITARY VEHICLES ON THE ROADSIDE ABOUT 3 KM WEST OF INTERSECTION.

-MIKE

I remember seeing the vehicles when we were on the way to Mallory's place yesterday evening. I just could make out the shape of a deuce and a half down the road about a mile.

Max and I walked down the road and cut through the tree line when we got to the four-way intersection. It didn't take us long to make the hike; maybe about 25 minutes. Another 20 and we were at the site.

I saw two LAV's. I knew immediately these vehicles belonged to the Marines. They called them "Dragoons". There was one deuce-and-a-half, or two and half ton transport truck. They were parked in single file on the roadside, sitting quietly in the grass.

Then I saw the carnage. It looked like they had been traveling down the road and pulled over because of a blockage of felled trees. The trees, I saw, had been sawed down and felled across the road. Purposely blocking the road? Yeah. But, why and by whom?

There were dead undead everywhere. The Marines had made a last stand and were completely overrun. It was obvious they had dropped several of the zombies at distance with small arms, but they had eventually went hand-to-hand. There were eight Marines, a full squad, and everyone one of them was KIA.

The more I looked, the more it became apparent what took place. They had been traveling at night without the aid of night vision. They hit the road block, got out, and began formulating a plan of action. One of the LAV's had a chain hooked around its front tow hook. I assumed they had planned to pull the trees out of their way. The undead came and attacked, probably coming in from their flank on the right. Before the Marines knew it they were up to their asses in walking corpses.

One survived, but he was bitten. The squad leader. He had lieutenant bars on his BDU's. He took care of the rest of his team, then did himself because he knew the outcome of the bite he took.

Death before dishonor.

I nodded my head. I've always had the deepest respect for the Marines. They had saved my ass on more than one occasion.

I took an inventory of their weapons and ammunition. I checked each LAV and the deuce. I found a very nice surprise in one of the LAV's. It was a USMC issue M40A2 sniper rifle. One of the Marines was a HOG: a Hunter Of Gunmen. A sniper. I couldn't help but give a little smile when I slung the rifle across my back. I recovered two battle packs of ammo for it, 175 grain boat tail in .308. That was 500 rounds, total.

I checked the deuce. I turned on the electrics and was greeted with a glowing red indicator that the engine glow plugs were warming. I hadn't realized I had crossed my fingers, but I guess it had helped. When I pushed the engine start button the diesel groaned for a second but started up. I let it run for a minute then shut it down. I didn't want the loud Detroit Diesel to attract unwanted attention.

I loaded the Marines' weapons in the back. I had managed to salvage eight M4's with Aimpoints (two of which had M203 grenade launchers attached), about 1,800 rounds of 5.56, 36 rounds of 40 Mike Mike grenades, and I even got some of their M9 Berretas and 9MM rounds.

It took me a while to pick all of this inventory out and get it loaded into the deuce. Max had decided it was a good time for a nap and laid down at the passenger's door of the deuce. I honestly felt like joining him, but I had one more thing to take care of.

I carefully extracted the dead Marines from amongst the dead dead undead. I placed them side by side on the edge of the roadway. I removed their dog tags and put them into one of my cargo pockets. I then drained a bit of diesel fuel from one of the LAV's into a canteen I had emptied out. I doused their bodies with the fuel and then popped a road flare from the deuce and tossed it onto them. The fire immediately caught and burned.

I stood there for a moment in solemn silence. I then came to a rigid attention and slowly raised my right hand in a salute. I held the salute for a moment then dropped my hand to my side.

"Semper fi, Devil Dogs," I said as the tears came.

Just then I heard a low growl from Max. I turned to see a corpse ambling its way across the road from the trees. It tried to walk through the fallen trees across the road to get to me and got stuck. I walked up to it and stared at it for a few seconds. I then pulled my Trident out of its sheath and plunged the blade between its eyes.

"Fuck you," I told it as the black blood oozed around my knife's blade. I pulled the knife out and the thing went limp. I wiped the blade on its torn and tattered flannel coat and re-sheathed it.

"Come on, Max, let's bug out," I said to my friend. Max obviously agreed with me and met me at the passenger's door of the deuce-and-a-half. I got in myself and fired the truck up and headed back to Mallory's place.

Last edited:
"I'm only going to canter to get away from something chasing me," I assured him and nodded at the truck, "keys are in the ignition."

I turned my back to him, huge show of trust right there especially given that I didn't trust him all that much right now but it was really the only option I had.

I checked the girth and then swung up into the saddle easily. I waited until Randy was in the truck before turning my horse up the road and nudging him along at a walk. At this pace the truck would crawl quietly along, it would take us awhile to get back at this rate. I could see the front bumper in my peripheral vision, he stayed close. That was good.

I stayed alert, but to be honest it felt really nice to be on a horse again. I had only taken Romeo out a handful of times since all hell broke loose, only when I felt the need to conserve fuel. I let him run a couple of times too, wish I could do it now. There was nothing better than letting a racehorse have all the rein he wanted.

We made it out of the neighborhood without any issues, once the main road opened up the flat lands were relatively safe. It was easy to see something or someone coming from a long way off. If it were just me I would have cut across the fields to my property but with the truck that wasn't possible. I sighed and wandered what Mike was up to. I wished he'd been here to deal with his friend. Also because, well...I just liked him being around period.

Ugh. Men. Once they were under your skin it was impossible to forget about them.

I pushed Romeo on to a faster walk, I just wanted to get home.

We made it fine, aside from seeing some undead in the distance lumbering cluelessly around the trip was uneventful. I dismounted and bent down to haul the garage door up for Randy to get inside. After everything was closed and locked up again I figured we'd have a little pow wow and see who was on what page.

I hadn't even noticed the note taped to the door behind me.

I had paused a moment when she had opened the garage door and motioned me in. She was dismounted and armed, and I was about to show her my back as she stayed to pull the door closed. I pushed the accelerator gently and urged the truck forward. I figured that if she could have tried to get away, but she hadn't so she had earned an ounce of trust from me. I shut off the truck, and opened the door. My feet instantly began to ache from being forced to work again after the pleasant respite on the drive back.

I looked around the space and holstered the Kimber. I grabbed my rifle and slung it on my shoulder before swinging the door closed. They were in a fairly large garage that was attached to her clinic. It was one of several outbuidings that he had noticed on the property as they drove up.

"Nice place Doc. Isolated and secure."

There was shelving and cabinets all around and everything seemed to be tucked away neatly and in its place. I couldn't help but smile a bit. You could always tell a woman's touch. Then shortly, my smile faded as I remembered that touch.

"Where's Mike?" I said shaking my head back to the present.

They should be here, Mike and Max. I looked into the stall next to Abby, it was empty, the water dish was half full and the food was gone, he fed Max what I laid out. Abby didn't seem too concerned about it, she was eager to get out and greet this new person. I remembered his reaction to her yesterday though and I did not open the stall door.

"They might be in the house," I guessed, "if they're not then I have no idea where they went."

In the back of my mind I wondered if he'd cleaned me out of all the supplies in the kitchen and left, never to return. It stung and I hated thinking he might do that.

"I should get that girl locked up again, she's a hazard to us and to herself," I said.

I put Romeo back in his own stall, he seemed quite happy to have a drink. I pulled his nose out of the bucket long enough to slide the bridle off his face before letting him finish. I hung it on the outside of the stall and quickly un cinched the girth before hauling the heavy Western saddle up off his back and onto my shoulder. I went about carrying it to the tack stand and putting it away, wishing I had a locking tack room. At least she didn't take my English saddle, that thing was worth a fortune not that it mattered these days. It still meant something to me though.

I started to open the back door of the truck and pull what's her name out and into my shoulder to fireman carry her into the clinic....again.

I just watched as she tended to the horse she had been riding. She put him into a stall next to another one, removed the saddle and hung it on a sawhorse looking apparatus bolted to the wall. She was strong and fit, moving about easily, sure of every movement like she had made them a thousand times. There was a small part of me that admired her for it. She was here, an armed stranger a few feet away and a crazed horse thief/wannabe mercenary unconscious in the back of her pick-up yet she went about the chores of her animals just like it was any other day of the week.

She stepped to the tailgate and lowered it, then grabbed the crazy lady's gun and put it on her shoulder. Not wanting to be a total dick I stepped to the back beside her and made like I was going to help.

"You grab her shoulders, and I'll get her legs. I'm more of an ass man anyway." I said with a slight smile.

"I guess we'll just put her in the house," I told him.

Waking up in the OR alone had freaked her out I am sure, but I didn't necessarily want her in my house either. I could flip the doorknob around on the guest bedroom so it locked from the outside. There was no way she could get through a solid mahogany door and the window was boarded up inside and outside. All I needed to do was roll an Iv stand in there and she'd be set for awhile. Until she woke up and calmed down she probably shouldn't be alone.

"I need to clear the clinic, before we move her okay?" I stood by the doorway and unholstered my gun.

Empty, as usual. That was a good thing. Mike was probably in the house anyway so I wouldn't have to worry about the rest of the trek from the clinic and then through the house.

"Okay, we're good." I said, I propped the door open. This would be a bit awkward.

When the doc gave the all clear, we hoisted Lady Godiva up and carried her to a room in the back with boarded up windows. I had taken quick glances on the way looking for signs of Mike and Max, but hadn't seen a trace that they had ever been there. This made me uneasy, but at the moment we both had our hands full so unless she had someone waiting on the inside I wasn't too worried about her trying anything.

Once we had her situated, the doc switched the door handles on the door. I chuckled a bit at this because usually people tried to keep the crazy out, but this time we were trying to keep the crazy in. I headed back out of the house to the truck and grabbed my bag. I shut the tailgate and noticed a paper hanging on the door to the stable. My curiosity got the better of me so I walked over and read it.

It was from Mike, saying that him and Max had headed down the road a bit check out some convoy that he had seen on the way to the doc's place. I hadn't seen it, but then again I had made a huge circle to get here when I went to look for Olivia. I closed my eyes for a second and thought about that first time seeing her, laid out on that rock sunning herself.

I shook myself back to reality when I herd footsteps from inside the house.

"Looks like Mike headed down the road to check out some military vehicles he had seen. When was the last time you saw him? He didn't put a time on the note, so I don't know when he left."

The truck sure as hell drove like a deuce and a half.

I was about to bounce out of my seat. Max, sitting as best as he could in the passenger's seat, wasn't thrilled with the ride, either. It was fortunate we didn't have far to go.

I maneuvered the monster into Mallory's driveway. I brought it to a brake-squealing stop in front of the stable. I got out. Max didn't wait for me to go around and open his door. He bounded out my side. He had had enough of the truck.

I looked into the stable and saw a horse. It looked like Romeo was back where he belonged. I was sure, then, Mallory heard the sound of the deuce's big engine as I pulled up. I knew she'd probably come out upon hearing us pull up. I was thinking now that we had some weapons I needed To find Randy and see if he wanted to head back to the compound and sort through everything. Or, maybe hole up here for a while?

Last edited:
I was about to answer Randy when I heard a horrendous noise coming from outside. It sounded like a truck, hell it sounded like the whole damn armory was outside my place.

I looked at the garage door and back at Randy, "If that isn't him, then we're about to have one hell of a standoff."

I unholstered my gun and held it down ready, walked to the door, and peered through a crack in the boards. The first thing I caught a glimpse of was Max, looking very happy to be getting out of a military vehicle. Then Mike, walking around the front end of the beastly thing. My eyes surveyed what I could of the surroundings, it was likely all the noise was drawing walkers in, they just hadn't made their way close enough for me to see them yet.

I put my gun back in place and drew in a breath, preparing to go outside.

"It's him," I assured Randy. I bent and pulled on the handle at the bottom of the garage door.

As it rose it stretched my arm and then my torso with it. I held it above my head, "are you going to come in or what?" i said sarcastically, but grinning like a fox all the same. I was happy to see them again.

OOC. Hi. I'm new here and I've been reading this thread and so far it's super cool. So I was wondering if I could join? I contacted the guy who started this but he hasn't responded yet so I figured I'd ask here. If I am allowed to join should I wait and read the entire thing or should I just read towards the end and find a good spot to join in? Also my idea for my character is kind of a stoner dude who has survived through sheer dumb luck. If it would be better for me to come up with a more serious character I will.

I'd say just jump in wherever you think you have an opening. We are a pretty laid back group, the only thing we really ask is that you try to keep your posts as plausible as possible and try to have them fit the story. I am just getting back into the groove of writing myself after a personal matter, but I look forward to seeing where you help the story go. Just my $.02.

Randy

OOC: the guy who started this thread said that it was closed so I don't want to join in unless he changes his mind. I don't want to crash the party, but I hope you guys keep going this thread is a fun read.

OOC: lol, the guy who started this thread tried twice to keep up and couldn't do it. He hasn't been part of the story in a long time. However, I can respect your decision. Still, I'd say jump in. After all, without writers, it really isn't a story.

OOC: if you don't think anyone would mind then I'd love to join, I just didn't want to come in uninvited. I'll hop in when I see a spot. The character I have planned isn't some ninja badass type he's just a stoner dude with really good luck, but like I said in my earlier post I'll make a normal serious character.

OOC: I'll make a normal serious character if that would be better for the story. I accidentally hit the post button before I finished writing. Sorry

OOC: No worries. You can always do a couple of posts that give us the background of your character.

Back