How do I get rid of smell on sex toy?

ChibiFangirl

Shy Exhibistonist
I got my first dildo the other day. Its made of jelly and plastic but it smells god awful after I opened the cardboard box. Like it dosen't smell of rubber, its smells like farts. Its kind of unattractive smell. I normally wash my vibrator with hand soap after a period of uses, so I tried doing it with this toy, but it still smells of farts. Help.

Toys that smell are usually made of plastic that has been softened with chemicals. usually Phthalates to get that "jelly" flexibility. Many toys are labeled "Phthalate free" or p-free because there is some worry about safety. Before reading up on these I got a toy that I could never get the smell out of.

http://www.cdc.gov/biomonitoring/Phthalates_FactSheet.html
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-toys-what-you-need-know-now-about-phthalates
https://toxtown.nlm.nih.gov/text_version/chemicals.php?id=24

Yours may be softened with something else.

This was from the product description on amazon:
"JELLY DONG is phthalate free and latex free - made from soft pvc to provide an elegant fee"
"Material High quality construction made with premium PVC"

This kind of stink usually means the PVC wasn't cured fully/properly; nothing you can do to fix that. The smell isn't _on_ it, it's _in_ the material. you might be able to reduce it some by rolling it in baking powder and then washing it, but it's not really going to go away.

How do I get rid of smell on sex toy?

Perhaps you should dump the toy and try the real thing--the smell can be washed off (usually) and the the right guy would be happy to give you all the orgasms you want. :D

D(.)(.)

Sometimes we don't want a big hairy sweaty body on top of us. We just want a quickie stimulation and then go to sleep.

I've never had a toy that smells.

Here are a couple of things to try. Mostly, toys come straight from the factory and are stored in tight containers, which traps the odors and sort of lets it stew.

Sometimes, you won't be able to get rid of the scent, so you may have to ultimately just get another different brand.

But, try this first.

1. Wash it with a basic laundry detergent (use detergent, not soap).
2. Find a cloth bag to put it in (a pillow case will work).
3. Put it in the pillow case with either coffee grounds or baking soda.
4. Set it somewhere it can air out - I recommend outside if you have a private place, otherwise somewhere in the house where it has good circulation or air flow.

Then, after a day or so, you should be able to rinse it clean and most, if not all, of the scent should be gone. In terms of general maintenance, keep it clean, store it in a cloth bag somewhere with air circulation (you can repeat the coffee grounds or baking soda if you want).

That should take care of the scent. (The above process will work on virtually anything you get that has a chemical scent - the coffee grounds or baking soda will absorb a lot of the scent, if not all.)

I had one that smelled aweful! I tried all kinds of things... baking soda, vinegar, even Skunk-off cleaner! I tried and tried for about 4 months, and finally threw it out. :(

I hope you find a solution...

Perhaps you should dump the toy and try the real thing--the smell can be washed off (usually) and the the right guy would be happy to give you all the orgasms you want. :D

As long as we're giving unsolicited advice: sexually satisfying a woman has a lot to do with paying attention to what she wants.

When a woman asks for advice on a particular thing (like, say, getting rid of the smell on a sex toy) and you ignore her actual question in favour of "hey you should fuck a guy instead", that marks you out as somebody who's not good at listening to women.

That is not much of an advertisement for your ladypleasing skills.

(sarcastically) Yeah that dosen't sound creepy at all. (normal) I have really high standards and the guy I like/want is unavailable. I want my first time to be speacil, not a one night stand.

When a woman asks for advice on a particular thing (like, say, getting rid of the smell on a sex toy) and you ignore her actual question in favour of "hey you should fuck a guy instead", that marks you out as somebody who's not good at listening to women.
I think it sounds rape-y. I don't have a man at this time. Probably won't for a while. The coment just felt really creepy.

1. Wash it with a basic laundry detergent (use detergent, not soap).
2. Find a cloth bag to put it in (a pillow case will work).
3. Put it in the pillow case with either coffee grounds or baking soda.
4. Set it somewhere it can air out - I recommend outside if you have a private place, otherwise somewhere in the house where it has good circulation or air flow.

Then, after a day or so, you should be able to rinse it clean and most, if not all, of the scent should be gone. In terms of general maintenance, keep it clean, store it in a cloth bag somewhere with air circulation (you can repeat the coffee grounds or baking soda if you want).

That should take care of the scent. (The above process will work on virtually anything you get that has a chemical scent - the coffee grounds or baking soda will absorb a lot of the scent, if not all.)
Unfortunately my dorm dosen't come with a kitchen so I have no coffee grounds or baking soda. I have divergent and a pillow case.

Honestly you're probably out of luck. Some of those are manufactured cheaply and the defects in the process cause a foul smell.

BUT... This might sound weird but if you can get access to a dishwasher I've heard about that helping in situations like this. If you can make that happen just use regular detergent and put it on "hot." One cycle should do it. I swear I'm not making that up. Someone I know did it.

And yeah, that was a rapey comment. Pretty creepy.

Honestly with shit like that all over this site can you blame so many women for not wanting PMs from guys? I don't think it's hard to understand.

I got my first dildo the other day. Its made of jelly and plastic but it smells god awful after I opened the cardboard box. Like it dosen't smell of rubber, its smells like farts. Its kind of unattractive smell. I normally wash my vibrator with hand soap after a period of uses, so I tried doing it with this toy, but it still smells of farts. Help.

Why not do what most people would do: contact the manufacturer, take it back to the shop for a refund, or did you buy it online?

Try letting it soak in bleach. I find that replaces most smells with a very clinical one.
I mean it may end up ruining the toy, but if it smells that bad then there's no big loss as it needs replacing anyway.
Obviously wash it after bleaching it or you're in for a world of hurt lol.

Visit stainsolver dot com. I think you'll find your solution there. And no, I don't own the company. Wish I did though.

(sarcastically) Thank you, this really helps.

(Totally serious [sarcastic]) You're welcome.

Also, pharmacist to pharmacist... You should know that there is no such thing as an "herbal pharmacist." If you go to pharmacy school, you'll figure out that when BigPharma can make money on an herbal product, it's no longer seen as an herbal drug in the eyes of the consumer.

Idiot...

-PharmD, class of 2012

(Edit: A feminist who only dates feminist men... omfg... "Everything is sexist, everything is racist, and you have to point it all out." - Anita Sarkeesian)

Last edited:
clearing the smell

The one certain way to clear that smell, is to rub it with a good creamy toothpaste,that will kill the smell. The next time you use it,put a little of the same paste on your clitoris, you should find it quite interesting, pm me with the results, would love to hear how you get on.FTO

I can totally relate to that.

We bought a hard rubber ball for the dog and it also exudes a strong chemical smell. Nothing seems to shift it.

Bad odors are caused by one of two things. Chemicals or bacteria.

Chemical odors may or may not fade over time. They may or may not be lessened or removed by letting the object air out, using baking soda or charcoal both of which absorb odors.

Odors from bacteria can be removed by a good scrubbing with hot water and soap. Using a dishwasher is one way. Make sure you do not use detergent, some could remaine behind and cause irritations or health issues.

You could let the item soak in a solution of chlorine (clorox is the best, fewer impurities and only use unscented) and water (follow directions on the label).

You can also put it in a pot of boiling water and boil it for 30 minutes.

Chlorine and boiling will kill all bacteria and viruses sanitizing the object. They will get into any small openings and pores to clean it thoroughly. However they may cause damage to it as well. Heat and Chlorine can and will destroy some materials so do this at your own risk.

Washing the item even with an antimicrobial soap will leave some bacteria and viruses alive which will reduce but not eliminate the smell. These soaps could also cause health issues if not thoroughly rinsed.

Read the comments on the item on Amazon, see if other people had an odor problem and if they were able to solve it.

You could also contact the seller and complain about the odor, see if they will replace it or refund you.

Honestly you're probably out of luck. Some of those are manufactured cheaply and the defects in the process cause a foul smell.

BUT... This might sound weird but if you can get access to a dishwasher I've heard about that helping in situations like this. If you can make that happen just use regular detergent and put it on "hot." One cycle should do it. I swear I'm not making that up. Someone I know did it.

And yeah, that was a rapey comment. Pretty creepy.

Honestly with shit like that all over this site can you blame so many women for not wanting PMs from guys? I don't think it's hard to understand.
Thanks for being a guy who makes sense. So many of us thank you

(Edit: A feminist who only dates feminist men... omfg... "Everything is sexist, everything is racist, and you have to point it all out." - Anita Sarkeesian)
And if your instant response to a girl who asked a question, responded to an unhelpful non-sequitir, oh, and listening to her gut in not liking her request being ignored by a leghumper...is this...you are exactly the same as Anita Sarkeesian, using the same tactics. You are just the male version screaming on the other side, but you and she are both the same. Look at Bramblethorn's post if you need a hint how to behave.

Baking soda is worth a try, make it into a paste and coat the toy. Leave it in a polythene bag for a day or two. Or you could try leaving it on a sunny bathroom/ bedroom window sill for a few days. Both the air and sun's rays should help lessen the smell.

Back