Nightfall - (Firefly OOC)

TearsoftheWorld

Radical Dreamer
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Posts
16,002
Okay, so I finally decided on a name for both the thread and the ship where a lot of our characters will meet up on. This story will run parallel to the events in the T.V. show Fireflyand (eventually) the 2005 movie Serenity.

The crew of the ship Nightfall will land on a moon-planet for repairs and work, and that's where the action'll begin.

~ ~ ~

Nightfall! Quietly it crept in and changed us all!
Nightfall! Quietly it crept in and changed us all!
Nightfall! Immortal land lies down in agony.
 
Ok, getting a concept together.

Hey Tears, is this guy starting off as the ships mechanic, or is that going to happen via thread.
 
Hmmm, whatever you feel like. I can either NPC a mechanic until you arrive, or you can be my mechanic already. Flip a coin and figure it out!!!
 
For those planning bio's, the event(s) of this thread happen roughly at the same time as those of Firefly, and eventually Serenity. So, basically, the reports about Miranda haven't surfaced yet.
 
ok, lets make him part of the crew already.

won't have anything up tonight (just got home), but hopefully by tomorrow.
Kinda waiting on your post so I can work him in.

(& I am a bit rusty)

hey Chas, too bad I can't port in my Metallo character from the DC Yahoo thread huh? That would be uber cool!
 
ok, lets make him part of the crew already.

won't have anything up tonight (just got home), but hopefully by tomorrow.
Kinda waiting on your post so I can work him in.

(& I am a bit rusty)

hey Chas, too bad I can't port in my Metallo character from the DC Yahoo thread huh? That would be uber cool!

That would be uber cool. I miss him!

But I guess you'll find that Kryptonite is in short supply in The 'Verse.
 
Work's kept me from being able to write too much, but there should be an official IC thread up within the week.
 
For those planning bio's, the event(s) of this thread happen roughly at the same time as those of Firefly, and eventually Serenity. So, basically, the reports about Miranda haven't surfaced yet.

I was aiming my bio's "present" to be 2517, which is about when Simon and River come aboard Serenity, and I was thinking my girl would already be aboard?

Would that be accurate, Kim?
 
I was aiming my bio's "present" to be 2517, which is about when Simon and River come aboard Serenity, and I was thinking my girl would already be aboard?

Would that be accurate, Kim?

That certainly works for me. It'll give us a chance to get some quality action in of our own before the Firefly-verse is flipped upside down once Cap'n Reynolds takes a trip to Reaver central.
 
That certainly works for me. It'll give us a chance to get some quality action in of our own before the Firefly-verse is flipped upside down once Cap'n Reynolds takes a trip to Reaver central.

He's cute an' all, but he sure do know how to leave a place all higgledy-piggledy.

Bonafide, Kim, many thanks.
 
Razor-Edged Cherry Blossom.

RosaMcKennitChen.jpg


Name: Rosa McKennitt Chen
Age: 18
Planet: Greenleaf
Height: 5'7"
Hair: Black
Eyes: Dark Brown

lyfbio-1.jpg


Bio:

Born 2499 in the tropical belt of the planet Greenleaf, Rosa Chen was the daughter of workers in the massive pharmaceutical farms grown under those arboreal canopies. While her parents-- Martin and Julia --were hardworking, and honest, they were impoverished by their honesty; never once did they attempt to make extra money on the side with the small cartels that skimmed off of the pharmaceutical companies' profits.

Thus, it was no small relief to her small family when Rosa's aptitudes in mathematics and athletics scored her a surprising scholarship at a heretofore little-known and exclusive school in The Central Planets. With pride indeed, Rosa's parents bundled their eager daughter off on a passenger ship to The Core...

...and promptly never heard from her again.

Damaged perhaps beyond repair by an arduous process meant to turn the genius into the invincible, Rosa was the first of The Academy's successes, capable of dodging bullets, fighting multiple proficient opponents at once, running up walls and leaping Olympian distances. The Academics rushed her into field-testing...

...where she swiftly became The Academy's first great and terrible failure.

Overcome by agoraphobia and the sensory issues of her fractured reality matrix, she broke like glass under heavy fire. The Academics declared her a lost cause, ordering her handler to eliminate her-- lest their masters at The Parliament learn of this failure and become less than unanimous in their support.

In one lightning burst of lucidity, Rosa became aware of her handler's betrayal as her own sensitivities detected his trigger finger starting to squeeze...

...her kick blew him through a window several hundred stories high, and she vanished all over again, into the alleys and culdesacs of New Dunsmuir.

This had been two years ago. She had been sixteen.

Since then, she's come aboard the ship Nightfall, and has henceforth made herself useful.

---

Abilities/Skills:

Enhanced kinesthetics.

"Physical Empathy:" the ability to attune to an opponent's motor neurons and thereby "read" his or her body language on a quasi-psychic level.

Ability to calculate trajectories with praeternatural precision.

Advanced training in combat involving melee, improvised, and ranged weapons.

Gymnastics and overall athletic skills far above the human average, combining with enhanced kinesthetics to produce parkour-esque feats that also border on the praeternatural.

Shortcomings:

Illiterate and presenting largely nonverbal, Rosa's first language is action, not speech. While she can understand most words spoken to her, Rosa's verbal replies are few and far between, and never more than a handful of words. In a pinch, she utilizes largely ad-libbed visual-gestural communication to get her point across, but for the most part conversing with her is an exercise in frustration and/or futility.

As a result of this, the crew of Nightfall know next to zero about her-- only that she's damn useful in a tussle, and no mistake. (Well, they also know she's as pretty as a picture and broken as a Capissen 38 Mk II, but let's not quibble the nitty-gritties.)

Her ability to perceive the thoughts of others is strictly limited to impulses from their motor cortex to their neuromuscular systems. She knows what a person is about to do almost before they do, but she cannot perceive words or images, nor does she display the occasional psychometric and precognitive abilities of Academy powerhouse River Tam.

She finds large open spaces to be absolutely terrifying, and loud noises-- especially repeated, unsilenced gunfire --aggravate the sensory issues that resulted from her "treatment."

She prefers enclosed rooms, and tends to wear heavy clothing, boots, and gloves to minimize her exposure. She may occasionally wear earplugs.

Her ability to utilize NewTech and pilot vehicles is drastically limited by her inability to read basic signs and gauges.

She's annoyed by people who talk too much, especially repetitive speech muttered low.

It has thus far been assumed that The Parliament had assumed her dead at the site of her breakdown and her kill order. On t' other hand, if something were to tip them off that she was anything but corpsified, there might be a reshuffling of priorities, so to speak.

 
Last edited:
I don't think the word 'shiny' does that character justice.

:heart::cattail::heart:

Thank you, dear!

It occurs to me that Nightfall's crew will have no idea what her real name is, so I'ma leave it up to individual characters to decide what they're going to nickname her.

I kinda dig "Spooky," but, yeah, it's up to them not me.

I am also completely flexible with regard to details; I wasn't sure if I jacked up her powers too much without enough Achilles-heels.
 
ok, I can definately work in with your character Chas.

How would she react to subtle things? such as a quiet tea ceremony, or just being around my guy doing his practice in the way of Budo (Zen martial arts)
 
ok, I can definately work in with your character Chas.

How would she react to subtle things? such as a quiet tea ceremony, or just being around my guy doing his practice in the way of Budo (Zen martial arts)

I bet you she would find those things extremely therapeutic.

So long as, yeah, there's not any repetitive muttering involved.
 
a tea ceremony is silent when done correctly.

& his katas are usually done slowly. Though when (& if) we spar I bet everyone comes down to watch.

My guy ain't modded but he did grow up in a monestary full of monks.

& I'm talking the "snatch the pebble from my hand" kind of Monk!
 
Back
Top