The Official Author's Hangout Valentine's Day 2013 Contest Support Thread

Here's the problem. You really shouldn't have to go far enough with considering Scouries's posts to even surface a question like this. Your bullshit meter needs to be fixed.

And that's why folks have to keep pointing out the Scouries's contests are fakes. Because some other posters have bullshit meters as broken as yours apparently is.

I've stayed out of the fray for fear of attracting unwanted attention (i.e. "one-bombs"), but after I needed to clear away some off-topic anonymous comments from several of my stories, I realized, "Who cares? You're going to get one-bombs regardless of what you do." It's a free and open site. Haters are gonna hate, etc.

Since posting my thoughts, my contest entry has picked up its first negative comment (which may have some value, btw) and I've watched my score begin to plummet.

Thanks for your concern about my bullshit meter. However, I believe my bullshit meter it works just fine. It was fun to refute his "rules" for any newbs who are still confused. It's one thing to read the constant reminders offered as a public service. I was set straight about things shortly after joining Lit (and asking). I think it's worth pulling back the veil and pointing a few things out, even if I appear to be a relative Lit n00b compared to others.

Contest analysis - Valentine's Day Contest 2013

Good evening. The ants tell me that there are 38 stories in the competition to date, with an average score of 4.20 from an average of 320 votes. Stories had an average of 16,891 views, an average of 7 favorites, and an average of 10 comments. The average ratio of votes to views is 1.72%. The average number of pages is 2.8, with the longest story being 7 pages.

So far there have been a total of 10,262 votes, 641,881 views, 267 favorites and 406 comments.

The standard deviation of scores (from the average of 4.20) is 0.56 and the standard deviation of votes (from the average of 320) is 309. The median score is 4.41, the median number of votes is 169 and the median number of pages is 2. The top 25% of scores are 4.54 or above and the bottom 25% of scores are 3.95 or below.

Sweeps

Some votes have been reduced (swept) since the start of the competition. A total of 1 story has had its vote adjusted, with 0 sweeps resulting in a new score that day which is higher than before and 0 sweeps resulting in a new score that day which is lower. There were a total of 3 votes swept, being an average of 3 per swept story. The maximum number of votes swept for a single story was 3. (Figures based on toplists, and may not be totally accurate).

(Note: The story in question had its number of votes go down, however the score remained the same).

Categories entered (alphabetic order)

• Anal (2 stories)
  • BDSM (1 story)
  • Erotic Couplings (4 stories)
  • Fetish (1 story)
  • First Time (2 stories)
  • Gay Male (2 stories)
  • Incest/Taboo (6 stories)
  • Lesbian Sex (1 story)
  • Loving Wives (4 stories)
  • NonHuman (1 story)
  • Novels and Novellas (2 stories)
  • Romance (10 stories)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy (1 story)
  • Transsexuals & Crossdressers (1 story)

New stories today

Authors entered so far are:

BenLong, BrettJ, BuckyDuckman, carlieplum, Cndrlla69, DG Hear (2), geronimo_appleby (2), glynndah, HeyAll, Ironiclaconic, JagFarlane, luvthedesserts (2), msgrant67, MSTarot, nicerack, OctavianEarth, pandybear311, qingming, RedHairedandFriendly, RjThoughts, SarahLove, Schaka, sexnovella, silkstockingslover, sirhugs, sr71plt (2), SusanJillParker, sweet_lusciousdesire, Totzman, Transverse, Tx Tall Tales, xelliebabex (2), YDB95

Disclaimer

Because of the way this site works these figures will not be totally up-to-date. For a given story the score shown on the category page, the author's page, and the toplists page, can all be different. Also it appears that various pages update at different times of the day, sometimes quite infrequently.

Please do not PM me asking for more detailed information. I do not wish to skew contest results by giving a target for voting manipulation.

Contest page: Valentine's Day Contest 2013

thank you bucky for your interest in our contest.

image.php

fyi here's a list of a.i.r. award winners...

[size=+3]ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS (A.I.R.)
[/size]

[size=+2]
A.I.R. CONTEST WINNERS
[/size]

Multiple Winners:

alwayswantedto
D.G.Hear
DanielQSteele1
HarddaysKnight
HeyAll
Just Plain Bob
klrxo
ohio
Rehnquist
rgjohn

sarahhh
scouries
silkstockinglover
Slirpuff
StarStang06
Try Anything
Tx Tall Tales

One Time Winners:

Ahabscribe
alana9
AnsemRai
BarondeSade
Centrum1000
dezurtdawg
Exporoni
Firebrain
FrancisMacomber
geronimo Appleby

Goldeniangel
Hot Sister
JammyJimmy
Jasliz
JazCullen
julesteve
LiquidMathew
Matt Moreau
mia_erotica
MistressLynn

MugsbyB
niki_2021
NamelessRose
PepperPace
RainierWriterII
Rampant404
Rickyroma
samslam
Seduc1ove
Serena Kitt

Slickman
slow_n_gentle
SusieQ
SweetestThing
Walterio
Xyster
YKN4949
YoursSINSerely
youbadboy

[size=+2]
A.I.R. SPECIAL AWARDS
[/size]

theravenfox
Boxlicker101

image.php

fyi here's a list of a.i.r. award winners...

barad-dur.jpg

"But suddenly the Mirror went altogether dark, as dark as if a hole had opened in the world of sight, and [Bucky Duckman] looked into emptiness. In the black abyss there appeared a single Eye that slowly grew, until it filled nearly all the Mirror. So terrible was it that [Bucky Duckman] stood rooted, unable to cry out or to withdraw his gaze. The eye was rimmed with fire, but was itself glazed, yellow as a cat's, watchful and intent, and the black slit of its pupil opened to a pit, an window into nothing."

Why do I feel as if I should hereby bid good-bye to any red H's any of my stories ever received? And should that happen, how obvious will it be?

I've stayed out of the fray for fear of attracting unwanted attention (i.e. "one-bombs"), but after I needed to clear away some off-topic anonymous comments from several of my stories, I realized, "Who cares? You're going to get one-bombs regardless of what you do." It's a free and open site. Haters are gonna hate, etc.

Yep. My first-ever vote on any story on Lit was a one-bomb. Unpleasant, but at least I got it out of the way early. (That story now has a healthy over-four score, another reason to not be bitter at all. ;) )

Poor scouries, he hates it when the truth comes out. For those that don't know, scouriesworld is scouries. Same ISP address among other things. It is his propaganda alt. He lost his last one for spamming the AH forum.

I have a new story about half done. I'll submit it if I finish it and get it edited in time. It looks like it might even be non-erotic. Just have to wait and see. Interesting, a loving wife, an incest and a non-erotic. LOL
DG

I have a new story about half done. I'll submit it if I finish it and get it edited in time. It looks like it might even be non-erotic. Just have to wait and see. Interesting, a loving wife, an incest and a non-erotic. LOL
DG

Covering all the bases :D

I've asked this question in the Story Ideas thread where I originally posted my idea, but I'll ask here too in the hope of more advice.

I've just written my first Valentine's Day story and I don't quite know what category it belongs in. The story's about a lonely woman being seduced by the Valentine's fairy. There's a bit of a suggestion of magic/love potion sort of things, but mostly the fact that he's a fairy isn't a big deal with it. He doesn't have wings, isn't a tiny little thing, mostly looks like a man. The sex in the story is fairly conventional.

So, would the audience in the Erotic Couplings category, for example, be OK with something with a little magic and fantasy or would the audience in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy category be OK with something that doesn't have masses of magic and fantasy? Which is more likely to bring this story to an appropriate audience?

Could probably go either place. Sci Fi crowd tends to give slightly better rankings but you get less views, in my experience.

I've asked this question in the Story Ideas thread where I originally posted my idea, but I'll ask here too in the hope of more advice.

I've just written my first Valentine's Day story and I don't quite know what category it belongs in. The story's about a lonely woman being seduced by the Valentine's fairy. There's a bit of a suggestion of magic/love potion sort of things, but mostly the fact that he's a fairy isn't a big deal with it. He doesn't have wings, isn't a tiny little thing, mostly looks like a man. The sex in the story is fairly conventional.

So, would the audience in the Erotic Couplings category, for example, be OK with something with a little magic and fantasy or would the audience in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy category be OK with something that doesn't have masses of magic and fantasy? Which is more likely to bring this story to an appropriate audience?

It sounds as if it's author's choice. If the moderators feel your choice is wrong, trust me: they'll automatically change it. So, you're covered either way.

Thanks. I've submitted it as Erotic Coupling. Like you say, if the mods think it belongs somewhere else, they'll move it.

Thanks. I've submitted it as Erotic Coupling. Like you say, if the mods think it belongs somewhere else, they'll move it.

FWIW, I've submitted a few romance stories (Make a Wish, Unexpected Gifts, The Relationship Business) that have a fantasy or fantastical edge to them, but not so much as to fit into the Fantasy category. I submitted them as Romance and they stayed there. No one complained, so I'd say readers in Romance, and probably EC, don't mind a little bit of that.

Contest analysis - Valentine's Day Contest 2013

Good evening. The dolphins tell me that there are 40 stories in the competition to date, with an average score of 4.22 from an average of 304 votes. Stories had an average of 18,472 views, an average of 7 favorites, and an average of 10 comments. The average ratio of votes to views is 1.70%. The average number of pages is 2.8, with the longest story being 7 pages.

So far there have been a total of 11,557 votes, 738,895 views, 298 favorites and 432 comments.

The standard deviation of scores (from the average of 4.22) is 0.52 and the standard deviation of votes (from the average of 304) is 301. The median score is 4.37, the median number of votes is 166 and the median number of pages is 2. The top 25% of scores are 4.54 or above and the bottom 25% of scores are 3.95 or below.

Sweeps

Some votes have been reduced (swept) since the start of the competition. A total of 1 story has had its votes adjusted, with 0 sweeps resulting in a new score that day which is higher than before and 0 sweeps resulting in a new score that day which is lower. There were a total of 3 votes swept, being an average of 3 per swept story. The maximum number of votes swept for a single story was 3. (Figures based on toplists, and may not be totally accurate).

Categories entered (alphabetic order)

• Anal (2 stories)
  • BDSM (1 story)
  • Erotic Couplings (4 stories)
  • Fetish (1 story)
  • First Time (2 stories)
  • Gay Male (2 stories)
  • Incest/Taboo (6 stories)
  • Lesbian Sex (1 story)
  • Loving Wives (4 stories)
  • NonHuman (1 story)
  • Novels and Novellas (2 stories)
  • Romance (12 stories)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy (1 story)
  • Transsexuals & Crossdressers (1 story)

New stories today

Authors entered so far are:

BenLong, BrettJ, BuckyDuckman, carlieplum, Cndrlla69, DG Hear (2), geronimo_appleby (2), GirlintheMoon (2), glynndah, HeyAll, Ironiclaconic, JagFarlane, luvthedesserts (2), msgrant67, MSTarot, nicerack, OctavianEarth, pandybear311, qingming, RedHairedandFriendly, RjThoughts, SarahLove, Schaka, sexnovella, silkstockingslover, sirhugs, sr71plt (2), SusanJillParker, sweet_lusciousdesire, Totzman, Transverse, Tx Tall Tales, xelliebabex (2), YDB95

Disclaimer

Because of the way this site works these figures will not be totally up-to-date. For a given story the score shown on the category page, the author's page, and the toplists page, can all be different. Also it appears that various pages update at different times of the day, sometimes quite infrequently.

Please do not PM me asking for more detailed information. I do not wish to skew contest results by giving a target for voting manipulation.

Contest page: Valentine's Day Contest 2013

only 6 days left - bump

40 stories so far (with at least a few more on the way, according to posts here) and only six days left to submit. Isn't this a lower number than normal for the Valentine's Day Contest ?

But hopefully there will be a deluge of stories in the next few days. Good luck to all.

It's the lowest number I've seen in a while for any contest. But it sort of makes sense to me that Valentine's Day would attract fewer stories than usual. Most of us are accustomed to writing about sex rather than love, after all, and while it's easy enough to mix the two, concentrating on the latter instead of the former can be tricky when you're used to doing it the other way around.

40 stories so far (with at least a few more on the way, according to posts here) and only six days left to submit. Isn't this a lower number than normal for the Valentine's Day Contest ?

But hopefully there will be a deluge of stories in the next few days. Good luck to all.

I checked back and in 2009 there were approximately 98 stories.
In 2010 I coulted 88. So the stories are down for now but you never know what may happen in he next few days. I just enjoy the competition and roller coaster rides. To win is always a bonus.
Best of luck to everyone.
With Respect
DG Hear

My recollection is that this is usually one of the more popular contests. It's certainly easier to come up with plots that combine Valentine's Day with sex than Earth Day, Christmas, or Summer.

How much time do I have? I'm almost there, working with an editor doing segmented editing as I go. I'm literally neglecting work trying to get this done right. Where allowed to have beastiality right?

How much time do I have? I'm almost there, working with an editor doing segmented editing as I go. I'm literally neglecting work trying to get this done right. Where allowed to have beastiality right?

The deadline for submissions is Feb 5, and sometimes a day or two afterwards.

No, you can't have bestiality. You can have a werewolf (or other shapeshifter) who has sex with a human in human form, and sometimes in a hybrid form with a human (or another hybrid). But you cannot have a person having sex with an animal.

And you must know this after the time you've spent on the boards.

Back