The Gambler's Ruin - (Closed)

There he was again, staring down at her with those eyes and that...look. Wilson had never looked at her in such a way...he'd faked his adoration for her in the beginning...charmed with looks and money. But Martin wasn't all shine and glitter. He didn't throw his money around or make himself out to be something he wasn't. When he looked at her with those eyes, she felt something inside her melt and her insides quivered. It was a different and unfamiliar feeling.

"O-of course." She said, stuttering slightly and flushing. "I would be happy to."

With a small smile, she stepped away and hurried along to join Millie at the candy shop. Her nose was practically pressed to the glass as she regarded all the goodies and Kate laughed, slipping her arm around her elbow and grinning.

"Candy will make you fat, so I'm told. There was a madam at one of the saloons I stayed at once...she was as big as a house and always eating chocolates."Kate told her and Millie rolled her eyes and giggled, then turned and whispered in Kate's ear cheekily.

Kate gasped and flushed, laughing. "Well I never!" Her sister had just suggested that she gained a few to add a little more curvature to her frame, but instead of being offended, Kate couldn't help but keep on laughing. "I'm going to tell Derry what a brat you are!"

Millie giggled and tugged her along and the two vanished into the candy store to make their selection.
 
Martin watched the two as Kate met up with Millie at the candy shop. He smiled and sighed happilly before getting back on the wagon and driving it up to where Derry would be gathering the bags of feed. He pulled up as Derry set down a bag and hopped down to help him toss them into the back of the wagon. He didn't say a word, but Derry took one look at him and could somehow knew something was troubling him dispite his relaxed smile.

"What's troubling you, Young Martin? Afraid Miss Katherine won't come around? Or is it your feelings for her?" Derry asked, matter of factly as he went to pick up another bag. Martin began loading the wagon with what Derry had already brought over. He laughed and shook his head. "Kate just needs her space. And as far as me... I'm... I don't know... Seeing her in Maeridd's cloths... It doesn't feel right the way I feel about her. And that's not all, last night, I woke and I saw Millie sneaking out with her some time after dark. I waited up for them to return and... There was something about Kate, so familiar... I think I startled them a little, being up, waiting for them. I was worried about them, but the moment I saw them, I knew everything was fine, that everything would be fine."

Derry nodded and listened, a knowing smile forming on his lips. He knew exactly where they'd gone, and had an idea what they'd done, but he'd promised long ago not to reveal the place, or its purpose to anyone, even Martin. That was meant for the Dugan women to share when they felt one was trusted enough to know.

"So, you're troubled that you're projecting your feelings for my daughter onto Miss Katherine? There's no doubt that she's got that inner strength of will in her, but she's sure a timid little thing. I wouldn't fret overly much Young Martin, take your time and you'll get to know her for who she is and I'm sure everything else will come along and fall into place. I like her, Martin, she's a fine cook and easy to make blush, and she's done Little Millie a world of good. Just be yourself and try not to worry so much, things will be fine."

Martin stopped loading for a moment and turned to face Derry with a greatful smile. "Thank you Derry." He said. "My pleasure, Young Martin... There's something else, isn't there?" He asked, reading Martin's eyes. "Someone we aught to be on the look out for?" Martin nodded and frowned. "Yeah, I kind of stole her away from her husband..." Martin admited with a frown. Derry chuckled and shook his head. "You do have a strange way with the ladies, Young Martin... First you steal a horse, now you steal a bride. How soon do you figure her man will find her?"

"I don't know, we left town the opposite way and rode to the river to hide our tracks and then circled back around. With any luck, he'll waste a few months looking for her in the wrong territory before comming back this way. He's bound to find out my name then and come gunning for me... To be honest, I'm not really sure what to do... I should have laid him to rest when I had the chance."

Derry shook his head. "You're not a murderer, Martin, it seems to me you did the right thing all around. We'll deal is what we'll do, no sense letting fear rule you. That just gives the man..." "Wilson..." Martin interjected. "Wilson a hand over you, is all. We'll keep our eyes and ears open, thats really the best we can do for now, son."

Martin sighed and nodded, comming over to help Derry load the last few bags of feed onto the wagon. Derry paid the shop keep and the two of them got on the wagon and rode back to the center of town. "We've got awhile, why don't you go ask the sheriff if he'll keep an eye out for folk that look like Wilson, maybe we can get a heads up if he comes into town asking bout you." Derry suggested. "I'll go check in on the ladies."

Martin headed to the sheriff's office and Derry went up to the candy shop, whistling an old irish tune.
 
Kate and Millie were just heading out when Derry made his appearance, grinning at Millie and Kate who both held a bag of mixed goodies. Millie was all smiles and Kate looked on happily. “I think she may have gotten some of everything. I don't know how Martin affords it.” She teased.

Derry chuckled and Kate only grinned all the more when Millie cast her a mock glare. “So...would it still be alright to go and see what materials they have, Derry?”

“For certain, Katherine.” He said, “It would be my pleasure to escort two beautiful ladies.”

With one on each arm, Derry strutted down the board walk until they reached their destination and then hung outside, lighting a cigar as Kate and Millie went to pick out some new material for a dress or two to get Kate started on a new wardrobe. While Maerrid's clothes were beautiful, Kate still Mill feel as though they were 'hers'.

Millie pointed to all the pretty materials and Kate eyed the prices, shaking her head in dismay, but Millie just rolled her eyes and popped a candy in her mouth, pointing to the shop owner who knew the girl and Martin. “Will this be on Martin's tab?” The older woman asked kindly and Millie nodded.

“I just wanted enough for maybe two dresses.”

The seamstress smiled, “Trust me child, you could make a hundred and you'd be fine. Choose what you'd like and we'll get you set for a wardrobe.”

Kate bit her lip and glanced at Millie who was eying a pretty green shimmery material that would offset her hair perfectly. “Well...alright then...”
 
Millie pointed out several bolts of material for Kate to use with her youthful exhuberance as they shopped together. Martin joined Derry out front and sat with him while the two enjoyed themselves inside. The seemstress offered to make her something special if she liked, pulling a measuring tape from her apron. Millie squeaked and tugged on Kate's dress, nodding enthusiasticly. The matronly woman laughed softly. "It looks like thats a yes." She said with a smile, motioning them politely behind a changing screen.
 
Kate reluctantly followed the older lady inside the dressing room and let herself be measured, relieved when she let her keep her underclothes on. The older woman clucked at the state of her underthings as well and made note to make her several pairs as well to go with her new wardrobe. “The dress and under things will be ready in the next couple of days.”

Kate nodded and dressed back up in a hurry, leaving the dressing area and joining Millie up who had stacked the bolts of material onto the counter and made a list of all they would need. The matronly lady smiled with pleasure. “I'll have all this delivered by the end of the day. Thank you for your business ladies.”

Kate cast her new friend and sister a worried look. “Are you sure we didn't get too much? I don't want to upset Martin.”

Millie giggled and looked completely at ease with it all, so Kate tried to relax as they left the shop and met the men outside. Instantly Martin stood and smiled, offering his arm. “I'm afraid Millie may have bought out the store...which was not my intention. I hope that's alright.”
 
Derry chuckled, knowing that Martin would be more at ease once Kate wore her own cloths, but didn't say anything. "I'm happy if you're happy, Kate." Martin said, giving her a wholesome smile as they all walked to the wagon. "Do you have anything else you'd like to do while we're here in town?" He asked before giving her a hand up into the wagon's bench seat.
 
Kate shook her head, feeling bad enough that they had spent so much on clothing and fabric. She took his hand and let him hoist her up. His hands firm, but gentle, making sure she didn't hurt her.

"I think Millie bought her wight in sugar...we may have to let out a few dresses by the end of the week." She teased and let out a little yelp when Millie poked her side. Her expression quickly changed to one of concern and Kate giggled. "I'm fine..."

With the group assembled again, they took off for home, Kate once again pressed up against Martin with little choice, but not minding too much. "What does the rest of the day hold then?"
 
"Well, Martin needs me to go light up my old forge, you ladies are welcome to keep me company..." Derry said glancing over at them with an aloof look until Millie gasped and nodded excitedly, then he started to chuckle. Martin smiled at her reaction. "Sometimes he lets her douse the metal when he's done. She gets a thrill out of it."
 
“Sounds interesting.” Kate said and smiled, Millie was always so full of excitement, wearing her emotions and heart on her sleeve it seemed. It was strange seeing her like this after the night they had shared and how grown up and wise she had been then.

“I'd love to join you...Martin has told me some things and I'm interested to see how it all works.” She told Derry.

The rest of the trip was pleasant, but uneventful and Kate took the time to relax. Without realizing it, her body seemed to sink against Martin's warmth. Still tired from the long evening, she struggled to remain fully alert, but managed to keep awake. She was happy when they finally pulled up to the house and she was able to get down and start moving again, stifling a yawn.
 
"Well, you ladies have fun now, don't forget that our young mister Blake will be joining us for dinner tonight. I put the venison he brought us on ice this morning, we're going to eat well tonight." Martin said before leaving them with Derry at his forging hut. "I'll be back to pick the three of you up later on." He added as he drove the feed laden wagon off to unload it.

Derry led them into his shop and went about starting a large glowing fire in his kiln. Millie stared into the flames, mesmerized as he chuckled and continued to prepare things. "So, Martin tells me the two of you snuck out last night." He said, looking up at Kate with a smile. "I'm guessing she took you to the forest grove?" He asked, seeing the surprise on Kates face. "Oh yes, I've been there myself a hand full of times. When I was a young buck, Maeve... Well... I
 
"Well, you ladies have fun now, don't forget that our young mister Blake will be joining us for dinner tonight. I put the venison he brought us on ice this morning, we're going to eat well tonight." Martin said before leaving them with Derry at his forging hut. "I'll be back to pick the three of you up later on." He added as he drove the feed laden wagon off to unload it.

Derry led them into his shop and went about starting a large glowing fire in his kiln. Millie stared into the flames, mesmerized as he chuckled and continued to prepare things. "So, Martin tells me the two of you snuck out last night." He said, looking up at Kate with a smile.

"I'm guessing she took you to the forest grove?" He asked, seeing the surprise on Kates face. "Oh yes, I've been there myself a hand full of times. When I was a young buck, Maeve... Well... I'll spare you the details, suffice it to say that we had both our daughters because of those visits to the grove..." Derry smiled broadly at the memories flowing through his head.
 
Kate didn't know what to say. Did Martin know of the place as well? "It's beautiful there. I feel honored that Millie shared it with me. And much more." She said with a bit of a shy smile.

Derry nodded. "Millie knows a good soul when she meets one. She has taken a shine to you...as we all have. Question is...how do you feel?"

Kate could tell that he wasn't just referring to Martin. "I..." she began, pausing to gather her thoughts. "I am greatful foe this second chance. I feel like this is my home now, but I make no promises for the future...Martin knows why..."
 
Derry nodded with understanding, but his old eyes grew glossy as he looked away all the same. "Well, no sense dwelling on a future that hasn't been written yet, lass. Just enjoy each and every day you have." He said with a sigh as he pulled the glowing block of steel out with his tongs and placed it on an anvil. He held it in place using the tongs and began forming it into a u shape with a solid, well worn hammer. Millie had followed the glowing metal with her shining eyes as though she were a moth mesmerized by flame. She found her way over next to Kate and propped her chin on her hands as she watched Derry work. He glanced up at her between swings and smirked. "Don't get too near, my little Firebug." He teased her. She krinkled her nose and drew back a little bit, pressing into Kate's side as she avoided a stray spark from Derry's work.
 
She wad touched by Derry's emotions and slung an arm around Millie. Her mind spun again. It was clear that they wanted Kate to stay. They wanted their family whole again. This both warmed and scared her. Especially wen it came to Martin. She wasn't his wife. Could never be her, alghough she craved all he offered her.

She tried to enjoy what Derry was showing them, but her mind kept drifting back to Wilson and to Martin. She drew in a deep breath and tried to distract herself. Blake woukd be over soon enough, taking some of the attention away from her.
 
Derry took his time crafting a full set of four horse shoes, allowing Millie to take each one and dip it in a barrel of water to cool. She thrilled to watch the water bubble and the metal hiss each time she got to dip the super hot metal in the water, using the tongs. Derry chuckled as he finished working on the shoes. Martin had just returned as Derry put out the fire in his kiln.
 
Kate followed Mille out and joined Martin and Derry back on the cart. Everyone was a little quiet and Kate was more than happy to get back home. Young Blake was already standing by the door, nervously pacing and clutching his hand to his side when the drew up and Kate found herself smiling, giving Martin a little nudge.

“Well looks like someone is hungry. Millie maybe you should go change real quick and then get some cool for Blake to drink. I think I'm going to employ Martin's assistance in the kitchen while you two enjoy the early evening on the porch.”

Derry chuckled at Millie's sudden strong blush and Kate only smile and tucked a lock of hair behind the girls ear. Back at the house, everyone filed out and Kate gave Blake a friendly wave and smile, moving past him to go clean herself up. “Make yourself comfortable Blake. We're just going to clean up real quick.”

Millie shot past and up the stairs in a hurry and Kate laughed, moving to the kitchen to wash her hands. The men exchanged friendly words and Kate pulled out some potatoes to start peeling them.
 
Derry took a seat on the porch and lit up a pipe, casually chatting with Blake while everyone else was busy. Martin excused himself and washed his hands after kate and helped her with whatever she needed. "This should be interesting." He said, nodding toward Blake, who looked rather nervous. "Poor boy, he's so uncertain what to do or say... It can't be any easier for Millie, being the way she is, bless her." He watched Derry puff on his pipe while staring the boy down and chuckled. "Derry's not going to make it easy for Ryder, I think."
 
Kate smiled, “Oh...I think Millie will do just fine.” She said and left it at that, glancing over at Derry. “I can't blame Derry for being protective. I would be too if she were my child. She's a sweetheart...with a big heart. I think she truly likes Blake...she's just...unsure.”

The words rang true for Kate's feelings towards Martin. How could she trust herself to well...trust again? Together they worked as a team, without much effort at all as though they had been doing it for years. Millie came down soon after they had started, wearing a pretty green dress, her hair was brushed and braided in a thick rope that hung over one shoulder and she looked nervously between Kate and Martin and Derry and Blake.

Kate smiled and waved her on, her eyes soft and encouraging and smile sweet. Millie moved, her hands nervously clasped together as she went to the porch. Turning back to Martin, she sniffed the air and sighed. “Smells good. Maybe I should just let you do all the cooking from now on.” She teased.
 
"I think we'd all get sick of meat and potatoes after awhile." Martin joked with a broad smile. "I'd enjoy helping you more often though." He added, shifting his gaze out the kitchen window to watch Millie and Blake. Derry finished his pipe and excused himself so that the two of them had some time to themselves, satisfied that he'd impressed his presence upon the boy enough that he would not dare to be uncouth in any way with Millie. He came in the kitchen with a subtle grin on his face and stretched, groaning from the stiffness in his muscles, due to his work in the shop.

Martin turned and nodded to Derry. "So, did you put the fear of god into Young Ryder, or what, you old goat?" Martin joked as he helped Kate peel potatoes. Derry chuckled and winced from a sore muscle as he took a seat. "To be sure, Young Martin. Didn't even have to say a word." He smiled as he massaged his own shoulder. "You look a little sore..." Martin noted. "Ach, just a wee bit out of practice is all. I'll be fine." Derry replied. "Here, pass me over some of those spuds, I'd like to help." He added.
 
An hour later and.the table was set, the meal prepared and Derry was dishing out the grub. Blake sat next to Millie, Martin next to Kate and Derry at the table. "Thank you again for bringing us this fresh game, Blake." Kate said, taking a bite of her food.

"Yes ma'am. No problem." He beamed then nervously glanced over at Maryin and Derry. "After dinner, with your permision, I would love to take Millie on walk...just around front w-where you could see us of course."

Derry glanced at Millie who blushed, but noddes slightly, a small smile playing on her soft lips. "I gather that would be fine."

"Thank you sir." Blake gushed and then added, "Oh and my Ma and Pa wanted to congratulate you and Ms. Kate."

Confused Kate looked up with a curious expression. "For?"

"Oh. Ma said several folks in town said you two were getting hitched."

Kate gaped and flushed, speechless for a moment.
 
Martin gently patted Kate's thigh under the table as he chuckled softly, shaking his head over the whole misunderstanding. Derry laughed as well. "Can't blame folks for assuming, the two of you look good together. Come now, don't let it bother you, just politely correct them and move on." He said, offering his personal wisdom.

Blake shrunk in his seat for a moment, realizing his mistake again. "I'm very sorry Miss Kate. It's just, well, Mister Dugan is right, you two do look like a fine couple. I suppose its just easy to assume such things. I hope you'll forgive my brashness." He glanced over at Millie for a second, blushing a little. Millie caught his glance and immediatly blushed as well, looking away quickly, but snuck a glance back at him with the hint of a smile while he wasn't looking.

Martin's hand lingered on Kate's thigh for a moment, warming her through her dress. He seemed to sense that his touch was making her slightly uncomfortable and removed it, clearing his throat as he reached for the plate of steaks. He took one and put it on his plate, offering Kate her choice next, then passed it down the table one way while taking some potatoes and sending them down the other.
 
Kate nodded, “No harm done...” She murmured. With Martin's hand on her thigh, his heat burning right through her dress, she had a hard time saying much else, letting it go and breathing more easily when he removed it. Strangely, beneath where he'd touched, her skin tingled to life, making her shift a little as she took the plate Martin offered and took her piece, then passed it over to Blake, repeating the process with the potatoes and the green beans.

Soon the sound of a meal being eaten filled the air, clatter of knives and forks, easy conversation and laughter. Kate relaxed, forgetting about her worries until they were done. Kate excused herself to make coffee while the boys cleared the table and Blake took Millie's hand with a shy smile.

She looked nervous, but let him tug her to the door, her fingers curling against his hand as she smiled timidly. “Don't wander off too far now!” Kate warned playfully and grinned as Blake almost stumbled over his own feet getting to the door.

They were so sweet, young and innocent. It was hard not to feel a pang of envy. How she missed her innocence. From behind she heard Derry speak up and flesh her cheeks heat up. “Perhaps you should take Kate on a walk...I think the fresh air might do the young lass some good.”
 
Martin looked up as he sat dishes in the washing basin. "How about it Kate? The sunsets out here are really something to see." He asked, giving Derry an appreciative nod for the suggestion before laying eyes on Kate.

Blake tried to think of stuff to chat about with Millie, but just kept comming back to what he knew best... Hunting. Millie let him go on for a few minutes, but sprung to life without warning and playfully dashed off a few feet ahead of Blake, taunting him to try and chase her. He was a little unsure of himself at first, fearing he'd said something that upset her, but after she dashed off a few more times he warmed to the little game and started to chase after her through the yard. He lost his hat, trying to catch it as he ran after her while she squeal and giggled. He couldn't help but laugh as well.
 
(Posting on behalf of EklectikChik)

Kate hesitated a moment, but then nodded. “Sure.” She said softly and
together they moved out of the kitchen and to the porch. For a
moment, she paused and gazed at the two young love birds chasing each
other and let out a soft laugh. “Well...seems as though Millie is
having a bit of fun. I'm not sure Blake will truly be able to catch
her.” She said and smiled up at Martin who himself grinned at the
spectacle. It was good to have laughter on the ranch again.

“I guess we should walk the other way then...before we get caught up
in the chase.” She suggested, walking down the short steps of the
porch. She felt strangely nervous and wiped her damp hands against her
skirts as she heard his footsteps fall in next to hers.

Away from all the commotion, Kate relaxed her shoulders and rubbed the
tender cut on her palm as she found herself thinking about their
situation. Where was this all leading to? “Martin...may I...ask you
something?”
 
"He might, just have to wear her out first." Martin said with a chuckle as he watched them race around the trunk of a tree, Millie so quick that she peeked around and stuck her tongue out at Young Ryder before dashing off the other way. He walked with Kate away from the two, leaving them to their innocent fun. "Of course, Kate, what is it?" Martin answered, looking at her with an easy smile as they walked.
 
Back
Top