What is your "Lit Legacy"?

If things stick to the plan my tales, henceforth, will treat the dominant political parties as gangs fighting for control of a mythical city like Chicago a la Capone/Moran. All the characters will be bad actors and worse. I wanna be remembered for being over the top offensive to all.

Sounds like fun. Reminds me of an original Star Trek episode about a civilization that developed into a 20s gangster based culture all because of a book about the old Chicago gangs that got left there hundreds of years before.

The leaders of what passed for government were all gangsters who had established large territories.

I'm not a Trekkie, really. I just got exposed to it at an impressionable age.

Sounds like fun. Reminds me of an original Star Trek episode about a civilization that developed into a 20s gangster based culture all because of a book about the old Chicago gangs that got left there hundreds of years before.

The leaders of what passed for government were all gangsters who had established large territories.

Except that the Star Trek episodes actually got written. :D

Heh, heh, heh, I missed many folks I think.

You seem to have two that strike me. Absolute creativity and power. I'm often left wondering how the wheels turn in your head because the concepts seem so simple and yet so creatively original. And usually, it reads so smooth that I think it's just coasting along, and before long I have to sit in deep thought about some shocker you wrote, or some "deeper level shit".

Complex Simplicity? I guess? The concepts are what I think of usually. Last Halloween? Bag snatchers? That was kind of like genius and creepy. I just tried to shake looking down at the trick or treaters, and spotting a couple that were something else....

I have like a Homer Simpson moment sometimes when I run across these creative concepts. It's like, "mutha fucker, why didn't I think of something that cool?"

What SC said. MST has knocked me over repeatedly with the power of his tales. I'll add meticulous research to the MST list though.

Hmm. I could add thoughts I suppose.

PennLady I've touched on. Rhythm and the Blue Line. I don't like romances, it's just not my thing. I heard you talking about it and thought what the hell. Tried it and loved it actually. So to write something that connects to the reader even beyond preferences is a strong trait for an author. That's your legacy for me. To build bridges with quality.

LC68. Yours is reality for me. Even you have spoken of your own ability of "down to earth writing". Whether its reality with SWB, the kind that is real whether you want it or not, or just an easy going read that's very relatable, your legacy for me is the ability to feel like I'm reading something real and plausible, without jumping through hoops. Your writing is like sitting on the couch or riding a bike. It's natural, relatable, and in a language I easily understand. It's a natural talent that is appealing without trying. Kudos.

patientlee... yours is weaving. You may already know this. But it's a rare ability to take so many concepts, blend them into the same soup, and make them taste like they belong together. Every time I read something of yours, I always think "well I'm not interested in the concept" and then you deliver. You have a spellbinding technique that screams quality. I'm pretty sure you could make people fall in love with anything. That's your legacy for me.

Pilot. There's a flair of precision to your writing. I don't give a fuck what people say. There's this complexity to your setup that is surgical, and when it gets to the sex, it surprises you with bluntness. GM isn't exactly mainstream, even now, but when I read yours, it has this air of normalcy about the content that I forget the world around me. You make man on man seem just as natural as man on woman. You don't merely assume the sex is normal and found everyday, you insist and prove it. It's an aquired taste like beer, but I'll drink anyday because it pays off.

I dunno if you're there but Cruel2BKind (or however that's spelled). There's this nastiness, this "I don't wanna look but I gotta" to some of your work. Let's be honest, some of it ain't easy to read, and yet I come away feeling this incredible epiphany because of your writing. It's like a "glad I was there for that ride" kind of thing. That's powerful. You ride the line of wanting to look, and wanting to look away. That's great shit. Doesn't rake in viewers, but rakes in the right ones.

That's just a few. Great thread I think. Sometimes, we need to step back and examine what we've left in our wake.

I missed this before somehow. My work friend always reminds me of the time a friend was having a Tupperware party, and I convinced everyone there to buy a similar product from pampered chef. (I wasnt even selling pampered chef. I can make people fall in love with a can opener, I guess. I should be in sales.) Thank you for saying that. I try.

SC- your legacy here might be your Elysium series. The first two installments are very good, in that creepy, SCish kind of way.

Of course, you're probably better known in the AH for your excellent critiques. You identify strengths and weaknesses better than the writing teachers I know.

Most of my good, most commented on or high score stories have been taken down. I left the first chapter of God Mother up, it was the highest favorably commented on story I have had, except for Walker Brigade. Both took me a long time to finish and polish.

Walker was a novel length military Sci-Fi adventure.

God Mother was a story about a young man falling in love with his God Mother, then finding out she was his second cousin. It was a period piece, set in the '60s.

Both scored rather well when the were here. Both are selling fairly well.

My legacy...I don't know, I'll let others define that. All I care about is that perhaps I made someone think a little differently.

I don't think I've written it yet. One can hope...

:) Exactly my position.

My great and awesome magnum opus - the amazing novel that will move a stone to tears and give even the pope a hard-on... the literary masterpiece that will net me a nomination for the Nobel Price in the "smut" category - has yet to claw it's way out of my fertile mind.

The best is yet to come... I hope...

No clue. If I base it on continuous response long after the story posted, it's either Danica or my Magic of the Wood series. They're about even in that department.

It's probably "generational" in a way, too. A lot of people from years ago may remember me as much for Laresa as anything. For others, it could be LST3K.

No clue. If I base it on continuous response long after the story posted, it's either Danica or my Magic of the Wood series. They're about even in that department.

It's probably "generational" in a way, too. A lot of people from years ago may remember me as much for Laresa as anything. For others, it could be LST3K.

I always think of the LST3K stories, but the thing there is people have to know what MST3K was to really appreciate them and that's pretty much a geek thing.

Also reminds me of Gotham. You had Batman and all his adversaries and their gangs (back in the early days) Riddler, Penguin, Joker and all their goons dressed like them.

:) Exactly my position.

My great and awesome magnum opus - the amazing novel that will move a stone to tears and give even the pope a hard-on... the literary masterpiece that will net me a nomination for the Nobel Price in the "smut" category - has yet to claw it's way out of my fertile mind.

The best is yet to come... I hope...

The pope and I await with great anticipation...

I echo Walkerlong

My best is yet to come. I hope I'm remembered for giving the odd few readers who stumble across my tales a bit of pleasure and excitement. :cool:

Lets get real, 99.99% of LIT tales are doomed to obscurity.

I've only seen a few comments where a woman has been flamed for writing in GM. Take a look at the comments on Patientlee's Lost Agnes since it was shifted over from the FAWC contest to GM. Those kind of comments are typical to a woman writer there. And you could hardly call either one of her main characters "effeminate."

The experiences I have personally seen from story and author favs, comments, and emails is that there is a pretty healthy mix of both gay men and straight women reading in the category.

Writing wise, out of the top ten most prolific list, seven are male, two female, and one trans.

I'm linking an author that has written a lot of .... bad erotica ... but whose books actually sell. He is my guilty pleasure. I know the book is going to be abysmal. I know the scenes are going to be mostly shallow. I KNOW its going to be bad ... and yet I still read the darn books. If I took the time to review them, I'd give them somewhere along a 2.0 to a 1.8 .... and yet I still read them. Why? Because its sci-fi and fantasy erotica and the world building is interesting.

Plus, dominant female supers.

I ... love ... strong sexy female leaders. It's enough to make me forgive all the sub-par scene building, hokey dialogue, cliche excuses and unreasonable promiscuity.

By god.... I'm hopeless! :)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Thaumatology

Montanos

Last edited:
Lets get real, 99.99% of LIT tales are doomed to obscurity.

True but your percentage is slightly too high.

Free Erotica published on other sites is even more likely to sink without trace.

Several of my stories struggled for years to get the minimum 10 votes, but those entered in recent contests passed 10 votes within the first couple of hours.

I'm linking an author that has written a lot of .... bad erotica ... but whose books actually sell. He is my guilty pleasure. I know the book is going to be abysmal. I know the scenes are going to be mostly shallow. I KNOW its going to be bad ... and yet I still read the darn books. If I took the time to review them, I'd give them somewhere along a 2.0 to a 1.8 .... and yet I still read them. Why? Because its sci-fi and fantasy erotica and the world building is interesting.

Plus, dominant female supers.

I ... love ... strong sexy female leaders. It's enough to make me forgive all the sub-par scene building, hokey dialogue, cliche excuses and unreasonable promiscuity.

By god.... I'm hopeless! :)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Thaumatology

Montanos

Guilty pleasure is the exact way to put it. Mine are really bad schlocky horror movies the kind you would see on those late night shows with a host dressed like Elvira or a vampire, the cheesier the better.

Guilty pleasure is the exact way to put it. Mine are really bad schlocky horror movies the kind you would see on those late night shows with a host dressed like Elvira or a vampire, the cheesier the better.

The other night we watched "The Pit and the Pendulum," from 1991, starring Lance Henriksen. He played Torquemada. Oh geez.

Oh fuck!

I'm almost crying right now for joy!

One of my stories is in the 100 most favorite stories on lit!

That's my legacy! Suck it, you Internet trolls!

I am a god!

The other night we watched "The Pit and the Pendulum," from 1991, starring Lance Henriksen. He played Torquemada. Oh geez.

Yes! I remember the boyfriend of the witch, sitting on the hot chair acting like it wasn't hot and one of his tormentors was dumb enough to take him out of it and sit on it himself.

Poor Lance, he's had some good ones, but he has his share of clunkers.

Pumpkinhead is the first one I always think of.

Oh fuck!

I am a god!

Good for you!

I have one at #64 and didn't realize it until someone else sent me a feedback mentioning it.

The cheesiest title I think I've ever come up with:rolleyes:

Last edited:
True but your percentage is slightly too high.

Free Erotica published on other sites is even more likely to sink without trace.

Several of my stories struggled for years to get the minimum 10 votes, but those entered in recent contests passed 10 votes within the first couple of hours.

You know what I mean. LIT stories don't linger like John O'Hara's erotica lingers. I read something by Philip Kerr, the other day, that made an impression. Sex isn't depicted in either story, both characters are minors, but each story packs a wallop that launches imagination.

Oh fuck!

I am a god!

Way to go Seth. :)

Yes! I remember the boyfriend of the witch, sitting on the hot chair acting like it wasn't hot and one of his tormentors was dumb enough to take him out of it and sit on it himself.

Poor Lance, he's had some good ones, but he has his share of clunkers.

Pumpkinhead is the first one I always think of.

Actually I think they took the guy out of the chair and he pushed someone into the chair. But it hardly makes a difference. Funny thing was I looked it up on IMDb and saw some of the user reviews, all of which were very positive (which is fine) and nearly all of which said this was Henriksen's career-best performance. I had to disagree with that, although he did a fair bit of chewing the scenery. :)

Actually I think they took the guy out of the chair and he pushed someone into the chair. But it hardly makes a difference. Funny thing was I looked it up on IMDb and saw some of the user reviews, all of which were very positive (which is fine) and nearly all of which said this was Henriksen's career-best performance. I had to disagree with that, although he did a fair bit of chewing the scenery. :)

One of the big bombs was stone cold with former nfl bust Brian Bosworth

I liked him in millenium

Back