The King and I (closed)

He smiled and took her hand in his, running his thumb over her knuckles,

"That would make me a very rich man."

He smiled at her, then looked at the entree

"Oh calamari, so thoughtful of you."

He picked up one of the deep fried pieces and popped it into his mouth,

"Of course not food fit for a king, but you know how I like to rock the boat."
 
Charlie actually blushed under his gaze as his thumb rubbed over the back of her hand. Dave had the ability to make her feel like the most important person in the world and it was one of the many reasons that she absolutely loved him.

“Well, you know me…I have to make sure that my King is happy.” She said with a smile, picking up a piece and popped it into her mouth as well. “And he better appreciate it because once he has a bride, it will be all about her.”
 
He chuckled,

"Well then perhaps it will be a good thing to be king for now and actually be treated like the king."

He picked up a fork and started to eat the light meal, it was without any sauce, just salt with lightly sprinkled lemon sauce.

"You really overdid yourself if this is a taste of what is to come."
 
Charlotte smiled brightly at his compliment. It meant a lot to her that he appreciated what she did.

“When it comes to you, Dave, it’s never too much.” She said softly, taking a sip of her wine before she helped herself to more of the meal. “I sincerely mean that.”
 
"Oh you are really impressing me Charlie."

He motioned around them,

"A different country, different people and you got this done in a few hours. You're quite remarkable. Or did you flash around your baroness ring?"

He made a show of studying her naked fingers,

"And why are you not wearing your ring?"

He grinned at her,

"Oh yes! You haven't received it yet."

From his pants' pocket he drew a little box, opening it he took out a seal-ring with the de Leon crest on it. Taking Charlotte's left hand he slid the ring over her middle finger, it was a perfect fit. He smirked,

"Seems like I know even the size of your fingers. Well now it's really official your highness. You have now been given your seal of state by your crown prince."
 
Charlotte was stunned when Dave produced a ring and slipped it over her finger, the crest of the de Leon estate flashing back at her from the beautiful gold colored ring. She looked up at Dave as he smirked and told her that he knew the size of her fingers.

“It’s beautiful, Donovan. Thank you.” She said in a quiet voice, admiring it in the light for a moment before she placed her hand back on the table and looked at him for a moment.

“And don’t think that I don’t know what it means now that you’ve officially made me the Duchess of de Leon.” She said, giving him an accusing look for a moment before laughing.
 
He arched an eyebrow,

"Oh really?"

He grinned,

"Are you saying that while doing my kingly duty I might have some ulterior motive?"

He rested his chin in the palm of his hand, staring at her,

"This I got to hear, what is the reason?"
 
Folding her arms, she placed them on the table and leaned forward, smiling at him as he stared at her.

“I think that you might want to marry me, Donovan.” Charlie said with a little grin on her face. “I don’t know how I got that impression…”
 
He rubbed his thumb and forefinger over his jaw,

"Hmm, quite an interesting prospect you have there, we must really explore further why you would come to such a conclusion."

He gave her a cheeky grin,

"So Charlie, what proof do you have that brings you to said conclusion?"
 
“Well, my crowned prince made me a duchess. He has professed his love for me. And he isn’t even looking at the prospective princess that he came to a foreign country to court.” Charlie said, a smile on her lips at their little game of cat and mouse.

“Unless I am completely wrong and am heading towards a broken heart.” She asked, her eyes locking on his and waiting for a long moment for his answer.
 
His eyes brightened,

"Ah is that why I'm here? To court the smart, raven haired princess? I was under the influence that I came here to strengthen bonds with our neighbors."

He smiled slightly,

"Now why would I want to break your precious heart hmm? I think we will have to wait and see if you like the other ring I have back home before we can talk of broken hearts and married men."

He grinned and sat back as the waiter approached with the main course,

"Now this promises to be a treat."
 
“I can only hope that neither of us ends up with a broken heart, Donovan.” Charlie said with a small smile on her face as he talked about another ring that she might enjoy. “I do not need a big flashy piece of jewelry to appease me. Something simple would suffice.”

Glancing at the waited as he approached, she sat back in her chair, her mouth watering at the sight of the lobster and crab that were on their plates. She looked across the table at Dave and gave him a smile, hoping that he was enjoying that night just as much as she was.
 
"Well it seems like you have decided on an ocean platter for the evening on the boat."

He smiled,

"Is there at least some vitamins you to prevent scurvy?"

He winked and grinned at her,

"Ah seems like you have remembered the sauce."

He chuckled,

"You know really just how to treat the prospecting king, seems like you will have to be my most favorite subject."
 
“I think I am already your most favorite subject.” Charlie said, laughing softly at their back and forth banter as she began to eat. “After all, without me you’d be lost.”

The evening between them was going perfect and Charlotte for the first time saw Dave as the man that had captured her heart, instead of the friend that she loved dearly. She didn’t know if she could tell him that just yet though.

“Dave…” She started, a deep breath sucked in before she slowly let it out. “I do love you very much.”
 
He chuckled,

"Of course, who else would have the guts to come kick me out of bed early enough to wake the birds and still tell me they love my dog better than me."

He took a fork-full of his crab with some sauce and looked at her as she said his name, luckily he swallowed before her other words followed and he smiled at her, reaching out to grasp her hand,

"At least we now know the feeling is mutual."
 
Charlotte smiled widely as he reached out and took her hand, squeezing it a he returned her words of affection. It was nice to know that he felt the same way, but she supposed that she always knew that.

“Don’t get all sappy on me. After all, you still have another day left here where you have to talk to your princess.” She said with a smile.
 
He chuckled,

"She is rather smart, she did pick up that there is more between us than just prince and his aide, but she did say if I gave her a chance she could make me happy."

He grinned,

"I told her that if she gets the chance she should take it, little does she know that accepting the courtship of young James would make me happy."
 
Charlotte laughed softly as he told her that the Princess held no attraction. It made her feel special in a way that he loved her enough to push aside prospective relations between the two kingdoms.

“Oh, I forgot to tell you that your sisters will be back at the palace when we return. It seems that their school semester has ended a bit early.” She knew that his relationship with his sisters was a little love-hate. He loved them fiercely, but like his father, he held them to extremely high standards.
 
He humphed in reply to her telling him of his sisters,

"Perhaps I should send them here as well, learn how to be a proper princess."

He knew that it sounded crass, but they just seemed to be happy to lounge through life as royals and never try to make something out of their lives. But of course he would beat up anybody who would talk ill of them.
 
“Dave…” Charlie started as she could see him getting riled up at the mention of his sisters. “They’re young still. Give them time to grow out of this rebellious stage and I’m sure they’ll be just fine.”

She didn’t know if the Princesses would ever really grow out of anything. They had been hellions when they were younger, terrorizing members of the household. The king had sent them to boarding school when they were of age, only to have to take them back when they were kicked out of two different facilities.

It had been a decision of the Queen when Dave had taken power to keep him in the dark about the indiscretions that landed his sisters on the front pages of every gossip magazine in the country. She was sure that he knew, but Charlotte didn’t want to add stress to his already over burdened shoulders.
 
He eyed her,

"Really Charlie? Do you really think that they will outgrow this rebellious stage? They have been like this since I can remember them being able to walk."

He had more to say, but it was best to keep his mouth on certain aspects, it would just sour the evening. Instead he grinned at her,

"I hope you organized music for us, that deck looks mighty inviting."
 
Charlie watched Dave’s anger rise and she knew that he didn’t like talking about his sisters. Well, there was always that hope that they would straighten out, but maybe it was just a dream. Perhaps now that Dave was king, they would finally see the light.

“Oh…music? Well, no, I hadn’t thought about that.” Charlie said with a blush on her cheeks. “You know how horrible I am at dancing, Donovan.”
 
He chuckled,

"You're only horrible in your own eyes my dear."

He winked one of the security detail closer, having a quick discussion and the guard left. Donovan turned his attention back to Charlotte and the meal set out in front of him.

"I am sure that you are much better versed in the use of it as you give yourself credit for."

He finished his meal and sat back, toying with the butter knife,

"Now I'm curious, what will you have in store for desert? A boat, candles, a pretty dress and good food. Are you trying to woe me dutches de Leon?"
 
“I know the only way to your heart is through good food and a pretty dress.” Charlie said, smiling at Donovan as he asked what was for dessert. “And of course, I had them prepare your favorite.”

Glancing towards the waiters, she motioned to have them come with the final course, looking to Dave with an expectant look upon her face.
 
He arched an eyebrow,

"And what will be hidden under that silver lids my dear?"

The waiter laid the plates down and he looked over at Charlie,

"I swear if this is what I think it is, you're dancing tonight."
 
Back
Top