Editing help

bone251

Literotica Guru
Joined
Sep 6, 2001
Posts
2,880
Just had a story bounce. The 4th chapter. I missed some punctuation at the end of sentences with quotes, simple enough.
But I also got a comment back about making your story talk. I have several times that is seems to me the person that is talking is obvious so I did not clutter the story with "she said..he said' every single time?
I have three people in the story. One guy and two girls. One is in charge and the other girl is a sub.
Should I go with every quote is labeled to a person?
:rose:
 
Or you could use the person name being spoken to in the dialog. That way the response from that person doesn't need a she said.
 
I always forget the punctuation in quotes...like always!

It is hard when you have more than two people talking to keep them straight in a conversation without using xxx said after every quote. But then that sounds so redundant after the first few times.
 
Or you could use the person name being spoken to in the dialog. That way the response from that person doesn't need a she said.

But that can sound unnatural. People don't use the names of people in the room - they just look at them and talk, unless there's emphasis needed.

Usually I'll resort to actions. Example:

Mike stared at Kim. "You can't be serious."

Kim smiled, slowly and wickedly. "Oh, I am. And you can manage it, can't you, Jane."

"I..."

"Of course you can. A whole avocado. You can do it."

Jane whimpered, looking at it. "It's so... big."

"You don't have to eat the pit, dear."

"But..."

Kim put a bottle of ranch dressing on the table.

Mike blanched. "Be serious. A teasooon of that stuff is like 100 calories."

Jane whimpered. "Please..."
 
When more than two characters are in a discussion, yes, you'll need more frequent speaker tags to keep straight who's saying what.
 
Back
Top