Working The Starways (Closed for Iscaa)

Khadaji2002

Literotica Guru
Jason DeBois watched the last of the cargo off-loaded onto the dock for the client's inspection. Now came the moment of truth. Was this one honest or would he try to cheat? Jason had already ordered the steward into the dorsal turret with instructions to have it pointed near the client's vehicle. Not at it, no need to be rude. But close enough to blast it into next week if something went wrong.

Jason came down the ramp from the converted scout courier he owned. It began service as a long-range exploration vessel. When he'd taken it in lieu of his pension he'd finangled getting some modifications done. With the sacrifice of some fuel bunkerage he'd gotten four small 'staterooms' put in with a communal refresher suite to share between them. The cargo deck had been expanded at the cost of smaller engines. She wouldn't go the length of known space in one go anymore, but she could carry passengers and cargo along the way.

Once on the ground he went to the client with the manifest and the cred-reader. This exchange actually went smoothly for such things. The client quibbled a bit about condition, Jason pointed out everything was within contract spec, and the client swiped his cred-stick authorizing payment. Jason watched them drive off, then turned to his pursar. "Find us another cargo if you can. We've got the shipment to Lacuna already lined up, but it's less than half our tonnage. I'll see if anyone's looking for a ride to Lacuna, but that's going to be iffy. Not many are heading that way unless they're bound in-cluster toward the Center. Government control gets pretty tight the closer to the Center planets you get, and I'm not going closer than Lacuna."

With that he strode off to the portmaster's office to register his sale and post a notice looking for passengers bound to Lacuna. He was an average man in many ways: brown eyes, black hair, 5' 10". His frame reflected years of the miltiary now slowly trending to middle-age muscle tone loss. His hair was glossy, yet showed a strand of silver here and there. His skin, gleaming in the bright light of the planet's sun, looked like a cup of milk with a teaspoon of coffee stirred in and showed lines around his mouth and eyes where he smiled and frowned. He sighed as he walked, wondering if they'd find enough legal cargo to make the run to Lacuna. He knew a few people he could contact for...less than legal loads, but the risk would be higher. He prayed to whomever might be listening that he'd find a passenger or two. That would help the bottom line for sure.

<tag>

Name; Sive ( rhymes with five)
Nickname; Sive
Age; 27
Birthplace; unknown
Parents; unknown
Occupation; Con Artist, Jack of all trades has a way with words, (can sell a refrigerator to
an Eskimo, has also been known for being light fingered on occasion.)

Appearance;

Eyes; dark green
Height; 5 ft. 2 in.
Weight; 115 lbs.
Build; slim, athletic
Skin color; olive
Hair; dark brown, curly, half way down her back, ( usually worn in a pony-tail )
Other; tattoos, cat on right butt cheek ( don't ask ), one on left shoulder running
down her arm, and one on small of back wrapping around her waist ( Celtic symbol ).
Likes to wear tight fitting black leather outfits., and matching boots. ( showing lots
of Skin )

Personality;
What she lacks in size she makes up in her fiery temper.
Is intelligent and resourceful able to adapt to most situations.
Independent and brave to a fault.
Has a soft side that she hides with humor. Also uses humor in sticky situations.

Grew up on the shady part of town, mostly learning what she needed to know on
the streets. Got on the wrong side of the law a long time ago and has been running
ever since, picking up aliases on the way. She has excellent fighting skills with all
kinds of weapons from knives and swords to various laser weapons.

Attachments

• Sive ani.gif
    Sive ani.gif
    99.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
As Sive looked over her cards she tried not to show her nervousness, she was down to
her last credit. She causally looked for the nearest exit, if things went bad, she was going
to have to high tail it out of here pronto. She smiled looking at each of the players,
they were a rough bunch, she didn't want to have to find out just how rough. Her luck had
finally run out, when the cards were laid down, she came up short. The winner, Ricky owner
of the bar looked at Sive and grinned, " Pay up Short Stuff"

Sweat broke out on Sive's temples, but she smiled at Ricky and replied, " I don't have all
the credits on me, what do you take me for? An idiot? The rest of it's back in my room, I'll go
get them for you now." At this everybody at the table howled in laughter. Sive eyed the exit
again, suddenly she jumped up and bolted. Ricky reached out as she was just passing him,
grabbing her wrist and twisting it. " Ow! Ricky let go, you know I am good for the money I
owe you, just let me go to my room and get it." Again Ricky and his buds roared.

Standing up, he twisted Sive's arm behind her bringing her up against his big belly. His eyes
traveled to her cleavage," Oh yeah Short Stuff, you will pay me either with the credits you
owe me or I'll take it out in your hide. In fact how about some advance payment right now?"
Ricky licked his lips, " What do you guys think?" Another round of guffawing was heard.

She curled her lip at Ricky growling, " Don't call me Short Stuff, you pot bellied low life." She
struggled, until she got into the position she needed to bring her knee up with all the force
in her small body. Ricky fell to the floor like a giant jellyfish, moaning. Seconds later Sive
was making for the exit.

Running down the back lane, Sive knew she had to get off this planet, her luck had run out
and she still didn't have enough money to get her small ship the repairs it needed. Her only
option now was to find some kind of transport ship leaving soon, it didn't matter where it
was heading.

Sive heard running behind her, quickly looked back and saw two of Ricky's cronies in pursuit.
She turned and headed down a lane she was not familiar with, " Oh geezz, a dead end!"
Back against the wall she reached for the knife in her boot, preparing to face the thugs.

Walking to the portmaster's office involved going a block off the spaceport proper. Jason despised that fact as the block intervening was seedy. At best. Cheap bars, cheaper women, dealers all vied for the space available to relieve every inbound spacer of as many creds as possible as fast as possible. The unwary often found themselves koshed, or worse. In this place Jason wore his laser pistol and combat knife openly.

Then some young girl disappeared into an alley at a run, followed by two goons with harm on their minds. Without thought he stepped into the alley behind the two men who'd apparently missed (or dismissed) him. He watched the girl pull a knife from her boot. Gallant, but probably stupid. These two gorillas would take her toy away and work her over good by the looks of them. So, he acted.

Drawing his pistol he flipped the scabbard of his bowie knife open. "Don't move, boys or I'll laser you where you stand. Hands up!!" His voice cracked like a whip and they complied slowly, reluctantly. "Turn around if you think I'm bluffing." They both turned to him, faces crumpling a bit when they saw the weapon. It bore the marks of use and care, a soldier's weapon. "Now, I don't know why you're chasing the lady. Probably good enough reasons by your lights, but I'm not one to cotton a girl being whupped on by two grown men. If she owes someone something you can find her at the Tainted Angel, which is my ship. She's gonna stay there for a bit, and you're not going to hurt her, understand?"

He moved back to the opening of the alley, giving them room to leave without passing within arm's reach of him. "Now you boys get, and let whoever sicced you on the girl here know what just happened and where you can find her. Tell them if they come to the ship all business-like we'll talk. Now git!"

Once the goons cleared out he turned to the girl. "Now, lass, suppose you tell me what kind of trouble you've gotten into to have those two bruisers on your tail."

<tag>

"

While the men confronted each other, Sive has time to assess her would be savior. He had the
look of no nonsense about him. She put her knife back in her boot, trying to decide how to put
herself in the best possible light. Thinking if I play my cards right, this might just be my ticket out
of this hell hole. Damsel in distress? no he would see right through that one, hey ...I could be just
a defenseless gal, making her way across the galaxy, when those thugs tried to take all my credits.

No,... I guess my best bet would be to more or less tell the truth. “ Now , lass, suppose you tell
me what kind of trouble you've gotten into to have those two bruisers on your tail.”

Straightening up Sive looks up at the man, “ Thanks for getting me out of a sticky situation,
but I'm pretty sure I had everything under control. I mean, well thanks” Sticking out her hand,
“ Let's start again, Hi my name is Sive.”When he just looks her up and down, she brings her
hand back pretending to straighten out her vest. Lifting her eyebrow up, “ Are you at least going
to tell me your name ?” All she got for her efforts was a smirk.

“OK, have it your way, I was having a friendly game of cards with a bunch of the local guys,
when I noticed some pretty shady goings on. When all was said and done I seemed to have lost
my proverbial shirt to the owner of the bar. A low life known as Ricky. He thinks I owe him
500 credits but I don't, he was cheating I swear he was. But being alone, if I don't pay him,
he will sell me to one of the bounty hunters that come around every few months collecting
defenseless humans for slave labor. At least that's the story I have heard.”

" Do you really have a ship called the, " Tainted Angel?"

"Yes I do. How did you get here? You're as local as I am, girl. I know the locals well enough to know that they only try to cheat outsiders, never each other. I believe the playing cards bit, but I somehow doubt you're as innocent as you're trying to imply." He looks her over.

"Yep, you're dressed anything but like an innocent girl out for her first trip into the dark. You pulled that knife like you know how to use it. And you looked me over pretty sharp before you opened your mouth. So, your choice. Follow me to the portmaster's and back to the Angel, filling me in on how you got here and where you're going as truthfully as you can. Or deal with the fallout yourself."

He started for the portmaster's. He wouldn't let thugs tear apart a girl in an alley, but he wasn't about to be used either. If she wanted help, she'd work for it. Else she'd reap what she'd sown. Either way would be good for her long term.

<tag>

Running up along side him, Sive concluded that she was going to have to come clean , well
as clean as she ever gets. “OK, I'll tell you my story, only because I am in a tight spot right now
and could use some help.” He kept on walking so she kept on talking. “About 8 months ago I
was on my way to...well I was on my way, when some pirates attacked my ship, I call her
The Swift, anyways I was able to out run them, but took some damage in the process.

Luckily I spotted this poor excuse for a planet and with my expert piloting abilities was able
to bring my ship in, I am sure you saw it in the repair hangar when you passed by it. I have
been trying to come up with the credits to get her up and running ever since I crashed
...I mean landed here.”

“It's not easy trying to find employment on a planet like this. You wouldn't believe some of
the jobs I have had to take on just to have a room and feed myself, never mind trying to save
credits on the side.”

She looked at him to see if he was buying her story. She really did need to get off this planet,
maybe cozing up to him would be the way to go. “ The thing is , my ship took on a lot more
damage then I first thought, I don't have enough credits to even begin repairs. Until I do, I am
looking for a job. You wouldn't by any chance have an opening for a Jack of all trades on your
ship would you ?”

Sive put on her most charming smile now, waiting for his reaction.

Jason listened, pegging her as a born con artist in her first three sentences. Not the sort to bilk granny out of her savings, but still. Her story had a few holes in it even he could see.

"You're an expert pilot, then? Mind showing me your license? And what were you doing flying without a crew? No ship in these parts has fewer than three crew, and those are local miners harvesting asteroids. And any ship small enough to be crewed by one isn't likely to draw the kind of pirate that would shoot at the ship anyway. Catch it and enslave the persona aboard? Yes. Shoot at it? Nope. The former doesn't commit any crime unless the vic is caught, the latter can leave proof for the law to act on.

"I do believe you're in a tight spot, and I believe the difficulties you've found in getting work. But that's another point against your innocence you tried to claim a minute ago. Innocent girl on this rock would be snatched up right quick by one person or another. You're still walking around independent.

"So, tell me the truth once. Unvarnished. When we run your prints at the portmaster's office is anything going to pop? If it does you're going with the law on this rock and I'm going elsewhere."

This last was delivered as he opened the door for her and ushered her inside the office of the portmaster. He guided her to the front desk and greeted the clerk. "Jason DeBois, captain of the Tainted Angel. I just sold the cargo I'd told you about. Here's my bill-of-sale and the taxes owed on it." He handed over his cred-stick to be charged. "I'd also like to file notice for anyone leaving this planet in the direction of Lacuna that we have passenger slots open. And lastly I'd like to have this young lady's prints run. She's offered to join my crew and I'd like to know if she's legit."

<tag>

Damn his hide, he is smarter then I gave him credit for. Time for plan B. While scowling at the
good captain, Sive scratched behind her ear, activating the chip embedded under her skin, she
felt a general pulse run through her body. Smiling up at him, “ Of course I'm legit, where is the
print scanner?” The clerk pointed to it, with her eyebrow raised Sive passed her fingers
over the scanner, giving Jason a lopsided grin. Within seconds, the screen showed;

Name; Sive Skye
Race; Caucasian
Place of birth; Earth
Year; 2486
Occupation; Medic
License; one man scout ships
Location; unknown

Trying to keep the smirk off her face, Sive turns to Jason and says, “ Well, does that satisfy
your curiosity? I think I could be of use to you, since medical personal are always in demand.
” As for why I was piloting my ship alone I was transferring from a freighter to a transport
headed for the Center.

While she waited for his answer, her mind was going over anything she could have said to
make him think she was anything else but what she appeared to be. If he ever found out who
she really was, it could be all over for her. She had to stay hidden, there was just too much at stake.

Last edited:
"I wasn't curious about you at all, young lady. I'm looking out for me and mine. I'm not going to hire on a known thief, or murderer, or whatever knowingly. You missed the point of this exercise entirely." So saying, he walked out of the portmaster's headed back for the spaceport, wondering how desperate she really was.

Well, he'd find out in a minute, wouldn't he. If she stay there or disappeared, not that desperate. If she followed him, however, she was indeed in a tight spot. He was willing to help out, assuming she wasn't wanted for anything that would endanger his ship and crew. No need to invite the scorpion into your house, after all. Still waiting to hear her voice he continued to stride back to the ship at a fast clip.

<tag>

Sive could only watch dumbfounded as Jason left the portmaster's. Fuming she went after
him, practically skipping along side him she said, “ Look my friend, I didn't mean to offend you
back there, I really do need this job, you saw those goons, they won't stop coming after me
til I either pay up or they get their credits some other way.”

She shuddered as she finally realized that she was in way over her head now. Ricky and his hired
thugs were capable of making her pay in ways she didn't want to think about. She needed this
man's help to get off the planet, she looked up at him, “ Please you have to help me you know
what those men will do to me if they get their hands on me now.”

She suddenly stopped running along side Jason, wondering what she was going to do now.
She couldn't go back to get her things, they would probably be waiting for her. She didn't have
much, just a few changes of clothes, the important information was carried in her head. Still
all this running was getting to her. She wished she could find a safe place to park herself for
even a short time, with people she could trust. Where she could blend in, maybe even be happy
for a little while. She sighed looking lost and alone.

When she stopped trying to keep up, Jason stopped as well. "I already said you could come to the ship with me. But you need to realize who's in charge. You're not conning me. Not pulling a fast one. Not winning a spot with your charms. You screwed up. Your life may well be in danger. Your virtue, whatever little of that might be left, for sure is on the line. You need me not the other way around.

"Now, if any of what that reader said is true, yes we could find a useful spot for you. But out in the black you need to be able to count on the people around you. A weak link can kill the entire crew. So stop trying to slick your way in with me. Come aboard, I'll have Zlanta check you out on some basic medical stuff. Pass that and you can be our first responder/general dog's body. Complain once and we'll leave you at the next planet. Clear?"

Again, without bothering with eye contact he strode off the last several meters to the spaceport entrance.

<tag>

Sive watched as the Captain strode the last several meters and entered the spaceport. With
a big grin on her face she dashed after him. “ Thank you, you won't regret taking me on, you
won't find a better first responder then me, I promise.”

She continued walking beside Jason, looking at him again, she felt her body relax, it had been
a harrowing few hours, one she didn't want to go through again. In fact it had been a harrowing
8 months , trying to get it together to get off this awful planet. As they passed the repair hanger
Sive pointed out her little ship, “ There is The Swift, I know it looks in pretty bad shape, but
I will get it up and running one day.”

Just as they were coming up to the Angel Sive repeated, “ You won't regret taking me on,
and don't worry I am not a complainer. Oh, one more thing, I know your in charge Captain.”
With that she gave him the first honest smile since he laid eyes on her.

Jason grunted non-commitally. "You might be better off giving that ship up for now. Use it to pay off your debts and get free of this place with no one from here hounding you. Just a thought, though." He continued moving, up to the ship (the noseart was an angel with a tilted halo that looked dingy, somehow) indeed named Tainted Angel. Once inside the ship he led Sive to the common area where he toggled the intercom.

"Zlanta, I need you down in the common for some testing, if you're free." The voice on the other end confirmed she (he?) was and soon enough a woman appeared, fire-red hair up in a crested wave, dressed in bits and pieces of trooper armor that had all seen better days. "Zlanta, this is Sive. Assuming that's her real name, of course. She's slicker 'n owl shit, but claims she knows enough medical treatment to be our patch-it person. That would free you up for more time on the engines. If what she says is true. I'd suggested training vid 4 and a run through our infirmary. Oh, and don't let her steal any of the supplies. If she complains about your treatment I'll strip search her when you're done."

Jason headed forward, presumably toward the bridge. The crest of red hair pivoted to point at Sive and Zlanta said, "Well, best tell me naow if you can pass the EMT course. If you can't we best call him back. He's right tetchy 'baout stuff like that. If yer legit, he'll be willin' ta work with ya, but ah tell ya, chile. He ain't been this riled since we got cheated outta a bunch o' credits by someone he served with back in the War. What'd ya do, piss on 'im?" Zlanta shook her head, the hairstyle above her suggesting a tsunami about to break free and wreak havoc. As she talked Zlanta worked on a tablet, then slid it over to Sive.

"There's tha test. Take it right here and ah'll score it for yah. Ya sure ya kin pass it, girlie?"

<tag>

Sive looked at Jason when he talked about getting rid of the Swift, there was no way she
could be without her ship. She never knew when she would need to make a quick get away.
But she commented, “ I just might do that.” Once in the common area, her eyes took in all
the details as Jason so politely introduced Sive to Zlanta.

When Jason left, Sive glanced up at the red head, grinning lopsidedly, “ He is one hard
boiled dude isn't he? As for the EMT course, I can pass it.” Taking the tablet , she didn't
even bother to sit down, in record time, she had it filled out and slid it back to Zlanta. The
prospect of getting off the planet soon, caused Sive to forget her usual precautions. She
should have at least pretended to sweat a little over the test before handing it back. It just
felt so good to be getting into some kind of medical field again, she couldn't help but chuckle.

Still smiling to herself Sive noticed Zlanta frowning over the tablet. Her heart skipped a beat,
“Is there something wrong Zlanta?” Sive realized she should have made at least a few
mistakes to make it look like she was just an average medic. To try and cover herself she
hastily added, “ In my spare time I like to keep up on the latest medical reports.”

“Anyways, I really don't know what I could have done to piss off your Captain, he is kind
of crusty on the outside isn't he?” She hoped that comment would distract from the issue
of her having sailed through the test so easily.

Last edited:
Zlanta looked up from the tablet. "Latest medical reports....on this here piece of the beyond. Chile, y'all are tryin' way too hard. Ya evah tole someone tha truth, an' nothin' but? 'Round here that's tha best way ta get in good with the Captain. He's no plastah saint, but he's a man ah his word. Likes thangs simple-like. Naow. Y'all are more than qualified fer an EMT position. With this here score y'all should be in ah school Corewahrd ta be a doctah." She pocketed the tablet, her hairdo bobbing. She disappears for a few minutes, and Sive could hear voices from the forward part of the ship. Soon enough the tread of boots sounded on the decking, and Jason came back into the common room. He leaned up against the doorframe, studying her.

"Zlanta showed me the scores on that test. Now, I might think you cheated, but that's not likely. Not with Zlanta in the room the whole time. You might have memorized the test, but that would be nearly as impressive as the idea you really are that knowledgable." He unfolds his body from the doorframe and finally moves to sit across from her.

"Please do me a favor. Tell me about yourself. Keep the sales pitch to a minimum. I'm already curious bordering on impressed. Why would someone who can ace that kind of test in that kind of time be working out here in the black? You should be Core-bound for med school. The fact that you run a con as easily as you breathe suggests a few things. Whatdya say?"

<tag>

Watching Jason as he speaks about her test results makes Sive want to shout I have never
cheated on a test in my life. She could feel her temper rising, but stops herself by biting her lip.
Then he moves like a cat watching his prey until he is sitting in front of her. He continues in a
different vein, his words reaching her like no one had been able to in years.

Sive listened to Jasons words with fear in her eyes, she desperately wanted to be able to trust
this man that she had only met a few hours ago. It had be so very long, she didn't know if she
was even capable of trusting another soul now. Her gut told her, he was one of the very few
people she had come across in the last 5 years that was trustworthy. She put her hand over
her mouth, looked at him, ran it up through her hair ( loosening the pin that held it in a pony
tail ), closed her eyes bowing her head. Her small frame trembled.

Finally making up her mind, Sive raised her head, opened her eyes sighed and whispered,
“ If I do, do you promise you won't sell me to the highest bidder?”

Jason opened his mouth to speak, surprise clearly stamped around his eyes and mouth. After a second he closed it again, thinking hard. That kind of question had all kinds of implications, most of them complicated. It would all depend on who she was really running from, and why...

"My promise would mean very little to you right now, I think," he replied gently. "You have no reason to trust me at this point. If you want to talk right now, I'll listen. I don't sell people, never have. I've turned exactly one person in for a reward, but he deserved the hanging he got for raping that girl so badly she died." He looked at her again, searching her face and eyes. "I doubt you've done anything nearl that bad. If you've been running from the kind that would sell you down the river to the one with the most creds...tell you what. You can tell me know if you'd like. Or you can talk with the crew. Judge the kind of people I hire on. Decide if Tainted Angel's a place you'd feel comfortable.

"You've already met Zlanta, our engineer. She doubles as our medic, and she'd be happy enough to pass that on to you. She's doesn't like some of the scrapes and cuts we get. Donny is our navigator/comms/computer person. He keeps everything electronic working as best he can. Trish is our pursar/cargo master/broker. She's the one that talks to our clients and negotiates price and delivery time. You're welcome to talk to any of them. I'll have Zlanta show you around and introduce you to the others so I'm not influencing the conversation by looming over you.

"So, either way." He went to the counter and poured himself a cup of 'coffee'. Turning around again he leaned against the counter, looking at her over the rim of his mug, the steam framing his face in wisps of white.

“ No, I think it's best that your the only one that knows my history. Then you can judge for
yourself, whether I am too great a risk to have as one of your crew.”

Sive looked at the spare tablet on the table slowly reached for it, tapped a name into it
and slid it towards Jason.

Name; Alayna McLeod
Born; 2481 ( age; 32 )
Height; 5 ft. 2 in.
Build; slim, athletic
Eyes; grey
Hair; rich dark auburn, soft curls
Skin; pale, lots of freckles
Appearance; Very attractive in a pixie like way, usually dresses conservatively.

Bio;
Education;
Medical Degree
Genetic Engineering Degree

Published Papers;
Research into altering genes in order to be able to change the outward appearance
of mammals.

Is highly regarded in her research by her colleagues.

Disappeared in 2508

Waiting for him to read the contents, she started to tell her story. “ My research attracted
a lot of attention, from not only the government, but big criminal types as well. I knew I
was being watched.”

She got up and started to pace up and down as she continued, “ I finally realized that
if “The Changeling Affect” as I came to call my project got into the wrong hands there
would be galaxy wide repercussions. I had gotten a lot further in my research then just
what was in my published papers.” Stopping for a moment, Sive reached up and toyed
with the small pendent nestled in her cleavage, then started pacing again.

“The fact was, I had reached the stage of testing my data on more then just lab animals,”
she looked at Jason, hesitated then said, “ I tested it on myself.” As her story went on
Sive became more nervous, looking at the door off and on. “ I decided I had to run,
I felt like the interested parties were just waiting for me to get to the next stage, meaning
testing on humans. I destroyed all my data, and disappeared off the grid.”

Sive didn't even look at Jason now, it was like she was reliving her story. “That was five
years and at least half a dozen aliases ago. I have been a nurse, a waitress, a chef, I even
impersonated a doctor for a short time Sive laughed nervously. The thing is, they are
somehow tracking me, I have only been able to keep one step ahead of them.

Reaching for her pendent again, Sive looked a Jason, “ That is why I was attacked eight
months ago and ended up on this hell hole of a planet. I was headed for Center planets
knowing I could lose myself in amongst the billions of people.

All of a sudden her nervousness got the better of her and she cried out, “ I have to get out of
here.” She bolted out the door and kept running til she existed the ship. Because of the tears
that had begun to fall, her vision was blurred. Sive was abruptly stopped when she ran into the
big belly of Ricky. Before she could push herself off him, he grabbed her wrists and pulled
them behind her back. Slowly rubbing her small body against himself, he chuckled, “ Well well,
what have we here boys?” Coldly looking down at Sive, “ Did you miss me Short Stuff? I'm
gonna make you pay for what you did to me.”

He continued to rub himself using Sive's body, his three fully armed goons roared in laughter.
In her struggles, the pin in her hair finally came out, letting it cascade down her back. She
now looked like the frightened defeated young woman she was. Hearing the laughter, brought
her head and temper up. “ Let go of me you pig!”

Last edited:
Rick's laughter cut off abruptly as a shotgun's rack went "click-CLACK" behind him. At the same time a triad of red dots appeared on his chest in a 1" diameter circle. Dust in the air revealed the beam of the laser sight attached to a very large rifle wielded by Zlanta, who crouched on one side of the airlock hatch. Coming down that hatch was Jason, eyes dark. He recognized two of the four men as those who'd cornered Sive (or was that Alayna).

"Now apparently we've had us a lack of communication, boys. I told these two fellows to bring you business-like, and here you are assaulting a guest of mine." He stepped off the gangway onto the ground. Suddenly there was a pistol in his hand, pointing at Rick's head. "Local law says everything inside the box marked out on the ground yonder counts as our territory as long as our docking fees are paid. Which they are through tonight. So tell me right now why I should allow you to keep breathing."

At Rick's sputters Jason smiled coldly. "Don't want to hear it, boy. You missed her the first time, and now she's with us. You can either step out of the docking space we're in, or I. Will. Bury. You." Rick and his goons appeared to think about it until Zlanta shifted the sniper rifle from his chest...to his groin. Realizing the only way to leave outside a box was to retreat Rick stepped back over the line standing with his toes just outside the markings on the ground.

"You ain't heard the last of Ricky, Short Stuff. Don't sleep too soundly." He winked. "Word's getting around that someone might be interested in meeting you." He sauntered back into the town, goons in tow.

Jason stepped over to Sive and checked her over. "Good thing Donny let us know Rick was on his way. Didn't expect you to bolt like that. You alright, girl?" The last tried to sound gruff, but his eyes were concerned. "We've got our supplies laid in. I'd hoped to find a passenger here, but looks like we should leave if you're coming with us. Whatdya say, Sive? Or do you prefer Alayna? Coming with?"

<tag>

Rubbing her bruised wrists, Sive looked up at Jason, “How can I ever thank you for risking
your lives for me just now?” Jason's last words finally sank in giving Sive some hope.

“ Are you sure you want me aboard your ship, now that you know my history? And what about
the other crew members? Their lives will be in jeopardy as long as I am with you.” Bringing
her hand up to wipe the tears off her cheek with the back of her hand she then glances at
Zlanta briefly before looking back at Jason.

“ You heard what Ricky said, someone is interested in me, I think they have caught up with
me yet again, I don't know how they keep on finding me.”

She again, toyed with the little pendent at her throat. Her small body visibly trembled. The
eight months on this planet had taken its toll on her, the last few hours seemed to have
finished her. All her defenses were crumbling now, leaving just a haunted look in her eyes.

Shaking her head, Sive took a deep breath, “ No, I have no right to bring you all into my troubles
this is not your fight.” Looking back where Ricky and his men were just disappearing, she said,
“ But I really have no other options, If your still willing to take me on, I would be ever so grateful.”
Looking into Jason's eyes, “call me Sive, its best I still hide behind one of my aliases.”

Last edited:
Jason looked at Zlanta, who nodded slightly. Donny gave a thumbs-up from where he still stood with his shotgun. The other crew were likely inside, ready to call for help had things gone sour. He turned back to Sive.

"You're right, you'd have no right to ask us into trouble. Or con us like you tried earlier. This is different. We're offering, having some idea of what's on your six. Get aboard. Got any gear to worry about? If so we'll get it for you. If not we'll head into orbit as soon as we can fire up the engines. I'll ask Donny and Mereta to go over everything you own looking for whatever is being used to find you. We'll find a way to spoof it or get rid of it. You can stay in one of the passenger rooms for this leg. We'll figure out what to do with you during normal crew rotas once we're space-bound."

<tag>

Sive nodded, “I do have things that I don't want left behind, things that I don't need anyone
sifting through and maybe linking them to my past. If Donny and Mereta could go to my room,”
now she looked sheepish, frowning, “ OK, your going to find out anyways when they go through
my gear,” she sighed ... “ One of my aliases was an exotic dancer, so there will be the costume
for that as well as all the others, plus all the matching documents stored in my tablet.”

Maybe I should go with them and help, most of it is ready to go, I have had to keep my things
pretty much packed so that if needed, I could make a quick getaway. I think Ricky and his bunch
will head over to his bar to lick their wounded pride for awhile, before even thinking to ransack my
room looking for the money he thinks I owe him.

She took a notebook from her pocket and wrote down the address, “ Here, take this, in case
we get separated, if something happens to me, destroy all my personal affects,...all of it. That
way you and your crew will at least be safe from “ Them.” There is nothing of my research to be
found, except what I carry in my head. I have made sure of that. Let's do this, the sooner we
get off this planet, the better off we will all be."

Last edited:
Jason nodded, and Donny and Zlanta went with her to collect her things. They didn't look through anything at all, just collected whatever gear Sive pointed out. Donny helped carry bags with his shotgun still to hand. Zlanta was covering them from behing, the sniper rifle traded in for two pistols, one on either hip. They went out and came back in with no major trouble, having managed not to run across even the local law in their foray.

Back at the Angel Donny and Sive put the gear in the common room. Jason was there again (still?) with coffee ready. Something was heating in the meal-prep. His nod to Donny and Zlanta had them vanish into the forward part of the ship, probably back to their duties. He waited until the meal-prep dinged, then pull out a tray that steamed when he pulled the film off. Walking over to the table he slid it gently in front of Sive.

"Go ahead and eat. We'll go through your things together once you're done. I just want to make sure you don't have anything overtly illegal in there, alright? Once we're done with that you can claim any of the four passenger compartments. I've got us a departure slot in an hour so you should have just enough time to strap in before we lift. Once we're in space proper we'll start working you into crew rounds. Everyone will be willing to help you learn what you don't know as that means their duty shifts will be shorter."

He leaned back, giving her space while she ate. He quietly sipped his coffee and studied her. Good-looking girl, that was for sure. Trouble for sure. In more than one way. But if she were truly a nearly-trained doctor...that would be a huge help out here. Maybe he could set one of the shuttles up as a med-bay...

<tag>

Sive blew on the hot food then dug in, looking up, “ This is not bad for heat and serve fare,” she
smiled as the food slowly disappeared. “ The way your looking at me, I would say you have some
more questions for me, go ahead, ask away. You won't probably find me in a cooperative mood like
this very often. She chuckled as she finished the last bite. “Thanks, I needed that, haven't had
anything to eat since early this morning, and that was only an apple.

Now that she didn't have something to occupy her, she was nervous again, the thought of someone
knowing all about her, weighed heavily on her. Sive hated to feel vulnerable and that is exactly how
she was feeling at this moment. Her hand reached up and started to toy with the small pendent again.

Back