Starspeaker IC (Closed for silvertongue217)

Jase's words were far calmer than she had expected them to be. She took a deep breath and called to mind what she remembered about that species breeding. After a moment she realised Jase was right. Her hand hovered over her belly and she knew that Jase was a mere donor to those hatchlings', a tiny part in a very mysterious and involved process. Vera also pushed aside any questions she had about just how they acquired his DNA, as it was all in the past. And hr thought he was infertile.

Then another, more concerning thought occurred to her while she was in Jase's embrace.

"Jase... If they have your DNA, you don't think they know about..." She trailed off, then added in her mind for his sake only "your genetic alterations?"
 
"I didnt think about that" Jase said outloud glancing at the door.

"I dont see how they couldnt" Jase finally said clearing his throat "I mean if they have my genetic material then im sure they know about the genetic alterations and what is inside of me"

Jase sighed before shrugging "I mean I guess its not that big of a deal? But I might need to talk to the princess about it"

Jase looked hesitant but then sighed "If any thing shes the one who get my genetic material... I uh didnt want to make it weird but when I ran with the rebels she was some one I hooked up with"
 
When Jase confirmed her suspicions, Vera found she didn't actually care. He was here with her, married to her, the father of her children (too?). What he had done in his past didn't matter- everyone had a past, including herself.

So Vera smiled and cupped his cheek.


"I'm sure she was just one of many," Vera chuckled, planting a firm kiss on his lips. "Perhaps it would be best to suss her out. Just to see what her intentions are. If word got out it could be troublesome for us. Though I am sure she understand the need for discretion." Vera paused suddenly then, eyes widening. "Oh wow! My parents intended to create a super race of humans... I bet they would be beyond angry if they knew they inadvertently helped to sire genetically advanced Fairies as well..."

That amused Vera far more than it should have.
 
Jase thought about it for several seconds before he burst into laughter. He clutched his stomach and doubled over continuing to laugh loudly as Samantha joined in. They laughed for several minutes before Jase finally got a hold of himself wiping a few stray tears away.

"Oh god thats rich" Jase said shaking his head before trying to grow serious "Given what we know about their breeding and how it all works I doubt she wants any thing from me besides giving me a personal reason to get involved back then she made it clear it was never to be any thing more some thing about her people not mating for life"

He took her hand threading their fingers together "I am surprised no one has hunted us down yet" He remarked eyeing the door "we better get back to it"
 
Vera chuckled with Jase and Sam, watching the amusement and tension flow from her husband's body with relish. When he came over to her she gave him a soft kiss. He had told her they should move on, yet laced their fingers together.

"I can hardly continue about my day with you holding my hand..." She teased gently,, squeezing his fingers with her own. "Unless you don't want me to go..." Her eyes flickered over to the large sturdy table and then back to him.
 
"I dont" He said catching her look and biting his lip "And as tempting as what your offering is and I do mean really REALLY tempting how can we be sure no one is going to come in"

"Sam can you stand watch?" Jase asked "I know your in the intercom system?"

While she was answering Jase came over grabbing her and pulling her close. He kissed her deeply his tongue moving into her mouth as his hands slid down and grabbed her ass.
 
Vera fell into Jase's kiss, noting Samantha's grumble of annoyance at his request. She would have laughed if she were not filled with such overwhelming need for her husband.

But she pulled away, knowing she had much to do. She pressed one last lingering kiss against his lips.

"Tonight," she promised, before giving his cock a squeeze through his pants nd sauntering out of the room.


"Sam, any idea where Avery is?" She thought to the AI.

"She's down in hangar five," Sam said a moment later. "Finally going to have that discussion you keep putting off?"

Vera rolled her eyes as she walked, pleased that there was no one else in the area to witness her odd actions.

"I don't keep putting it off! I haven't had time. I barely have time to breathe anymore."

"No, that's true," Sam conceded, "Have you figured out what you're going to say to her yet?"

"No- yes... I don't know," Vera sighed mentally as she turned and made tracks for the hangar. She spent the trip trying to figure out what she would say to Avery.

~*~

The trip to the hangar was distracting; Vera had been pulled aside by a dozen people on the way there who had happily congratulated her on marriage and pregnancy. She had never had so many people eyeing her stomach with so much interest, and all of the attention made everything seem all the more real.

The hangar was buzzing with activity; Bomber and Avery over on one corner supervising the loading of some heavy duty weapons. She made her way over to them, walking slowly to make sure she didn't interrupt the delicate process. When the weapon was safely loaded and locked into place she stepped up. The officers seemed to notice then, shuffling to attention.

"Chancellor," Bomber said, stepping forward, Avery at his side.

"Sorry to interrupt you," Vera said, "I was just wondering if you would have a moment Avery?"

Avery looked at Bomber.

"We have a lot to get done-" She begun.

"We can manage without her," Bomber said, putting his hand on Avery's lower back and ushering her forward. She turned and shot him an annoyed look, but didn't argue.

"Shall we go for a walk?" Vera asked, Avery nodded and fell in step beside her as they made their way towards one of the quieter service corridors.

"How are you feeling?" Avery asked, looking over at Vera's bump as they walked.

"Not so bad now," Vera said with a shrug, "I still get hit with the nausea, but everything else going on is a bit of a distraction."

"We rode the shuttle back with Greyjoy last night. She was practically exploding from her excitement. Your pregnancy announcement was extremely well received," Avery said, Vera laughed, imagining the enthusiastic publicist going crazy over the ratings and all.

"Yes, I imagine she was," Vera hummed. They came to a window that looked out towards the bridge of the ship and into the blackness of space beyond. Vera stopped walking and turned towards the view. "Look Avery, I wanted to apologise..." Vera said as Avery pulled in beside her.

"Apologise... What ever for?" Avery's voice still held that same frustration that it had when Jase and Bomber had first rescued her.

"What shouldn't I apologize for?" Vera sighed, turning to Avery. "You know, after everything that has happened I have to say that the strangest thing is that you and I are genetically so damn similar, yet we know almost nothing about each other. That, Avery, is what I am sorry for."

Avery turned to Vera, looking surprised at what she had said.

"For years and years I ignored the loss of our parents. I felt as though I had lost the only family I had, when in reality the one person who I should have actually cared about was still there. I took you for granted. You stepped in and out for me as I needed without question. And then when you did question me, I ignored it." Vera stopped, taking a deep breath.

"Gee Vera, those pregnancy hormones-"

"No," Vera held up a hand to stall the flippant remark. "It's true. I had you take my position, one we both know you didn't really care for, while I went about my business. I can't apologise for following those leads, but I will apologise for being blind to the effect it had on you. All that stress. And then I can't even imagine what it was like to be on the same ship as Bomber, but not to be able to tell him you were alive."

Avery reached out, placing a hand on Vera's shoulder. Vera covered it with her own.

"You weren't to know," Avery sighed.

"No, I wasn't, but I was wrong to use you like that, without even asking how you were. It was a mistake. One I don't want to repeat," Vera said firmly, holding back the emotions welling up. "You are pretty much a sister to me Avery, and the fact that I am pregnant now means that I need to think about my family... A family that you're a part of. Like it or not," The last part of that was said with a wink and a laugh. Avery chuckled along.

Avery reached out then, hand going towards Vera's stomach. She stopped, drawing back slightly.

"May I?" She asked. Vera nodded, taking her doppleganger's hand and holding it over the swell in her abdomen. Avery smiled faintly at the contact.

"Thank you, Avery. Thank you for everything," Vera said. The long-held tension in Avery's body seemed to flee her then, her shoulders relaxing and her naturally stoic expression softening. She stepped forward, pulling Vera into an embrace for the barest of moments before stepping back.

"The past is what it is," she said with a shrug, "You asked for your upbringing no less than I did for mine. Thank you Vera." Avery said. She turned, walking down the corridor before stopping. "You and Jase should join Bomber and I for dinner tonight. Just let us know when you're ready and we'll have something sent up."

Vera watched Avery walk away, a storm of emotions roiling within her.

"Good god Vera. If only AIs could cry," Sam's voice chimed in from beside her. Vera looked at the her and rolled her eyes.

"Shut up Sam," Vera snapped. Sam only laughed.

"First copy of the treaty is ready. I have called the council into the chambers to discuss it. They expect you there in five minutes."

"Good, thank you," Vera said. Turning to look at the vastness of space before sighing and walking down the corridor
 
The day passed with Jase and Vera torn apart by the duties each had. The ship and its crew the whole galaxy even was preparing itself for war. There were drafts to sign and war rules to go into effect on Veras side. Of course Jase didnt have it any better, his hard won battle against the Fleet Commander and the military personal who thought his job was for lack of a better word sleeping around was won. Now however they needed him and if Jase wasnt doing paper work he was in meetings to determine how they would fight the threat.

"This is going to be a long war" Jase said shaking his head and leaning back as the last of the war council left his office.

"Dont forget this is just the PEACe war council" Samantha reminded him appearing and smirking "You still have"

"The coalition" Jase said sighing and getting up "Yeah they will be here tomorrow along with all of their fleets to hear how were going to combat the threat"

"Just think of it this way" Samantha said following him as he left the office "this is what you have wanted every one working together right?"

"It is" Jase said smiling a little as he nodded at the men saluting "It does warm my heart to see it"

"What do you think my darling" Jase said opening the mind link to her "Of where we are now versus a year ago?"
 
"Sam's right," Vera replied with a sigh, leaning back in her seat and rubbing her eyes with her fists. "It is exactly what we wanted. I've been trying to do this for a decade. I just wish it didn't take a war to get us this far," she said as she got out of her seat. Her muscles ached and cramped, but she stretched out, rolling her shoulders and yawning.

"I'm always right," Sam said through the linky haugtily, ligthening the mood. Vera chuckled.

"Keep dreaming Sam!" Vera rolled her eyes.

She had spent the rest of the day bouncing between meetings and office duties. The treaty had been, for the most part, accepted by the rebels. However, there were some amendments they had requested that had taken the entire afternoon of back and forth to solve. She swiped at the screen, sending the final revision through.

"I swear, if these rebels don't accept this revision I will shoot them down myself," Vera said, her stomach rumbling, nausea rising in her throat. She pressed a hand against her abdomen and sighed. "Jase, I told Avery we would have dinner with her and Bomber. Are you okay with that?" She asked.
 
"Sounds good to me" Jase said pushing his chair back and rising from his desk "I think I am done for the day the next couple of days every ones on rotating shore leave so I shouldnt be to busy"

Jase grabbed his jacket shrugging it on and stepping out of his office. He gave the man on duty control of the bridge and after doing the necessary traditions set forth by a long standing navy made his way back to their suite.

"Do I need to change or any thing?" He asked her through their mental link "Or should I just head straight over and meet you there?"
 
"I don't imagine so," Vera replied. "I think it is just casual."

"We do have a few meetings coming up that we're both sitting in on," Vera said through the link, pleased at the prospect of spending some time with Jase during the day, even if it was at meeting. "I miss when it was just you and I on the falcon."

"What about me?" Sam interjected, tone amused.

"No, not you, you were a pain in the arse. Still are," Vera laughed as she walked out of her office.

~*~

Five minutes later Vera approached the door to Bomber's suite (where Avery had also apparently taken up residence). She knocked on the door and it slid open easily to reveal a comfortable looking combined living and dining area. She had seen Bomber's bunk before, back when he was a pilot, and she had known he had more sparse tastes. This room had started top look lived in though, and she noted without suprise that some of Avery's clothes were laid over the back of the lounge. Vera had never been one for clutter, but Avery didn't seem to mind it. She got it off their mother.

"Chancellor!" Bomber said, standing to attention, voice strained.

"You're off duty, call her Vera," Avery said, walking out of the bedroom wearing some comfortable looking pants and a shirt, with a towel beneath her wet hair.

"I'm always on duty, I-"

"Yes, yes," Avery said, brushing off an explanation she seemed to already know by heart.

"Is that okay Chancellor?" Bomber asked.

"Vera," Avery and Vera said at the same time. Vera looked at her doppleganger, eyes glinting in amusement. Vera wondered what Avery had told him about their relationship. He was looking between the two of them, puzzled.

"Jase should be here any moment," Vera said, filling the strange silence in the room. Her hand went down to her belly.

"Oh! Shit, sorry-" Bomber said, racing over to her and pulling out a chair at the table. "Please sit. I completely forgot." He gestured to her belly with an apologetic smile.

Vera wanted to stand a bit longer, she had been sitting most of the day, but the look of concern on his face was endearing. As she sat down Avery took the seat opposite.

"I feel I owe you an apology Bomber," Vera said with a wry grin. "Those times that I swapped with Avery... I had no idea you two were an item. That must have made it confusing."

Bomber went to say something, but the door to the room slid open.
 
"I am sure it was no more confusing then thinking you were Avery at first" Jase replied his quip and slight tease all good natured as he came in and pushed his jacket off.

"I mean talk about awkward for Boomer" Jase teased elbowing him in the side as he came in and went over to Vera. He leaned in kissing the top of her head and then her lips before going into their kitchen to raid a beer.

"Or you!" Boomer countered relaxing more with Jase in the room "I didnt even know until after the fact!"

"True" Jase said coming back with three beers. He tossed one to Boomer and gave Avery the other one before he sat down next to Vera. He shot her an apologetic nod but handed her a water bottle as he cracked open his beer and took a long sip.
 
Vera opened her water and took a drink, smiling at Jase in thanks.

"Yes, well, when these babies are born I will change my eyes back and everyone can be thoroughly unconfused again," Vera said, a nod to Avery. "At least you no longer have to worry about being me again."

Avery's eyes darted to Boomer, they shared a loaded look between them.

"Well, they don't have to be. For now, at least," Avery said, "If you need me to stand in as you in the early days, when you are in labour or when the babies are little..." She trailed off.

Vera's eyes widened, touched by the offer but unsure of how to take it. She needed to keep up appearances, she knew that, but she also had no idea what type of toll the birth would take on her. She just figured she would have to push through it all. They were at war, after all, she wouldn't be able to take time off.

"Right, well, I'll think about it. Thank you," Vera said softly, her appreciation clear in her voice.
 
"Not a bad offer" Jase said speaking up as they discussed "But I dont think its a good idea not now at least"

"The time for that sort of thing is past" Jase told all of them "Every one knows your pregnant and going to be going into labour if your suddenly back not pregnant or any thing along those lines it would freak some people out"

"However" Jase said looking over at Avery "You have never named a Vice Empress or any thing some one to serve in some capacity when your not able to Avery knows what you want and you have given her that responsibility several times over why not make it official?"
 
Vera noticed the almost imperceptible shift in Avery's demeanour then. A change in her grip on her beer, a subtle setting of her jaw. Her eyes flocked between Vera and Jase, and she looked to be figuring out what she could say. Boomer seemed to sense her tension, placing a hand on her leg and patting it.

"It would be an honour, really, but..." Avery started.

"It's an offer, nor an order," Vera said quickly, Avery's eyes met hers. "Consider the position if you ever want it. It's yours, but only when you're ready." That hard set in Avery's jaw relaxed, a motion so like Vera's own she couldn't help but share in the relief of it. Avery then smiled at Jase thankfully (and somewhat ruefully).

"I'm more like you General. I can do the politics, but I hate it. I'd rather be out on a mission, or helping on the ship..."
 
"I know" Jase said to noticing the tension but making no move to placate her "But its you and I thats needed now no offense" Jase said glancing over at Vera.

"We all have our position to take in the war Vera will be the first to attest that some times direct action and some one to argue with direct action is needed" Jase said glancing over at Boomer "That is why i promoted Boomer because I knew I would need him to get things done I think Vera might see the same in you"

"Either way your getting promoted" Jase said leaning back to regard her "being a pilot is good and we need good ones but your to good to be wasted in a skirmish I was going to approach you about a promotion any ways perhaps commanding a strike force were looking to put together to protect a top secret mission" Jase said his eyes flickering over to Vera.
 
- Avery Watersmith -

Avery's eyes widened as she took in Jase's words. A promotion would be good; since getting back she was floating about. She couldn't really go back to her old role, with everything that happened with Vera it wasn't really an option. She had spent the last few weeks following Boomer around and working on whatever he was doing. Even though she was thankful for, and enjoying, their extended time together a promotion would be welcome. She was itching to get back out, to have her own purpose again.

"I guess it would depend on what sort of special mission it was," Avery said, keeping her expression neutral.

"We are putting together a task force to protect a planet on on the rim. It is a covert operation, and we need someone smart and discreet to lead it," Vera said.

"And how long will this planet need protecting?" Avery asked, eyebrow raising. Vera looked somewhat uncomfortable then. The slight change in her demeanour was not something most people would notice, but Avery knew Vera's tells as well as she knew her own, and she could see it.

"For as long as it takes to ensure that Hive are no longer a threat to it," Vera said, looking at her evenly.

Avery's hand unconsciously settled onto Boomer's thigh. The thought of leaving him again, for an undefined amount of time... Well, it wasn't a welcome one. The mission was intriguing to her, that was certain, but she had no idea how long the war would go for, and she knew Boomer was needed at Jase's side. Vera seemed to notice her hesitation.

"We need the task force together ASAP, but think about it. If we haven't heard from you by tomorrow at 17:00 we will appoint someone else," Vera said.

Avery looked at Boomer, but his face was set and his expression undreadable.

Then, the door to the room slid open and the food arrived. Avery and Boomer had beseeched the kitchens for something a bit nicer than the usual fare, citing the fact that they had the pregnant Chancellor to cater for. Thankfully, the kitchens had done a decent job of it. The attendants carried the trays to the table and Boomer led the charge to the food, expressing just how hungry he was.
 
"I wish I could spare Boomer" Jase said the minute the attendants were gone. He had noted the way they looked at each other and the discreet touching. He felt bad for breaking them apart in any way.

"Unfortunately I need him here" Jase said not eating just yet but nodding at Vera to do so "However we will be able to rotate you guys out and have you come back as much as we can it all needs to be discreet and we cant let HIVE have any interest in the planet but we can make it work"

"Of course we cant say any thing more until or if you accept but its highly important and means one species continued survival" Jase said glancing over at Vera "If you dont want the position however we can find some one else I was thinking of giving you a captaincy control of a battle ship if you decide the discreet mission is not for you"
 
Vera watched the flames that Boomer and Avery exchanged, and then gestured for everyone else to start eating. She put a gentle hand on Jase's thigh.

"You have until tomorrow," Vera reiterated, "Now, we didn't come here to talk shop. Let's change the topic."

They they talked about a myriad of other things as they ate. The chatter was polite, but somewhat strained. The threat of war loomed over them and Boomer still seemed curious about just how Avery had gotten tangled up with Vera. They had brushed it off for the sake of dinner, but as the meal ended and the alcohol settled into the other three, Vera knew lips would soon be pried looser.
 
Dinner was cleared and Boomer and Jase were seated on the couch exchanging a beer. Boomer had finally loosened up the two beers he had putting him in a curious mood.

"So am I ever going to learn the truth" Boomer asked leaning in to study the two girls "Avery hasnt said.... But you two are hiding some thing you guys are so alike are you twins? I mean its okay if you are.... I just cant imagine I would not have ever heard that..." He said leaning back to shake his head.

"Uh perhaps this isnt a conversation when your drunk" Jase said glancing over at the girls then back at Boomer "I mean we dont mind telling you mate... But your not even going to remember it if you keep it up!"
 
Avery and Vera broke from their conversation and turned to Boomer. They exchanged a look; Vera didn't know what Avery had or hadn't told him, so she pressed her lips together. She also didn't know what her doppelganger was comfortable revealing to her lover.

"We, uh, we are not twins." Avery stood up, slightly tipsy. "More beer?"
 
"I think both of you have had enough" Jase said raising an eyebrow at Vera as he regarded them both.

"Thats not answering the question" Boomer said slurring slightly as he looked at her "I love you I want to know the truth" He told her trying to stand but swaying like a half cut tree.

"Oh lord" Jase said pinching the bridge of his nose "Looks like these two cant hold their beer!"
 
Avery Watersmith

"I'm holding my beer just fine!" Avery snapped, glaring at Jase for a moment, with a withering expression like Vera's. "Boomer, babe, I am not sure this is the time. I love you too, but maybe we should get you sobered up before storytelling hour, yeah?" She walked over to him ans placed a gentle hand on his swaying shoulder.
 
"Yeah sure you are" Jase said snorting and watching the two of them as he rose "Maybe we should give them some alone time?" Jase asked Vera coming over and watching the scene with amusement.

"No no no" Boomer said shaking her off and glaring "If I wait until im sober you wont tell me!" He accused her pointing his finger at her and narrowing his eyes.
 
Avery Watersmith

Avery shot Jase another angry look.

"Do you ever stop?" She growled. Vera rose her eyebrows in amusement (and perhaps agreement). "Boomer, it's a long, complicated story. I don't want to tell you while you're drunk and then have to hash it out again in the morning! I... I promise I'll tell you tomorrow..."
 
Back
Top