A note on protecting your "intellectual property."

Ekserb

You really hate me.
I've noticed more people putting warnings on their picture threads or on each post that accompanies an attached image. These alerts usually state something like, "The images contained herein are the intellectual property of [Lit member] and may not be reproduced, copied, shared, etc without permission of [Lit member]."

While it is absolutely true that the creator is the sole owner of the copyright of their images (with limited exceptions), there really isn't anything other than scruples preventing people from doing exactly that which is prohibited by these little notices. And, unless you've formally registered your copyright with the US Copyright Office (http://www.copyright.gov), you have little legal recourse in the event they do violate your proscription.

If you are truly fearful that someone is going to steal, hoard, or distribute your photos, don't share them. Period. That's the only foolproof security method you can subscribe to. (Other than the one hundred percent secure method of never exposing the images to begin with.)

If you want to minimize your risk, you can avoid photographing any identifiable part of your body or property and/or add a watermark to the images. A watermark should cover enough of the image that it can't be easily cropped out or blurred without also destroying any useable part of the photo, e.g. a banner right across the breasts. These options will, of course, make the image less than beautiful, but beggars can't be choosers.

Unfortunately, that's the sad thing about photo sharing. I believe most of us are doing it because it's fun. I think watermarking is the best way to go as far as people stealing one's images and then essentially impersonating that person with a fake internet ad.

Like always, there's that one asshole who ruins it for everyone.

I keep waiting for someone to tell me they've seen my tits on some other site under some other username, but so far so good. (Did I just jinx myself??)

I just make sure there isn't anything identifyable in my pics, as I presume everything is essentially public domain when I post it. There is some copyright/ownership language here at lit somewhere (I looked once), but it does just come down to scruples.

Assume anything you post here will be downloaded, saved, shared, reposted somewhere, and your mother may one day see it. Take all of that into account when posting, plan accordingly, and I say you're good.

A little elaboration. You do have rights even if you do nothing, and the copyright notice is mainly to put people on notice but doesn't really add anything. The federal registration adds some opportunity to get bigger damages if you were to sue.

But that's the point - you'd have to identify the violator and be willing to sue. I doubt that anyone who posts here (or other places) would be willing to go to that expense, at least, or to go that step at all.

So, the advice that has been given is correct - don't post anything identifiable if you're worried about it. The use of a watermark is a good idea too, probably somewhere where it can't be photoshopped out very easily. Like on a leg, for example.

That said, reposting from here is bullshit. Anyone who does that should be outed on the site. All that does is mess it up for everyone.

Back