Probably not how he thought it would go...

Andrew Vestal @avestal
#AskELJames after the success of "Grey," have you considered re-telling the story from the perspective of someone who can write
10:50 AM - 29 Jun 2015

That one might be my favorite

This had me laughing for sure:

#AskELJames Is there a safe word we can use to get you to stop writing such drivel?

But let's get real. There is a lot of pent up need for a good spanking out there as evidenced by the runaway success of the books. Lots of folks liked the mainstreaming of this taboo subject because it let them realize "It is not just me".

The writing was crap but the timing was perfect and the subject matter struck a chord that is still reverberating. I bet some of the worst haters making those comments either have a secret crop under the bed, or secretly wish they their sig-other would demand something not-at-all-vanilla from them.

My, $0.02 on the subject.

#AskELJames Is there a safe word we can use to get you to stop writing such drivel?

But let's get real. There is a lot of pent up need for a good spanking out there as evidenced by the runaway success of the books. Lots of folks liked the mainstreaming of this taboo subject because it let them realize "It is not just me".

The writing was crap but the timing was perfect and the subject matter struck a chord that is still reverberating. I bet some of the worst haters making those comments either have a secret crop under the bed, or secretly wish they their sig-other would demand something not-at-all-vanilla from them.

Reads like you fancy yourself one of those "good spank"ers whom you also seem to fancy women all over are "still reverberating" to find...

...how 'bout it, Sucker?

Did the boy here spank you real good, too, as you were screwing him behind your husband's back...

...before he dumped you?

That's when I point them to Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty series or Exit to Eden. Anything has to be better than that drivel by E.L. James (murmur, bite lip...blush) oh wait...I used all those words/phrases A GAZILLION TIMES ALREADY!!!

Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty was for sure a better read. I managed to get through about 3/4 of the first book of 50 shades and couldn't keep down the bile and so the book had to. Anne Roquelaure is Shakespeare in comparison.

I am just saying it struck a chord and that the timing was better than the writing. The key is that 50 Shades took the subject matter into the mainstream in a way the Sleeping Beauty series or Exit to Eden didn't, for whatever reason.

ETA: I asked a friend - do all women think "oh shit" as much as Anastasia?

Last edited:
Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty was for sure a better read. I managed to get through about 3/4 of the first book of 50 shades and couldn't keep down the bile and so the book had to. Anne Roquelaure is Shakespeare in comparison.

I am just saying it struck a chord and that the timing was better than the writing. The key is that 50 Shades took the subject matter into the mainstream in a way the Sleeping Beauty series or Exit to Eden didn't, for whatever reason.

Yeah, the masses probably weren't ready yet. So sad. Now we have to put up with the insipid what's her face Ana. ;)

Yeah, the masses probably weren't ready yet. So sad. Now we have to put up with the insipid what's her face Ana. ;)

No! Just the opposite. The masses were very ready for the spanking, they just don't know a bad spanking from a great one, but they were so starved at the time that any spanking would do.

You clearly are very discerning and educated about your spankings. :rose:

As a compatibility test, all my prospective submissives have to produce an audio recording of 'One Hundred and Twenty Days of Sodom.' If I haven't reached orgasm by the first finger removal, it isn't going to work.

It never works. :(

As a compatibility test, all my prospective submissives have to produce an audio recording of 'One Hundred and Twenty Days of Sodom.' If I haven't reached orgasm by the first finger removal, it isn't going to work.

It never works. :(

Hmm.... only 99 cents on Kindle. Tempting.

I would absolutely love to see the Marquis de Sade on Twitter. There must be a parody account out there somewhere, but if it were anything like the real one he would be arrested a dozen times a day.

Twitter cannot seem to decide what to beat the woman for:

Bad prose, encouraging the "abuse of women" or not knowing the proper way to beat women like a knowledgeable BDSM devotee. Odd.

I would delight to find that some of the twits castigating her for the "abuse of women" were bottoms up for a good spanking after they went offline.

Twitter cannot seem to decide what to beat the woman for:

Bad prose, encouraging the "abuse of women" or not knowing the proper way to beat women like a knowledgeable BDSM devotee. Odd.

I would delight to find that some of the twits castigating her for the "abuse of women" were bottoms up for a good spanking after they went offline.

The abuse they're talking about has nothing to do with BDSM. The story has the rich asshole stalking, manipulating, and outright threatening the female lead through the whole thing, and trying to pass it off as "romantic gestures." There's no disconnect at all there.

The abuse they're talking about has nothing to do with BDSM. The story has the rich asshole stalking, manipulating, and outright threatening the female lead through the whole thing, and trying to pass it off as "romantic gestures." There's no disconnect at all there.

That sounds desperate and needy not dominant. Also sounds typical of spousal abuse sort of dynamics. I'd have to read it to gather that and from the few passages I have seen I can't see doing that. Early criticism of the book in the BDSM community seemed to focus on it being insipid and theatrical. With the dynamics all wrong.

I paid that little mind because the community such as it is cannot agree on a label for any activity you want to name, much less how it "ought" to be performed.

I never actually saw 9 1/2 weeks and then in the $1 bin I found a copy of the book that I didn't know the movie was based on. I don't remember the details but thinking back to my general impressions it also had elements like you describe. She is caught up in this empty-headed following mode that I think is supposed to suggest sub-space but it just seemed off. I also don't remember it being a good enough read to justify me picking it up to look for similar problems.

That sounds desperate and needy not dominant. Also sounds typical of spousal abuse sort of dynamics. I'd have to read it to gather that and from the few passages I have seen I can't see doing that. Early criticism of the book in the BDSM community seemed to focus on it being insipid and theatrical. With the dynamics all wrong.

I paid that little mind because the community such as it is cannot agree on a label for any activity you want to name, much less how it "ought" to be performed.

I never actually saw 9 1/2 weeks and then in the $1 bin I found a copy of the book that I didn't know the movie was based on. I don't remember the details but thinking back to my general impressions it also had elements like you describe. She is caught up in this empty-headed following mode that I think is supposed to suggest sub-space but it just seemed off. I also don't remember it being a good enough read to justify me picking it up to look for similar problems.

I got dragooned into reading the first 50 Shades book, and it was pretty terrible. Most of the criticisms are valid, of the writing, of the misuse of BDSM, and of the abuse/stalking/manipulation elements. If you read it as a manual of how to do everything wrong, it works perfectly.

I got dragooned into reading the first 50 Shades book, and it was pretty terrible. Most of the criticisms are valid, of the writing, of the misuse of BDSM, and of the abuse/stalking/manipulation elements. If you read it as a manual of how to do everything wrong, it works perfectly.

Was the opportunity to show her afterwards how to do these things 'right" worth the agony of reading it? :)

I agree with what you're saying here. Additionally, it wasn't worse than most Harlequin romance novels I've read. I haven't read many, mind you, but I went through a phase.

I'm still not going to buy and read the books.

#didn'tread50shades

And you won't miss a thing. I resisted for a long time, but ended up succumbing out of sheer curiosity. There were a few decent pages, but overwhelmingly it was hugely disappointing.

I have a tendency to read nearly everything. I will not be reading Grey, though, or likely any future books by James.

If she continues on the follow Stephenie Meyers trajectory, maybe her next book has a chance. The Host was much better than the Twilight series.

You don't have to buy it, the stupid things are twilight fanfiction that is still online.

I couldn't finish that stupid book. I beg it not to write another.

Back