Need a pic resized for your Av? Post it here...

New Avatar

girl said:

Hey, Girl - Your avatars just keep getting better and better with each "50"! Love the new one and am looking forward to your next 50...:p

SlyFox

Hi, does it have to be the pic on profile, or could it be something different.

Here's the one I'd like resized for my avatar. Thanx

Attachments

• evening.jpg
    evening.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 257
Your Pic

mistyc said:

Great choice Mistyc! She is my mental image of "Ayla" of Jane Auel's "Clan of the Cave Bear" series. Are you familiar with it?

I'm sure that "Girl" will downsize it for you. She's much better at it than I am, but if not, let me know and I'll give it a shot for you.

SlyFox

mistyc said:

girl is better at sharpening pictures up than Iam, but this will work as an avatar:

Last edited:
Thanx Harold. looks good

Sly I've neve heard of Clan of the Cave Bear. But then I've never heard of Jane Auel either. But will give me something to look for and read on the long flight I have before me

mistyc said:
Thanx Harold. looks good

Sly I've neve heard of Clan of the Cave Bear. But then I've never heard of Jane Auel either. But will give me something to look for and read on the long flight I have before me

You're welcome.

I hope it's a real long flight if you plan to read the whole thing. :)

Clan of The Cave Bear is volume one of a series called Earth's Children. There are four volumes so far, and a fifth (and final volume due in April) The four existing volumes run some 800-900 pages each. You'll find them in the Literature section of Borders or Barnes and Noble.

I need a little help

This pic looks a little sharper than my current AV does. Could someone who knows more about computers than me please seperate the head from the rest of the pic in the size Literotica accepts?

If so, just leave it as an attachment on this thread and I'll take it from there.

Attachments

• woody.jpg
    woody.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 298
Re: I need a little help

pdx39 said:
This pic looks a little sharper than my current AV does. Could someone who knows more about computers than me please seperate the head from the rest of the pic in the size Literotica accepts?

If so, just leave it as an attachment on this thread and I'll take it from there.

Here you go, nice and squarely cropped and resized.

Last edited:
Well Harold, does 14 hours from Melb,Aus to LA then LA to Albany NY sound long enough lol

mistyc said:
Well Harold, does 14 hours from Melb,Aus to LA then LA to Albany NY sound long enough lol

Nope, not unless you read very fast and don't take a nap or eat. I didn't manage to read the whole thing (or a book of similar size) on the 16 hour flight from LA to Osan AB, ROK when it first came out. (I'm pretty sure it was one of the series I read on that flight.)

PS I actually prefer short story collections for inflight/travel reading. You won't be quote as frustrated if the book gets lost or you're interrupted.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm able to read a 500 page book in about 5 hours.

Trust my parents to give me a speed reading course for my 15th birthday. LOL

mistyc said:
Unfortunately I'm able to read a 500 page book in about 5 hours.

Trust my parents to give me a speed reading course for my 15th birthday. LOL

Then you probably should get both Clan of the Cave Bear and Valley of Horses for your flight. They total just over 1000 pages between them. That will leave time for a nap and dinner. (The third book of four The Mammoth Hunters runs 768 pages if you don't think you can sleep and will take care of the wait for the flights after you get through security too.)

In case you haven't figured it out, this really is a series I enjoyed and have in paperback so I can occassionally reread it. (A four to five days reading binge when the fever takes me.)

Could you give me a quick blurb on the series.

The more I think about it, the more I find myself intrigued by them.

I have an old trilogy which I must I haven't picked up in years and that's North and South.

But I have to admit, THE book of my collection would have to be In the Spirit of Crazy Horse by Peter Matthiessen.

Earth's Children Series

mistyc said:

I have an old trilogy which I must I haven't picked up in years and that's North and South.

But I have to admit, THE book of my collection would have to be In the Spirit of Crazy Horse by Peter Matthiessen.

Harold is absolutely correct in his comments about the Earth's Children series. He didn't mention the fourth book entitled "The Plains of Passage". It, too is 760 pages long and was the most difficult for me to get through - there is one very long passage describing a plain of tall grasses in minute detail that just goes on and on and on:)

The books deal with the adventures of a beautiful young "modern" homo sapiens woman (Ayla) who was orphaned at the age of three and raised by a tribe of Neanderthal's. She has an uncanny ability to relate to animals of that time period and befriends a cave lion (her personal "totem" animal, a wolf and a horse. She finds and saves the life of an equally beautiful, young human male (Jondalar) and the last two or three of the volumes detail Ayla and Jondalar's journey through the known world of that time in search of his family home. "Passage" ends just as they finally arrive at Jondalar's ancestral home.

I read somewhere that Ms. Auel had originally planned for the series to be at least 7 volumes and possibly as many as 10. The rumor was that she had suffered a nervous breakdown during the final editing of "Plains of Passage" (Writting about all those "grasses" would have driven me crazy too. :)

The first book was published in 1980 and "Passages" in 1990, so it has been more than a 10 year hiatus and we are eagerly awaiting her new volume.

It is still one of our best loved series. Hope you get a chance to read and enjoy it as much as we have.

SlyFox and Ladyhawk2

mistyc said:

Slyfox covered the blurb very well.

I would add, that Ayla and Jondalar seem to be involved in a bit more invention of ancient technology than is really believable and there is a bit too much detail about their love lives in the later books than is really good for the story. Other than those minor quibbles, it's one of the most engrossing reads I've ever encountered.

If you really enjoy the NOrth and South trilogy, you should track down The Kent Family Chronicles -- also by John Jakes -- which follows the Kent family from the founder's involvement in the Revolutionary War through the 1880's. There is some overlap with the North and South trilogy. It's seven volumes, beginning with The Bastard. I'm pretty sure that most of them are still in print. (The series dates from (c) 1974 for the Bastard through (c) 1978 for The Lawless

Thanx heaps Sly & Harold.

By the sounds of it, I'm going to have heaps of reading ahead of me. It sure is a shame that this is a long weekend here and nothing is open, otherwise I'd be out hunting all the book stores.

There's a trilogy I'm into at the moment which I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't be interested in. LOL! Female Literature. But basically set during the about 1200AD. The first one based in Denmark, or at least with the Vikings, and the second in England. And I have just found out the third in the trilogy will not be coming to Aus.

It is most disappointing as I have to wait till we get Stateside so I can finish.

Why oh why did go to NY just before it was released. Mmmmm but thinking back, I would have missed out on such a special time

mistyc said:
There's a trilogy I'm into at the moment which I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't be interested in. LOL! Female Literature. But basically set during the about 1200AD.

Don't be sexist :( I happen to like stories with strong female protagonists and historical fiction. (AKA feminine fiction.) Do tell what the trilogy is.

Female Literature - shame, shame

mistyc said:
Thanx heaps Sly & Harold.

There's a trilogy I'm into at the moment which I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't be interested in. LOL! Female Literature

Shame on you Mistyc, my girl - Most of my favorite authors are women with strong women protagonists - to name a few, Anne McCaffery, Elizabeth Moon, Lois Bujold and Diana Gabaldon. Gabaldon's current series began with Outlander. It's the story of a 1940's combat nurse who is magically trasported back to 16th century Scottland and progresses through the American Revolution. The fourth and current volume has just come out. (My daughter grabbed my copy before I even had a chance to start reading it :( )

SlyFox

Ok Guys, I condsider myself severely reprimanded.

To all GUYS I apologize for being a sexist.

The trilogy is by Josie Litton. The first one is Dream of Me, second is Believe in Me, and the last which I am dying for is Come Back to Me.

Usually the only historical reading I do is of the Non_fiction variety. Mainly about my heritage of the Lakota. But every now and then, something will pike my interest.

mistyc said:
Usually the only historical reading I do is of the Non_fiction variety. Mainly about my heritage of the Lakota. But every now and then, something will pike my interest.

You might enjoy The first Americans series by William Sarabande then. I've given up on the later parts of the series because he gets a bit repetitive but the first couple are outstanding looks at how a migration to North America via the Bering Land bridge might have happened.

Weird Harold said:

You might enjoy The first Americans series by William Sarabande then. I've given up on the later parts of the series because he gets a bit repetitive but the first couple are outstanding looks at how a migration to North America via the Bering Land bridge might have happened.

Damn, Harold, we sure do seem to have the same tastes in reading material. And I agree with you about the latter books - did get a bit boring, but still a good read...

SlyFox

Native American

mistyc said:
Ok Guys, I condsider myself severely reprimanded.

To all GUYS I apologize for being a sexist.

The trilogy is by Josie Litton. The first one is Dream of Me, second is Believe in Me, and the last which I am dying for is Come Back to Me.

Ah, Mystyc, somehow I just knew you had to be a "real" native. Love the rich but sad history of the Locata people... (And your beautiful new Ava sure fits:) )

You're forgiven, Darlin'. I know you didn't mean it. ;)

SlyFox

Awwwwww thanx Sly, yur a sweetheart:p

It may be a sad past, but that past has made me who I am today. Proud and deeply humbled by all that has passed.

Hehehe. I love my new av too. In fact I got heaps of pics like that. But the one that resembles me the most would be the one on my profile.

mistyc said:
But the one that resembles me the most would be the one on my profile.

Honey, if you're half a lovely as that pic, you're knock down gorgeous...:kiss:

Sly

Awwww ty Sly. You really know how to flatter a girl
And for being so nice my gift to u :rose:

Back