Professor/Student with a twist

-Scenario number 2, It's something I’d write.

-The British perspective will make the story that much more elite academic and personally appealing. I’d really like it if you emphasized that she’s wearing stockings at some point prior to the sex scenes, and then rip them apart when leading up to the sex.

I think that can be arranged ;) I do quite enjoy a nice pair of stockings and suspenders, myself.

I personally like the first scenario better. I think it's more interesting and realistic so I can definitely picture it happening outside of the realm of just written word. I like the idea that you're building up tension between the two characters throughout her graduate school career to the point where now it becomes a solid temptation.

I'm also interested in hearing the male character's point of view about this. I like the idea that you have a solid, academically-grounded individual knowing that it's unprofessional but can't help but act on it. The female's internal conflict drawn by whether she would should go for this attraction or not is also intriguing.

On the one hand, I can probably say with some honesty that I am a little biased in this respect because I am a current PhD graduate student pursuing her doctorate in Biochemistry, so when I stumbled upon this, I was pleasantly surprised and am intrigued about it. It definitely would make for an interesting story because it's so potentially relatable. (Like this could actually occur in real life).

You have no idea how flattering it was to read this! Confession time: I too am a postgraduate although my subject area is history and, if I'm completely honest, these ideas are semi-autobiographical in nature, while the staff character is based upon someone I know. That said, I wanted to make the scenarios as realistic as possible by avoiding any of the transactional tropes usually associated with these kinds of pairings for reasons detailed above.

Your professors must be SO MUCH sexier than mine were :)

Oh, I suppose it depends upon how you define 'sexy' :D The person upon whom my male character is based is not necessarily the most physically attractive person in the world but he's that rare combination of brilliant and self-deprecatingly humble with a killer sense of humour and the ability to make students feel like their contributions are both interesting and worthwhile. So, he is sexy in the sense that he's a great guy who's great at mental stimulation...which in turn leads to all kinds of distracting fantasies like the one I'm currently in the process of writing.

You have no idea how flattering it was to read this! Confession time: I too am a postgraduate although my subject area is history and, if I'm completely honest, these ideas are semi-autobiographical in nature, while the staff character is based upon someone I know. That said, I wanted to make the scenarios as realistic as possible by avoiding any of the transactional tropes usually associated with these kinds of pairings for reasons detailed above.

Yeah, I'd be interested to read that, however you do end up writing it. There are plenty of "hottie trades sex for grades" stories out there already, it'd be nice to see something different. The "former supervisor" aspect adds some interesting nuance to the relationship.

I know one couple who met when he was a professor supervising her as a doctoral candidate. When they realised where things were going, they went straight to the Dean's office to get her a new supervisor. So nice to see people handle that stuff sensibly for once.

Oh, I suppose it depends upon how you define 'sexy' :D The person upon whom my male character is based is not necessarily the most physically attractive person in the world but he's that rare combination of brilliant and self-deprecatingly humble with a killer sense of humour and the ability to make students feel like their contributions are both interesting and worthwhile. So, he is sexy in the sense that he's a great guy who's great at mental stimulation...which in turn leads to all kinds of distracting fantasies like the one I'm currently in the process of writing.

Yep, definitely sexier than any of mine. Unless you get off on the distant type who only shows up at Christmas parties, or the petulant one who attends reviews purely to rip into you for not taking a huge unnecessary detour into his pet field. I'm sure that's somebody's kink but it ain't mine...

Yeah, I'd be interested to read that, however you do end up writing it. There are plenty of "hottie trades sex for grades" stories out there already, it'd be nice to see something different. The "former supervisor" aspect adds some interesting nuance to the relationship.

I know one couple who met when he was a professor supervising her as a doctoral candidate. When they realised where things were going, they went straight to the Dean's office to get her a new supervisor. So nice to see people handle that stuff sensibly for once.

Yep, definitely sexier than any of mine. Unless you get off on the distant type who only shows up at Christmas parties, or the petulant one who attends reviews purely to rip into you for not taking a huge unnecessary detour into his pet field. I'm sure that's somebody's kink but it ain't mine...

Thanks :) I'm unfortunately in the process of also finishing up a chapter of my dissertation so this might not be finished for another few weeks but I hope that it's enjoyable when it's finished.

To be honest, I think most responsible academics tend to follow the same steps as your acquaintances as I know a couple of couples with similar stories and in one case, the former supervisor recused himself while in the other, they didn't get together until she ended up coming back to the institution as a post-doc a few years after completing her doctorate.

I guess the fact of the matter is that at the postgrad level, students really are sort of like junior colleagues of the staff rather than complete inferiors in the way that they are as undergraduates so relationships happen and it's not much different than the way that they develop in other industries between work colleagues. Of course, as with any industry, there are those who might try to abuse their power but I've thankfully never come across the clichéd dirty old professor who pervs out on postgrads at department parties or tries to coerce them into inappropriate sexual liaisons. Generally speaking, most academics are actually pretty mundane, often married, and have enough academic integrity to avoid getting involved with students for whom they're responsible in some capacity. Also, as you've pointed out...most of them are decidedly not sexy.

I think that can be arranged ;) I do quite enjoy a nice pair of stockings and suspenders, myself.

Thats it, yes perfect.

What hair colour are you going with?

Long dark brown hair maybe? Don't let me influence your plans though.

Eye Glasses?

Thats it, yes perfect.

What hair colour are you going with?

Long dark brown hair maybe? Don't let me influence your plans though.

Eye Glasses?

Haha I'm beginning to think you're reading my mind...

Long (mid-back), dark hair, dark, sloe eyes, light complexion. Eyeglasses, sometimes, but mostly contacts. But she's petite (which is my euphemistic way of saying she's really short) with a slender, hourglass shape. Her breasts aren't overly large as that would entirely overwhelm her frame but they're not nonexistent either; best assets are probably her bum and legs though. Did dance until she left for uni and has kept in shape since then by practicing yoga and pilates with the occasional dance class for fun. Being short means she has a preference for heels. I would describe her as 'elegant' rather than 'hot'.

That work for you?

Haha I'm beginning to think you're reading my mind...

Long (mid-back), dark hair, dark, sloe eyes, light complexion. Eyeglasses, sometimes, but mostly contacts. But she's petite (which is my euphemistic way of saying she's really short) with a slender, hourglass shape. Her breasts aren't overly large as that would entirely overwhelm her frame but they're not nonexistent either; best assets are probably her bum and legs though. Did dance until she left for uni and has kept in shape since then by practicing yoga and pilates with the occasional dance class for fun. Being short means she has a preference for heels. I would describe her as 'elegant' rather than 'hot'.

That work for you?

Oh my, I have no words. She is perfect, it's like your reading my mind.

Of course, as with any industry, there are those who might try to abuse their power but I've thankfully never come across the clichéd dirty old professor who pervs out on postgrads at department parties or tries to coerce them into inappropriate sexual liaisons.

I knew one of those. The guy used to recruit grad students from China, help them with visas, set them up renting a place he owned, and then put the moves on them. That falls very much under my "it's not consent if they don't know whether they can say no" rule. :-/

Interesting ideas, interesting comments. Here my take.

First of all, cut the age difference to maybe 15 years or so. Or even less is also perfectly acceptable (when I was in university, one of our classes was taught by a PhD student, who herself was the same age or younger than most of the students). Bright PhD student can make it to professor by the age of 30, 35 maybe. I understnad hwo she could be interested in him when he's around 50, not so much when he's 70+. At that age he won't be worth that much in bed, either.

Then you could make it a two-part story.

First part: she's attracted to her teacher big time, but he's in a relationship (married maybe, it always makes things more dramatic), then it breaks up by the time she's in her last year. She tries to make a pass on him, he seems interested, enormous tension can be built up but in the end nothing happens. She graduates and moves on, maybe gets a job in a different city.

Then maybe 20 years later they meet again, say at a congress (neutral environment, very plausible as it's their shared field of work/research). Old feelings instantly revive in her, and they realise they now live/work geographically close to one another.

The snag: now she's married herself...

I knew one of those. The guy used to recruit grad students from China, help them with visas, set them up renting a place he owned, and then put the moves on them. That falls very much under my "it's not consent if they don't know whether they can say no" rule. :-/

That is definitely despicable behaviour. I suppose, though, that that is the reasoning behind administrative bans on student/faculty relationships in general. While I, personally, have never been on the receiving end of unwanted professorial advances, I used to share a flat with a bloke who was an undergraduate tutor in his programme. (I guess the American equivalent would be a TA?) He used to routinely bring 17- and 18-year-old girls home with him who were students in his tutorials and it always used to make me uncomfortable not only because he was 35 when he was doing this but also, if they were his students, one can imagine that they might not necessarily feel as if they have the option of saying 'no'. And at that age, it's a rare woman who will report sexual misconduct to anyone.

First of all, cut the age difference to maybe 15 years or so. Or even less is also perfectly acceptable (when I was in university, one of our classes was taught by a PhD student, who herself was the same age or younger than most of the students). Bright PhD student can make it to professor by the age of 30, 35 maybe. I understnad hwo she could be interested in him when he's around 50, not so much when he's 70+. At that age he won't be worth that much in bed, either.

First part: she's attracted to her teacher big time, but he's in a relationship (married maybe, it always makes things more dramatic), then it breaks up by the time she's in her last year. She tries to make a pass on him, he seems interested, enormous tension can be built up but in the end nothing happens. She graduates and moves on, maybe gets a job in a different city.

Then maybe 20 years later they meet again, say at a congress (neutral environment, very plausible as it's their shared field of work/research). Old feelings instantly revive in her, and they realise they now live/work geographically close to one another.

Thanks for your thoughts. These ideas would definitely make a good story on their own but with different characters than the ones with which I'm working. Unfortunately, the age difference is kind of a necessary point because another stumbling block to the two characters getting together at all is the fact that he has children who are only a couple of years younger than she is, thus increasing his reticence to do anything. And besides, there's more to sex than just cock in vag...I think any action scenes in the second scenario could be enormously erotic even if he does have some trouble getting it up. ;)

a third twist

I would like to see another person enter say a female for the professor who is also interested in him. The sexual tension buile up grom the original student would reach a climax followed by a hard fall when she discovers the new female. This could lead to a second part where the original couple meet again and my mind would conjure up other thoughts.

In the UK the average time to complete a PHD is 3 years. A lecturer/(first year)Assistant Professor by age 26/27 in my opinion would be reasonable.

I would like to see another person enter say a female for the professor who is also interested in him. The sexual tension buile up grom the original student would reach a climax followed by a hard fall when she discovers the new female. This could lead to a second part where the original couple meet again and my mind would conjure up other thoughts.

Oh, that would be cruel. That said, I'd actually considered introducing a sort of 'rival' element...but after they'd already hooked up. Imagine how much worse it would be to take that step and then realise that there was someone else in the way? After all, she'd waited for three years at this point because he had been married when they first met and is only recently divorced. Whether or not I choose to go that route though will depend upon where the characters, themselves, take me. But I suppose this is rapidly turning into something more than just a stroke piece.

In the UK the average time to complete a PHD is 3 years. A lecturer/(first year)Assistant Professor by age 26/27 in my opinion would be reasonable.

Many undergraduate degrees can be completed in three years, master's programmes are generally a year long, and most doctoral programmes run for three years, so yes, technically, if a student went straight from secondary to university and graduate school, she would have her qualifications by 24, ostensibly, but many students take gap years and most fresh PhDs spend several years as post-doctoral researchers before being able to land a position as a junior lecturer. The youngest lecturers in my department are in the 33-35 age range.

That said, it is possible to write a story with both characters being quite close in age and I encourage anyone with interest in that to do so :)

Oh, that would be cruel. That said, I'd actually considered introducing a sort of 'rival' element...but after they'd already hooked up. Imagine how much worse it would be to take that step and then realise that there was someone else in the way? After all, she'd waited for three years at this point because he had been married when they first met and is only recently divorced. Whether or not I choose to go that route though will depend upon where the characters, themselves, take me. But I suppose this is rapidly turning into something more than just a stroke piece.

Many undergraduate degrees can be completed in three years, master's programmes are generally a year long, and most doctoral programmes run for three years, so yes, technically, if a student went straight from secondary to university and graduate school, she would have her qualifications by 24, ostensibly, but many students take gap years and most fresh PhDs spend several years as post-doctoral researchers before being able to land a position as a junior lecturer. The youngest lecturers in my department are in the 33-35 age range.

That said, it is possible to write a story with both characters being quite close in age and I encourage anyone with interest in that to do so :)

Those three year degrees don't get you to the graduate level am I correct? Is a fourth honours year not required.

Those three year degrees don't get you to the graduate level am I correct? Is a fourth honours year not required.

It depends on your discipline. In history, the fourth (honours) year can be taken in lieu of a master's year so that once that's complete, unless the student wants to enter a master's programme or is switching disciplines, s/he can apply immediately for admission to a doctoral programme.

I don't get it. A professional woman decided to trade sex for a grade. But she's having that sex with a guy who she's been badgering in class. Since the grade is on the line, you have a guy with a chip on his shoulder working over a woman who he doesn't like and has under his thumb...just doesn't seem like a good scenario for her. And then he gets to work with her? Awkward!

How about the woman is silent in class, amused at the cluelessness of the other students. She helps him out a few times, smiles exchanged. She quietly asks for an extension, he makes the joke, she agrees...
She would have agreed to it because she thinks it's funny, and knows she could have his balls in a sling. Cougar is an IN thing right now. He did it as a lame joke, gets surprised by her answer, and has no doubts she could take him down.

As far as spinning it a little different, sure, go for it. In fact, anything different that isn't deviate is welcome. If any given author wants to steal the idea, but doesn't know about computers, make it something you do know, like welding, or dietician, or ice road trucking, just a given profession that an experienced person would need an official certification in order to advance at work.

Slowly, I'm afraid. I won't have time to finish it properly until the end of this month, after I turn in my dissertation.

Back