Random Gamer Silliness

Status
Not open for further replies.
See I kinda side with Xander in both of those scenarios. I know I wouldn't have told Buffy heading into a life or death (not just for her, but for the entire world) with Spike as her back up that she should be stalling because Willow's gonna try the spell again. If anything I would have lied and claimed Willow slipped back out of consciousnesses because you couldn't afford to have her stalling. The world was about two seconds from ending when she did win. Going after Riley was the right thing too. I can't fault him on either choice. I did like that split persona thing with Xander.

I'll have to look into Robin Sachs voice acting, anything I should recognize just off the top of your head?

Oh, I'm supposed to care about her acting? My mistake.

He's in a ton of games, he's in the Dragon Age series and Mass Effect series, Knights of the Old Republic.. I think the only other major voice he did in TV/Movies was Sarris in Galaxy Quest, the green bad guy. He does a lot of narrating for audio books, I seek him out on Audible. Not many things where he is the actor, like in Buffy. Checking out his IMDB page it's almost strictly voice work in later years.

Heh. Fair enough. I do the same thing with apparently pretty guys. If they can't act, I don't care. The guy that played Superman in Smallville? /snore. I'd rather hang out with anybody, just anybody, with talent. Don't care what they look like.

I see what Spike's doing. He's being right. It's not trolling if the Nancyboy poofter refuses to see the simple truth of things. :)

Heh. Fair enough. I do the same thing with apparently pretty guys. If they can't act, I don't care. The guy that played Superman in Smallville? /snore. I'd rather hang out with anybody, just anybody, with talent. Don't care what they look like.

The last panel of this comic neatly summarizes my counter point.
http://www.girlswithslingshots.com/

What really broke me was Theoden in Lord of the Rings, saying "No parent should ever have to bury their child."

I just lost it.

And I hope nobody in the theater heard it.

It sneaks up on you in stories. My brother killed himself and my mother was...broken. I came very close and I can't even pretend how horrifying it is to experience the reality, only what it is to come close and think it would be true, not to have it true in every new moment.

Seeing that on the big screen... was like a sledgehammer to the chest.

I just thought about her yesterday, by coincidence.

No real reason, just sometimes that happens out of the blue...

How different things would have been, right?

I see what Spike's doing. He's being right. It's not trolling if the Nancyboy poofter refuses to see the simple truth of things. :)

The last panel of this comic neatly summarizes my counter point.
http://www.girlswithslingshots.com/

Yes, I just wish the constant fantasies of other people didn't intrude into my elegant storytelling. But it's like commercials. If I want the stories, I'm going to have to deal with the twitchy boob-bearers.

It sneaks up on you in stories. My brother killed himself and my mother was...broken. I came very close and I can't even pretend how horrifying it is to experience the reality, only what it is to come close and think it would be true, not to have it true in every new moment.
And finally we bond.

We are so fucking holding hands right now...

Seeing that on the big screen... was like a sledgehammer to the chest.

I just thought about her yesterday, by coincidence.

No real reason, just sometimes that happens out of the blue...

How different things would have been, right?

It's not just the death itself, I found, it's all the references to the person in your life that used to be neutral or pleasant and are now toxic and radioactive and soul crushing.

I felt like there were constant holes I was falling into and re-injuring myself. Something simple like rosemary in a picture or a cupboard...he really liked rosemary potatoes...remember that time we made rosemary potatoes on Thanksgiving and he had to make special trips to three stores...

Every bit of ground was now untested and could collapse under me at any moment. It took me a long while before I could label each of those moments and try to avoid or evade them. But the fresh grief is impossible to navigate and is nothing like what I thought it would be. Even now I can fall in. Such a loss to the world.

Yes, I just wish the constant fantasies of other people didn't intrude into my elegant storytelling. But it's like commercials. If I want the stories, I'm going to have to deal with the twitchy boob-bearers.

I'll try, but I make no promises. But hey, we can meet halfway and go animated! Then I get hot chicks and if the story sucks it's not because of the chicks it's because the story sucked.

I'll try, but I make no promises. But hey, we can meet halfway and go animated! Then I get hot chicks and if the story sucks it's not because of the chicks it's because the story sucked.

I know it's the cost of public storytelling. But I don't have to like it!

Yeah I guess it's the price we pay, but I'm not so much the sit back and relax. I to tend to make sure my case is well known and I'll do what I can to not help (not that it always matters) but yeah.

Yeah I guess it's the price we pay, but I'm not so much the sit back and relax. I to tend to make sure my case is well known and I'll do what I can to not help (not that it always matters) but yeah.

I like Bioware because they often let me tell my own story and I get to be a girl.

But still...I noticed in the cutscenes where "The Champion" is represented in art...it's male art.

GODDAMMIT!

I'm sensitive to gender bias. I'm bloody well tired of boobs on billboards, women looking at me like I want to have sex with them, and expecting that my motivation for living is to gain access to boobs to enjoy them and then keep score.

*sigh*

Wellll...I did keep my word to myself to not cheat yesterday. But I couldn't make it through today. Been raising stamina to have higher strength and it would take me two more levels to raise my magicka enough to join the college.

Godmode.

I feel dirty. But so much less frustrated.

Yeah, I don't forsee that changing in the gaming world for quite some time if ever. I wish I could really appreciate your frustration but as a fairly standard male it's just slightly to the left of where I can force my brain to wander.

But I figure if hundreds of years of literature, a hundred years give or take of cinema, a few decades worth of television have proven anything it's that this isn't something that's particularly likely to change in any great way any time soon.

Besides my ability to sympathize with the explotation of women gets a little diluted when I look at things for girls, presumably by girls. Bratz, Barbie, Winx, WITCH, to a lesser degree, Kim Possible, Buffy (especially Seasons 1 and 2, really look at how her fashion sense evolves from sexy spunky to cute and practical as the show continues on) various athletes etc etc. It's hard for me to feel like the US Women's Volley Ball team is being exploited and as a result it's hard for me to feel like WWE or Xena are exploitation either. Women seem more than content to exploit their own damn selves with terribly little outside motivation (not saying there isn't any) but Sailor Moon, by a woman, for a female audience and with a few exceptions (you won't catch me defending Ivy of Soul Caliber unless I'm simply bored) I'm having a hard time feeling bad about it.

I can't help but use the smartass responses with alister. I laugh my ass off. I see how you can get attached to the characters though.

Yeah, I don't forsee that changing in the gaming world for quite some time if ever. I wish I could really appreciate your frustration but as a fairly standard male it's just slightly to the left of where I can force my brain to wander.

But I figure if hundreds of years of literature, a hundred years give or take of cinema, a few decades worth of television have proven anything it's that this isn't something that's particularly likely to change in any great way any time soon.

Besides my ability to sympathize with the explotation of women gets a little diluted when I look at things for girls, presumably by girls. Bratz, Barbie, Winx, WITCH, to a lesser degree, Kim Possible, Buffy (especially Seasons 1 and 2, really look at how her fashion sense evolves from sexy spunky to cute and practical as the show continues on) various athletes etc etc. It's hard for me to feel like the US Women's Volley Ball team is being exploited and as a result it's hard for me to feel like WWE or Xena are exploitation either. Women seem more than content to exploit their own damn selves with terribly little outside motivation (not saying there isn't any) but Sailor Moon, by a woman, for a female audience and with a few exceptions (you won't catch me defending Ivy of Soul Caliber unless I'm simply bored) I'm having a hard time feeling bad about it.

No, I don't mind boobs or pretty or attractive. I mind when it's clearly exploitive. A shower scene in silhouette? For me? No, I don't think so. It's for someone else who doesn't want to follow a narrative or a director who think a shower scene is a cheap way to get viewers. One creates the other. Then a sharp director comes along and makes fun of the trope of the shower scene and that's even better.

I think it has more to do with people who create stories to get attention rather than those who create stories to...create stories. Advertising is to get attention. Stories themselves are art and can fit all genders and agess. There's a huge billboard along the road here. 3/4 boobs and a woman's hand holding money. The tagline "She's Stacked" - it's for a pawn shop. I get I'm not the audience. But a majority of advertising and movies follow that vein.

I think it's men being exploited most of the time. I'm fine with boobs and stripping and prostitution. It's not the women who pay, it's the women who rake in stacks of money. But because it's essentially exploitive of a need of men, then the men insist that the exploitation have the flavor of women being exploited to mask the fact that they feel manipulated by having to pay for access to boobs. It's an inverse thing that is not what it appears to be due to its social complexity. Yes, we can get that it's inherently sort of pathetic, but it's not for the reasons often exhibited. "Strip clubs are male freedom!" (bullshit) "Strippers are exploited!" (some of them put themselves through school)

I don't really believe that men inherently hold more power than I do. I have boobs. I can make and have made babies. I'm cool with my gender role. In fact have had more assistance from men in my life than from women.

There's the point about British people deciding Americans are too ignorant to accept the name "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" because Harry isn't a philosopher, and that's a reference to history, and Americans are obviously ignorant, let's just change it to Sorceror's stone and they can get away with insulting Americans and feeling superior and not teaching anybody anything new. The "Stacked" advertising is like that. It's a poor assumption that misses realities and panders to the lowest denominator because the person making the decision is not terribly bright to begin with. It risks alienating as much as it catches attention.

I think lots of ads and movies are like that. The balance of power and the cycle of "exploitation" are ignored and you only see the surface, and that's the loss. There are powers in motion that are ignored when that story isn't told, that's sad.

Part of what made Buffy so different is that its trying to reverse stereotypes and the things that frighten and scare us, laugh at them and kick their ass, while still counting the human costs. It's a good story. Joss Whedon would ask, okay, what scared the crap out of you as a kid, and how can we make it funny? The idea for Buffy occurred to him while watching some poor teeny blond chick get stalked in a horror film and thought it would be so much better if she could turn around and kick it's ass.

Much of the stuff out there is exploitive and has no intent of telling a new story, just an old one that's been proven to sell.

I do believe we get better over time, if you want to look at the "Oh, ho, ho, you stupid woman" ads in the 50's with a paternal gentleman enlightening a silly housewife as to which is the best soap powder, and then look at the ads now, we're funnier, sharper, and more subtle and more intending to amuse to catch attention than to shock or to pander. Good! Keep it up. Movies get better, TV gets better and ads get better. There's just still a bunch of crap out there that doesn't break new ground.

I can't help but use the smartass responses with alister. I laugh my ass off. I see how you can get attached to the characters though.

They're endearing. I was even surprised in Dragon Age 2 how endearing. I made fun of Isabella and now I think she's about the coolest person out there for many reasons. I'm irritated with other characters but...I really get it. It makes sense and it's worth in most cases getting everyone's story fully told. Shale kicks my ass. There's one line Morrigan says that can make me cry.

When you follow and earn all the story lines and social achievements, it's worth it. I'm glad you're having fun. I think it's a kaleidoscope of cool.

There are a few times when I was terrified that using the funny option with Alastair would make him cringe and pout, but sometimes it's really worth it to save before social interaction, run through a conversation, run through it again with different responses and even if your faction drops by 20 points, it was probably really damned worth it and then you can restore. Sometimes the funny option is the best one and someone will laugh along with you and crack another priceless joke. :D

I swear, when I had to harden Alastair and the time i dumped him for Zevran, I had to remind myself he wasn't real.

I'm trying not to loss off morrigan. I've learned pissed off witches are bad (willow and other dark mages) but uh...oops

Also I've been beating the loss outta rocksmith bass mode. Probably 2/3 of the songs I've played so far I've got 100 percent first try

-snipped as I have little or no argument-​

I do believe we get better over time, if you want to look at the "Oh, ho, ho, you stupid woman" ads in the 50's with a paternal gentleman enlightening a silly housewife as to which is the best soap powder, and then look at the ads now, we're funnier, sharper, and more subtle and more intending to amuse to catch attention than to shock or to pander. Good! Keep it up. Movies get better, TV gets better and ads get better. There's just still a bunch of crap out there that doesn't break new ground.

I'd argue that if the point is that women were portrayed as stupid back in the day (a debatable point but one I'll cede since the other option would involve hours of watchin television that somehow sounds unappealing. Who'da thunk it. Hours of TV sounding like work?

I would say in a very real way guys have just gotten the script flipped on them for the last twenty years. I don't think that when I can go, Simpsons, King of the Hill, Married with Children, Unhappily Ever After, Family Guy and you already know who the common character is in all these shows that we can exactly claim that things are anywhere near an equilibrium of any sort. It's just it's our turn to be stupid and useless for quite a while. We still dominate action but we still dominate the military and sports too and baring some evolutionary change we're gonna dominate in that for another long stretch cus you simply have to be really good at a physical activity to overcome the size differences on average.

It doesn't help that guys are a bit pickier (and women don't as a whole seem to be much more forgiving regardless of what they claim) about what women can and can't star in a leading role as opposed to what guys can star in a leading role so I'd be willing to bet that the pool of male potential lead actors is simply deeper than female lead actors but that's just me guessing.

I'm trying not to loss off morrigan. I've learned pissed off witches are bad (willow and other dark mages) but uh...oops

Also I've been beating the loss outta rocksmith bass mode. Probably 2/3 of the songs I've played so far I've got 100 percent first try

Heh. "Swooping is bad." Mentioned in DA2 too. Yaaay!

It's nearly impossible to not piss off Morrigan. I park her in camp so she isn't frustrated with me not killing every single person I meet.

Woo hoo!

I'll probably have to process that for a little bit.

Okay. As far as I'm concerned, sex is a need like food. You pay someone to cook for you, you can pay someone to have sex with you.

There doesn't really need to be an emotional attachment. Yes, food is better when prepared with love, but it is life sustaining either way. Same with sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back