The Official Authors' Hangout Winter Holidays 2017 Support Thread

So, three days.
I submitted on Thursday, might see it on Monday, maybe Sunday.

I don't think Laurel has been putting very many stories up on the weekend. If you posted it Thursday and she was unable to get it out on Friday then Monday seems likely.
 
So, three days.
I submitted on Thursday, might see it on Monday, maybe Sunday.

Only for contests, and around the weekend since Laurel stopped adding stories to contests over the weekend for the most part.

It's nothing unusual for a story to go live within hours ( even minutes, if you're lucky ) when submitted to a contest earlier in the week. The normal queue wait time doesn't apply to contests.
 
How do you know when you are writing the wrong story? When you finally get to a sex scene closing in on 200kb... and it's NOTHING like what you were writing towards when you started. :eek:

Totally not sure if I'm going to wrestle this beast into submission before deadline, but I guess I'll keep trying until it goes whistling past and I look up wondering aloud "What was that?"
 
Damn near forgot to put mine back in the queue, as my muse wouldn't leave that bloody Lamia idea I had alone. Finished a 6k word mostly weird sex opening for it, and that seemed to satisfy my muse's demands to do something with it now.

I'll delve into the deeper mythology ( and more weird sex ) half of it later. I have SOTM 21 to work on.

Holly Jolley has been in there for about 6 hours now, so I'm hoping Laurel posts it with the morning batch for tomorrow.
 
Mine went up yesterday.
How can you tell how many votes you've received?
I see the score, well scores, but I'm curious how many votes comprise that aggregate.
 
My question is what is "official?"

Officiated by whom? Orders? Who from?
 
My question is what is "official?"

Officiated by whom? Orders? Who from?

Official? It is an Authors' Hangout tradition that we have a support thread for all the themed contests.

It has become 'official' because it is endorsed (and linked) by Laurel in the sticky thread announcing each contest. Even so, official means nothing except by tradition.

The orders? There aren't any except those enforced by the moderators. This thread is to support and encourage authors, particularly those considering entering a contest for the first time. It is NOT for moans and complaints about the contest system. They can go into other threads.
 
https://literotica.com/my/#/works/stories/published

Log in, if necessary. Scroll down to the story, and the vote total will be there. If it's truncated to 1.1k or something, hover over it with your cursor and it will expand into the full number of votes. Ditto for views.

Mine went up yesterday.
How can you tell how many votes you've received?
I see the score, well scores, but I'm curious how many votes comprise that aggregate.
 
I've just hit the submit button for my fifth entry as oggbashan. It's a 3-lit-page historical story.

Blame NaNoWriMo for the five entries as me and one as jeanne_d_artois. NaNo drove me to finish older stories and start new.

Total word count for Winter Holidays Contest:

25,401 as oggbashan
9,169 as jeanne_d_artois
Total
34,570
 
Last edited:
78 entries now. I've encouraged Golden Angel to submit one too.

Mine has sunk without a trace.


Btw, trying to think of a thread to stick this in: I'm moving house soon and I have a load of Blace Lace Omnibuses (Omnibi?) that I need to dispose of. Anyone in the UK want them for postage costs? Was going to stick them on eBay, but I'm running out of time.
 
I only had a couple of goals for mine. One I've already met, because I'm up about 15 followers already. That should push me high enough above 200 on the all-time favorite list to keep me from slipping back below it, so long as I don't take a year-long hiatus again :p

On track for the other as well. 12 hours in, I'm a little over 500 votes, aiming for 1k in 24 hours. :D
 
Last edited:
The number after the forward slash right next to your score is the vote total.

The one farther to the left is the views.
 
So, you're telling me 9K+ people voted? I thought maybe that was the number who had just viewed it.

9k is the number of views (clicks onto the first page, you can't assume they have all read the whole story). The score is next to the star: 4.33/18. Score = 4.33, off 18 votes.
 
1000.jpg


Mission accomplished with a few hours to spare :D
 
My fifth and final entry as oggbashan is now posted. Thank you Laurel.

https://www.literotica.com/s/men-at-arms

Five entries as me and one as jeanne_d_artois is a record for me. It was a combination of trying to do 50,000 words for NaNoWriMo and less interference from the grandchildren who are getting slightly older and less demanding.

NaNo also started two Valentine Day stories but my aim for 2018 is to reach 300 stories as oggbashan and several more as jeanne_d_artois.

There's still time to submit for the Winter Holidays contest if you have a nearly completed story. Me? I've done...
 
Well, despite that little nag behind my left ear telling me a) it's not that great, b) it's too late to garner that many votes, and c) it really is a steaming pile of "no one will give a", I managed to finish up the Turkey Tale and just hit "submit".

As for goals, I admit my goal for this one was just to write something. And it kept me from curling up in a ball for last month or more.

At any rate, now I'm going to curl up in that ball for at least a week. I'll try to check back to congratulate the winners.

Best of luck to all the more (much more!) serious contenders. :rose::cool:
 
Just made a very, very last minute submission.

Phew.

Didn't have time to edit it much but I knew that if I waited 'til next year, I'd never publish it.

So there it is.
 
Back
Top