IC Not so normal day

Andrew shoved most of the vials into his pockets, luckily the hoodie had deep pockets, he placed the rest on the window sill. Pushing open the window he leaned out, there was a few of the creatures stumbling about. He started searching the room, all he could find was a whole bunch of lab coats. He starting tieing them together, the girl looked slim and he was sure the coats would take her weight. He tied the top coat to the window frame and turned towards her.

"I'm going out onto the roof, when you hear explosions, check if these things move away, let the other girl know about it so that she can open the door for us. When they move away, throw the coats out and clim down. I will follow you."

He waited until she nodded her understanding, the from within his hoodie he withdrew a pair of shuko claws, slipping them on he climbed out of the window, shimmied along the wall to the rain duct which he used to climb to the roof, slipping the claws back, he pulled the vials from his pocket.

"Here goes nothing."

He tossed one at a creature, it exploded on impact and set the creature ablaze, those close to the creature turned to stare at it. He tossed two more and others started to move closer to have a look at the noise and light.

Lilly was double checking all the stuff she had packed when the silence was broken by a distant explosion. Running out the door she looked through the window at the end of the hallway in the distance next to the science labs she noticed the body burning whilst others looked on.

It was until she had been staring at the body not lying on the ground that she realized they were making a break for it, running down the stairs trying not to fall as she ran, she grabbed the door's handle and waited, sneaking quick glances out of the window in the door frame...

"Come on... Come on..." she whispered standing from one foot to the other, checking behind her she held her breath as she noticed the science lab door opening in the distance.

Upon recieving her instructions, Mazie kept her foot on the window, in ready position. She tightened her bag around her and then heard the explosion. She closed her eyes tightly for a moment at the light and sound that bombarded her senses before looking back out across the campus to the dorm building. She then tugged slightly on the makeshift rope as she prepared for her descent. She looked at the gathering mass of creatures.

"And I thought the kids here were stupid..."

She then went back to the task at hand and began waving her arms wildly and making herself visible in the hopes of being seen by the other girl. After a moment of that, she wasted no time in throwing the rope down and proceeding to climb down the wall. At one point, she almost kicked and broke a window, but barely managed to land her foot on its sill and avoid attracting the monsters' attention. She moved more slowly than she would have liked as she tried to keep an eye out both for the zombies and for her yet-to-reappear companion.

Holding her breath Lilly watched as she saw another girl climbing out of one of the labs windows.. 'is she crazy?' she thought shaking her head she returned her attention back to the present.

Slowly pushing on the handle the dorm door opened a little, she sighed when she realised the creak was no longer there as the janitor had repaired it. looking behind her she checked, nothing, looking back she opened the door a little wider hoping the girl across would notice the the small opening.

Lilly could only watch as the girl climbed down, she began biting her bottom lip as the nerves began creeping up on her, all she wanted to do was shout but then if she did that they probably all would die. Taking a deep breath she kept a strong grip on the door.

Gazing up to the roof of the science labs she noticed the other person, they were definitely crazy! she tried not the chuckle to herself.

"Ok..." she whispered, more to herself..."We can do this."

He tossed another vial, setting another creature on fire, then he ran to the edge of the roof where the open window should be. Sliding over the edge, he gripped the gutter, then dropped. He landed on the sill, grabbing the open window for support, then he almost slid down the make shift rope and ran after the girl. A creature shambled around the corner of the dorm building, drawing one of the art knives, he threw it. It struck the creature in the left eye, even though he had aimed for the right. The rushed into the opening door, it closed behind them and Andrew found that they have just met the other survivor as she closed the door behind them.

"Well now, that was fun."

Mazie had her hands on her knees trying to catch her breath but turned her head and looked up at the boy and couldn't help but turn up the corners of her mouth into a small smile.

"Ain't that the understatement of the year."

She stood up straight and adopted her usual posture of crossed arms and cocked hip.

"So, which would you guys rather do now? Make nice or go get some food?"

Slamming the door closed Lily put her head against the door trying to calm her beating heart. Taking a deep breath she closed her eyes before turning around looking at the two other survivors.

"Erm..." she muttered but knowing she lacked the social skills she just bowed her head and walked past the other two, and into the dorm room.
Grabbing the rucksack she opened it and looked through, smiling when she found the pre-packed sandwiches, grabbing them she walked back to the other two, "Here." she offered a little awkwardly.

"The stuff is packed." she pointed to the room.

Running a hand through her hair she sat down on the floor, they had all made it this far but this was only the beginning.

Glancing at his watch he noticed it was noon already, things really moved fast. He accepted te sandwich,

"Thank you."

He looked through the window as the fires had died down, the rest of the creatures had moved away.

"Right, first up I'm Andrew Cross, Tech major."

He peered down the hall,

"And if we get out of here I'm having myself a cold beer."

Mazie took the sandwich from the girl and felt her manners kick back in.

"Thank you. I'm Mazie Daniels. And as soon as I finish this sandwich, I'm gonna go empty my secret stash and loot my roommate's stuff."

She took another bite of her sandwich and glanced at the other girl. The girls' mannerisms reminded Mazie a lot of her best friend...

"Damn...even thousands of miles away that girl has me wrapped around her finger..."

"I'm Lilly Collins." nodding Lilly realised they should get moving after all she doubted it would be long before more of them 'things' came out of the wood work.

Standing up she stretched her arms above her head, "Once we have everything together, where should we go next?" she shrugged as she began thinking but nothing was coming to her mind at the moment.

Walking to Mazie's room she grabbed her rucksack and took a quick look through double checking everything once more, trying to keep her mind occupied on something else other then surviving.

Andrew opened his sandwich and started to chew,

"First would be to collect as many things as we can easily carry. We will need weapons other than what you two have. Then we will need to find out if it is worth the effort to escape, if it's not worse outside than in here."

He took another bite, chewed and swallowed,

"Oh and if we do decide to get out, we will need to find the on-duty guard, his card will open the gates. Only problem is that their cards are coded and between the ten of them staying on campus we will have to find the right one which opens the gates at the right time it's scheduled to open."

Lilly began tying her hair once more into a ponytail, putting her hands on her hips she sighed deeply, "They could be anywhere..."
Pacing up and down the dorm hallway she tried to think of the schedule, it was then she heard another scream which seems to be echoing from outside, it gave her the shivers.

"Doesn't the dorm lead back to the maintenance building? surely they would have a back up key there?..." she knew she was probably clutching at straws but in her mind she could vaguely remember the principal describing the security layout in emergencies....

Biting her lip she walked to Mazie's room and grabbed her rucksack and the baseball bat, "I have a first aid kit, food and a few bottles of water."
Walking back she stood the baseball bat seeming heavy in her grip all of a sudden, "If you do decide to get out, where do we go?" she asked aloud but it was more to herself the question was aimed.

She finished her sandwich and once back in her room, Mazie went to her closet and opened the top box.

"I'll let you guys handle strategy. You two seem to be better at that than I am. I'll handle supplies since I'm not that smart. "

She started pulling the MRE's out of the box and filling her bag with them. She emptied out the art needles except for a few. She found her camp pack and started filling it too. She then went to her nightstand and pulled out her boxcutter and the gun her father had given her.

"I really hoped that I'd never have to use this..."

She pulled out some bullets and grabbed her phone charger from the wall. She raided her closet for some clothes and started going through her roommate's stuff.

He shook his head and smiled,

"There was a spare key, but the system changed after those students snuck out two weeks ago?"

He followed Mazie and saw her pull a gun out,

"Wow ok, you are definitely better armed than I thought."

He started to move down the corridor, checking each room, it seemed like the dorm was empty, which was strange.

After stealing some toiletries and most of her roommate's diet food, she hooked her schoolbag to her camping pack and turned back to the other two, though aiming her next statement at Andrew.

"Never doubt an overprotective father."

She popped a fresh magazine into the gun and flipped on the safety before jamming it back in her front pocket with a little more effort than it probably should have taken.

"Dammit...why are women's jeans all made so fucking tight? I'm only wearing men's jeans from now on if I get out of this shit alive."

"I don't know how much you guys can haul, but if you two wanna get some of your stuff too, I've still got room in my bag and strength to spare."

She moved to the door and looked to her comrades for reply.

After concluding his search of the floor they were on he came back down the hallway,

"I basically have all I need and I can make-do with what I can get on the way."

He grinned,

"Oh and we can distribute the carrying load, don't want you lagging while we run away from the things outside. It's just a recipe for disaster."

"That's sweet of you to offer, but I don't think you need to worry too much about me. As it is, you and Lily will have to carry a bag apiece anyway since we filled three others besides my camp pack. I'll try to fit the smallest one in my pack so you two won't have to carry much. It's the least I can do."

She brandished her arm in an attempt to convey her strength, though it probably just looked quite ridiculous since her jacket covered her arm and fit too loosely for anyone to actually see her muscles, let alone be impressed by them.

Lilly stood and listened to Andrew and Mazie, shuddering a little when she saw the gun, swallowing nervously she tightened her grip on the rucksack,

"If Mazie says she can carry it, I believe her. I think the more pressing matter is over riding the security system and planning where we can go from there..." she thought to herself for a moment..

"But first lets just focus on getting this security system overridden, then we can plan the next step from there..."

Pulling her other arm through the rucksack she adjusted it on her back, "Ready?" she asked looking at the other two, social awkwardness apart it was survival that was keeping Lilly going, and she had to admit planning had always made her mind calm.

He quickly slipped into the room, grabbing the bag that was there, slipping it over his shoulder and securing it as best he could, he moved out to join the other two.

"I am as ready as I can be, but you do know the moment we open that door..."

He imitated one of the creatures,

"Aaaaarghehuaah."

He ran the back of his hand over his brow,

"Also judging from the lack of movement in and out of the building, it seems like the security locks is activated. How we got out of the service entrance I do not know."

Mazie stuffed the smallest of the other bags into her camp pack, readjusted herself, did one last check, and steeled herself before returning to the hall.

"I'm set. I might as well say this now. If it looks like we can't just run through them and there are too many to fend off, you guys take the supplies and leave me. If I can't escape, then at least I'm the most disposable member of the group. All my camping supplies still has instructions with it, so you guys don't even need me for that."

She couldn't help but chuckle a little at Andrew's impression but it was when Mazie spoke that all humour vanished.

"We can't leave you!"

She began pacing whilst thinking, "Ok." she smiled, "If we all go as a group we will be slow and easy to spot! Why don't we go one at a time?"

She looked at Andrew and Mazie, "The maintenance building is across from here, the service door is down the back staircase it should be accessible." Lilly knew it probably would after all it was only a couple of days ago when the girls dorm decided to sneak in boys and all hell broke loose.

"One of us goes first, then the other two will wait for a signal then we go one at a time. It will take more time, but i think its our safest bet..." She hoped they would understand. There was no way she could just leave someone behind, no matter if she had just met them.

"How does that sound?" she smiled awkwardly once more.

Mazie looked at the girl and felt another twinge of nostalgia. She did what hopefully passed as a comforting gesture by putting a hand on Lily's shoulder, which was actually a little awkward as the girl was a bit taller than her.

"Look, I was just trying to be practical. You're a good girl to not want anyone lost, but even if we use your plan or a different one and get through this hurdle alive, we could still die. And I think that since I have the least to offer, I should go first if things get to that point. I know you don't know me much, but you remind me a lot of my best friend and that's part of the reason I'd rather you live than me. We need more good-hearted people like you in this world and Andrew's practically a ninja superhero from what I've seen. You guys could actually do things if you get out of this alive. All I'd do is go back home and die in a different fight anyway."

She knew that her bluntness about death would probably upset the girl, but being overly optimistic would be pointless too. She hoped that Andrew would agree with her so they could just move out soon.

"Ninja superhero?"

Andrew was a bit taken aback by this,

"It's that obvious? Not the superhero part of course."

But then he shook his head,

"Listen, if you get attacked by those things, you become them, you will most probably not die until the weather and time takes it's toll on a walking corpse. I do not believe you have nothing to offer, that is utter nonsense. Already you have proved to be courageous and a quick thinker. There is more in you, so don't start the depro ramble, believe in yourself."

He grinned,

"Anyway, you have the admin key and since I'm the ninja superhero, I will take point, I know how to get around unseen even in the day and I am pretty sure I can take on a couple of these things if the need arise."

Mazie was dumbstruck at Andrew's reply.

"Are you telling me you're actually real-live fucking ninja?!"

She then clamped her hand over her mouth, knowing she was much too loud and that was dangerous. She agreed with his plan and offered to take the rear.

"I'll be last since I seem to be the second strongest and can use this baby here"-gesturing to the gun on her hip-"if need be. But since you're going in first, you should probably have the key."

She turned to Lily and awaited reply.

"Are you okay with this?"

Smiling Lily nodded "Yep lets go, this place gives me the creeps."

It was too quiet and it seemed they had been standing there too long pushing their luck. Checking the rucksack was secure she tightened her ponytail it was time to be brave.

Taking a deep breath she looked to Andrew, "Ok quick plan update then can we go."

Back