Seldom-used words - M to A

Welcome, BonBon. Those are great words, but I only know the definitions to two of them.

Og, it seems like the female genitalia certainly has a lot of slang names, especially over the centuries of time. Thanks for enlightening us all.

For the record, my dictionary says that mumblety-peg comes from the French phrase for the game, mumble the peg, in which the loser must pull out with his teeth a peg driven into the ground.

mum(3) - noun a strong ale or beer

Welcome, BonBon. Those are great words, but I only know the definitions to two of them.

The definitions were written beside the two words :)

BB.

man·u·stu·pra·tion noun \ˌman-yu̇-stü-ˈprā-shən\

Definition of MANUSTUPRATION

: masturbation

man·sworn adjective \ˈman¦swȯ(ə)rn, -swȯ(ə)n\

Full Definition of MANSWORN

: forsworn, perjured
Origin of MANSWORN

ME, fr. past part. of mansweren to swear falsely, fr. OE mānswerian, fr. mān crime, guilt, sin, false oath + swerian to swear; akin to OFris & OS mēn crime, guilt, false oath, OHG & ON mein crime, guilt, false oath, OE mān, adj., criminal, bad, false.

I am assuming this works Handley :D

Last edited:
Fixed my original and added a new one :)

mollitious (mɒlˈɪʃəs)

Definitions
adjective

sensual and self-indulgent

My apologies, BonBon, I didn't quite understand your posting format and thanks for answering my question. I really don't care how anyone posts a word here, as long as I don't have to look up the definition. Other than that, post freely and regularly, I would say. LOL

Today will be my last post for a few days, maybe a week, or two. Tomorrow morning, I am heading to San Pedro to take a cruise to Mexico for 8 days and am leaving early to visit family, who live in the area. The boat has an internet café, so if I feel inclined, I might pop in, post a word, and mention how much fun I am having. I sincerely hope you will carry on without me, and I will look forward to reading whatever you have decided to post, when I get the chance. Thanks for being such a good group to hang with.

Back to a previous entry:

mum(1) - adj SILENT [keep ~]

Therefore:

mum(2) - vi 1. to act or play usually in mask or disguise 2. to go about merrymaking in disguise during festivals

From this, I would assume that the second definition predates the first. Is this correct?

Shorter Oxford Dictionary:

Mum A 1. Late Middle English. An inarticulate sound made with closed lips. 2. Refusal to speak, silence 1582. 3. A silent person 1808

Mum B interjection Silence! Not a word! late ME

Mum C Strictly silent or secret. 1521.

Mum now historic - A kind of beer brewed in Brunswick. 1640

Mum shortened form of Mummy 1823 A pet form of mother.

Mum Middle Low German mummen; Dutch mommen; 1. To silence, to put to silence up to 1654. 2. To make an inarticulate sound with closed lips, hence to keep silence - up to 1637. 3. To whisper up to 1680. 4. To act in dumb show; to play as a mummer. 1530

Mum. Vulgar form of Ma'am

Hist Slang:

Mum-tip - bribe to stay silent, to refuse to be a witness.

My apologies, BonBon, I didn't quite understand your posting format and thanks for answering my question. I really don't care how anyone posts a word here, as long as I don't have to look up the definition. Other than that, post freely and regularly, I would say. LOL

Today will be my last post for a few days, maybe a week, or two. Tomorrow morning, I am heading to San Pedro to take a cruise to Mexico for 8 days and am leaving early to visit family, who live in the area. The boat has an internet café, so if I feel inclined, I might pop in, post a word, and mention how much fun I am having. I sincerely hope you will carry on without me, and I will look forward to reading whatever you have decided to post, when I get the chance. Thanks for being such a good group to hang with.

Back to a previous entry:

mum(1) - adj SILENT [keep ~]

Therefore:

mum(2) - vi 1. to act or play usually in mask or disguise 2. to go about merrymaking in disguise during festivals

From this, I would assume that the second definition predates the first. Is this correct?

Enjoy your trip sounds like a fun time!!! Soak up some sun for me while you are there and enjoy the visit...

Enjoying this thread so far...so good!

Bb

BonBon, to be honest, it is my first cruise and it is a Swinger Lifestyle cruise to boot. I am a little nervous, actually, but it should be loads of sexy fun! I am taking along a voice recorder to instantly save my reactions. I wouldn't share that inside information anywhere else.

Og, so, which do you think came first, the silent aspect of mum, or the merrymaking in disguise?

multure - noun chiefly Scot: a fee for grinding grain at a mill

Og, so, which do you think came first, the silent aspect of mum, or the merrymaking in disguise?

The silent aspect. Late Middle English is 1350ish. The merrymaking 'mum' is 1530.

But the activity of mummers, even if not called that, was very early, earlier than the word.

Og, that is what I thought. Merrymaking in disguise is very old, indeed, and I think some of those genes made their way into me. hehe

Great poster, Handley, thanks for adding it.

multiple star - noun several stars in close proximity that appear to form a single system

Shorter Oxford Dictionary:

Mum. Vulgar form of Ma'am

It should probably be noted, that the word vulgar[/i] here is almost certainly being used in its primary sense, meaning of the common people, and not in its more common secondary sense of boorish; offensive to good taste.

It should probably be noted, that the word vulgar[/i] here is almost certainly being used in its primary sense, meaning of the common people, and not in its more common secondary sense of boorish; offensive to good taste.

This use of Mum for Ma'am is usually attributed to 19th century servant women - who were frequently targets for satire in Punch.

merrymaking - noun

joyful or festive activity <Christmas Eve is always an occasion of much merrymaking at our home>

Synonyms: conviviality, festivity, gaiety (also gayety), jollification, jollity, merriment, rejoicing, reveling (or revelling), revelry, whoopee

(just a bump so Allard can find it again. :p)

merrymaking - noun

joyful or festive activity <Christmas Eve is always an occasion of much merrymaking at our home>

Synonyms: conviviality, festivity, gaiety (also gayety), jollification, jollity, merriment, rejoicing, reveling (or revelling), revelry, whoopee

(just a bump so Allard can find it again. :p)

And very timely, too.

Hello posters, I have returned and am recovering from too much fun, of course.

Thanks for the bump, Harold.

I don't hear or read this one very often any more, does anyone else?

multifarious - adj having great variety: DIVERSE

Hello posters, I have returned and am recovering from too much fun, of course.

Thanks for the bump, Harold.

I don't hear or read this one very often any more, does anyone else?

multifarious - adj having great variety: DIVERSE

It's used quite a bit in the Trade press, rather to my surprise.

Handley, I do believe the English use more of their language than any other so-called English-speakers on Earth. What they do to words in the Southern part of America is almost unintelligible. Just ask anyone, who lives back there, how to say Louisville and then stand back and wonder how they could possibly come up with that.

These next two are food related and I hope someone has a story about the first one;

mulligatawny - noun a soup usually of chicken stock seasoned with curry

mulligan - noun a stew basically of vegetables and meat or fish

Handley, I do believe the English use more of their language than any other so-called English-speakers on Earth. What they do to words in the Southern part of America is almost unintelligible. Just ask anyone, who lives back there, how to say Louisville and then stand back and wonder how they could possibly come up with that.

These next two are food related and I hope someone has a story about the first one;

mulligatawny - noun a soup usually of chicken stock seasoned with curry

mulligan - noun a stew basically of vegetables and meat or fish

And in golf, a mulligan is an extra stroke allowed after a poor shot, not counted on the score card, according to my dictionary. What the dictionary doesn't say is the the shot is not only extra, it is also extra-legal.

An editor made me remove the word from my first book, as being, well, seldom-used, and therefore incomprehensible to too many readers.

Carlus, I suppose editors know best and in the case of the golf stroke called a mulligan, probably so. Thanks for the added information. I must ask what your first book is about?

I am going to add this group, due to its many definitions;

mullish - adj STUBBORN, INFLEXIBLE

mull(1) - vb 1. to grind or mix thoroughly: PULVERIZE 2. to consider at length: PONDER

mull(2) - vt to sweeten, spice, and heat esp. with a hot poker [~ed wine]

mull(3) - noun a soft fine sheer fabric of cotton, silk, or rayon

mull(4) - noun granular forest humus with a layer of mixed organic mater and mineral soil merging gradually into the mineral soil beneath

So, how did mull become mullish with no obvious connection to the original word? I would not think that pondering at length leads to stubborn inflexibility.

mullish - adj STUBBORN, INFLEXIBLE

So, how did mull become mullish with no obvious connection to the original word? I would not think that pondering at length leads to stubborn inflexibility.

My first thought was that your dictionary misspelled "Mulish" as in "like a mule." Second thought is that it must be an alternate spelling thereof.

In fact, a quick google turns up no definition for Mullish but this for Mulish:

mulish

adjective
of or like a mule, as being very stubborn, obstinate, or intractable.

Origin:
1745–55; mule1 + -ish1

Harold, so perceptive of you to catch my mistake. Yes, my dictionary says mulish. I misspelled it and, now, it all makes sense. Mules. LOL

Does anyone use this one?

muliebrity - noun 1. WOMANHOOD 2. FEMININITY

Carlus, I suppose editors know best and in the case of the golf stroke called a mulligan, probably so. Thanks for the added information. I must ask what your first book is about?

It appeared, as the first book of a tetralogy, here on Lit. as Charlie and Mindy, Book 1, in the Incest/Taboo genre. It's currently available through Smashwords, Carnal Pleasures, and wherever fine e-books are sold, as A Walk on the Wild Side, by Charles E. Magness. It's no longer on Lit., because the publisher didn't want it to be available for free. (I would've left it up; the published version has been edited and is a better read---really!)

The other three books are in the pipeline, but my real job keeps interfering with the important things in life...

Back