Writing Goal for the Day?

Todays installment is done. No excuses.

The slow pace allows creativity to stew and perculate without much pressure. I like that. Its how I got thru 8 years of college. The first day of each semester I went to the library to collect books and journal articles I'd need for papers and projects down the road. I used vacations to study for final exams.

Almost done reading FREAKY DEAKY by Elmore Leonard. He says its his best novel. It aint. The plot stretches out like 100 miles of flat road across a flat landscape, you can see things coming long ways off. His Westerns are much better writing. FD is incongruent and too clever.

I'm behind on word count for the August NaNo. To finish on time, I need close to 1900 words a day. I was ahead in the beginning but daily interruptions and a bad wrist make typing for any length of time difficult. Today my goal is to finish a chapter I started last night.

Got todays bit of writing done. No excuses.

One of life's major revelations is learning to prioritize your activities and do them. Get them outta the way early in the day, and immense amounts of free-time are suddenly available to you.

Here's an idea if you wanna make some money and make a useful contribution to the world: Compile a glossary of words with one meaning or definition. Every writer I know of runs into the obstacle of needing arcane words. Maybe its already happened online.

Ordered a used copy of AN ARTIST IS HIS OWN FAULT by John O'Hara. O'Hara was a popular fiction writer of the 50s & 60s. The book is a collection of lectures and essays he made for young writers trying to learn the ropes. Maybe there's five dollars worth of useful information in it. Its possible.

I maybe own most of the how to write books ever published. I wanna box them up and donate them to some newbie. I suspect every writer gets to the place where he discovers how useless such books are, and finally gets it that he better learn how writing really works.

And some powerful writers never learn how, or never get it that they know how. I recently discovered something that gets missed by many. Dont wander off the reservation of what you know!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've decided to hold off writing until my websites are back up and running. Useless to write if I have no where to post them to.

No more shilly-shallying, I'm finally going to FINISH and SUBMIT this damn story today. If I don't now I will be revising it until the day I die.

Looks like our resident excuse makers have fled the thread.

My latest drip & drab is in the game bag. No excuses. It adds up with enough time.

Changed the name of one character from JARINA to MAYFLOWER. I may change the last name from IGUANO to Le'GUANO. Maybe name the chief villain HANKIE Le'GUANO.

I smell opportunity and blood in the water.

Here we are again. The writing is done for today. No excuses.

Todays scene involves a rainstorm at the court house minutes before the doors open. People press against the doors and walls to stay dry, and inside the security crew stand about, arms akimbo, hands on hips, smirking at the mayhem on the other side of the glass. The supervisor, a rat faced, corporal with a mane of cork-screw mall hair alerts her screeners that today they thoroughly frisk everyone. She'll pull her gun and threaten a sodden old geezer whose pants crash to the floor after she makes him unfasten his suspenders, and reach for the sky.

My style is to make every scene a wild animal act....like Clint Eastwood running a gauntlet.

Okay, finally the computer is mine again. Kids are at school, I'm alone. I have a doctor's appt. later this morning, but I shall finally get some writing in!

I will be adding more to my summer story.

So am I the only one who enjoys the obsessive editing and re-writing more than that first pass of getting words down on the page?

I find the latter to be stressful--what if the plot doesn't work? what if my characters turn out shitty? what if there's no chemistry?--but once I get words down (in tortoise-like fashion), I know I have something to fall back on.

I think this is why I have a really, really hard time with contests, and why I think I'll just not even try for them anymore. The stress of that first pass of writing, when combined with a hard deadline, removes all of the fun, and what's supposed to be a fun little hobby becomes miserable.

OK. That was my epiphany for the day.

Carry on.

So am I the only one who enjoys the obsessive editing and re-writing more than that first pass of getting words down on the page?

I find the latter to be stressful--what if the plot doesn't work? what if my characters turn out shitty? what if there's no chemistry?--but once I get words down (in tortoise-like fashion), I know I have something to fall back on.

I think this is why I have a really, really hard time with contests, and why I think I'll just not even try for them anymore. The stress of that first pass of writing, when combined with a hard deadline, removes all of the fun, and what's supposed to be a fun little hobby becomes miserable.

Carry on.

I. Hate. Editing.

:D I can fly through a story, three or four thousand words in a few hours top. That's the part I enjoy. Now if you like editing.... such a deal i have for you. :cool:

Carry on.

Nah. I'm the same way. Even with this response, I went back over it sex times to make sure there weren't any typos.

Carry on.

Editing once is okay, twice is eh, more than that and I'm so done. lol

Well my story is submitted and in que to be published. Fingers crossed that it will go through and people will like it.

Advanced my tale another increment. No excuses.

When I encounter 'writers block' I simply start writing some other part of the story, and thats what I did today. It'll all get sorted out in the wash.

Watched a fascinating vid of Richard Bandler interviewing and observing a celebrated chef at the man's restaurant. Bandler started out as a newly minted math-computer science grad 40 years ago, but his real curiosity is for success and winners, and he created a small industry whose purpose is to guide newbies to do what celebrities do to be prosperous and successful. I usta own all the books he published but sold them after I mastered most of his techniques.

Make peace that I will never be able to Write Tight. Can't do it. Just can't. Incurable slut to the tangent and the tangents all know this and know I am easily exploitable. So so easy.

Carry on.

Nah. I'm the same way. Even with this response, I went back over it sex times to make sure there weren't any typos.

I'm with you, Tat. Of course, there does come a time when I have to let it go. Drives me nuts to read the published copy and still find errors.

Ben--You just keep hanging in there. LOL!

Error free prose isnt the goal, entertainment value is the goal.

If what you have is ALL THAT a few dings and blemishes dont matter, unless youre obsessive-compulsive. Too much writing is like school cafeteria food, its perfectly balanced nutrition and calories, and tastes like crap.

Hoping I can get some writing time in this weekend. It's very frustrating.

I don't mind writing or editing, I suppose in part b/c I edit as I go along, so usually -- not always but usually -- I don't have huge edits to make. But it often takes another reader to say hey, this doesn't work.

I've got two good ideas for here, but don't want to start working on either one as I have enough stories in progress as it is already (7 or 8 as it is). I should probably get to work on a chapter of one of my stories in progress.

I've got two good ideas for here, but don't want to start working on either one as I have enough stories in progress as it is already (7 or 8 as it is). I should probably get to work on a chapter of one of my stories in progress.

Wait until you get a couple of hundred before you start putting off ideas for later. :D

Second edit done and a second chapter started.

Todays quota is done. On track. No excuses.

Watched some vids of kids prepping and painting their cars and bikes. I was shocked to see how they do it, but the results count, and the finished product wasnt too shabby. One kid used a paint roller to cover his machine with Rustoleum, but when he was done it looked good.

I watch vids for story research.

Gunning for what will be my first pretty much "pure stroke" story.

Limited plot and some hot nasty sex without any of the big build up to get there, just a nasty little tale. Started it last night and hope to finish this morning.

Back