Mean criticism

sanishen

Experienced
Joined
Sep 30, 2017
Posts
62
Why are people so mean in their criticism of poetry on this site?

I could understand it if you wrote bad verse form or stuff that lacks rhythm or rhyme or is just words strung together; but most times people seem to just glance and then decide to pour scorn on a misread topic or a personal prejudice - it's so disheartening.

Sighs
 
For what it's worth

I've published one story on Lit.

I've received some wonderful comments and some rude and cruel criticism as well.

You can't let it get to you. Everyone isn't going to enjoy or understand your perspective.

Keep writting. I'm certain you'll find your audience
 
Not knowing what was said it's hard to answer but learning that critique isn't criticism helps a lot.
 
Why are people so mean in their criticism of poetry on this site?

I could understand it if you wrote bad verse form or stuff that lacks rhythm or rhyme or is just words strung together; but most times people seem to just glance and then decide to pour scorn on a misread topic or a personal prejudice - it's so disheartening.

Sighs

sanishen

Are you referring to comments posted to your poem(s) under “New Poems?” If so, I’ve had my share there too.

Sometimes a poet will come to the Poetry Feedback & Discussion Thread and ask for comments. I can say the vast majority of regulars here are serious students of poetry and when giving feedback they do so in a respectful way.

I will also say on occasion someone will post a poem here, stating they want feedback, but it becomes apparent that they want affirmation it’s a good poem when perhaps it’s not.

RunningJib gives good advice. I’d only add if you want to a better poet, read more poetry and consider visiting and participating in this thread.
 
Why are people so mean in their criticism of poetry on this site?

I could understand it if you wrote bad verse form or stuff that lacks rhythm or rhyme or is just words strung together; but most times people seem to just glance and then decide to pour scorn on a misread topic or a personal prejudice - it's so disheartening.

Sighs

Like, greenmountaineer I too went to read your poetry and was pleasantly surprised. You notice the unpleasant reviews we're anonymous from someone too ashamed to use their real name (Lit name) so I would discount it, ignore it. You have the right and ability to delete it/them.

Please don't be disheartened, keep writing - and reading poetry.
 
I read all 4 of your poems and the comments. I am pretty certain that all the negative comments were made by the same person and none were about the poems, rather the lifestyle/idea/person(you) behind the poem - not the poem itself. That said, try not to respond to negative/personal comments, either ignore or delete them. Your response is exactly what these characters want, because it gives them a buzz to know they have got under your skin.

You demonstrate a certain rhythm (apart from rhyme) and a hint of humour whilst sticking to your theme. You can build on those. GMT suggests you try non-erotic which is a good idea. Others have recommended reading lots and I think you will learn a lot more by looking at the boards here. The Poetry board is almost unique in Literotica in that the contributors look for and discuss quality of writing, that helps a lot and you will soon learn the good poets to follow - 2 or 3 have already responded to you in this thread. Good luck.
 
I second, third, fourth and fifth the above comments. especially with respect to Anon who rightfully should stay that way and be ignored.
 
Dear anonymous stalker

Thank you so much for your latest cretinous commentary.

It's a shame, but I've had enough of your stupidity.

Fine, score down the poems and give yourself a little thrill; but I have closed off my work to anonymous comments in light of your nasty, insidious associations coming off the erotic fantasies and dreams I set down.

Maybe you think you are some kind of a feminist looking to liberate the oppressed female. You're not - you are a deluded artless idiot without an ounce of intelligence or soul.

You need help. I hope you don't get it.

Sanishen.
 
Last edited:
Just think of the awful tweets you'd get, Natasha, if your work was so good that it got published out in the real world and became widely known. Then the cruelties would increase radically and become more creative:)

You defeat the meanies by producing over-arching work which, given the range of personalities here, will attract encomia as well (doesn't have to rhyme either:))
 
Back
Top