Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nails!

This morning I found one of the tyres on a Volvo was completely flat.

I pumped it up enough to drive the half mile to my local tyre depot. They found a one inch nail through the tread but the tyre was worn if still legal. One new tyre and a substantial bill later the Volvo is roadworthy again.

An hour later I thought I had a small stone in my trainer. I checked. No stone. I checked inside my sock. No stone. I put sock and trainer back on. There was still something digging into my foot. I took the trainer off again.

There was a small nail through the sole that I hadn't felt with my hand. It only emerged when I put weight on my foot.

I need yet another pair of US size 14 Trainers and most shoe shops locally don't stock them that large...

There are too many building improvements happening locally for me to identify which builder is strewing nails around.

Erm - E-Bay, perhaps ?

I have tried eBay before. One out of three orders don't really fit because they're too wide or too narrow. I prefer to try trainers on before I buy. The closest outlet that usually has some in my size is 30 miles away. That's a lot of expensive fuel for my Volvo...

I have tried eBay before. One out of three orders don't really fit because they're too wide or too narrow. I prefer to try trainers on before I buy. The closest outlet that usually has some in my size is 30 miles away. That's a lot of expensive fuel for my Volvo...

My husband is able to buy his through Amazon. Yes, size 14, 4x wide.

If (in a tax-free account), you had invested $1.00 in an S&P 500 index (a broad U.S. stock market measure) fund exactly five years ago (i.e., on 18 February, 2013) and had reinvested the dividends, you would now have:

$2.00

Og's in the dog house...

My wife belongs to a women's discussion group that researches topics to talk about at their monthly meetings. Once a year they meet to plan topics for the year ahead. After nearly thirty years of meetings they tend to sit around at the planning meetings short of ideas.

The internet has made their researches much easier. Instead of hours in a library they spend a few minutes online.

A couple of hours before their last planning meeting my wife was looking at her very short list of ideas. She made the mistake of asking me for suggestions. In ten minutes I had added twenty more ideas. They agreed to use two of Og's suggestions but one has proved problematic.

I suggested that they research local redundant/disused churches - why were they built where they are; the special features or architect; why did they become disused; how are they used now.

That would have been an acceptable topic except that the organisation responsible for looking after the churches is NOT internet minded. There is virtually nothing that can be revealed by Google searches. The women had to physically GO to the buildings, look at any information inside, buy the guide book if it existed, and take their own photos.

But the meeting is scheduled for tomorrow evening. What would have been a pleasant set of outings in May has been a chore in January and February. A dozen women have been dragging their partners across muddy fields, through soggy graveyards and into freezing buildings. They then expect great pictures of massive interiors that have no lighting except weak winter daylight.

I didn't suggest the topic for February. That was their decision.

But I'm getting the blame from my wife, the women, and their husbands.

Tomorrow evening I will make a diplomatic retreat to the pub while they meet.

And a good picture it is, too.
Dare we all hope that you are settling well in the south (Florida, wasn't it?)

I need to get Florida documents for my car so that I can get cheaper car insurance so that I can afford my apartment.

Other than that things are fine.

My wife belongs to a women's discussion group that researches topics to talk about at their monthly meetings. Once a year they meet to plan topics for the year ahead. After nearly thirty years of meetings they tend to sit around at the planning meetings short of ideas.

The internet has made their researches much easier. Instead of hours in a library they spend a few minutes online.

A couple of hours before their last planning meeting my wife was looking at her very short list of ideas. She made the mistake of asking me for suggestions. In ten minutes I had added twenty more ideas. They agreed to use two of Og's suggestions but one has proved problematic.

I suggested that they research local redundant/disused churches - why were they built where they are; the special features or architect; why did they become disused; how are they used now.

That would have been an acceptable topic except that the organisation responsible for looking after the churches is NOT internet minded. There is virtually nothing that can be revealed by Google searches. The women had to physically GO to the buildings, look at any information inside, buy the guide book if it existed, and take their own photos.

But the meeting is scheduled for tomorrow evening. What would have been a pleasant set of outings in May has been a chore in January and February. A dozen women have been dragging their partners across muddy fields, through soggy graveyards and into freezing buildings. They then expect great pictures of massive interiors that have no lighting except weak winter daylight.

I didn't suggest the topic for February. That was their decision.

But I'm getting the blame from my wife, the women, and their husbands.

Tomorrow evening I will make a diplomatic retreat to the pub while they meet.

In my childhood neighbourhood there stood an unused, but well-kept and still imposingly austere, Scottish Presbyterian Church, built of dark brownstone and with a tower more battlement than spire. Then it was given a new life, religious, to be sure, but just as surely a religion that would not have found favour with the departed Scots. My Puerto Rican neighbours invited me to its opening as a quasi-Catholic Spiritualist Place of Worship. The colours, the rites, the music, I'm sure, had the original congregation spinning wildly in their graves.

In my childhood neighbourhood there stood an unused, but well-kept and still imposingly austere, Scottish Presbyterian Church, built of dark brownstone and with a tower more battlement than spire. Then it was given a new life, religious, to be sure, but just as surely a religion that would not have found favour with the departed Scots. My Puerto Rican neighbours invited me to its opening as a quasi-Catholic Spiritualist Place of Worship. The colours, the rites, the music, I'm sure, had the original congregation spinning wildly in their graves.

Music? The work of the devil, Laddie!

As for dancing in Church? Dancing is only for whores of Babylon...

A small paragraph in The Times today:

UK renewable energy supplies now provide enough energy to run the UK for a whole year.

The problem?

The year is the demand for 1958.

Last edited:
Ok, way too many people that I know have been talking about or even showing pictures of gruesome stuff, and it's making me uneasy. My groin keeps pulling up into my body as my foot jumps all over the place and I want you all to stop and just be well...

Ok, way too many people that I know have been talking about or even showing pictures of gruesome stuff, and it's making me uneasy. My groin keeps pulling up into my body as my foot jumps all over the place and I want you all to stop and just be well...

Ah, well, I'll not mention cameras going where the sun shineth not.

:D I'll try, can't speak for anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back