Oh, the ratings agony!

It is weird

Try my 2.39 piece (with over 150k views). Your points #1 and #2 probably grab viewers. I don't know how many make #3. But the story is meant to provoke, not arouse. Still, with 33 faves, SOME must have found it "a joy to read." Maybe they're the pervs.

Definitely both weird and interesting. But I do think it should have been in Humour because it might better have been understood by some of those that commented and/or voted. But it’s up to the author. I put a one page in Humour and was told, by different people, it should have been in either Erotic Horror, Non Human, or Sci-Fi & Fantasy. Confused? I was! It’s not a blockbuster either but I enjoyed writing about Paddy and I think it’s funny.

Only three things matter in my decision whether or not to read a story and a red H isn’t on the list.

1. Does the title of the story pique my interest?
2. Does the story description make me want to investigate?
3. If the first two work does the story grab me in the first two hundred words?

If those three work then there’s a 90+% chance I’ll read the the entire story. Some 4.8’s aren’t worth shit and some 3.7’s are a joy to read.

I would think the attention of most people would centre around the first two points. I’m not so sure about the third. It might depend on who’s reading. I assume you’re talking about someone who hadn’t read any of the writers other work.

Definitely both weird and interesting. But I do think it should have been in Humour because it might better have been understood by some of those that commented and/or voted.
In Humor the view count would have been nearer 3k than 153k. I like to grab eyeballs and affect people. I think I succeeded there.

In Humor the view count would have been nearer 3k than 153k. I like to grab eyeballs and affect people. I think I succeeded there.

That's 153,000 souls that you potentially saved from standing in open fields during thunderstorms and the evil of "Pasteurized Non-Dairy Whipped Toppings."

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

That's 153,000 souls that you potentially saved from standing in open fields during thunderstorms and the evil of "Pasteurized Non-Dairy Whipped Toppings."
But how many craved transformation into hermaphroditic gastropods? Let alone those who would dare bicycle past Club Forestville. BTW that cream pie was real.

...BTW that cream pie was real.

Now you did it... The trolls out there are going to one-bomb all of your writings and leave comments like...

"I really enjoy everything about FICTIONAL Whipped Cream. Lit is a fiction place. It makes me uneasy to think about real cow's milk being used to create whipped cream so soon after jerking-off." (Except it will be misspelled monosyllabic words.)

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

Now you did it... The trolls out there are going to one-bomb all of your writings and leave comments like...

"I really enjoy everything about FICTIONAL Whipped Cream. Lit is a fiction place. It makes me uneasy to think about real cow's milk being used to create whipped cream so soon after jerking-off." (Except it will be misspelled monosyllabic words.)

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

Brilliant!

*Sigh*

I don't get feedback or many votes in the first place. What threat am I to anyone? These people choose to be mean for the sake of being mean; and that's stupid. I'd never do the same to them.

Last edited:
In reply:

"That's Clover-Stornetta Dairy country, pal. Clo the cow gazes strongly from an infinity of billboards. She is more than a cartoon, able to switch from tenuous to solid in mere seconds. Do not dis Clo; she'ill stomp your non-dairy creamer ass with her mighty, neatly-trimmed, organic hooves. Maybe you would like that, eh?" (I'm careful about the orthography.)

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Anon sent 2 items of feedback ending "1 star" on two of my older fetish stories complaining that the women's actions would have led to divorce.

Anon doesn't understand fetish or the concept of a fictional story - again. Anon seems threatened by femdom even though there were disclaimers at the start.

There are some seriously sad individuals reading Lit stories.

The two x 1 star is unlikely to make much difference to their already low ratings already barely above 3.00 :D

Hey, whomever went through and 1-bombed all my 5 star chapters, you missed one. If you're going to be a jerk, might as well be thorough, right? Seriously, I don't get feedback or many votes in the first place. What threat am I to anyone? You choose to be mean for the sake of being mean; and that's stupid. I'd never do the same to you.

Have a nice day.

Choosing to be mean for the sake of being mean isn’t stupid to them. It’s how they get their kicks. It might be they came across one of your stories and thought “hey, this guy is pretty good. Time to bring him down a peg or two.”

The simple answer would be to do away with 1 and 2 votes. Make 3 the lowest vote. They’ll then either give you a 3 or not bother at all.

As someone pointed out recently coming on here and complaining about it can make you a target.

Agreed, so always stand near nine other authors...
She: "Count to ten and make a funny noise."

He: "Huh? Okay. 1--2--3--4--5--6--7--8--9--10 glork!"

She, into microphone: "Mental illness strikes every ten seconds."

Try my 2.39 piece (with over 150k views). Your points #1 and #2 probably grab viewers. I don't know how many make #3. But the story is meant to provoke, not arouse. Still, with 33 faves, SOME must have found it "a joy to read." Maybe they're the pervs.

I gave it a fave. Arguably I'm a perv but there is more to me than that.

The comment referring to Kafka is apt. Maybe Gregor Samsa just needed some love.

Many thanks. I cherish faves. BTW everything but the Germans, thunderbolt, phone number, and Kimmy's name are real. That's my camera, inherited from Dad. Too bad I had to omit the local sasquatches, *so* bothersome when they root through trash dumpsters.

I was already a target. Complaining about it is my right.

Hope you have a nice day.

I wasn’t referring to you specifically merely repeating what some else said a few days ago which I agree with. Coming on here and mentioning it won’t improve the situation as several others have found out. Complain away. I never said you didn’t have that right but the sarcasm wasn’t necessary although it’s water off a ducks back.

After my post above I had a comment, not feedback, from the same anon and ending "1 start". Why. if anon hates my Femdom stories, does he, presumably he, read and comment on the longer ones.

I appreciate the effort given in providing comment and feedback but surely it is easier to back click after page 1?

The comment referring to Kafka is apt. Maybe Gregor Samsa just needed some love.

Thirty years ago I had a t-shirt, "Kafka was an optimist,"

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

After my post above I had a comment, not feedback, from the same anon and ending "1 start". Why. if anon hates my Femdom stories, does he, presumably he, read and comment on the longer ones.

I appreciate the effort given in providing comment and feedback but surely it is easier to back click after page 1?

You have a very loyal and dedicated Troll.

Author R.L. Stine once said on a NPR radio interview that his favorite piece of mail was from a reader who said, "I have read EVERY one of your 'Goosebump' books and they are ALL awful."

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

I think the star ratings really do a disservice to all Lit authors as it gives too much power to the trolls. I know they won't change the system any time soon, but I'd really like to see it all replaced with a simple recommend check box. Then the authors can collect recommendations instead of stars. There doesn't have to be anything negative about it.

Best wishes to you all. :rose:

I think the star ratings really do a disservice to all Lit authors as it gives too much power to the trolls. I know they won't change the system any time soon, but I'd really like to see it all replaced with a simple recommend check box. Then the authors can collect recommendations instead of stars. There doesn't have to be anything negative about it.
I doubt Manu will devote time to re-doing the story-side code structure, as a rating change would require. Manu and Laurel likely feel that it's survived this long and doesn't cause as many problems as other aspects of the site code, so don't touch it. Regular sweeps manage the troll problem somewhat.

Anyway, nobody should expect the star system to be anywhere near perfect. Some subset of readers will bother to click a vote; some subset of those are fans or anti-fans of authors or genres; it's all just an arbitrary popularity contest. And IMHO authors should look beyond numbers for satisfaction... even though votes, faves, and comments are our only payments here. I used to be obsesses. A one-bomb wipeout cured me.

Exhibit A: 5,4, (9/2 had to be one 4 one 5 uncertain of order) that's 18/4=4.5. I would guess the first four votes were from followers who like my "quwerky style" in other words above average, that's OK, I ain't no James Mitchner, I know that.

BUT the next three were ones... 21/7 =3.0...Iit's climbing back but...

Exhibit B: 5,5,5,4 (4.75) then 9/2 for 4.5. Three ones... 3.4, a 4 that is 3.5...A one then four votes totaling 16 uncertain of order but I know one was a one. How? MAGIC BROOM made all ones go away and it took five votes and five points...

EDIT: IF YOU WERE ONE OF THE 8 HEARTS, OR 5 NICE MESSAGES OR 4 POSITIVE (0 negative FWIW) REVIEWS, OF IF YOU JUST READ THE THREE SCRIBBLES THAT I AM REFERRING TO (or any of my other works) AND KINDA SORTA MAYBE HALFWAY SMILED (even just a little)... I LOVE YOU.

I don't write for stars. Laurel does the public a service, if the Trolls were not bashing folks here they would be tossing concrete blocks from highway overpasses killing people...

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

Last edited:
Back