The cancer survivor's restorative thread

I took my friend to the city (clusterfuck) yesterday for her cancer referral consult. (It's always good to go to the city every now and then just for a reminder of why I don't live in the fucking city...but anyway.) The doc was nice, knew his stuff, up there on the 16th floor. He basically said what you have is pretty rare and there's not really anything more I can do for you. She seemed to take it okay but it hit her today finally. I take her back in August to see a guy on the 21st floor. I don't expect to hear anything good, but the view should be spectacular.

You should spend more time with her, if she is really your friend, and stop trolling.

I have a friend whose father (92) is dying of cancer.

I had dinner with my friend last night and used the word cancer in conversation about the father.

My friend replied " why don't people just say he's dying of old age?"

I wasn't sure how to reply, so I had some more Panang Beef.

I have a friend whose father (92) is dying of cancer.

I had dinner with my friend last night and used the word cancer in conversation about the father.

My friend replied " why don't people just say he's dying of old age?"

I wasn't sure how to reply, so I had some more Panang Beef.

People want to know how a person died and it is typically the one thing omitted from obituaries.

People want to know how a person died and it is typically the one thing omitted from obituaries.

Exactly.

I really wanted to say WTF is up with the gentle obit? His organ failure was, yes, organ failure, but really it was caused by the arsenic poisoning. He would have loved the pure fact of going out with such mystery.

Warrior Eli Hoax Buster Group

The Warrior Eli Hoax Buster Group is a group that offers help to people who want to check the veracity of cancer patients online, and they posted a beginner’s guide to spotting an online hoax.

You may find their site and the links they offer interesting. :)

The Warrior Eli Hoax Buster Group is a group that offers help to people who want to check the veracity of cancer patients online, and they posted a beginner’s guide to spotting an online hoax.

You may find their site and the links they offer interesting. :)

It's such a shame there are people in the world who will abuse others' goodwill. This is good info to have.

Exactly.

I really wanted to say WTF is up with the gentle obit? His organ failure was, yes, organ failure, but really it was caused by the arsenic poisoning. He would have loved the pure fact of going out with such mystery.

Somebody noticed the other day that people don't "die" in the newspapers if they pass away before the age of 40....under 40, they are "found dead".

I think the last time I saw the word "succumbs", was for Nancy Reagan's death.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus said she feels “good” and “strong” since returning to the set of Veep less than one year after revealing that she’d been diagnosed with breast cancer.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Louis-Dreyfus said it felt “fantastic” to be working again, adding, “I feel good. I feel strong. I’ve got energy and, yeah, back to my old tricks. It feels like I never left.”

Louis-Dreyfus revealed her diagnosis last September, just days after she won her sixth consecutive Emmy for Best Actress in a Comedy, while Veep picked up its fourth for Outstanding Comedy. In a note on Twitter, Louis-Dreyfus wrote, “1 in 8 women get breast cancer. Today I’m the one. The good news is that I have the most glorious group of supportive and caring family and friends, and fantastic insurance through my union. The bad news is that not all women are so lucky, so let’s fight all cancers and make universal health care a reality.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-...return-cancer-diagnosis-i-feel-strong-718678/

Tomorrow is my yearly MRI...I guess to see if my kidney grew back. It never does though.

Happy Cancer Anniversary. :)

shakes-drunk-e1390249551331.jpg

While I was lying there holding my breath, a floating image of my Mother's face appeared.

They have this new thing- a band they put around the abdomen that senses your breathing and "shoots" pictures at the exact same moment between breaths, eliminating a lot of the "take a breath, let it out and hold" its. I was there a good hour and a half. Nap time?

Oh, I didn't know this thread existed.

I had cancer as a kid, but I was a kid, so I didn't really understand the full force of what it was, and it never got really bad. It was a "have a couple of surgeries" kind of thing if I remember. The worst part was waiting for the diagnosis because I was hurting really bad and no one knew why- my parents thought I was going to die and threw me a BITCHIN birthday party (we've got the tape) and it's hilarious because me and all the other kids are like, "What a BITCHIN birthday party!" And all the parents are crying and shit. Well... funny from my POV but not theirs. I genuinely don't remember most of it. I was 5, I think? The treatment, not the party. I don't remember the party at all. I know that I'm supposed to be doing checks for it for the rest of my life but I've just... not... been.

Also that something, at some point, fucked up my back and every time I get an MRI they're like, "HOLY SHIT YOUR BACK IS FUUUUUCKED!"
And I'm like, "Lol, I know, right?"

BUT the more damaging thing for me, because I didn't have infantile amnesia that resulted in rose-colored memories of free video games and bitching parties- is that my grandma recently had breast cancer- full mastectomy on that side, chemo, radiation, everything.

Smokes like a fucking freight train. Still. They won't let you smoke on chemo so she did the vape, but the SECOND she got off chemo she lit the fuck up. Like a dumbass.

But I smoke too. So I can't say anything. Guess I come by it honestly.

I have about 4 million cancer pens. Every time I go to the cancer center they're like, "Hey, you want to NEVER NOT HAVE A PEN WHEN YOU NEED ONE AGAIN? TAKE 20!" Also they give you coffee- which I'm pretty sure causes cancer, especially if you put aspertain in it.

Oh, I didn't know this thread existed.

I had cancer as a kid, but I was a kid, so I didn't really understand the full force of what it was, and it never got really bad. It was a "have a couple of surgeries" kind of thing if I remember. The worst part was waiting for the diagnosis because I was hurting really bad and no one knew why- my parents thought I was going to die and threw me a BITCHIN birthday party (we've got the tape) and it's hilarious because me and all the other kids are like, "What a BITCHIN birthday party!" And all the parents are crying and shit. Well... funny from my POV but not theirs. I genuinely don't remember most of it. I was 5, I think? The treatment, not the party. I don't remember the party at all. I know that I'm supposed to be doing checks for it for the rest of my life but I've just... not... been.

Also that something, at some point, fucked up my back and every time I get an MRI they're like, "HOLY SHIT YOUR BACK IS FUUUUUCKED!"
And I'm like, "Lol, I know, right?"

BUT the more damaging thing for me, because I didn't have infantile amnesia that resulted in rose-colored memories of free video games and bitching parties- is that my grandma recently had breast cancer- full mastectomy on that side, chemo, radiation, everything.

Smokes like a fucking freight train. Still. They won't let you smoke on chemo so she did the vape, but the SECOND she got off chemo she lit the fuck up. Like a dumbass.

But I smoke too. So I can't say anything. Guess I come by it honestly.

I have about 4 million cancer pens. Every time I go to the cancer center they're like, "Hey, you want to NEVER NOT HAVE A PEN WHEN YOU NEED ONE AGAIN? TAKE 20!" Also they give you coffee- which I'm pretty sure causes cancer, especially if you put aspertain in it.

Your story does not include what type of cancer you had.

My neighbor's wife just had both of her breasts removed, and she has the gene. Walked over there the other day. Her husband was on the grounds poking around his lily and weed beds. He's home off work from shoulder surgery from fighting with his mowing machine. Asked him if I could bring over dinner some night (it's a country thing). I'm making cream of chicken and wild rice soup and cookies. Picked up a baguette from Paneras.

He looks a little beaten down. It's hard enough out here in the wilderness without the additional obstacles. Soup fixes everything.

Yeah.
Not really.

Last edited:
My neighbor's wive just had both of her breasts removed, and she has the gene. Walked over there the other day. Her husband was on the grounds poking around his lily and weed beds. He's home off work from shoulder surgery from fighting with his mowing machine. Asked him if I could bring over dinner some night (it's a country thing). I'm making cream of chicken and wild rice soup and cookies. Picked up a baguette from Paneras.

He looks a little beaten down. It's hard enough out here in the wilderness without the additional obstacles. Soup fixes everything.

Yeah.
Not really.

*wife :)

Back