Metalheads & Writers

Kantarii

I'm Not A Bitch!
Two things that interest me are Heavy Metal and writing (granted I can listen to most any music with a great beat and solid lyrics). Thought I'd start a thread to bring together like minded Metalheads.

My crown jewels for intensity: Obituary, Deicide, Death,Venom, Sepultura, Morgoth, Hypocrisy, Morbid Angel, Entombed, Grave, Dismember, and Desultory. But, hey, that's just the tip of the blade that drives some of my darkness in writing that will never see the light on Lit🌹Kant👠👠👠

Last edited:
I don't look at the labels. I just play anonymous random deathmetal, loudly, to keep people from bothering me. Karlheinz Stockhausen often works too.

The only things I avoid are Top 40 and German Schlager/Volksmusik. Otherwise, everything goes. My formative years were during the late 80's, when a school buddy of mine showed me The Sisters of Mercy, Depeche Mode and lots of other British wave and goth stuff, and the early 90s, when my hormone-fuelled puberty coincided with both the Scandinavian and US Death Metal explosions. Classified myself as a metalhead ever since, even though I'm a firm believer in the "a good song is a good song regardless of genre" philosophy.

Top 5 records for the lonely island, no particular order
Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream
King Diamond - Them
Solitude Aeturnus - Into the Depths of Sorrow
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
Blind Guardian - Follow the Blind

Here on Lit, I mainly write Sci-Fi and Fantasy with some futanari bits to spice it up. " Write what you know" and all that. I've read too much Conan, Kain, Dungeons&Dragons, Cyberpunk and hentai to do anything else.

Used to play drums and bass when I was younger, trying to pick up guitar skills now. Can't sing to save my life, but I could growl with the worst of them. Unlike Corpsegrinder Fisher or Johan Hegg, I didn't need a vocoder. :)

Last edited:
The only things I avoid are Top 40 and German Schlager/Volksmusik. Otherwise, everything goes. My formative years were during the late 80's, when a school buddy of mine showed me The Sisters of Mercy, Depeche Mode and lots of other British wave and goth stuff, and the early 90s, when my hormone-fuelled puberty coincided with both the Scandinavian and US Death Metal explosions. Classified myself as a metalhead ever since, even though I'm a firm believer in the "a good song is a good song regardless of genre" philosophy.

King Diamond - Them

Here on Lit, I mainly write Sci-Fi and Fantasy with some futanari bits to spice it up. " Write what you know" and all that. I've read too much Conan, Kain, Dungeons&Dragons, Cyberpunk and hentai to do anything else.

Used to play drums and bass when I was younger, trying to pick up guitar skills now. Can't sing to save my life, but I could growl with the worst of them. Unlike Corpsegrinder Fisher or Johan Hegg, I didn't need a vocoder. :)

Hey, now, kudos to the Dungeons& Dragons😎 Adding to my mix, I just dug up Angel Dust's - Enlighten the Darkness and At the Gates - World demise. 👠👠👠Kant🌹
Ever read any of Ian Livingstone's fighting fantasy stuff?

King Diamond - Them

I love female fronted metal, Epica, After Forever, Nightwish, Kryptaria, and other such bands :)

@Kantarii: Nope, haven't read them. My allowance usually went towards D&D sourcebooks and records. Been a Peb&Paper game master since about '92 or '93, can't remember exactly. Still play with a handful of regulars. I have some of the FF books on my amazon wishlist for later.

At the moment, I'm on a pagan bender. Immortal's "At the Heart of Winter", the I debut, early Primordial, Mythtyn, that stuff.

@Katiekins: If you haven't, check out Benedictum, Oceans of Slumber, Crucified Barbara, 3rd and the Mortal, System Divide and the Aussies Chalice. They are different girl bands. Oh, and Babymetal :)

I love this thread.

Anyone else listen to sludge metal as well? Crowbar, Eyehategod, etc?

I first got into metal to help deal with the bipolar anger and depression. Now it helps drive my writing.

Crowbar I like, but stuff like Sunno))) is a bit too lo-fi for my tastes. Ironically, save for a few times, I don't listen to metal while writing. Headbanging is a tad distracting. :) When I'm writing, I have some kind of ambient stuff in the background. Irish folk for fantasy, chiptunes or future pop for cyberpunk. Much less distracting.

Well this old rocker has had a bit of an education; thanks, people.
I'm more into total silence when I write and the "heavy" metal stuff is more a distraction and an effect ratrher than music.
I'd rather listen to Beethoven, Debussy (via Isao Tomita) these day. Stuff I can sing along to, or whistle.
:)

@Kantarii: Nope, haven't read them. My allowance usually went towards D&D sourcebooks and records. Been a Peb&Paper game master since about '92 or '93, can't remember exactly. Still play with a handful of regulars. I have some of the FF books on my amazon wishlist for later.

At the moment, I'm on a pagan bender. Immortal's "At the Heart of Winter", the I debut, early Primordial, Mythtyn, that stuff.

@Katiekins: If you haven't, check out Benedictum, Oceans of Slumber, Crucified Barbara, 3rd and the Mortal, System Divide and the Aussies Chalice. They are different girl bands. Oh, and Babymetal :)

Vampire the Masquerade was a RPG that weened me off playing Dungeons & Dragons for quite a while. Oh, and the company was based about 35 miles from my house over in Stone Mountain,Ga😎

@Kantarii: The World of Darkness stuff was always a bit too pricey for me, but I've spent a few years playing with friends. I played a sewer-dwelling, computer-obsessed Nosferatu with a fatal attraction to shemales. The others were totally into the "hawt vampire erotica" stereotype, which made dealing with my character very awkward. :) Good times.

As for horror RPGs, I've GM'd both Ravenloft and Call of Cthulhu. Other than that, I've played and GM'd both Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020 and wasted too many hours with BattleTech, the game of giant robot warfare. Yeah, I'm a nerd AND a metalhead :)

I personally despise DeathMetal and all forms of 'gaming'.

My time was Steppenwolf, Black Sabbath, et al. The only band above I recognize at all is Epica and I like what I have from them. Kamelot also. I've stumbled across a few odd gems by taking FREE samplers from Amazon. Among them are things I never would have tried like 'Sick of it all' by The Skull, 'Grace' by The Devin Townsend Project, 'Fear Satan' by Mogwai and 'Reeling' by Nux Vomica though I hate the distorted vocals.

There are quite a few I like on a Relapse Records sampler too, but many I can't stand at all.

To each his own. That's the nice thing about music. Me liking the brutal grindcore stuff isn't taking away from you liking the melodic stuff. You're talking about the "25 Years of Contamination" sampler, right? There is more than enough melodic music around, with the likes of Ozzy's solo material, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Symphony X or Iced Earth, just to name a few off the top of my head.

It still baffles me that most people equate metal with growling vocals. It's like saying all pop music is like Katy Perry, which ignores the likes of Pet Shop Boys, Phil Collins, Depeche Mode or a-ha.

And what is so despicable about gaming?

Last edited:
@Kantarii: The World of Darkness stuff was always a bit too pricey for me, but I've spent a few years playing with friends. I played a sewer-dwelling, computer-obsessed Nosferatu with a fatal attraction to shemales. The others were totally into the "hawt vampire erotica" stereotype, which made dealing with my character very awkward. :) Good times.

As for horror RPGs, I've GM'd both Ravenloft and Call of Cthulhu. Other than that, I've played and GM'd both Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020 and wasted too many hours with BattleTech, the game of giant robot warfare. Yeah, I'm a nerd AND a metalhead :)

😎I played a female Ravnos : an intellectual, international spy/thief. I also played an adrogenous male headbanger with the leather jacket and blue jeans look, rode a futuristic,wraith possessed flying motorcycle that was an international bounty hunter. 🌹

Never got into the games you mentioned. I was into Magic the Gathering heavily in the early 90's and Wizards of the coast kind got their fair share of my paycheck😇

I personally despise DeathMetal and all forms of 'gaming'.

My time was Steppenwolf, Black Sabbath, et al. The only band above I recognize at all is Epica and I like what I have from them. Kamelot also. I've stumbled across a few odd gems by taking FREE samplers from Amazon. Among them are things I never would have tried like 'Sick of it all' by The Skull, 'Grace' by The Devin Townsend Project, 'Fear Satan' by Mogwai and 'Reeling' by Nux Vomica though I hate the distorted vocals.

There are quite a few I like on a Relapse Records sampler too, but many I can't stand at all.

I'm not ashamed to admit I love Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd,Kiss, Deep Purple, Styx, Dio, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc. I know where my roots are💋

@Kantarii: I've seen too many good people lose their happiness and fortunes over MTG to actively play it. :) Besides, the print on many cards was too small for me to read.

Ever since WotC tried to make D&D into a tabletop MMO with their 4th Edition, I've switched to Pathfinder. The best of D&D3, backwards compatible and all.

My lady love and I have recently discovered Star Realms, a cool coffee-break card game of interstellar conquest, trade and ship combat. No collectible aspect, you have everything you need to play in the box. https://www.starrealms.com

Uhm. Yeah. Metal. My lady love just threw "Diary of a Madman" onto the turntable. Doesn't get more metal than that :)

The older I got, the more I turned to the classics. In my teens and twenties, it couldn't be hard or fast enough. Emperor, Mayhem, Mortician, Pathologist, Darkthrone, all that jazz. But now I can as easily relax with Thin Lizzy or Fleetwood Mac. Give my tinitus some rest :)

I love this thread.

Anyone else listen to sludge metal as well? Crowbar, Eyehategod, etc?

I first got into metal to help deal with the bipolar anger and depression. Now it helps drive my writing.

I hate sludge. It bores me to death. Death metal!

Two things that interest me are Heavy Metal and writing (granted I can listen to most any music with a great beat and solid lyrics). Thought I'd start a thread to bring together like minded Metalheads.

My crown jewels for intensity: Obituary, Deicide, Death,Venom, Sepultura, Morgoth, Hypocrisy, Morbid Angel, Entombed, Grave, Dismember, and Desultory. But, hey, that's just the tip of the blade that drives some of my darkness in writing that will never see the light on Lit👠👠👠Kant🌹

Was not expecting to see a topic like this, ever. Really surprised to see Morgoth mentioned by anyone else, ever. Morbid Angel was my favorite band until Nothingface came along for their first three albums.

I only listen to music when in the car anymore. Otherwise I am listening to podcasts. I'm out of the loop on new music unfortunately. Over the last few years I bought a bunch of stuff off Amazon. Salt The Wound, As Blood Runs Black, Miseration, Sylosis, In The Eyes of the Dead, and I'm just not feeling it like I did years ago. and I keep going back to old favorites.

Morgoth were awesome before they got it into their head to play a strange kind of music. Some shifts in a band's sound I can tolerate, like when Edge of Sanity put more melodies into their sound. Some I find utterly worthless, like what In Flames have done ever since "Clayman". Morgoth's turn away from Death Metal on "Feel Sorry For The Fanatic" sadly belongs in the second bracket, along with Kreator's "Endorama" bullshit. If they want to play new music, make a new band.

With the rapid decline of good music on the radio, I'm listening to a lot more stuff on records than only two or three years ago. Basically, I use my radio for the news and maybe some classic rock stations, but that's it. The German Top 40 give the Billboard 200 a run for their money in the amount of sewage they have in them. Ugh.

Last edited:
Radio?

I don't think I've had one of those old fashioned things on in over 10 years.

Radio?

I don't think I've had one of those old fashioned things on in over 10 years.

We have one of those all in one things in the kitchen, it plays mp3s off SD cards, Internet radio, FM/AM and can double as a Bluetooth speaker. Not to be confused with our 21-year old Pioneer hifi in the den, with CD, tape deck, turntable and a huge amp :)

And yes, I still buy music on physical media unless there's no other alternative.

Here's a question: Do you think your preferred music has an effect on your writing?

For me, music has been one of the driving factors in learning English beyond the school minimum. I'm German and I'm way too curious for my own good. I wanted to know, to understand what The Sisters of Mercy meant when they sung "Under The Gun". I applied myself and got really good really fast. Never had anything worse than an A- in school English. It was one of my major subjects for my Abitur and the eight semesters of English Lit I did didn't go to waste either :)

Aside from that though, I think my reading habits have had a bigger impact than my listening habits, at least going by the ease with which I can do fantasy/sci-fi stuff. Reality-based stories like "More than Video Games" or "Dramatic License" were much, much harder to nail down.

Bands with a lot of narrative in their lyrics I like a lot (King Diamond and Cradle Of Filth spring to mind), but I can appreciate 90 second grind massacres with little more than "Kill, kill, die, die" as their sole lyrics too.

Morgoth were awesome before they got it into their head to play a strange kind of music. Some shifts in a band's sound I can tolerate, like when Edge of Sanity put more melodies into their sound. Some I find utterly worthless, like what In Flames have done ever since "Clayman". Morgoth's turn away from Death Metal on "Feel Sorry For The Fanatic" sadly belongs in the second bracket, along with Kreator's "Endorama" bullshit. If they want to play new music, make a new band.

With the rapid decline of good music on the radio, I'm listening to a lot more stuff on records than only two or three years ago. Basically, I use my radio for the news and maybe some classic rock stations, but that's it. The German Top 40 give the Billboard 200 a run for their money in the amount of sewage they have in them. Ugh.

Feel Sorry was a decline, but I still enjoy it for what it is.

Their new vocalist sounds so much like their old one in tone, but he isn't anywhere near as dynamic as Marc Grewe was. He hit so many screams in weird places. It was awesome.

Here's a question: Do you think your preferred music has an effect on your writing?

I can't write to music. Never could. It got in the way. When I do write anymore (which is seldom, I don't think I have finished a story in a decade), it's usually with a cam girl dancing in the background.

Feel Sorry was a decline, but I still enjoy it for what it is.

Their new vocalist sounds so much like their old one in tone, but he isn't anywhere near as dynamic as Marc Grewe was. He hit so many screams in weird places. It was awesome.

I can't write to music. Never could. It got in the way. When I do write anymore (which is seldom, I don't think I have finished a story in a decade), it's usually with a cam girl dancing in the background.

He was in Disbelief before coming to Morgoth, and they were a bit too psycho for me. But for fuck's sake, the man can scream!

I was asking about content, not neccessarily listening while writing. Considering there are still enough people out there believing that metal might negatively impact our minds or subconscious, maybe being a metalhead might lead to writing darker, more vicious stuff.

Though punk is my favorite kind there is good music in almost all genres. I always liked Celtic Frost and Carnivore was awesome in their day (RIP Petrus Steele). Drain was pretty good too though short lived.

Though punk is my favorite kind there is good music in almost all genres. I always liked Celtic Frost and Carnivore was awesome in their day (RIP Petrus Steele). Drain was pretty good too though short lived.

Without punk we wouldn't have Iron Maiden or Motörhead. Besides, The Exploited have gone pretty metal in the 90s. "Beat The Bastards" is practically thrash metal :)

Do you know German punk bands like Slime, Toxoplasma, Daily Terror or Die Toten Hosen? I mean, fucking everybody knows the Ramones and The Clash and Sex Pistols...

Last edited:
Back