Advice on slideshow?

Kumo163

Experienced
Joined
Feb 10, 2015
Posts
31
http://www.slideshare.net/CreeStetler/bdsm-intro

I'm giving a basic introduction on BDSM in a club in college and basically saying why 50 shades is deemed as abusive to many within the community. I'm trying to keep everything safe-for-work (sfw) with some light humor in it (hence some of the pictures). Open for advice/critique (please be respectful), this has to be done by Wednesday evening preferably (Feb 11 2015)
 
It's hard to give pointers when you don't know what you're going to talk about with each slide.

But definitely mention top and bottom along with dom, sub and vanilla. And while it's good that you explain the concept of red flags, maybe it might be worthwhile to remember that one person's red flag is another one's green flag or simply a sign of inexperience.

Like the "I have no limits" thing for example. Usually people who tote that are inexperienced and simply don't know where they would have their limits. Lots of red flags aren't so cut and dry as the community often wants them to be.
 
"What does BDSM stand for?" - D is also "Discipline", S is also "Submission".

Slide 7: missing apostrophe "there's"

Slide 8: I'd delete the "hurting people and" - not that all BDSM involves pain, but it's certainly not a "myth" in the same way as the "forcing them to do things they don't want to do" bit.

Might also be worth emphasising that it's not always the dominant who instigates BDSM! Quite often it's the submissive/masochistic person asking their partner for it.

Slide 12: I wouldn't put "contract" under "basic kit for starters". The "zero weight in court of law" bit - in fact, they can even be a liability.

Discuss limits - not just for subs!

Slide 13: another red flag is "A true sub would do X..." OTOH, I wouldn't necessarily think a friend request was a red flag; some people are just liberal with their friending.

Slide 14: text superimposed on busy image = nonconsensual eyestrain

Slide 15: this doesn't mesh well with the earlier one where you acknowledged the possibility of non-sexual BDSM

Slide 22: runs against the "Doms don't have to be male" from earlier.
 
For #9, I'd mention that lots of trans and nonbinary people engage in kink too.

#12: Aftercare isn't necessarily "vital", but highly recommended, especially if you haven't figured out that you don't care for it. I would also replace "contract" with "checklist".

#13: Add "Anything that one of the participants doesn't feel comfortable with."

Yeah #15 doesn't jive with the whole existence of ace and sex-repulsed kinksters. I've also never heard of these 'four pillars', fwiw...

Point #2 on slide #19 has "he" instead of "her".

And yeah #22 is... unnecessary. Aside from the whole "man = dom" thing, it uses that pesky phrase "true dominant" which IMO should just be avoided.
 
Back
Top